Author Topic: It's fun to be IGNorant! (aka NSMBW trolling thread)  (Read 15664 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: It's fun to be IGNorant! (aka NSMBW trolling thread)
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
I wrote a review for you, it's up higher on this page.  You'll love it, probably.

I did, and found the satire lacking.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »
Players and reviewers intentionally skip fun content and don't play for fun anymore.  It's like they've got 24 hours to be an honorary beta tester, and spit out some findings.  I can't listen to these people.

There just isn't enough FACE for my PALM.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2009, 06:54:09 PM »
I wrote a review for you, it's up higher on this page.  You'll love it, probably.

I did, and found the satire lacking.

What satire?  It's literally for you.  Indeed.

Why haven't they mapped fireballs to something other than the run button, anyways?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
As already noted Game length is subjective for each individual that plays the game. Some people play the game and rushes through it and some others take their time checking and exploring the game world. For example Pokemon Platinum I beat the elite 4 a few days ago after getting it in August. Some people it takes a week.

If we are taking about the time/value aspect then that basically falls into the game development costs associated with games these days. You guys think games are to short? Well try your hand at making a game and see if you can do better.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »
If we are taking about the time/value aspect then that basically falls into the game development costs associated with games these days. You guys think games are to short? Well try your hand at making a game and see if you can do better.

Ah, the old straw man argument: "well, you think you can do better?!  Well, then your opinion doesn't matter, then!"  Dude, I've worked for a game developer and seen the process, so I know full well about resource allocation within a project and how at the end of the day you just have to put out a product.  And the developer I worked for was an especially penny-pinching studio.  I also have heavy modding experience working on a pet project with WarCraft III, so don't come to me whining that "well, you don't know how hard it is!"  I probably know better than you do.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »
Honestly, it doesn't matter if I or anyone else can do better at making a game. We are people who play games and if a game does not satisfy our expectations then that is tough luck for the makers of said game. They are making a product for us so they have to try and satisfy us.

If I go to a restaurant and find the food lacking, does the waitress say 'well, you try to make a better meal'? No. You satisfy the customer. If I buy a large pizza, but they give me a medium pizza in a large box, there is a problem.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2009, 07:14:59 PM »
If you want hours and hours of extremely tough Super Mario Bros., just go download and play hacks and patches.  That's all you need to do.  Since you're such an experienced game designer, why not make your own stages?

Nintendo has made a game that is a traditional Super Mario Bros. platformer.  They've revisited just about EVERYTHING we loved about SMB 3 and SMW.  Held items, increased difficulty, themed stages with unique properties, Yoshi, and more.  They've added in simultaneous multi-player.  Yes, it is about as long as those former titles have been, traditionally.  Deal with it.  That's the reality.  If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it, and send a letter to Nintendo about it.

Seriously, I'm glad Mario's 2D platforming adventures are back.  I'll be buying the game and playing it with my roommate.  I'll play the multi-player happily.  And when I've beaten and completed it?  I'll play it again.  Because unlike other games, I've found I can revisit Mario titles more than once, partly because they aren't epic in length, partly because their stage design is refreshing, unique, and stays fun for years and years.

If you're not happy with that, I really think the genre isn't for you, and you want the game to be something it never will be.  That's totally cool and all, but if you keep wanting that, you're not going to be happy, because it's not going to happen.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »
HOLY ****, NEW VOCAB

can't take credit for it, Bloodhound Gang's been using it since 2004

I think...I think EC was joking....

So, what you're hearing is that this game is "short" if you regularly play Super Mario Bros. and rush through it as fast as possible to beat it to play a review. Stop being stupid.  Seriously.  Stop. Being. Stupid. STOOOOOOOP.

Quotes from http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=12629

Alright, first off: Stop being a forum flamer.  Seriously.  Stop.  Being.  Forum.  FLAAAAAMER.

Now then, generally I've found that my finishing time for games is roughly 2-3 hours shorter than what reviews estimate it as.  The content they skipped through usually adds 2-3 hours of playtime onto a game experience, so in the end we're right back where we started: it's still short for a modern game, especially a console game.

This dude on the other hand....

Somewhat.

I read a snippet from the article on a video game news widget i have on my phone (from the toilet) and the "100 hour epic" remark pissed me off because i assumed it was being serious. The thought of anyone expecting a side scrolling mario platformer to be "epic" or anywhere near that length is so stupid it makes my head hurt.

5-6 hours for a game like that does seem right, because i could probably get through SMB1, 3, or SMW in less time than that at a regular pace since i'm familiar with the games now but a lil rusty. Blitzing thru them in less time that than is expected because once people get familiar with the game you'll be seeing speed runs on youtube just like there are for every other mario platformer.

I don't give a **** what you think a modern game should be either because this isn't a modern game. This is an oldschool game being released in the modern day with a more modern look, yes, but side scrolling platformers are no longer the norm of the video game industry so expecting them to be a "100 hour epic" is FUCKING RETARDED. If this game had 1 million levels and each had a time limit of 1hr because they were so fucking long, i'd never even pick it up because of how stupid the thought of it is.

love how this funhouse thread turned serious
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2009, 08:00:27 PM »

I think this thread is going to usurp the 'real' thread. A real coup.
My Game Collection

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2009, 08:04:18 PM »
Nope, this thread is about how terrible people's reactions to something awesome can be, through and through, Stratos.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2009, 08:05:38 PM »
I'm not going to say the people complaining about length are wrong, but I am going to say it's their fault that there is such a thing as a Werehog.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »

I think this thread is going to usurp the 'real' thread. A real coup.

While i would love to have that victory for the Funhouse, i'm afraid it won't happen since SOMEONE decided to throw around bannable (is that even a word?) language...

So, what you're hearing is that this game is "short" if you regularly play Super Mario Bros. and rush through it as fast as possible to beat it to play a review. Stop being stupid.  Seriously.  Stop. Being. Stupid. STOOOOOOOP.

Quotes from http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=12629

Alright, first off: Stop being a forum flamer.  Seriously.  Stop.  Being.  Forum.  FLAAAAMER.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2009, 08:26:30 PM »
I'm not going to say the people complaining about length are wrong, but I am going to say it's their fault that there is such a thing as a Werehog.

Now that's a low blow.   ;)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »
C'mon guys, serious thread.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2009, 11:52:24 PM »
Serious thread for a serious board.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2009, 12:05:46 AM »
People paid $50 for Super Mario Brothers 3 back in the day, and if you factor in inflation that's over $80. Why have we now reached a point where games are cheaper than they've ever been on technically superior systems and a game of this type is no longer acceptable as being full price?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2009, 12:21:03 AM »
Just to clarify, I'm fine with getting this game @ $50. I just thought it would be longer.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2009, 12:24:49 AM »
People paid $50 for Super Mario Brothers 3 back in the day, and if you factor in inflation that's over $80. Why have we now reached a point where games are cheaper than they've ever been on technically superior systems and a game of this type is no longer acceptable as being full price?

Because Nintendo's competitors and even Nintendo's own projects (like the Zelda and Metroid series) have shown that you can get more bang for your buck than this without making the experience any less fun.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2009, 12:28:29 AM »
I'd recommend playing the game before making that conclusion. Besides, even the Zelda and Metroid games on the NES and SNES took a lot longer to complete than Mario.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2009, 03:10:27 AM »

Creating a game like Mario 3 is far cheaper for the games industry today than it was in the 80's, while a game like Mario Galaxy is far more expensive.  Its harder to justify paying the same amount for both games.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2009, 04:59:53 AM »
If it were so much easier to make, you'd think we'd see more AAA platforming titles, eh?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2009, 11:10:35 AM »
If it were so much easier to make, you'd think we'd see more AAA platforming titles, eh?

I'm sure the complete market over-saturation of the mascot platformer over the last decade or so and the subsequent death of the genre has absolutely nothing to do with that, nor the general market abandonment of 2D as a console gaming format until fairly recently.

Incidentally, I suggest this conversation carry on elsewhere.  I have to agree with several of the other posters: this is too serious to be in the funhouse.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:26:02 AM by broodwars »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
Why don't you guys play the game first before you **** all over it? Just a thought.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2009, 03:17:14 PM »
Why don't you guys play the game first before you **** all over it? Just a thought.

But we're Nintendo fans. What else are we supposed to do with upcoming games? ;)
My Game Collection

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2009, 03:48:29 PM »
Just because it's longer doesn't mean it's better.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent