Author Topic: Watch your back with Dan Rather  (Read 2524 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Watch your back with Dan Rather
« on: March 13, 2017, 02:00:04 AM »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Watch your back with Dan Rather
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »
The Dan Rather quote jiving with the Connie Chung quote is making me lol.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
makes you wonder what "wounds" in the "front" he's talkin about
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 10:11:20 PM »
Dirty Dan doing dudes and dames dirty!

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 11:16:34 PM »
LMAO

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »
You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
Dan Rather is a-coming for you

He's making a list,
He's checking it twice,
He's gonna find out who's naughty or nice
Dan Rather is a-coming for you

He sees you when you're sleeping
And he knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So watch your back for goodness sake

You better watch out!
You better not cry
You better not pout, I'm telling you why
'Cause Dan Rather is a-coming for you
Oh let's go!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 01:40:55 AM »
I will admit that this thread finally pushed me into watching this movie:

I'd seen it a bunch of times on the shelf at my local library and, while having a faint interest in it, I never bothered to check it out. After this thread started, I became more interested in watching it. If you are unaware of what it is or about, it has to do with a news story that was done with Dan Rather about George W. Bush's military service that suffered from possible erroneous or false information which led to the end of Dan Rather's tenure of the CBS evening news. I, personally, didn't remember any news of this story or recall it being talked about during the 2004 election but I do recall talk about Dan Rather retiring because of a problematic news story that had occurred awhile before he stepped down.

In the end, I can see why this movie didn't make much of an impact when it came out and has kind of been forgotten. While engaging enough, the actual story to being covered isn't that gripping. It's not like All The President's Men or Spotlight where some major corruption is being exposed. I don't think it's all that shocking that Bush may not have had a stellar record in the National Guard as reported considering the persona he projected in his time in office. I suppose this is a difficult movie to discuss without dipping into politics which do get discussed a bit in the movie but I think that, while close to the unspoken edge, shouldn't really start an unwanted debate. In addition to that, while I am a fan of Redford, not once do I think he'd Dan Rather in the movie despite people calling him that. He doesn't look at all like Rather nor does he sound like him. It's hard to portray someone that would be so ingrained in the public's consciousness by being on the air as long as he has but it does create an odd disconnect when watching.

Moreover, one of the main arguments that the movie is trying to make of how the truth can be obscured by obsessing or focusing over other details that don't have much to do with the overall picture isn't exactly news. It's been a growing issue that people have been aware of for some time of attacking a person's character or just questioning the validity of something can be used to get people to tune out or miss the main point has been a talking point already. Spotlight and All the President's Men do a better job of portraying the work involved in developing a story and getting the facts. This movie is interesting in seeing what happens when a story starts to go south and is a bit unique in that aspect compared to its work of putting together the story. While another point it makes of TV News being controlled by corporations in league with the government to get funding for broadcasting so they are less likely to seek the truth may have some relevance, having Topher Grace shout it out and explaining to another News employee doesn't come across as explosive as the movie may think it to be even though there is probably some validity to his theory. As for broadcasting corporations concerned with making a profit on TV News, that has been covered far more smartly and, incredibly still relevant, in Network, all the ways back in 1976. Conversely, I think this movie would have been more relevant if it had been made and released in 2006 or 2007 rather than when it was in 2015.

Ultimately, I would say that, while it is probably not the most worth while use of whatever movie watching time one has, it is also not a complete waste of time either. If you ever have a modicum on interest in it, it may be worth checking out at one time. Cate Blanchett is the best part of cast and film and gives a great performance. And, to the movie's credit, I have still thought about it ever so briefly now and then since watching it a couple weeks ago and not every movie I watch has that kind of staying power so there must be something it does right.

2.5 stars out of 5.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 12:04:24 AM »
Welp, my last paper of journalism, one of my last classes ever, ends with a nonsensical quote from Geraldo Rivera that wraps it all up. I'm pretty proud.