Author Topic: RFN Special: Jonny's E3 2001 Audio Diaries  (Read 7813 times)

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
Re: RFN Special: Jonny's E3 2001 Audio Diaries
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 10:26:39 AM »
Really enjoyed this. Took me right back although my news was all from magazines in those days. Totally reminded me of how excited I was queuing up for my Cube at midnight.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
So sorry to hear about your aunt, but I'm glad everyone is safe!

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 08:03:45 PM »
*Probably gonna email you this, in hopes you might discuss it on a future Podcast or something.

Just got a chance to listen to this thing in its entirety, and gosh I envy you John. This was about 10 years ago.. so I'm guessing you were in your late teens or early 20's? I just wish that I could be doing something like this in my life right now. I'm passionate about gaming, but my knowledge isn't as great as yours was here. I think the reason for that is because I've had no real reason to be knowledgeable about gaming in the first place. It's like the ending of your diary explains, no one is interested in gaming to the degree I am. And it sucks! I've gotten to know a few people online who I am close to, but even they don't seem like they are interested in the way that I am. I listen to you guys on the podcast, having these great conversations, and to be honest, at times I am overwhelmed by how technical you all get with gaming terms and such. But anyways, I want to end this ramble and ask a question which I hope you see and don't mind answering. And that is….

What advice do you have to someone like me who wants to be able to do what you were doing, during the time of this audio diary? I really am interested in gaming, and I want to learn about Nintendo, report on Nintendo, and write my thoughts on Nintendo. (If I'm playing a game, it’s usually by Nintendo.) But the problem is, I don't feel like I have the writing ability and gaming knowledge to do so. Did you ever feel this way before you got into video game journalism John?

In many ways, isn't a gaming journalist (at least the sort who writes online) just an articulate forum poster? My advice, completely unconnected to the whole getting-into-the-industry part which I know nothing about, would be to write. Doesn't matter what it's about but if you want to write about something the first thing to do is to learn how to write, and of course you'll probably want to do that in a journalistic context, so if you're at school or university you should get involved with their paper if there is one, or if not look into your local weeklies or whatever. As well as doing that, to practise writing and learning to write about games specifically you should be on forums discussing games - decent forums, not shitty ones. I recommend NeoGAF, although it can take a long time to be approved and get an account there. I'm sure there are others besides. Obviously in that statement I'm including this forum too!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »
What adadad said.

Just write, dude. Read stuff. It doesn't happen overnight.

For example, when I came here, I didn't know crap. I just really liked video games. It was only after throwing myself into the fire that I actually "learned" about the industry in a deeper context.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 02:44:47 PM »
Thanks for posting these recordings Jonny.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
I loved this.  2001  is when I started really getting into gaming (ie owning multiple consoles and reading stuff online).  The excitement for GBA & GCN were huge parts of my teenage youth.  So I really enjoyed relieving that.  Thank you for this.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
These are great, Jonny. What a cute kid you were! These recordings are a nice time capsule of both the industry and of younger-you and I think it took considerable humility to share them. Thanks for letting us have a listen.     My favourite comment of yours was that you didn't feel you were eloquent speaking about games but were OK writing about them. LOL! I guess you've fixed that, haven't you. Nowadays, you are very eloquent speaking about games. One might even say loquacious!  ;D
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline roykoopa64

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 10:42:46 AM »
Jonny, the last segment of your diary really struck a chord with me (and I'm sure with many other gamers as well). That must have been quite the experience being around gamers that share your passion, something uncommon in our everyday lives.
Fanático de Nintendo desde 1985

My Miiverse profile