Author Topic: REVIEWS: Wii NES RetroPort  (Read 4119 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
REVIEWS: Wii NES RetroPort
« on: January 02, 2007, 07:00:11 PM »
Ever wish you could plug your NES controller into your Wii in order to play Virtual Console games?  Now you can.

RetroZone is an independent manufacturer of NES and SNES controller adapters.  The company already sells USB adapters for controllers of these two systems.  Their latest products, debuting early in 2007, bring the adapters to Wii.  The NES RetroPort allows players to plug original NES controllers into their Wii consoles via a simple adapter cable.    

The RetroPort works flawlessly, allowing players to play NES, TurboGrafx-16, and some Genesis Virtual Console games using an NES controller.  Those unhappy with the buttons and D-pad on the Wii or GameCube controllers will find the ultimate authenticity in control using RetroPort and an original NES controller.    

Since the RetroPort plugs into a GameCube controller port, it can be used on the GameCube as well as the Wii.  A few modern games, such as Kirby’s Air Ride, may be played with the NES controller, but it is especially good for NES games included with Animal Crossing and Zelda Collector’s Edition, Genesis and Game Gear games released on the Sonic collections, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, and other classic game compilations like the Midway Arcade classics and Intellivision Lives.  One added bonus for those who also own a GameCube to USB adapter is the ability to control PC games with the NES pad.    

The NES RetroPort is available for preorder from RetroZone’s website  for $19 plus shipping and will be shipped in the first quarter of 2007.  The SNES RetroPort will follow soon afterwards.  Although a little pricey, the RetroPort relays button presses without fault or lag and is the perfect answer for the true retro gaming experience.

Pros:

• Works perfectly

•        Cons:

• Price

•                Appearance:  9.0
           The RetroPort sports a functional design.  One end plugs into the GameCube port and the other receives the NES controller.  It is designed to mesh perfectly with the NES controller plug, but otherwise is simply a black wire with plugs on each end.

Comfort:  0.0
           N/A

Quality: 10.0
           The adapter works exactly as advertised, offering precise control in any game that can be controlled using the NES set of buttons.

Value:  5.0
           The RetroPort is a little pricey since it only converts a single port and doesn’t include the actual controller.  Consumers can save a few bucks if they buy two, which will reduce shipping charges.

Construction:  9.0
           The adapter is made of quality bonded plastic and does not appear that it would break easily.

Final:  9.0
           For the ultimate retro Virtual Console experience without the cartridge blowing, RetroPort is a great accessory that accomplishes the task faultlessly.      

Aaron Kaluszka
    Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
    • NWR Junior Ranger
    • Score: 98
      • View Profile
    RE: REVIEWS: Wii NES RetroPort
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 01:56:39 AM »
    I wanted one of these when I first posted about them some time ago.  The price will keep that from happening.  I still need 9 more copies of FaceBall 2000, after all.
    Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Vance

• Score: 0
      • View Profile
    RE:REVIEWS: Wii NES RetroPort
    « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 03:13:34 AM »
    Does anybody know if there's a way to flip the A and B buttons if you use the Retroport for the GameCube version of Mega Man Anniversary Collection, or is that even necessary?
    Reese Witherspoon is so pretty
    She and Ryan Phillippe were such a cute couple I think
    I hope that the Wii and gamers of all ages could have such a loving relationship

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 31337
      • View Profile
      • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
    « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 03:54:04 AM »
    Nope, there's no configuration, so you'd have to rewire the thing if you wanted to flip the buttons, unfortunately.
    Aaron Kaluszka
    Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 04:52:51 AM »
    I initially thought "I'll hold out for a SNES one since NES games usually play pretty good on it".  Then I realized that the classic controller already does a good job of that anyway.  What we need is an N64 adapter since that controller is the one without an ideal solution on the Wii.

Still this is a cool product.

And checking out Retrozone's site I may get their SNES USB adapter.  I have a Super Smartjoy but want a second controller "slot" for MAME.  I got my Smartjoy from Lik-Sang which no longer exists thanks to Sony so this might be the easiest way to do things.

Offline dhowerter

• Score: -5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 05:34:45 PM »
    So.. is anybody gonna review the SUPER NINTENDO Retroport for Wii that the same guys just released like a week ago? :-) (it says "NOW SHIPPING" next to the SNES retroport on its page at retrousb.com/

(The review for the NES one came out like a month before the retroport did).

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 48
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 06:14:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
    What we need is an N64 adapter since that controller is the one without an ideal solution on the Wii.

YES.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com
    Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
    The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
    Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
    Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
    For never was a story of more woe
    Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • Score: 42
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 08:21:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
    What we need is an N64 adapter since that controller is the one without an ideal solution on the Wii.

YES.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com

Double Yes. Can't believe I'm agreeing with Ian and a Playstation/Halo/GTA/GoW lover!
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
    Can't believe I'm agreeing with Ian and a Playstation/Halo/GTA/GoW lover!

SLANDER! VICIOUS SLANDER! I DEMAND SATISFACTION!

Where is it written that I love Playstation? I defend the N64's carts for god's sake!

And it isn't LURV! It's... RESPECT! Yeah, a deep and earnest appreciation and RESPECT!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 07:03:12 PM »
    I would love a N64 adapter, but I would love more a N64 third party controller (because Nintendo will never do it), using the analog stick of the GC.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 07:29:28 PM »
    All a third party needs to do is make a Classic Controller with custom button mapping in the shape of an N64 controller! It's SUCH a no-brainer!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
    • NWR Junior Ranger
    • Score: -19
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 11:09:24 AM »

Originally posted by: dhowerter
    So.. is anybody gonna review the SUPER NINTENDO Retroport for Wii that the same guys just released like a week ago?
    Wii SNES RetroPort Review

It's not by NWR, but beggars can't be choosers.
    Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!