Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 455496 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1550 on: June 14, 2015, 07:54:07 PM »
Nintendo's going to make whatever **** they want, regardless of what I do and I'm a completionist. Yeah, I'm not a fan of those 3 characters getting added since they're not interesting picks, but they're there so I got them. Didn't bother with the Mii skins, though.
So you didn't get everything? That's... like the opposite of being a completionist.

To quote my favorite line from Finding Neverland: "Well, we dream on a budget" and the Miis are terrible anyway. I'd rather play the actual characters those skins are for, or offer those skins ON said characters like Battle Network MegaMan.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: June 14, 2015, 10:49:09 PM »
Well, after my booing at the announcement, I, like Broodwars, bought the characters anyway and spent a session playing through Classic with each of them to get a feel. I never liked Ness in 64 or Melee, but for some reason really cottoned to Lucas in Brawl, and I find myself liking how he handles here quite a bit. I played a lot of Marth/Roy in Melee, but moved off the FE characters in Brawl, and find Marth/Ike/Lucina shitty in 4, but Roy feels more "right" to me than the others by a decent margin. He seems to get around Marth/Lucina's lack of impact and Ike's sluggishness and bonkers-bad special ranges. And Ryu, whom I welcomed not at all, is actually quite fun to play, even if I can't get a grip yet on the weak/medium/strong input times. Stages are whatever, at least **** isn't flying around.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: June 14, 2015, 11:31:02 PM »
Crap I wasn't expecting them all to appear today.  I still need to finish the clear All-Star on Hard challenge with everyone before downloading these 3.  Yeah I originally said months ago I was going to just Hammer that one but after spending hours on the clear Hard with Duck Hunt, I discovered a nice strategy that works for most characters.  But it's still hard for some of the character and Mewtwo inclusion made the match he's in more annoying since he goes in the corner and spams Shadow Balls.  I fear what the AI is going to do with Ryu after watching his video's since the computer will be pulling off all his strongest attacks left and right and probably combo my ass like crazy.

Well, time to get busy.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: June 15, 2015, 12:21:25 AM »
Ryu is obscenely strong. His forward Smash and Shoryuken are stupidly powerful which is great when I'm using him. I haven't had the pleasure of getting hit by either yet.

Roy is my favorite of the four DLC characters so far. He plays differently enough from Lucina that I want to use him. I like that Sakurai had some of his animations changed so he isn't straight Marth Lucina. I'm similarly glad he retains the arc neutral-Special from Melee. The best change is his speed. He seems so much faster than he was in Melee. He's much more balanced. Getting close and taking advantage of his center-of-the-blade buff is easier for me to pull off in this game.

Right now, Lucina is my first choice. I'm competent with Palutena, Zero Suit Samus, Link, Zelda, Wii Fit Trainer, Peach, Sheik, and Samus. I'm working on Rosalina and Luma, Robin, and now Roy. I've largely just collected all the female characters in the game to use. I'd like to get better with Ryu, but I suspect that will take a significantly longer time. Hopefully, someone will post a Ryu strategy on the Youtubes.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: June 15, 2015, 12:33:00 AM »
Yeah, after decrying Roy I have to say he feels the best out of all three new characters.

I can't seem to get the hang of Ryu. He seems really vulnerable in the air, similar to Little Mac in that you should keep him at the natural Street Fighter level of jump height in order to combo well. I want to play more as him, but Roy is the definite strong point so far.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: June 15, 2015, 12:35:57 AM »
I'm OK with Roy, but I'm having trouble maintaining control of him at times, since his dash feels almost as fast as Sonic. With his moveset, I'm used to the slower gait of Ike.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: June 15, 2015, 12:41:08 AM »
That down aerial is certainly reminiscent of Ike.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: June 26, 2015, 12:22:29 AM »
Well this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone but it's the first time Sakurai has officially said it. 

http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-sakurais-new-famitsu-column-only-several-more-smash-bros-wii-u3ds-dlc-characters-planned/

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1558 on: June 27, 2015, 12:43:55 AM »
– “From now until the end, it is going to be fan serviceâ€

*Breathes heavily*
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: August 01, 2015, 03:48:47 AM »
So no offline tournaments...jeez Nintendo.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: August 23, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »
PIPING HOT NEW RUMOR:

My bro pointed me to this Neogaf thread, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1100339

To avoid visiting that website, the gist is that someone fake edited IMDB a while ago to list the English voice actor of Layton as having a credit in Smash 4. It was debunked quickly, but now that same voice actor posted this to Twitter (private account):

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: August 23, 2015, 02:00:22 PM »
Layton in Smash would be lame.

In my opinion.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: August 23, 2015, 02:18:45 PM »
It's pretty plausible, though. It's a series clearly associated with Nintendo platforms, and Nintendo has a good working relationship with Level 5, having published some of the games in the west. If they could come up with an interesting move set for Wii Fit Trainer I don't doubt they could do the same with him.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: August 23, 2015, 02:29:43 PM »
Well Layton was one of the third party characters I was originally betting on back in the day before Mega Man was even revealed.  The Layton series was a huge success in it's prime selling millions in every territory and it still has a good sized fanbase.  My original guesses for who the most likely third parties before E3 2012 were Layton and Dragon Quest Slime since those were the two most popular third party related characters associated with Nintendo systems at the time and both companies Nintendo had a good relationship with. 

Of course when Mega Man was revealed and it was announced Namco was helping develop, that changed those guesses but with DLC making anything possible as Ryu has shown, having Layton appear wouldn't surprise me one bit.  Hell, if Layton does appear then Slime might still get in as well since having Layton would show third parties not associated with Capcom and Namco have a good chance.  Dragon Quest is huge in Japan and since DQIX was a million seller in the West with Nintendo publishing, I wouldn't count that little blue guy out yet if this Layton news is indeed true.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1564 on: August 23, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
Layton in Smash would be lame.

In my opinion.

Your opinion is wrong.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1565 on: August 24, 2015, 12:11:14 AM »
what would his moves be?
and is this the voting character?
Made you look ****.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: August 24, 2015, 03:04:04 AM »
Wii fit trainer exercises. Easy moveset.

Layton solves puzzles. What, do you want to move sticks into the right position as a moveset? Sure, you could utilize his skills from the absurd cutscenes but that's not a facet of the gameplay in any way.

He may be popular, but he's not iconic. I feel that most of the third party additions have been icons of gaming and Layton would be more of a weird novelty. Again, I can see why others would disagree, I'm just saying that's how I feel. There's more prominent characters out there.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: August 24, 2015, 04:00:42 AM »
Given how some people were disappointed because they thought Ryu was an obvious, boring choice, I think it would be neat to see a out-of-left-field or strange newcomer.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1568 on: August 24, 2015, 06:58:51 AM »
Final Smash: Slot machine to machine gun.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: August 24, 2015, 07:06:36 AM »
He could be like Rosalina and Luma and just attack people using Luke.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1570 on: August 24, 2015, 07:36:10 PM »
He could be like Rosalina and Luma and just attack people using Luke.
like he full on just throws him ;D
I see nothing wrong with that! hehehe
Made you look ****.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1571 on: August 24, 2015, 08:19:35 PM »
He could run people over with the Layton mobile as a side smash, sword fight, maybe a hat cannon?

I dunno. Sakurai is the mad genius here. He'll figure it out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: August 26, 2015, 11:59:08 AM »
Shovel Knight rumor apparently corroborated by several sources.

This would be a great idea for Nintendo if true. It gives the character more exposure and strengthens its relationship with Yacht Club Games. Nintendo has been very supportive of indies this generation and I'd like to see that trend continue. I haven't played Shovel Knight yet, but I'll be all over that physical release. I'd still love to see Shante in Super Smash Bros.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: August 26, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »
This rumour sounds very plausible with the special indie event coming up, won't have to wait long to see if it's true.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: August 26, 2015, 12:39:39 PM »
...I take it back.

PUT LAYTON IN. PUT LUKE IN. ANYTHING BUT SHOVEL KNIGHT!

Seriously, the pandering to Yacht Club is ridiculous, since they've made one mediocre title and are made up of ex-Wayforward employees, who have a far more prolific franchise, more deeply ingrained in Nintendo history, and released a better game than Shovel Knight last week.

But hey, if you're all gonna waggle "It's what the fans want" in my face, I'll shut up and most-definitely skip on that DLC pack. But honestly, Shovel Knight is laughable.