Author Topic: It's fun to be IGNorant! (aka NSMBW trolling thread)  (Read 15661 times)

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
It's fun to be IGNorant! (aka NSMBW trolling thread)
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:08:41 PM »
They are going to dock it 0.5.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:51:48 PM by Peachylala »
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: IGNorant assumption of NSMBW's review score
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »
I'll see you that .05 points and raise you .10
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »
I think it will get a 9 from IGN and a 9.5 from GameSpot. That's my prediction.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
I think it will get a 9 from IGN and a 9.5 from GameSpot. That's my prediction.

8.5 from IGN and a 8.0 from Gamestop
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:29:57 PM »
GameSpot is a lot more fair than IGN so I highly doubt that IGN will give it a higher score.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 09:33:17 PM »
NWR will give it an 8.5 because it's not in HD.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:35:28 PM »
5.0  Presentation
The use of classic Mario standbys – the pipes, Yoshi, coins, etc. -- make this feel like an actual NES game. Pause menu could be a bit better, the corners look so jagged on my 100" HDTV. Everything looks fine otherwise.

6.5  Graphics
Characters look great, but the blocks always looks flat, blocky, and awful. Everything moves fluidly, but some of the models look so last-gen and non-HD. The colors are too bright.

7.9    Sound
The "oofs" and "umphs" get annoying after awhile. I can't believe it's 2009 and we're still reading text instead of hiring voiceactorsimmerisionHDstereoPS3360

8.8    Gameplay
This is the system that has worked well for years on the NES, and the new powerups and cooperation keep things fresh. The gameplay is kind of stale though.

9.7    Lasting Appeal
Co-op in a Mario game is a dream come true and the game is a blast even in one-player mode, but I still wish I could play online.

7.0 OVERALL
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:45:18 PM »

"NSMBWii is a decent effort, but in the end, it's still not a co-op Metroid."

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 09:50:22 PM »
GameSpot is a lot more fair than IGN so I highly doubt that IGN will give it a higher score.

No comment.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 10:15:57 PM »
8.9 from IGN, 9.2 from Gamespot.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 10:20:07 PM »
I was curious so I decided to do a little comparison. Note that GameSpot's score are in increments of .5.

Wii Sports Resort
GameSpot: 8
IGN: 7.7

Wii Music
GameSpot: 6.5
IGN: 5

Wii Fit Plus
GameSpot: 7.5
IGN: 8.2

Super Smash Brothers Brawl
GameSpot: 9.5
IGN: 9.5

Super Mario Galaxy
GameSpot: 9.5
IGN: 9.7

Mario Kart Wii
GameSpot: 8.5
IGN: 8.5

Mario Party 8
GameSpot: 6.5
IGN: 5.2

Punch-Out!!
GameSpot: 8.5
IGN: 8.8

ExciteBots
GameSpot: 8
IGN: 8.4

WarioWare: Smooth Moves
GameSpot: 9.1
IGN: 8.2

No More Heroes
GameSpot: 9
IGN: 7.8

Endless Ocean
GameSpot: 7
IGN: 8

Animal Crossing City Folk
GameSpot: 7.5
IGN: 7.5

HotD Overkill
GameSpot: 8.0
IGN: 8.3

Okami
GameSpot: 9
IGN: 9

I don't see anything particularly unfair about either one, actually.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »
No Alien Syndrome score comparisons?  Really?

But seriously, I could have sworn IGN gave out 8.8s to just about every Nintendo game out there.  TP, Punch Out, and one main Pokemon title pop into mind, but I thought there were more.  What did they score that Eidos game that got Jeff Gerstmann fired?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
IGN -  8.7
Game Spot - 8.0
Giant Bomb - 5/5
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »
What did they score that Eidos game that got Jeff Gerstmann fired?

Kane and Lynch
GameSpot: 6
IGN: 7

No Alien Syndrome score comparisons?
But seriously, I could have sworn IGN gave out 8.8s to just about every Nintendo game out there. 
Alien Syndrome
GameSpot: 5
IGN: 5.5

Maybe you have bad taste?

Twilight Princess
GS: 8.8
IGN: 9.5

Pokémon Battle Revolution
GS: 5.5
IGN: 5

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl
GS: 8.5

Pokémon Platinum
GS: 8

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 10:39:59 PM »
Those are pretty high for Alien Syndrome.  I'm a little surprised!

Hmm, now I need to come up with an absolutely miserable game that doesn't deserve to even be reviewed.  I'll be back.

I'm still betting that one of those reviews will mention a want for Metroid co-op games, and I'll bet there's a good chance we'll see someone mention that Nintendo should apply the co-op thing to games like Zelda, forgetting about the Four Swords games/modes.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 10:50:04 PM »
How about this?

Anubis II
GS: 1.5
IGN: 2

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 10:56:10 PM »
Nothing that scored a half a point?  That's too bad.  What are you using to find these, metacritic?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 10:58:49 PM »
Memory.

I don't think GameSpot gives out scores lower than 1. I know the only game which even got a 1 is Big Rigs for PC. The next closest is Superman 64 with 1.3.

I don't know about IGN because I haven't read as many of their reviews.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »
Wii Music media reviews are automatically null since playing SIMPLE MUSIC is too much for non-casual reviewers to handle.
I'm still betting that one of those reviews will mention a want for Metroid co-op games, and I'll bet there's a good chance we'll see someone mention that Nintendo should apply the co-op thing to games like Zelda, forgetting about the Four Swords games/modes.
Oh god...

"New Super Mario Bros. Wii's multiplayer plays out very well. However, we wish Nintendo implanted this in Zelda and Metroid. Why are we complaining about this? Well it's on the Wii and it's not in HD, but hell we complain about everything made for Wii.

Graphics 7.0
Good old colorful Mario graphics that run in (insert Fps here) and looks well in (insert HDp here). We just wished the game had more detail because we are fuckwads who just want something to rag on.

Audio 4.0
No orchestra music. Small voice blurbs. We wish you gave this audio Mario Galaxy caliber music, but we would still complain about it.

Gameplay 6.0
It's simple to get into. Problem? Not complicated enough.

Replayability 4.0
Like all Mario games, you will want to go back again and again. Why the low score? It has no Wi-Fi. SEE? We can complain about everything.

OVERALL 6.5
Time to troll for internet hits!
[/b]

This is what IGN's review will be like. I feel so dirty.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »
STOP THAT!  We're going to get editors from IGN and GS stealing our blurbs!  Even worse, they'll try to hire one of us!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 01:21:48 AM »
How many reviews will state the following?

"looks good. ...for a Wii game."
"Should have been a downloadable title"
"Lack of Online play is a big mark against"
"Just a remake of the DS game"

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 01:42:22 AM »
Everyone's getting so good at this.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 03:09:19 AM »
Don't forget the requisite IGN-UK review that does nothing but up the score .2-.5 just to be different.

I still want to know why IGN UK exists when they don't even catch things like games not optimized for PAL TVs *COUGH*Madworld*Cough*
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 03:10:43 AM »
Don't forget the requisite IGN-UK review that does nothing but up the score .2-.5 just to be different.

I still want to know why IGN UK exists when they don't even catch things like games not optimized for PAL TVs *COUGH*Madworld*Cough*

They speak british, that is why they exist. Duh.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 03:16:05 AM »
Greg could single-handedly out perform the entire IGN-UK crew.

Add a couple UK/PAL-Land users like KDR 11k and you have a PAL crew better than IGN UK.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 03:25:16 AM »
Wii Music media reviews are automatically null since playing SIMPLE MUSIC is too much for non-casual reviewers to handle.

Actually, the problem reviewers had with the musical selection in Wii Music isn't that it was simple, but that it was shitty.  A bunch of public domain music and a couple actual Nintendo songs in a Nintendo game?  Seriously?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 05:55:50 AM »
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Review (North America)
By Jason Ross, Forum Member

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the Newest Super Mario Experience Yet!

Nintendo's bold move is sure to impress those who are new to the Super Mario Bros. gang.  Will it impress you?

New Super Mario Bros. Wii (NSMBWii) is Nintendo's perfect elixir to anyone who hasn't played a video game in sixteen years.  Indeed, the title comes with jam-packed with all the features, stages, enemies, items, and fun that you remember from Mario games of yesteryear, and delivers even more to the table by tying it all together with an overwhelming multiplayer system.  If you're looking for a platformer with lots of creativity, challenge, and originality, but top-notch and simple controls, this could be the game for you!

NSMBWii reminds us of a time when games were simpler.  Unfortunately, once the nostalgia passes, you realize, despite everything new to the table, the amalgamation of the things we loved in '93, along with new ideas, like penguin suits, would just be a little too dated for modern gamers.  To begin, while the game is rendered in 3D, movement is locked on a confined path, similar to other Wii games, like Ghost Squad and other light-gun style games.  The difference, though, is that the gamer controls when they move, but overall, the experiences are very similar.  Stages take advantage and manipulate the linear design by hiding alternate routes in pipes or even textures.  It's a clever concept, but it executes poorly: Often, in order to get the most out of a stage, I had go back to it, choose it, and take an alternate pathway, even branching to a different end in order to clear it.  What's most unfortunate about this execution is that gamers won't get the full game's experience in one run-through.  It's almost as if Nintendo decided to hand us half a game!

While the game offers stunning digital precision, I often found myself attempting to aim the fireballs I'd throw with the 1 and 2 buttons, resulting in imprecise jumping and running speeds.  Given the number of enemies and pits on screen at once, I'd even lose lives due to this type of error.  I can't help but feel this is the fault of the Wii Remote and it's lack of analog control inputs.  Many gamers will find themselves questioning how other consoles could optimize the controls.  Free, simple analog control of Mario's movement and speed with one stick, while control over where he faces with the other would have been optimal, and much more simple.  Had jumps and fireballs been mapped to shoulder buttons, I'd fee much more at home.  However, with NSMBWii, movement is limited to the D-pad, and since there's so few buttons, throwing fireballs AND running were mapped to the same button!  Furthermore, the Nintendo has hashed in motion controls once again!  In a rather uninspired and lackluster presentation, Mario can pick up his friends and chuck them around the screen by shaking the Wii Remote.  It's needless to say execution of the motion is difficult at best, rendering the technique unusable and impractical at best.

NSMBWii's story is lacking even basic necessities, and where it tries, it's filled with plotholes.  In a nutshell, a princess is captured by several bipedal turtles, and so two plumbers and two guys with funky hats set out to save her.  I understand the princess aspect, certainly, but one thing I've never been clear about in the Mario franchise is the dependence on plumbers.  I can't see how any gamer would choose to play as a plumber over a knight, a prince, a magician, or something similar.  I expected to learn about why there were bi-pedal turtles (The game calls them the Koopa Kids), and why the citizens of the mushroom kingdom all wear such odd clothing, as well as some backstory to how mushrooms can grant instant growth or flowers can provide the ability to throw fire and ice.  Instead, no explanation is given, and the gamer is expected to ponder such things on his own.  If anything else, this shows how Nintendo has failed to develop story and plotlines since the sixteen bit era.  We're never even treated to a hint of where the Koopa Kids came from!  What story is present is clearly black and white, with no sense of drama or urgency on either side.  If you even turned on any other game in the past month, you've probably experienced better story than this.

Each area to the game is themed, but some stages branch away from the theme, taking place in abandoned houses, underwater, or in a castle/tower.  You'll find the music in the themed areas fits the game well, but there simply aren't enough tracks.  A stage with mushroom-based platforms in the first area has the same music as one in the fifth area.  All abandoned ghost houses have the same music, and subsequently lose much individuality.  Boss fights have their own songs.  Oddly enough, when you move from area to area, sound effects rarely are altered.  Mario's jump consistently makes the same noise, as well as powering up and stomping on enemies.  No effort was made to even capture the acoustic inside, aside from a small amount of echo.  While the surface Mario runs on does effect the running sound, at no point did it sound like he was running on anything real, but at least we've had an update from the last main, linear, console Mario title, where there was no running sound at all.

Perhaps what surprises me the most is Nintendo's admission to control and stage design flaws:  When you die eight times on one stage, at the beginning of the stage a switch appears, and Nintendo literally takes control of the game away from you.  It's literally like buying a game to play, and then just watching as an older brother yanks the controller from you after you struggle a little bit at one point.  Sure, things begin very basically, but by the second or third area, stages were much more difficult, and I found myself forced to just watch as big brother would steal the controls, beat the stage, hand the control back to me, and then yank them away on the next one.  On some stages, I grew so frustrated with the controls that I found myself intentionally dying, just to let the game play with itself for me, so I could move on.  To make matters worse, when you're not in control, you're forced to just watch Luigi (The game uses Luigi to do it instead of Mario, for further embarrassment...) skip over any alternate paths you might notice.  You could take control back from the game and travel the alternate route, but to be frank, once you do that, you're dead in the water, just waiting for a problem to arise.

From what I understand, the game truly shines in multiplayer.  At the time of press, I've been unable to experience multiplayer, as the game doesn't have any built in AI, nor does it offer an online mode. Unless you know several people who are interested in mid-90's style video games, you probably won't get a chance to experience it, either.  I suppose I'd have struggled with the matter anyways, since a lack of online means I won't have to trudge through friend-codes and Nintendo's poor online service, but still, I'd have enjoyed even just knowing the option is there.

To sum it up, Nintendo's brought in hordes of originality and mashed it with clever dashes of nostalgia, but despite all the memories, it reminds me of how it's a good thing video games have "Grown Up" since Super Mario World.  The entry might be a hit if you still enjoy Super Mario Bros. or one of the series other classic entries, but a modern gamer will likely find the title outdated and flawed.  Perhaps if the game fit modern standards, it would leave a more lasting mark, but as it is now, it's use is solely to take a hazy stroll down memory lane, even bringing me to question my taste as a new gamer back in the day.  New Super Mario Bros. Wii retails at $50, but if you're interested, I'd wait until it hits the bargain bin in two or three months, and pick it up for $20, maybe a little less.

Pros
-The game only utilizes the Wii Remote, so there's no random accessory of the week involved.
-Brings back old characters, and mixes them with new environments, enemies, friends, and items.
-Super Guide system can get you through all the tricky parts so you can finish the game.

Cons
-Unfortunately, the game doesn't allow use of the classic controller for more accurate control.
-No "real" story effort was made to make sense from the nostalgia.
-The game snatches control away from you constantly... What's the point of playing?
-Lacks online modes
-Features remixes of classic music, but not the original

Graphics: 6.0  Nearly everything old seems to be ripped from the DS version, and it shows.  New pieces of game art and models have clearly been scaled back to match this.  Looks good for a Wii title, but I wasn't impressed.

Sound: 4.0  The game features new remixes, but nothing was orchestrated.  Additionally, there were new songs to match new areas and stages.  Music was reused in nearly all stages of similar setting, though, making parts unmemorable.

Control: 2.0  Digital control is precise, but analog control would've been much better.  Due to difficulties with fireballs and running, accidental suicide often occurs.  Shoe-horned motion controls also attribute to the low score; they were virtually unusable.

Gameplay: 3.0  The game would've been much better had I a chance to play it!  The Super Guide feature and control issues remove much of the experience from the gamer, and would've been better fit left out.

Lastability: 5.0 Since the stages have alternate routes, I bumped up the score a little bit.  The branching paths are really more of an alternate to the normal ones, though.  Once you've beaten the game, it's pretty much over.

Final Score (Not an Average): 5.0

The game is an outdated effort at nostalgia, really, and while fun and charming at moments, it really brings nothing new to the table.  In fact, it brings leftovers to the table from last week, the crummy Asian place you only tolerate for variety.  While not perfect, the concept has made me wonder why we don't see updates to other Nintendo franchises similar to this one, like Zelda or Metroid.  If you haven't touched a controller since the SNES, it could be fun.  Consider picking it up if that's your case.

Jason Ross, Forum Member

Yes I did just submit this as an application to jobs [at] nintendoworldreport (dot) com, and yes I did just receive a notification email that said address does not exist.  Now I'm left pondering how I will get this read by the staff! :(

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »
Awesome review.

Actually, the problem reviewers had with the musical selection in Wii Music isn't that it was simple, but that it was ****ty.  A bunch of public domain music and a couple actual Nintendo songs in a Nintendo game?  Seriously?
Then again, IGNorant Matt actually stated months before release that he was going to rip apart Wii Music in his review, from what I heard. Don't mean to derail, but I think the songs were chosen because the wider audience Nintendo was going for would be most familiar with them than "Molgera Battle" or something.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 01:53:43 PM »
IGN UK has their own podcast now. I was dissapointed. Not British enough.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 02:50:58 PM »
Thatguy wins this thread.

And thread name has changed.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
Re: It's fun to be IGNorant! (aka NSMBW trolling thread)
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 06:57:37 PM »
I'm working on becoming a fake staff member as we speak.

Edit:  Oops.  I just posted on the forums.  I guess I'm disqualified.

Edit:  There we go.  It really is better than Features Editor!

3x Edit:  I was told "NVVR_thatguy" would be a bit much, so I guess that's where the buck stops.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »
Who is Jason Ross, and why do I have his social security number?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 09:37:39 PM »
They sent the # to the wrong guy.  Should've seen it coming.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 10:44:51 AM »

Is it 3? Cuz he's been plastering that all over the forums for awhile now.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »

A quick Google search reveals that Jason Ross is a male pornographic actor.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »
And NSMBW is a different kind of porn. FUN FILLED, PLATFORMING porn.

i hate myself

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 03:02:05 PM »
Speaking of porn..

I wanna make an 80s theme porno, all the girls will be busty blondes with flat asses in horrible day glow outfits (which theyll take off of course). I'll call it:

Come On Eileen

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 03:28:54 AM »

A quick Google search reveals that Jason Ross is a male pornographic actor.

News to me!

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 02:06:36 AM »
I also suggest once Googling the name Jason Ross not clicking Google images, unless of course you want to see thatguy in action.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 10:52:34 AM »
i'd rather post this in the trolling thread, and i'm not even sure if it mad it to the actual NSMBW thread yet but i just read this today:

Quote from: from N-Europe
News; New Super Mario Bros. Wii just 6 Hours Long

Those hoping for a 100 hour epic may now go and cry.

The upcoming classic side-scrolling style new super mario bros. wii is nintendo's biggest mario game this year. so you'd think it was filled with hours and hours of gameplay? apparently not, according to the UK's Official Nintendo Magazine.

When answering reader questions on the title, they remarked that while great fun their reviwer was able to "blitz through it" in six hours. Granted this is without going back to collect all star coins, which require multiple play-throughs to complete.

Are you fucking kidding me? Anyone who expected a sidescrolling mario game to be 100 hours obviously has some sort of mental deffeciency. In an age where people are doing spped runs of the original mario bros in like what, 5 mins?, you'd expect a massively long game out of NSMBW? Hell 6 hours seems like a LONG time for this kind of game, especially considering the review "blitzed through it".

This sort of **** is whats wrong with the TARDCORE

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2009, 12:24:02 PM »
HOLY ****, NEW VOCAB

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2009, 03:10:14 PM »
i'd rather post this in the trolling thread, and i'm not even sure if it mad it to the actual NSMBW thread yet but i just read this today:

Quote from: from N-Europe
News; New Super Mario Bros. Wii just 6 Hours Long

Those hoping for a 100 hour epic may now go and cry.

The upcoming classic side-scrolling style new super mario bros. wii is nintendo's biggest mario game this year. so you'd think it was filled with hours and hours of gameplay? apparently not, according to the UK's Official Nintendo Magazine.

When answering reader questions on the title, they remarked that while great fun their reviwer was able to "blitz through it" in six hours. Granted this is without going back to collect all star coins, which require multiple play-throughs to complete.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Anyone who expected a sidescrolling mario game to be 100 hours obviously has some sort of mental deffeciency. In an age where people are doing spped runs of the original mario bros in like what, 5 mins?, you'd expect a massively long game out of NSMBW? Hell 6 hours seems like a LONG time for this kind of game, especially considering the review "blitzed through it".

This sort of **** is whats wrong with the TARDCORE

I think it's obvious the "100 hours" in that quote was hyperbole.  That said, 6 hours out of this game is pathetic.  For what games cost these days (and how little money there is going around), I expect at least 8-10 solid hours out of a title.  If I can get that out of ****ing A Boy & His Blob, I expect no less from Nintendo themselves.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:13:51 PM by broodwars »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2009, 05:35:41 PM »
I recall that SMB3 took me all day to play through back in the day. Six does seem rather on the short side of things. Maybe he used warps or it's set up like the DS game where some worlds are hidden and you have to unlock them.
My Game Collection

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
I recall that SMB3 took me all day to play through back in the day. Six does seem rather on the short side of things.

Bullshit.  I can beat SMB3 w/o warping in 2 to 3 hours.  SMW probably takes 5 or 6 hours.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2009, 05:42:20 PM »
This was when I was a kid. I'm going to guess my sense of time was skewed.

In fact, I wonder if my Mom made me take breaks because I remember leaving the game on all afternoon once when I did something else like get kicked outside to play.

So, yeah, it could have just been me thinking it took forever to beat.
My Game Collection

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2009, 06:27:29 PM »
Didn't the ONM QA say something a little different than 6 hours?  Oh, that's right, it did:

How many hours will it take to finish for a person who is fairly decent at platformers?
It took me around six hours to complete, but that was blitzing through it and not collecting the Star Coins. That will easily add another seven or eight hours to the proceedings, because you'll obviously have to play through most of the levels again and some of the coins are in really awkward positions this time.

Hmm.  Now let's read more about this gamer's experience with Mario game.

Did you find the game difficult? If so, did you end up using the Super Guide and how often did you use it?
I never had to use the Super Guide, but bear in mind that I've been playing Mario games since I was three and have played the original Super Mario Bros. at least once a week for the past 23 years. I can blitz through Super Mario World with no problems nowadays, yet I still found this very tough at times, so that should give you an indication.

So, what you're hearing is that this game is "short" if you regularly play Super Mario Bros. and rush through it as fast as possible to beat it to play a review. Stop being stupid.  Seriously.  Stop. Being. Stupid. STOOOOOOOP.

Quotes from http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=12629

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »
Don't forget those fabulous SNES/N64 game prices that approached $80 at retail.  Most "kids" here don't really recall that impact cuz they were just spoiled by their parents back then.

Wii've got it easy this gen, aside from HD gaming and Plastic Hero gaming.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2009, 06:42:34 PM »
So, what you're hearing is that this game is "short" if you regularly play Super Mario Bros. and rush through it as fast as possible to beat it to play a review. Stop being stupid.  Seriously.  Stop. Being. Stupid. STOOOOOOOP.

Alright, first off: Stop being a forum flamer.  Seriously.  Stop.  Being.  Forum.  FLAAAAAMER.

Now then, generally I've found that my finishing time for games is roughly 2-3 hours shorter than what reviews estimate it as.  The content they skipped through usually adds 2-3 hours of playtime onto a game experience, so in the end we're right back where we started: it's still short for a modern game, especially a console game.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2009, 06:44:43 PM »
I wrote a review for you, it's up higher on this page.  You'll love it, probably.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2009, 06:48:39 PM »
I think...I think EC was joking....

Alright, first off: Stop being a forum flamer.  Seriously.  Stop.  Being.  Forum.  FLAAAAAMER.

Now then, generally I've found that my finishing time for games is roughly 2-3 hours shorter than what reviews estimate it as.  The content they skipped through usually adds 2-3 hours of playtime onto a game experience, so in the end we're right back where we started: it's still short for a modern game, especially a console game.

This dude on the other hand....
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
I wrote a review for you, it's up higher on this page.  You'll love it, probably.

I did, and found the satire lacking.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »
Players and reviewers intentionally skip fun content and don't play for fun anymore.  It's like they've got 24 hours to be an honorary beta tester, and spit out some findings.  I can't listen to these people.

There just isn't enough FACE for my PALM.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2009, 06:54:09 PM »

I did, and found the satire lacking.

What satire?  It's literally for you.  Indeed.

Why haven't they mapped fireballs to something other than the run button, anyways?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
As already noted Game length is subjective for each individual that plays the game. Some people play the game and rushes through it and some others take their time checking and exploring the game world. For example Pokemon Platinum I beat the elite 4 a few days ago after getting it in August. Some people it takes a week.

If we are taking about the time/value aspect then that basically falls into the game development costs associated with games these days. You guys think games are to short? Well try your hand at making a game and see if you can do better.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »
If we are taking about the time/value aspect then that basically falls into the game development costs associated with games these days. You guys think games are to short? Well try your hand at making a game and see if you can do better.

Ah, the old straw man argument: "well, you think you can do better?!  Well, then your opinion doesn't matter, then!"  Dude, I've worked for a game developer and seen the process, so I know full well about resource allocation within a project and how at the end of the day you just have to put out a product.  And the developer I worked for was an especially penny-pinching studio.  I also have heavy modding experience working on a pet project with WarCraft III, so don't come to me whining that "well, you don't know how hard it is!"  I probably know better than you do.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »
Honestly, it doesn't matter if I or anyone else can do better at making a game. We are people who play games and if a game does not satisfy our expectations then that is tough luck for the makers of said game. They are making a product for us so they have to try and satisfy us.

If I go to a restaurant and find the food lacking, does the waitress say 'well, you try to make a better meal'? No. You satisfy the customer. If I buy a large pizza, but they give me a medium pizza in a large box, there is a problem.
My Game Collection

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2009, 07:14:59 PM »
If you want hours and hours of extremely tough Super Mario Bros., just go download and play hacks and patches.  That's all you need to do.  Since you're such an experienced game designer, why not make your own stages?

Nintendo has made a game that is a traditional Super Mario Bros. platformer.  They've revisited just about EVERYTHING we loved about SMB 3 and SMW.  Held items, increased difficulty, themed stages with unique properties, Yoshi, and more.  They've added in simultaneous multi-player.  Yes, it is about as long as those former titles have been, traditionally.  Deal with it.  That's the reality.  If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it, and send a letter to Nintendo about it.

Seriously, I'm glad Mario's 2D platforming adventures are back.  I'll be buying the game and playing it with my roommate.  I'll play the multi-player happily.  And when I've beaten and completed it?  I'll play it again.  Because unlike other games, I've found I can revisit Mario titles more than once, partly because they aren't epic in length, partly because their stage design is refreshing, unique, and stays fun for years and years.

If you're not happy with that, I really think the genre isn't for you, and you want the game to be something it never will be.  That's totally cool and all, but if you keep wanting that, you're not going to be happy, because it's not going to happen.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »
HOLY ****, NEW VOCAB

can't take credit for it, Bloodhound Gang's been using it since 2004

I think...I think EC was joking....

This dude on the other hand....

Somewhat.

I read a snippet from the article on a video game news widget i have on my phone (from the toilet) and the "100 hour epic" remark pissed me off because i assumed it was being serious. The thought of anyone expecting a side scrolling mario platformer to be "epic" or anywhere near that length is so stupid it makes my head hurt.

5-6 hours for a game like that does seem right, because i could probably get through SMB1, 3, or SMW in less time than that at a regular pace since i'm familiar with the games now but a lil rusty. Blitzing thru them in less time that than is expected because once people get familiar with the game you'll be seeing speed runs on youtube just like there are for every other mario platformer.

I don't give a **** what you think a modern game should be either because this isn't a modern game. This is an oldschool game being released in the modern day with a more modern look, yes, but side scrolling platformers are no longer the norm of the video game industry so expecting them to be a "100 hour epic" is FUCKING RETARDED. If this game had 1 million levels and each had a time limit of 1hr because they were so fucking long, i'd never even pick it up because of how stupid the thought of it is.

love how this funhouse thread turned serious

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2009, 08:00:27 PM »

I think this thread is going to usurp the 'real' thread. A real coup.
My Game Collection

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2009, 08:04:18 PM »
Nope, this thread is about how terrible people's reactions to something awesome can be, through and through, Stratos.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2009, 08:05:38 PM »
I'm not going to say the people complaining about length are wrong, but I am going to say it's their fault that there is such a thing as a Werehog.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »

I think this thread is going to usurp the 'real' thread. A real coup.

While i would love to have that victory for the Funhouse, i'm afraid it won't happen since SOMEONE decided to throw around bannable (is that even a word?) language...

Alright, first off: Stop being a forum flamer.  Seriously.  Stop.  Being.  Forum.  FLAAAAMER.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2009, 08:26:30 PM »
I'm not going to say the people complaining about length are wrong, but I am going to say it's their fault that there is such a thing as a Werehog.

Now that's a low blow.   ;)

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »
C'mon guys, serious thread.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2009, 11:52:24 PM »
Serious thread for a serious board.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2009, 12:05:46 AM »
People paid $50 for Super Mario Brothers 3 back in the day, and if you factor in inflation that's over $80. Why have we now reached a point where games are cheaper than they've ever been on technically superior systems and a game of this type is no longer acceptable as being full price?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2009, 12:21:03 AM »
Just to clarify, I'm fine with getting this game @ $50. I just thought it would be longer.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2009, 12:24:49 AM »
People paid $50 for Super Mario Brothers 3 back in the day, and if you factor in inflation that's over $80. Why have we now reached a point where games are cheaper than they've ever been on technically superior systems and a game of this type is no longer acceptable as being full price?

Because Nintendo's competitors and even Nintendo's own projects (like the Zelda and Metroid series) have shown that you can get more bang for your buck than this without making the experience any less fun.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2009, 12:28:29 AM »
I'd recommend playing the game before making that conclusion. Besides, even the Zelda and Metroid games on the NES and SNES took a lot longer to complete than Mario.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2009, 03:10:27 AM »

Creating a game like Mario 3 is far cheaper for the games industry today than it was in the 80's, while a game like Mario Galaxy is far more expensive.  Its harder to justify paying the same amount for both games.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2009, 04:59:53 AM »
If it were so much easier to make, you'd think we'd see more AAA platforming titles, eh?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2009, 11:10:35 AM »
If it were so much easier to make, you'd think we'd see more AAA platforming titles, eh?

I'm sure the complete market over-saturation of the mascot platformer over the last decade or so and the subsequent death of the genre has absolutely nothing to do with that, nor the general market abandonment of 2D as a console gaming format until fairly recently.

Incidentally, I suggest this conversation carry on elsewhere.  I have to agree with several of the other posters: this is too serious to be in the funhouse.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:26:02 AM by broodwars »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
Why don't you guys play the game first before you **** all over it? Just a thought.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2009, 03:17:14 PM »
Why don't you guys play the game first before you **** all over it? Just a thought.

But we're Nintendo fans. What else are we supposed to do with upcoming games? ;)
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2009, 03:48:29 PM »
Just because it's longer doesn't mean it's better.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2009, 04:43:13 PM »
limp and stretched out

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2009, 06:42:57 PM »
OH MY FUCKING GOD

HE'S ON FIRE!

The king is pleased!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »
OH MY FUCKING GOD

HE'S ON FIRE!

The king is pleased!

I take it the King's royal food tester was dismissed when the special brownies were served?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2009, 07:38:57 PM »
Are you saying I have to be high to enjoy a good joke?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2009, 07:40:21 PM »
No i'm just implying that you seem rather high today, after noticing all your recent post which were a long winded way of saying "LOL".

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2009, 07:47:11 PM »
LOL just doesn't do it sometimes!

lol

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »
I need to start posting more often. I missed DRAMAZ.

D: