Author Topic: Mini-games in Modern Games are Boring  (Read 4162 times)

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Mini-games in Modern Games are Boring
« on: April 02, 2003, 01:43:39 PM »
I was playing Zelda: The Wind Waker today, and one of the mini-games was to take a picture of some woman, had it to some man, then wait a day, and go find the pair on a date... all just to get a lousy 1/4 heart.  In Final Fantasy 10, there were the annoying temple mini-games where your only reward was to open the door and escape from the torture.  Starfox Adventures also had these annoying mini-games around every corner.

Why do modern developers put these mini-games in their modern releases?  Not only are most of these mini-games *not* fun... they aren't even challenging.

I'd rather load up MAME and playca little Pac-Man or Asteroids or dozens of other arcade classics.  Or maybe some Mario or Pitfall or Metroid action on the ancient Atari/Nintendo.  Those are FUN, CHALLENGING "mini" games... the mini-games in modern epics are not.

Troy (stepping away from the complaint box)

P.S.  I hope I don't offend anyone.  I'm merely expressing my honest opinion.  Where possible I skip the mini-games.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 01:48:56 PM »
I like minigames. . . that Zelda one's okay, but you realize that it must be hard to think of all the minigames they have?

Ah, well.  To each his own.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 02:37:05 PM »
Here is an idea more people who whine about mini games need to consider.

If you don't like them, don't do them.  And shut up.

They are called side quests and mini games for a reason.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 02:39:20 PM »
"P.S. I hope I don't offend anyone. I'm merely expressing my honest opinion. Where possible I skip the mini-games. "

Jesus, man, if this was your honest opinion you wouldn't feel the need to force down our throats every single thing you didn't like in a videogame. If you're going to complain about Zelda, which I don't care about, although I may disagree with what you're complaining about, keep it to one thread. We don't need 50 topics on how you didn't like the counterclockwise motion of the swirling water.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline MorningStar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 02:44:05 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
"P.S. I hope I don't offend anyone. I'm merely expressing my honest opinion. Where possible I skip the mini-games. "

Jesus, man, if this was your honest opinion you wouldn't feel the need to force down our throats every single thing you didn't like in a videogame. If you're going to complain about Zelda, which I don't care about, although I may disagree with what you're complaining about, keep it to one thread. We don't need 50 topics on how you didn't like the counterclockwise motion of the swirling water.

That's halarious...counter clockwise swirling water comment...Anyways, some people like the plain mini games. I mean, personally, after every temple/dungeon that I finish I always try to relieve myself by doing some minigames. The fact that you can just cruise around and not really have to worry about anything is nice.

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 03:01:31 PM »
SPLISH.

I like Zelda's minigames.  The fights with Orca were insanely fun, if not very difficult.

-- ShockingAlberto
Press X to run.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2003, 05:02:13 PM »
Theaveng, those example you gave us were actual crucial parts of the gameplay. Not mini-games. Mini-games are Mario Party. Mini-games are the crappy fillers in Pokemon Stadium..

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2003, 06:15:16 PM »

If you're going to complain about Zelda...

This thread is about MINI-GAMES, not Zelda.  It's about all games in general.  Please read the subject next time.

http://members.shaw.ca/rebirth2/sc1.avi

Offline Sleepyfoo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2003, 06:38:37 PM »
Umm...the things that you mentioned as "fun minigames" were in fact complete games created on older systems.  Of course they are gonna be more fun! That's like saying that "Monkey fight" is not as fun as mortal kombat 2 -_-  They just aren't comparable.

Offline misterd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2003, 07:06:10 PM »
Generally speaking you don't HAVE to play or beat all the minigames in any game in order to finish it. In some games they are stupid, but in better games - like Zelda- I find them a pleasant diversion from time to time. In the end, having them costs little, and for some of us greatly enhances the experience.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 01:46:06 AM »

There you go again. Why do you insist on ragging on someone because there opinion is differant from yours? It doesnt affect you at all if he posts this topic, unless you are so damn fragile that someone not liking something you like makes you angry.

I also hate the mini games in Zelda, in fact I hate mini games in general.

When I go golfing, I dont stop on the sisth hole to play an hour of badmitton. I view mini games in the same light.

If I had to chose my favorite Cube game, it would be timesplitters at the moment.  
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2003, 07:11:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Sleepyfoo
Umm...the things that you mentioned as "fun minigames" were....
That's not what I said.  I said:

>>>>> I'd rather play... some Pacman or Metroid... fun "mini" games...

Notice where the quotes are located.  Translation: Even though these were "full-sized" games in the 1980's, they are "mini" compared to today's modern games.  Pac-Man takes 5 minutes a game.  Metroid just 3 hours.  That's what I meant.  These old games are roughly equivalent to the minigames in modern epics.  

Except for one aspect: These old games are far more fun than most of the mini-junk you find in modern games.  Which brings us around to my MAIN POINT: Rather than waste time running around in Final Fantasy or Mario Sunshine playing mini-games, I'd rather boot up the old emulator and play the old classics, because the classics are 1000% better.

Troy (Sidles off)  :-)

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2003, 09:23:01 AM »
Again, I stress that they are mini games and or side quests, meaning they are not pertinent to the game or finishing it, meaning you don't have to do them, meaning you have no point.

Here, take a hammer, and hit yourself in the head multiple times in an effort to put yourself to sleep.  See, you can get to sleep without hitting yourself with a hammer.   Likewise, it causes you pain.  Now then, you don't need mini games to finish the game, and since you think they suck, then don't play them.

Otherwise, go grab a hammer and...
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2003, 09:24:43 AM »

Originally posted by: theaveng
Metroid just 3 hours.  That's what I meant.  These old games are roughly equivalent to the minigames in modern epics.  

Ummm... I don't know about you... but I don't know any 3 hour long mini games in these "modern epics"...

Maybe your expectations are unfairly high.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2003, 09:42:52 AM »

I may disagree with what you're complaining about, keep it to one thread. We don't need 50 topics on how you didn't like the counterclockwise motion of the swirling water.

I agree wholeheartedly.  theaveng, it's okay if you don't like this or that about Zelda, but you're wasting all day complaining in topic after topic.  If playing games is such a big chore for you, then go out and find another hobby.

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers