Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 128066 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #525 on: August 15, 2011, 03:49:54 PM »
If you haven't updated to the latest update (Gingerbread) you can root easily (if you can use DOS in any shape or form, you can root an Android phone). If you are updated, you can reflash to Froyo and root, then install a badass ROM (again, I suggest CM7) that gets rid of all of the bloat, increases battery life, stability, speed, etc. Check out these forums[/url - start in general to learn to root, then get a custom ROM from the development section.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 15, 2011, 04:12:02 PM »
The Nexus aka Google Phone is made by Samsung. So this seems more like Google wants to cut out the middle man.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 15, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »
I think it has more to do with Apple and Microsoft patent trolling. I read that Motorola has like 17,000 patents that now belong to Google. They even ran the purchase past major partners Samsung, HTC, Sony, and LG who all supported the move. I imagine Google is willing to share those patents with them to help protect them from Apple and Microsoft.

Imagine how strong Google's patent portfolio would be if they got their hands on RIM. They'd even get their hands on those Nortel patents they lost out to last month.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 15, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
Interesting. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if the next Nexus (after prime) was developed in-house.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #529 on: August 15, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »
Imagine how strong Google's patent portfolio would be if they got their hands on RIM. They'd even get their hands on those Nortel patents they lost out to last month.

With the alliance Microsoft and Research in Motion have, I doubt RIM would let Google buy them. If anything, I would expect Microsoft to buy them if Google showed interest.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 15, 2011, 05:01:31 PM »
Interesting. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if the next Nexus (after prime) was developed in-house.
Oh, most likely. I'm sure this doesn't really affect HTC or Samsung. They only made the Nexus One and Nexus S because Google footed the bill. This might actually be good for them if Google decides not to release as many phones as Motorola did.
With the alliance Microsoft and Research in Motion have, I doubt RIM would let Google buy them. If anything, I would expect Microsoft to buy them if Google showed interest.
It was just an example because Google has been patent hunting (they recently bought a grab bag of patents from IBM). In any case, I'm not sure how strong that alliance between RIM and Google is. Bing is replacing Google as the default search engine on Blackberry phones. If Microsoft goes after anyone, I would expect them to go after Nokia first though nothing is really stopping Microsoft from going after both. Microsoft and Google are both competitors of RIM because they both have competing platforms. Android just happens to be handing both of their asses to them. It really just depends on who makes a better offer. HP swooped in at the 11th hour and bought Palm. I'd say Google has more to gain.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:12:27 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 15, 2011, 06:02:49 PM »
According to Google, Moto Mobil will be run separately from Google and will have to put in a bid at the end of every year to build the next Nexus like usual. Chances are, in good faith, Moto will not win this or next year.

But this was all about the patents and hardly about the hardware.
Google is amassing a Patent library to shut down all this patent war crap that has been going around. By purchasing Motorola, they bump themselves upto somewhere in the Top 10 mobile patent holders, up from somewhere in the mid-high 20's. Now Google will be able to attach all these patents to the Android license and all licensed devs (and especially Google) will be better protected from a majority of the frivolous lawsuits that have been going around.

I also just read about Google buying over 1000 patents from IBM related to networking and running fiber optics or something like that. And then I think about that Google FiOS that is being tested out.
Free nationwide wifi for all Android phones incoming?

But I'm also very interested in what Google is gonna do with the Moto Mobil set-top boxes where they have ~60% of the market (Comcast, Time-Warner, AT&T, etc etc.). Will they push some Google Software into the boxes like GoogleTV? I really hope they do, because for as big as these boxes are, they could be doing alot more than they are.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 15, 2011, 06:55:45 PM »
The only real benefit of the Nexus line was that it offered stock Android and could receive the newest updates as soon as Google made them available. Even run independently, I can't see why Motorola would want to continue investing in Blur. That said, I think either Google kills the Nexus line and we pretty much see multiple Nexus-esque vanilla Android phones from Motorola throughout the year or Motorola starts producing Nexus phones.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 15, 2011, 07:06:31 PM »
Quote from: Google
We have the Nexus program and the lead device strategy. What we do is we select an OEM around Christmastime of each year -- a chip company, everything else -- and they all huddle together in one building, and around the holidays a new device pops out. That won't change, Moto will be a separate business and part of that bidding process.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 15, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »
Fair enough. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm curious how this bidding process works for Motorola as it'd essentially be giving money to itself. I can only buy this independent company stuff to a point. Motorola's entire strategy changes knowing that ultimately they answer to Google as a wholly owned entity. Believing otherwise is just plain gullibility. Google isn't going to invest $12.5 billion (to my knowledge, their largest investment ever) without checking up on what Motorola is doing and making sure they aren't fucking up.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 16, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »
I don't think you've done any reading on this...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 16, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »
On the contrary, I've done a lot of reading on this. I'm aware of what Google is saying. I'm not inclined to believe everything that I hear, especially from major corporations. How many times have we seen a company say one thing then do another? This isn't the first time a company has claimed a recent acquisition will operate independently then turn around and do the opposite down the road. If Google can raise profits or cut losses by absorbing Motorola and taking over their day to day operations, we'll see how much all the things they've been saying is worth.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:06:18 AM by Adrock »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 17, 2011, 09:21:20 PM »
Leaked pictures of the Droid HD on Engadget and Android Central...too lazy to link but it looks pretty awesome. Gigantic screen on that thing. Verizon wins again!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 19, 2011, 01:07:14 PM »
HP is discontinuing webOS hardware (and apparently their PC hardware too). I'm glad I wrote off the Pre 3 a while ago though I don't think HP is even launching it in the US anymore. HP stated they "will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software going forward." I supposed they could make it open source, but it really just sounds like they want to unload it. What a waste. Considering RIM desperately wants their QNX operating system to just be webOS in Blackberry clothing, RIM should have made a play for Palm last year then spent the next 15-18 months bumping up security to make it enterprise compliant. Both companies would probably be in better positions today. I wonder if Google is still patent hunting. I'm sure Palm had some good ones.

Anyway, this Droid HD intrigues me. If that comes out this year, I wonder what the point of the Bionic is because the Droid HD looks like it shits all over everything.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 01:10:04 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 19, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »
I think I'm ready to root my phone and install some custom ****.

After my phone tweaking out the way it did this morning, to needing my phone as a wireless router for my 3DS for an upcoming trip, I think I'm ready to do it.

So I've read some positive recommendations for Cyanogen Mod(CM7) so that's what I'm gonna install, but why is this so damn complicated!?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 19, 2011, 04:28:35 PM »
I have a rooting question.

Once I hook up the phone to the computer through USB, what setting should it be under?

PC Mode (which I currently have it on), Mass Storage, Charge only?

and when they say to do something in "terminal", does that mean at the command prompt or the run/search bar in Win7?

edit:
Here is where I'm having issues
Gaining Root Access

On the computer, open terminal and run the following commands:adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/adb shellchmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin/data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

I think windows is not doing the chmod command and I end up with a $ instead of a # and thats after I do the shell command.

If anyone know what I did wrong or has an easier way to root a Gingerbread Droid X than the guide I've been following: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Motorola_Droid_X:_Full_Update_Guide

please let me know asap.

p.s. I'm running a Droid X on Android 2.3.3
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:07:04 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 20, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »
Ok I figured it out.

When they said firm ware they meant system version.

I got Cyanogen up an running, but now I have no access to the the android market, my apps, the bootloader program, gmail app, or anything of the sort. WTF went wrong?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 20, 2011, 05:56:05 PM »
See, this is why I would get a Nexus phone and start with stock Android if I were to get an Android phone. Not only would I no have access to the Android market and apps, I'd be on fire and my bricked phone would be calling my mother a whore. I can't be bothered.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 20, 2011, 06:15:10 PM »
I figured it all out. All is good in the land of the rooted now.

Motorola was sure to make this as difficult as possible.
But, had I known I needed to downgrade my FW before starting, it all would have went smoother.

The Wiki and all the guides say you have to be on Android 2.3.340 or lower
My Android was 2.3.3
but what they meant was that your System Version needed to be 2.3.340
My system version was 2.6.something.somethingsomething and prevented everything was working right.

Then after I had to hunt down a Droid X CM7, since it wasn't on the CM7 wiki like they lead you to believe, I also had to d/l the google apps file to get all my apps back (except for my Verizon Backup Assistant, which I'm not sure how to replace).

So after I exported all my contacts from MyVerizon into my google account and then reinitiated the account sync, all is good now.

Only took me 27 hours to figure it all out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 20, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »
Sorry I didn't check this thread over the past day I would have tried to help. I think CM7 is so awesome, but really just about anything other than a carrier-branded stock ROM is going to be a massive improvement. I love the way your GMail account automatically brings back all of your apps from the Market, even on custom ROMs. BNM now install adfree to block all the ads in webpages and apps, and use CM7 tethering (it's in Settings>CyanogenMod Settings) to use your phone as a WiFi hotspot. Also make sure to get Veetle from the Market (don't need root for it), they finally released an Android app and it's basically the best thing ever.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 20, 2011, 10:28:33 PM »
Can I do OTA updates?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 20, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »
Yes but you will lose root. Wait for someone to make a zip that bypasses the bootloader so you can keep it, then just use CWM recovery or the regular recovery menu to update. It's pretty easy after you've done it a couple times. I used to flash my Windows Mobile phones like crazy, but it's a different process with Android.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 21, 2011, 03:14:04 AM »
I was hoping to try out an animated wallpaper, but they don't work on my phone now.

Also my video camera ain't working and the wifi tether option isn't where you said either.
I found one in the widgets, but it don't work. Downloaded Barnacle, but that don't work either.... atleast my 3DS won't connect to my phone as a hotspot even though the phone was broadcasting.

Any ideas on what to do to fix those issues?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 21, 2011, 09:00:30 AM »
Here is a short article mentioning that WiFi Tether for Root Users works on the Droid X with CM7. As far as Live Wallpapers, I see there is a problem (at least as of July) with them working...not sure if there's a fix. Sorry if I got you into this, there are plenty of other ROMs you can try out, though I'm pretty shocked at how limited the development is on the DX, but it's probably because the bootloader is still locked. The xda-developers forums still have quite a few custom ROMs linked, and several can be found in ROM Manager from the market. You may want to try out MIUI, it looks like a much improved iOS port (though of course it's still Android) and it's pretty customizable too.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 21, 2011, 10:57:01 AM »
That Wifi tether worked beautifully.
I'm not at all worried about live backgrounds because my battery life sux enough as it is, but I do need a solution for my camera issues. Can't do with out my video/camera.

I will probably ride out CM7 for a while, but if I wanted to switch roms, would I need to do a complete wipe first?

edit: Turns out that it's not just my video camera that don't work. I can't play videos I've laready recorded and I can't watch youtube videos. Not through the youtube app or the internet browser. Strangely enough, I can watch Netflix though.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:08:11 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »