Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1551981 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5450 on: December 31, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »
Sausage Party .... OMG

This is juvenile sexual innuendo using food THE MOVIE. and I can't fault it for that.
once you accept that his is Rated R for 15 year olds Shock Schlock humor, it's actually quite hilarious.
I fully believe that this was thought up while fucked up on all sorts of ****, and it's only more impressive that they not only got it made, but with big name talent and released in theaters.

I can only imagine the amount of horror that was felt by parents as they attempted to rush their children out of this movie as quickly as possible once they realized that it wasn't actually for children. I imagine it went much like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5p0gqCIEa8&feature=youtu.be

But all that being said, it got quite uncomfortable towards the end with the severed human head, the anal douching, and then the grand food orgy sex scene. But I still recommend this one for some good ol' stereotyping, racial profiling juvenile sexual innuendo humor in CG animated form.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: December 31, 2016, 06:25:17 PM »
I am not  a Serial Killer 8/10 Enjoyable

Ghost Hunt 7.9/10 Also Enjoyable

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: February 01, 2017, 03:51:29 PM »
La La Land 9.5/10

What a lovely smooch of a movie. And it is a MOVIE writ large in the old Hollywood tradition of musicals with heart and romance. Yet it's also very modern and has good drama and pathos. It hits the blend just right. It has two real characters and you are invested in them all the way through. There's no cheating for the sake of moving the plot forward, you believe their actions and reactions the whole time.  That's refreshing.
Great camera work, great art direction, lovely dancing, pretty good singing and really lovely songs. I wish there was one or two more songs and I wish one or two more were "belted out" in that musicals way, but the songs were terrific nonetheless.
Definitely worth seeing on a big screen with good sound. My screening seemed pitched a little quieter than I would have liked but maybe that was because we were at a Saturday matinee.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: February 07, 2017, 01:57:32 AM »
So Imdb's message boards are closing down. This shall be my IMDB.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: February 07, 2017, 02:33:19 AM »
All the more reason to create a movie forum here. Let's try and win over some IMDB refugees!  ;D ;)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: February 07, 2017, 03:57:43 AM »
They're closing the forums because over the last 17 years they've been nothing but haters and trolls. Every forum has these 5 topics: This person is the worst actor ever, Happy Birthday,  The celebrity looks like so and so, this movie sucks, This actor looks bad.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: February 07, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »
Oh yeah, lot's of topics on there are about how a person hates a movie and can't accept that other people like it and here's why they're wrong. But sometimes there is a worthwhile topic that can explain some questions I had after watching a movie or things I missed. It's just a shame that the good stuff got overshadowed by the worthless.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: February 10, 2017, 12:36:52 AM »
I saw he LEGO Batman movie tonight.

I wasn't impressed and lots of the humor fell flat on me.
I also did miss a portion in the middle (4yr old bathroom break), but this certainly was no The LEGO Movie.

the songs weren't very good, and the humor is hit and miss (mostly miss w/ me today, some might hit on a rewatch in a slightly different mood.). But my daughters favorite movies at the moment at Gremlins 1 & 2, and Stripe and the gremlins all make an active appearance in the main fight.. I will need a full rewatch, as I missed a little bit in the 1st 3rd and then a section in the last 1/3, so I'll hold off final judgement.
There was homage to lots of incarnations of the live versions of Batman too. But I'll have to rewatch before I recommend or deter.

edit: I also was kinda off put by the voice actor for The Joker. I was really hoping they'd knock that out the park considering the BS that was Leto Joker, but how on point Gotham Joker was.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:57:23 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: February 12, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »
They should have gotten Mark Hamill to do Lego Joker.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: February 12, 2017, 04:48:05 PM »
They really should have. I think that would have upped m enjoyment quite a bit. Joker just sounded like a regular guy, no real defining character to his voice and laugh.

Oh, I also saw John Wick 2 the next day, forgot to post about it here.

Movie was pretty badass. John Wick is fucking crazy. If you enjoyed the first, you will like the second for sure. There was a scene involving a pencil that will probably be the haunting talk of the movie, as the whole scene was pretty crazy.

Also pretty sure there will be a John Wick 3 at some point.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5460 on: February 13, 2017, 10:19:30 AM »
Isn't the Joker voice Zack Galifianakis? I feel like he'd be a better Riddler than Joker.  Or maybe Toyman.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: February 22, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
So last weekend i binged super hard (making full use of my cinema pass) and watched, over three days:

Hidden Figures
John Wick 2
Moonlight
Fences
The Great Wall

Hidden Figures, Moonlight and Fences all came out here last week. I realise the USA got them much earlier. All three, especially Moonlight, are fantastic films. Janelle Monae was in 2 of them, and she is just a delight (and so is her albums!).

Fences is 2 hours of Denzel and Viola Davis (two of the best actors on screen) absolutely tear it UP! Either one of them can act anyone else off the screen with no effort, but those two are just a force to be reckoned with.

John Wick was a great follow up with a unique twist on its own little universe. I'd have preferred it to be a little shorter, particularly the fight scenes, but it was a great world to jump back into. The scene BNM talks of is... something.

The Great Wall bore a lot of criticism for casting Matt Damon into what appeared to be a "white man saves another culture" like storyline, but in reality it didn't do that. His character stumbles into the events of the story by accident, and is told by other chinese characters that "they work because we trust each other". They even take this even further in the final battle by making him miss the shot, twice, to end the battle, and the chinese general has to do it herself.

But given the three "black movies" i watched over the same weekend, this was a good palate cleanser to turn my brain off to.

I'm coming up to the end of my 12 month period, but Arrival and Moonlight are my 2 favourite movies by a mile.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5462 on: February 24, 2017, 12:14:27 AM »
Saw three movies today:

Fist Fight:

This movie was pretty damn good.  Charlie Day is a terrific comedic actor and Ice Cube was a fantastic antagonist.  The supporting cast fell a little flat for me though.  For instance, Jillian Bell (Workaholics) kinda stuck to her usual comedic range, which is beginning to feel pretty stale.  And there wasn't much for Tracy Morgan to do other than support Charlie Day's character.  I see this getting a lot of negative reviews, and I don't get why.  It does try to stick to its message,  but it ends up with Charlie Day having a pretty solid character arc, I suppose.  I thought the plot was solid.  A lot happens to the characters, within the short day.  Humor surrounding the students (it's senior prank day) was juvenile, but enjoyable.  Also, not sure why they didn't just call the movie "Teacher Fight" because that's what they keep saying in the film itself.

8.5/10

John Wick 2:

Holy **** was this movie great.  Keanu's acting is meh, but the other characters do a good-enough job of acting around him.  However, I have a thing for action heros who only speak in one-liners, and this one delivers hard.  John Wick seems almost always confused or just reciting codewords, which feels about right.  The action though is great and plentiful.  I enjoyed watching him do some prep and seeing the prep pay off later.  Some action scenes are a bit long (especially one you can see coming from a mile away), but it didn't feel like it dragged the movie much.  One last note: This movie seems to pick right up from the last movie and dovetails into another sequel like the trilogy could just be one long movie.  Hope the 3rd one will be as good.

9.5/10

The Lego Batman Movie:

I went into this movie with some high expectations.  I really liked The Lego Movie and felt the humor really jived with me.  This one, not so much.  It was pretty funny, but maybe my palate wasn't quite cleansed from the last 2 films.  Either way, I loved the callbacks to earlier Batman movies and much of the cameos from other properties.  That part of the movie made it feel really "Lego".  I was mostly "meh" on the plot, especially the ending, but maybe I'll feel better about it accepting as just another interpretation of the character.  Supporting cast is great but limited in value and screen time.  The music is also okay.

7/10

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5463 on: February 24, 2017, 11:14:15 PM »
Saw more movies today.

Hidden Figures:

Janelle Monae's acting was way better than expected.  The acting was top-notch from everyone, in fact.  The Pharrell soundtrack was good, but felt under-utilized.  There are a lot of feel-good moments, which was to be expected.  Story is really great overall, but some scenes felt scattered or rushed.  They were mostly the ones outside of NASA, reflecting the characters' personal lives.  I wish that would've been touched on more.

8.5/10

La La Land:

OMG.  What the hell were people even watching with this movie?  I feel like I went to the wrong film.  The movie basically abandons its own premise of being a musical.  It then turns into a shallow, uninteresting love story spread out between long, jazz interludes.  The jazz music is great.  The John Legend song is also great.  The story was garbage.  The "musical" numbers also sucked, especially the opening number where there's a guy inexplicably doing half-hearted parkour over cars while everyone else is posing on top of the cars.  There was only one scene where there was any conflict whatsoever.  To top it off, the ending just was nonsensical.  I can't believe this is gonna win the Oscar.  Ugh.

5/10

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: February 25, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »
La La Land:

OMG.  What the hell were people even watching with this movie?  I feel like I went to the wrong film.  The movie basically abandons its own premise of being a musical.  It then turns into a shallow, uninteresting love story spread out between long, jazz interludes.  The jazz music is great.  The John Legend song is also great.  The story was garbage.  The "musical" numbers also sucked, especially the opening number where there's a guy inexplicably doing half-hearted parkour over cars while everyone else is posing on top of the cars.  There was only one scene where there was any conflict whatsoever.  To top it off, the ending just was nonsensical.  I can't believe this is gonna win the Oscar.  Ugh.

5/10

You basically summed up what I got from the trailers and previews I saw, and until your review I was actually considering watching it due to the universal praise it seemed to be getting. You have reentered my lack of a desire to not see the film. My wife and I will probably go see Hidden Figures instead on our next date night to the dollar theater.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5465 on: February 25, 2017, 03:52:58 PM »
You're welcome.  You're going to have a much better experience with Hidden Figures.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: February 25, 2017, 05:06:40 PM »
Hidden Figures and Fences, 2 movies on my Must Watch soon list.

Fist Fight and Get Out, 2 movies on my want to watch even sooner list

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5467 on: February 25, 2017, 10:42:19 PM »
You might want to expedite the former two, as they have less time to still be in theatres, assuming that's how you want to watch them.

Saw another movie tonight.

Moonlight:

This movie is squarely split into three acts centering around the childhood, adolescence, and adulthood of a black, gay man.  Each act kind of tells its own story with the general themes overarching between the three.  This movie is very, very good.  It's great seeing another modern portrayal of the black experience, especially from a side of it that's even more marginalized.  It's well acted, thanks to the strong supporting cast.  Even the kids actors work well.  The main character is very quiet and shy, so often it feels like people acting around him, but the supporting cast is strong enough to do that.  The ending left me wanting to see more of the story.  And there's obvious gaps where the story jumps in time that I would've loved to see filled.  All in all, this movie feels like a genuine experience.

9.5/10

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: February 25, 2017, 11:28:09 PM »
You might want to expedite the former two, as they have less time to still be in theatres, assuming that's how you want to watch them.

Drama's I prefer to watch at home. So I'll wait till it's available at home to do that.
but Moonlight is another one I'd heard good things about. not sure if I'll ever watch it though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Get Out and watch Get Out, NOW
« Reply #5469 on: February 26, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »
Get Out - HOLY Black Man Batman

This was Black Horror done right. Jordan Peele gets praise from me for his first directorial debut that he also happened to write and Produce. You've all seen the previews and you all expect a twist, but the twist wasn't what I thought it was gonna be, it was much more twisted than that!. And just in case any one is wondering, Yes, there is a hidden message out there for black men... and I guess black women too, but I feel like he was speaking directly to us black men with the not so hidden message of this movie.
All I can say is that the theater was APPLAUDING, not once, not twice, but several times in the fucking movie. They were fucking APPLAUDING!! It was amazing.

It's a very psychological horror, but does also have some traditional horror elements to it. And No, the trailer didn't ruin ****. You have no idea what's happening, even if you think you do (well, at least I didn't) but I assume you'll be able to piece things together just fine as it's being revealed (some in the audience didn't quite put all the pieces together before it was spelled out for them).

The movie has humor, keeps you in the edge of your seat and makes you think. It's like a Horror/Comedy/Thiller.
But I don't want to spoil anything, just go see the movie, even if you don't like horror movies. It's actually that good of a movie. If you don't want to believe me, check the tomato meter -136 Reviews @ 100% Fresh  (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/get_out).

My Toasted Review: Full Price / in theater / asap
and once you've seen it, you may want to go watch it again, for reasons that will become obvious after you've seen it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:02:52 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: February 27, 2017, 04:20:19 AM »
The UK release date is March 17. I gotta wait a while :(

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: March 02, 2017, 10:02:38 PM »
Logan - 9.5/10
Not going to get too into it right now because I'm in line for a Switch, but holy **** that movie was great. By far the best X-Men franchise movie.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: March 04, 2017, 09:53:23 AM »
John Wick 2 10/10

A true herald of the return ultra violence cinema that John Wick(Along with others like Dredd) was this is hitting 88 miles an hour.

The cold open is a great synopsis of what happened during the first film(Fucking watch this already!) and a treat unto itself for fans.

The violence is always a treat and never ever looks like a dance and massive bonus points for Keanu for doing his own fights as he rips through everyone in his way. The desperation and danger is real/ John is extremely skilful but at no time do you think he is invincible, he hurts, gets tired, and as they say John is a man of focus, commitment, sheer will.

I music seemingly took a step down, but that is mostly due to the fact you are just mesmerised by what's happening on the screen to care. I am sure with multiple viewings it would sink in just like the first.

It's clever, has excellent pacing just slowing down long enough to setup the next challenge. It expands the world we mostly caught glimpses of. The dialogue is sharp and John never minces his words. The call backs are great without being too on the nose with some good comedy to round the movie a little.

Visually it is stunning as ever with "Impossible shots", long cuts, great blocking. The director knew what he wanted, what we wanted and he got it.

A little titbit of trivia, the Cantonese name for John Wick 2 can be translated to Killing God(s), (The) God of killing or Skilled Killer.

Go Fucking watch this while it is still in cinemas but because whole **** you will get your monies worth of entertainment and then some. **** the Oscar bait and watch this instead.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: March 10, 2017, 08:13:51 AM »
Honestly has no one else seen Logan yet? It's probably actually the best superhero movie I've ever seen. Oscar-worthy performance by Hugh Jackman.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: March 10, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »
Honestly has no one else seen Logan yet? It's probably actually the best superhero movie I've ever seen. Oscar-worthy performance by Hugh Jackman.
No, because **** superhero movies. I really don't care how good it is as it is just another Wolverine movie as far as I am concerned. There has been one or two standouts that are way off the reservation(Deadpool). But otherwise they are as stale as month old, partly dissicated hamburger.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?