Author Topic: Is the Wii U underpowered?  (Read 32354 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Wii U underpowered?
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »
For many games, Wii U support would be relatively easy to include. The issue right now isn't a matter of power, it's about sales. If publishers were more confident that their games would sell on the platform we'd likely be seeing virtually every major third party title for the rest of the year on Wii U. Even once we've fully transitioned to the "next generation" (which won't be for another two years at least) a lot of things could still be made to work, if the perceived financial incentive is there.
EXACTLY. next gen isn't the massive leap that the PS3/360 were. What Nintendo needs to do is four things.

1st: create a development program designed to transfer software from x86 to the Wii U cheaply and easily.

2nd: offer a list of "here are things you could do with the gamepad" and make things like off tv play easy to implement

3rd: give developers the opportunity to access promotions such as nintendo direct.

4th: do everything you possibly can to appeal to indies.

I am sure in the eyes of Nintendo's investors for every third party title that is not on the Wii U is a licensing fee that is not going into Nintendo's pocket. I am sure that their investors have encouraged them to accommodate more developers for the Wii U.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2013, 04:03:35 AM »
A bunch of good ideas.

Yep to all of those bullets, but I'd say first and foremost Ninty needs to get those boxes into homes ;)

Price cut or a killer bundle is needed at retail by late fall. At the $350 price point if they tucked in either of the Mario games surely that would accelerate interest?
Oh yeah, and effective marketing yeesh :/

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »
Does Nintendo flood television with commercials highlighting how their little box allows for games to be played on the gamepad while the TV is in use? I'd be selling this feature hard from 3:30 PM until 7 PM every week day with a combination of "Hey, remember Wii Sports?? This is for you!" and "Are you tired of struggling with your little brat after 7 PM when it's YOU time? Well maybe it's time for Wii U?! Watch your smutty TV shows while the little ones go to town playing their favorite games quietly on the gamepad!"

As much as I hate to say this, Nintendo has got to entice the young parents out there into biting on this box. That 25-35 segment that now has at least one child approaching 5 years old is constantly having to reevaluate their budget (if they're smart), and the Wii U is already seen by some to be that console that hopes to bridge the gap between family-friendly games and the meatier, more intense experiences that just aren't good for children. That is the true potential of the Wii U: freeing up televisions while continuing to occupy restless kids, and it will also play Call of Duty online. Dad can be happy. Mom can be happy. Kids can be happy.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »
For many games, Wii U support would be relatively easy to include. The issue right now isn't a matter of power, it's about sales. If publishers were more confident that their games would sell on the platform we'd likely be seeing virtually every major third party title for the rest of the year on Wii U. Even once we've fully transitioned to the "next generation" (which won't be for another two years at least) a lot of things could still be made to work, if the perceived financial incentive is there.
EXACTLY. next gen isn't the massive leap that the PS3/360 were. What Nintendo needs to do is four things.

1st: create a development program designed to transfer software from x86 to the Wii U cheaply and easily.

2nd: offer a list of "here are things you could do with the gamepad" and make things like off tv play easy to implement

3rd: give developers the opportunity to access promotions such as nintendo direct.

1. I'd agree its something nintendo should look into too, since developers won't take the time to port games themselves. Maybe Nintendo should buy and expand straight right.

2. Eh Nintendo didn't even show great gamepad functions during E3. Look a horn for your Kart. beep beep

3.I agree nintendo needs to leverage Nintendo Direct's for third parties.

4. A Nintendo Direct just for indie games would be a great way to increase independent favor. Nintendo also needs to be more aggressive when it comes to courting indie developers. It seems that Nintendo waits for developers to get in touch with them, while Sony has been showig Dev kits to everyone.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »

1. I'd agree its something nintendo should look into too, since developers won't take the time to port games themselves. Maybe Nintendo should buy and expand straight right.

2. Eh Nintendo didn't even show great gamepad functions during E3. Look a horn for your Kart. beep beep

3.I agree nintendo needs to leverage Nintendo Direct's for third parties.

4. A Nintendo Direct just for indie games would be a great way to increase independent favor. Nintendo also needs to be more aggressive when it comes to courting indie developers. It seems that Nintendo waits for developers to get in touch with them, while Sony has been showig Dev kits to everyone.

I have said this numerous times before but Nintendo needs to approach third party developers and offer to port their games to the Wii U themselves. The deal would be the same as if the third party company was making the game except that Nintendo's employees would simply copy and past the game to the Wii U's OS and then splice in gamepad support. This would give third party Wii U supporters a significant cash incentive to deal with Nintendo because their own internal resources would not be jeopardized due to low sales.

As for marketing the Wii U, Nintendo needs to make a Nintendo Direct where they point out that Wii U is a home console version to the Nintendo DS and 3DS. Considering the financial success of those two systems it might make sense to point out that the Wii U is essentially the same thing but with a TV.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »

I am sure in the eyes of Nintendo's investors for every third party title that is not on the Wii U is a licensing fee that is not going into Nintendo's pocket. I am sure that their investors have encouraged them to accommodate more developers for the Wii U.

That makes perfect sense.  But Nintendo has been losing out on licensing fees for 15 years and they have never seemed to give the slightest **** about it before.  This was good enough incentive to not have crappy third party support on the Cube and Wii and yet Nintendo's attitude towards this has always seemed to be indifference.  You know what also costs them money?  Losing hardware sales to the competition because they have better third party support but AGAIN Nintendo has never demonstrated that they give the slightest **** about that.  There has always been an obvious financial incentive to have healthy third party support but Nintendo either doesn't recognize that or doesn't care.

Maybe they recognize it now that their console is flopping hard but it's probably too late.  The groundwork had to be done in the design phase of the Wii U.  The Wii U will have shitty third party support for its entire life unless the market outright rejects the other new consoles and the PS3 and Xbox 360 just keep on chugging along.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »
Soaring development costs is going to put Nintendo in a position where there will be huge gaps between their first party titles to ensure quality. We are already seeing this right now with the Wii U. It is only going to get worse for Nintendo as Sony and Microsoft get the wheels rolling on their next consoles. Nintendo needs third party support now more than ever. Look at what third party Nintendo has received so far, while meager, it is still a good sign that things might pick up. It is question of software and hardware sales. 

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2013, 07:04:29 PM »
We are already seeing this right now with the Wii U. It is only going to get worse for Nintendo as Sony and Microsoft get the wheels rolling on their next consoles.

?? After E3, it seems the gap between releases is going to sharply DECREASE soon.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2013, 04:31:08 AM »
One of the things I head about is the rising costs of making games, if anything this should take a sharp nose dive. IF games are becoming too costly and too time consuming to make then developers should make better tools.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »
?? After E3, it seems the gap between releases is going to sharply DECREASE soon.

The 4th q isn't bad. But if MK8 and SSB slips next year they might have a rough 2 to 3 quarters in 2014. That will hurt because launchgames that slip should fill up the ps4 xbox1 schedule .