Author Topic: Rate The Last Game You Played  (Read 189019 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rate The Last Game You Played
« Reply #575 on: June 18, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »
I'm trying to think of any real RNG in Mass Effect 1 and I can't think of anything but the drops.

There's definitely some random number dice-rolling going on in the first game, because you can point your reticule right at a guy's face in ME1; pull the trigger; and have your shot miss because the invisible dice roll determined that your shot missed.  You can make that dice roll more favorable by increasing particular stats, but it's always there.  I was glad to see it gone in ME2.

Another thing that bugs me is you start the 3rd game and where is your team?  I have this huge threat that is still coming and I disband my team...

Well, in all fairness your team came together to perform a particular task, and they performed it.  I still haven't played my copy of ME3 yet (I recently got it when it was $30 on sale, but I'm holding it until the Ending DLC is released), but from what I understand your crew all has their own obligations to their people to perform.  Plus, after the events of The Arrival, Shepard had to cool his heels for a while under heavy guard, so it's not hard to imagine his team having things they needed to do in the meantime.
Ok, That is BS DLC.  No wonder the start of ME3 makes no sense.  What makes that more infuriarating is that it was not available for the PC.  I had all the DLC for the PC when I played through.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 18, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »
Ok, That is BS DLC.  No wonder the start of ME3 makes no sense.  What makes that more infuriarating is that it was not available for the PC.  I had all the DLC for the PC when I played through.

Yeah, in The Arrival Mass Effect 2 DLC, Shepard ends up blowing up a Mass Relay, thus destroying an entire inhabited solar system to prevent the Reapers from coming through it and attacking the galaxy before they were ready.  As a result, the DLC indicates that Shepard will turn himself in to Federation/UN Spacy/etc. custody to face the consequences of his actions after the business with the Collectors was finished.  That's where Mass Effect 3 comes in.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 18, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »
Alright so looking on the web I should have been able to buy The Arrival DLC for the PC, but no where says where I could have bought it and it wasn't there for when I bought all the other DLC so I would only have to do 1 run through.  This is frustrating.  Maybe I have it and I just have to continue my game or something weird like that.  I beat the game and just went to the main menu because I had done all the missions except 100% Planet exploring.  This sort of annoys me to no ends.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 18, 2012, 05:00:41 PM »
Alright, let's get this show on the road.  4 games...GO!  :P: :

PS3 (Platinum #60)

People on this site probably have a huge misconception that I hate Nintendo and I similarly hate motion control due to my various posts over the years railing against both.  They're wrong on both, but let's just focus on motion control for the moment: my problem with the Wii has never been the idea of having to do motion control for certain games, but rather that the technology flat-out doesn't work and it certainly doesn't work reliably.  Then Nintendo proceeded to shove it into games it didn't belong in, performing functions that correspondingly (due to waggle) were either obnoxious or unreliable at best.  Even Skyward Sword's motion control wasn't terribly reliable in my experience.

Now here's Sony with the PlayStation Move, a device I've found in the past to be even worse at motion control than the Wiimote, due to most of the games that support it using it as a pointer device whose usefulness is entirely dependent on the lighting in your room.  I've often considered getting rid of the thing but after playing the long-delayed, recently-released Sorcery I'm glad I held onto it because it's a pretty decent (if extremely flawed) budget title.

In Sorcery, you (naturally) play as a teenage Sorceror's Apprentice named Finn, apparently quite skilled in wrecking anything he manages to point a magic wand at.  After a misadventure in a nearby cave to scavenge for potion ingredients with his talking cat Erline, the Evil Nightmare Queen arises to attack the duo and reclaim Erline as part of her plan to Take Over the World.

So, young Finn and Erline set out to find a way to stop the Nightmare Queen, with Finn gradually growing from an incompetent, cocky spell-slinger to an earnest heroic figure.  As simple as this story is (it's "Fantasy Hero's Journey 101"), I thought the game sold it very well through the constant and entertaining Uncharted-style banter between Finn and Erline, as well as the simple but stylized 2D "storybook" cutscenes between chapters.  The characters are memorable, and the storytelling is rather gentle and earnest while still having just enough bite to it.  It's "child-like" without being "childish".  In many ways, this game reminds me of the similarly-budget titled "Majin & the Forsaken Fortress" in that respect.

Being a PlayStation Move-required game (and I'd argue a Nav controller-required game as well, unless you really like holding an entire Dualshock 3 in one hand and a Move wand in the other), obviously the big question is "how are the controls?"  Well, I'm surprised to say they work astonishingly well, especially for a PlayStation Move game: you cast spells by flicking the Move in the direction and trajectory you wish them to hit.  That means that if you want to hit someone off to the far left, you flick your wand in an arc to the far left.  If you want to hit an opponent above you, you perform a quick flick above your head with an arc heading upwards.  To switch spells, you merely have to hold a button to bring the game into slow-motion while making a quick flick or rotation to switch to the elemental type you want to use.  It's all very simple; fast; and largely intuitive, with the exception of switching to Wind Magic (which I eventually learned to do by raising the wand over my head and waving the Move like a helicopter propeller).  The motion control works because the developers were smart enough to limit the gestures to simple flicks, sweeps, and circles both the Move controller and the player can easily understand.  There's also a certain degree of finesse to how you flick the Move that just isn't there in other Move games.  It also helps, of course, that there's a very generous amount of aim-assistance on spell-casting.   ;)

Unfortunately, Sorcery's biggest shortcoming is that it has a lot of ideas, but none of them are fully-developed and they don't come together as well as they should.  For example, Sorcery presents this fantastic world to explore, but you have to traverse it in linear corridor levels (which largely don't let you backtrack) with the occasional branching path leading to a treasure chest or light puzzle.  I also found combining spells for greater damage to be quite satisfying, such as sweeping your arm to create a wall of fire; sweeping it again with wind magic to create a tornado; and then flinging my new fiery tornado at enemies.  Unfortunately, the combat scenarios in Sorcery are just too simple and there are only about 3 different combination spells.  Furthermore, the game has an unfortunate habit of letting each new spell essentially replace the last one in terms of usefulness (especially once you acquire Lightning Magic, which obliterates just about everything).  The game also waits too long to introduce spells other than the default "Arcane Bolt".

One key aspect of the game I thought was really cool, though, was the potion-brewing system.  Throughout the game, you can take ingredients you either purchase or find in chests, and use them to brew potions that grant Finn permanent stat increases (more health, greater fire damage, etc.).  When you do so, the game takes you to a separate screen where you actually brew the potion using motion control, sprinkling the magic dust; grinding the mushrooms; pouring the magic water; stirring the mixture; etc.  And once you're done, you use the potion just by shaking the Move controller until it's ready (with the light shifting from a light color to a dark one) and performing a "drinking" motion.  That all works really well and feels really natural.

I think the key problem with Sorcery is how Sony has decided to hype and market it: as this "epic, awe-inspiring, and immersive hardcore fantasy experience."  Having played the entire game to completion twice now, this game is not "that" in any way, shape, or form.  It's a child-oriented fantasy budget title where you flick various magic spells at waves of enemies in a way similar to a 3rd person shooter.  It's not a particularly polished game and it's not a particularly deep game mechanically, but I also don't think it's a bad game.  In fact, the game has some really solid and enjoyable ideas that probably just needed more time to develop into something great.  I wish some of the "kids' games" I played growing up had this much thought behind them.  Similarly, the story could have been something quite memorable with more time and levels to flesh out the characters.  As it is, the game is merely average altogether, but if you have kids and the equipment to play the game, I think they would have a lot of fun with it.  It's apparently a better "Harry Potter" game than any of the actual Harry Potter games have been.

Incidentally, it may only have been a coincidence but shortly after playing this game, the Dualshock 3 I normally have assigned to my PS3 broke...seemingly permanently.  It will no longer sync with my PS3.  It may just be a coincidence, but consider yourself warned.

Damn, that was a long one.  Thankfully, there's not so much to explain in the others so they should be much shorter.  And the others will be worse.   ::) But seriously, Sorcery is a decent game and I DO recommend it if you have the equipment to play it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:57:26 AM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 18, 2012, 08:06:05 PM »
I'll probably check out Sorcery if the price is right. 

Found the DLC.  Its hidden on the Bioware social site...  They have The Arrival and Shadow Broker for PC now.  I know I looked hard for Shadow Broker when I got the game.  I have some really mixed feelings about this DLC.  If I want it it will cost me $12.60 which is getting close to what I paid for the first 2 games Deluxe editions. I felt like the game was missing chunks of it and well that would be it.  I like to play through it but I don't want to spend the money and I don't even now if they'll let me continue my game to do it now.  Then it would require reimporting my Character in 3 and I'm sort of steamed on how they hid it.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 18, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »

Vita (Platinum #61)

Moving from one very mixed-reviewed game to another, I also picked up and finished Resistance: Burning Skies on my Vita.  Alright, let's get this out of the way first: I don't care what Professional Troll Jim Sterling says.  This is NOT a "2/10" game.  A 2/10 indicates that the game is flat-out broken when this game is merely average to above-average.  I know...I know...I damn the game with faint praise.  But consider this: this game was made by Nihilistic Software, makers of such stellar titles as the first incarnation of the never-released StarCraft: Ghost; the awful PlayStation Move Heroes (what did you do to my Sly Cooper, you MONSTERS?!); and Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects.  Considering that pedigree, it's a goddamn miracle that this game is merely "average to above-average" in a series where at least half the games are "average to above-average and kind of generic" shooters.   ::)

The single-player campaign is about 6-8 hours long, about on par with most shooters these days, though definitely shorter than the 10-12 hour average of the rest of the series.  You play as a firefighter named Tom Riley, and this makes him totally distinct from the other Resistance protagonists in that...he wears a firefighter's helmet; wields a fire axe; very rarely talks; and his motivations are vague at best.  Supposedly he's trying to get back to his family after they were separated during the Chimeran siege on New York, but unlike Resistance 3's Joseph Capelli or Resistance Retribution's James Grayson, he only seems to randomly care about his family.  Oh yeah, and he occasionally carries people out of burning structures.  Because he's a fireman, you know.  After spending most of the game wandering from one action set piece to another, the game tries to go for the Hail Mary at the end with a "touching" scene between Riley and his wife that could have been very poignant, but it's just a case of too little too late.  The game even sabotages this characterization altogether by having Riley occasionally flirt with his fellow Resistance fighter Ellie...while he's supposedly out hunting for his family.  The rest of the game's story doesn't fare much better, largely being a series of vaguely-connected locations and a "mad scientist" sub-plot that is neither prevalent enough to be interesting nor throwaway enough to be ignored.

So obviously storytelling and characterization is not this game's strong point.  You'd think, then, given that this is supposedly a AAA Sony 1st party game that the production values would be pretty impressive, given what Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Wipeout 2048 managed.  Well...I hesitate to say that the game's visuals are "bad", but the environments and enemy character models disappoint with their low-poly counts and washed-out textures.  Human character models fare much better, especially their eyes (a major complaint I had with Uncharted: GA), but they still aren't up-to-par with what the Vita can do.  This game looks like a higher resolution PSP game, not a AAA Vita game.  The music is nice and very true to the series...on those rare occasions when it actually plays.

So if the story/characterization and production values are mediocre, why don't I hate this game?  Well, simply put I had a lot of fun playing this game and, honestly, aside from Resistance 3 I don't think any of the previous Resistance games had terribly impressive visuals, and only that and the PSP game Retribution had good storytelling.  The strength of this series has always been its crazy weapons and the chaotic gunfights that ensue, and on that front I believe Burning Skies delivers.  The dual-stick controls feel very solid, and the way that touch is implemented for sprinting (you double-tap the backtouch) and using your weapons' secondary fire modes is well-thought out.  My one big complaint about the gunplay (besides some stupid AI, which I think has always been a series problem) is that the guns are more subdued than usual, with their upgrades being more based around selecting small stat increases than dramatic changes like Resistance 3's flame-spewing Rossmore shotgun.  And while that last boss is total B.S. and I wish that the designers had placed more secondary ammo around the levels for weapons like the Auger (I think I found maybe 10 Auger Shield Ammo rounds the entire game), the chapters have a really good flow to them and keep you moving.  The levels are pretty frickin' big, too.

The game also has Deathmatch; Team Deathmatch; and "Survival" multiplayer modes, and overall the experience is extremely buggy by enjoyable in its simplicity.  It's not terribly well-designed since the matchmaking (when it works at all, and that's fairly random) will often throw you into matches with extremely high-level opponents who have unlocked the better weapons and their upgrades.  However, in all fairness this is the first handheld game of its kind and I did enjoy my time online, so I'm willing to cut this game a little slack in that department.

Overall, is Resistance: Burning Skies the "savior" of the Vita it was hyped to be? No, and neither is the other recently-released Vita game I'll be reviewing shortly.  But for all its buggy-ness; its shoddy matchmaking; its mediocre storytelling; and its mediocre production values, this game charmed me with its solid, enjoyable gunplay.  Would I recommend it to anyone seeking a shooter experience on Vita?  No, not unless you can find it heavily discounted.  But there's certainly an enjoyable experience in Resistance: Burning Skies if you're willing to overlook the flaws (you may notice a theme to these reviews, now that I think of it).  This game just needed several more months of development that Sony just couldn't afford to give it after how poorly the Vita's been selling, and an average and unpolished game is the result.

Well now, this just won't do.  I just gave overall positive reviews to two games with extremely mixed-to-negative reviews!  If this keeps up, I'm going to lose my image of "that angry malcontent who is never satisfied with ANYTHING."   ;)   Well, there's only one thing to do: call in the SPAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIICEEEEE MARIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNES!" :P: : : :
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:23:11 AM by broodwars »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 18, 2012, 11:33:38 PM »

PS3

"Just another Shooter game."  :P: : : :

Ugh...this game so thoroughly bored and frustrated me that I'm tempted to just leave this review at that (very obscure) review joke and move on to the much more interesting last game I have for tonight.  Really, just look at that name "Warhammer 40K: SPACE MARINE" and tell me with a straight face that it doesn't look like a colossal joke, like a parody of modern shooter games?  Well, let's get this over with.

Warhammer 40K is such a strange universe for me, in that it's probably the stupidest fictional universe I've ever seen, screaming every "stupid action movie" cliche of the 80s and 90s you could think of: hyper-steroid space marines, entire oceans of blood and gore, swords that double as chainsaws (which Gears of War was happy to steal), explosions left and right, and a setting where everything is nothing but "WAAAAARRRRR!"  And yet, despite its sheer, unbridled stupidity, the series also has some of the most ridiculously extensive and convoluted lore I've ever seen, and it's oddly fascinating to see in play in Relic's Warhammer 40K games despite not actually liking the games.

So here we have Space Marine, a game that I really did not like when I played the demo.  It just felt like a God of War game where the only praiseworthy accomplishment was the massive waves of "ORKS!" Relic managed to shove on-screen to die in hilariously gruesome ways.  I was content to leave my experience at that, but over the last year I just kept seeing review after review insisting that the game was "much more" than what I saw in the demo and much more complex.  Well, having played the entire singleplayer game now, I'll agree that there's more to the actual game...but not much.

I place a lot of emphasis in my reviews on the "flow" of the game, the speed the player moves through the situations and the feedback loop of the player's interaction.  Well, Space Marine has one of the worst, most tedious gameplay flows I've ever seen in a game.  EverySingleEncounter starts with a bunch of Orks (and it's always frickin' Orks in these games) seeing you in the distance; shouting some variant on "SPAAAICCCCEE MARINE!" in their hilariously over-the-top cockney accents; and then charging at you in such numbers that you're wading through a sea of the things within moments.  You shoot them as they charge, and you slice them when they get close until they stop coming 5 minutes later, because your guns are pretty much useless at that point.

That's it.  That's the gameplay.  That's all there is, and this game has to be at least 10 hours long.  The guns feel genuinely fun to use and the melee combat can be quite enjoyable (especially with how you have to do a finisher on an opponent to regain your health), but the sheer repetition and complete lack of creativity in the combat scenarios just kills this game.  It doesn't get any better, either, when the game switches from "laughably easy" to "ARGH! 5 guys off-screen just slaughtered me with rockets I couldn't avoid while I was swarmed with 8 other dudes around me attacking at once!" about halfway through the game.  There are occasionally moments of levity when the game just hands you a jet pack and Mjolnir and tells you to go wail away on easily-slaughtered enemies to your heart's content, but those are few and far-between.  As for the weaponry, there's very little variety and half the arsenal are just upgraded versions of the same guns, with no noticeable difference due to the increase in enemy difficulty.

Alright the gameplay is incredibly boring, but the story and intricate lore is what...somehow...draws me to these games, so surely the story makes the game worth playing?  Eh, not really.  I'm starting to wonder if there's a law somewhere that states that Warhammer 40K games need to be about some moron screwing around with chaos energy and summoning demons and orks, because I've seen that plot at least a few times now.  I assure you, it's no more interesting here.  As for the characters, the game teases that actual character development may occur, but it never does.  There are a lot of references to the structure of the Human Imperium that could be very interesting, but like every other Warhammer 40K game that's all they are: references without explanation.  It seems no Warhammer 40K game is terribly interested in introducing players to this universe who aren't already Warhammer 40K fans familiar with how this world works.

As for production values, it's easy to call this a "Gears of War clone" and call it a day with its drab brown and red color palette and "ruined industrial" setting, but in all fairness that's what every Warhammer 40K game looks like.  That's just how that universe is, but it doesn't make it any more interesting to look at.  The very British voice acting on the human characters, though, is very well-done and lends a great deal of gravitas to a story that frankly doesn't deserve it.  I've already mentioned the hilarity of the cockneyed Orks.

Space Marine feels like a game made by a team that has a great deal of love and respect for the source material, but unfortunately has no idea how to make a compelling shooter.  It's a game that feels as generic as its name, and I don't recommend it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:47:41 PM by broodwars »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 19, 2012, 12:54:14 AM »

Vita (Platinum #62)

Alright, my last game tonight is also the second game lately to carry the banner of "Vita savior": the perspective-flipping, free-flying Gravity Rush.  Sadly, while the game is certainly enjoyable and new IPs as AAA Vita exclusives are definitely what the platform needs, it (like its predecessor Resistance: Burning Skies) just isn't good enough to be worthy of that title.

Gravity Rush takes place on a fanciful European-style city floating above the clouds because...that's where cities belong, apparently.  For some mysterious reason that is never actually explained, entire sections of the city and their citizens just vanished one day in a series of gravity storms.  Shortly thereafter, a mysterious girl named Kat (naturally) mysteriously falls from the sky and discovers that thanks to her magic cat she has the power to shift her personal field of gravity to whatever surface she pleases for a limited time.  Would it surprise you to know that she also has amnesia?  Would it actually surprise you to know that Kat really doesn't seem to care about her previous identity, and that she puts no effort whatsoever into uncovering it?

Yeah, Gravity Rush's story is a complete and total tedious mess, somehow managing to be both nonexistent and utterly pretentious, with characters fond of spouting cryptic speeches and metaphysical B.S. that the game never really explains.  The game introduces characters to just throw them away shortly thereafter, the story is made-up of extremely loosely-connected vignettes, and Kat herself vacillates between "stereotypical and somewhat-stupid Japanese teenage girl" and "bumbling, wannabe heroine."  The game ends on a story beat it does not earn with characters you never got a chance to know (unless you pre-ordered the game and got the "military costume" DLC, which only barely introduces said characters).  Don't play this game for its story, or you will be disappointed by the sheer waste of it all.  The game also feels at times like it's trying to "out-tutorial" the modern 3D Legend of Zelda games with the sheer number of times the game will pause to pop up tutorial text, which gets old fast.

Similarly, don't play this game for its combat, which (much like Space Marine) gets increasingly repetitive and monotonous as the game goes on.  Kat has a few different ways of taking enemy "Nevi" out, but the most useful is obviously the Gravity Kick and it's the attack you'll use 9/10 encounters.  And while the gravity kick has a fairly generous lock-on as you level the attack up (more on that later), it's still very easy to miss some of the larger and faster flying enemies through little fault of your own.  This might have worked-out alright if the game had a variety of combat scenarios to rotate between to keep the experience fresh, but sadly the game's answer to everything is to just spawn a swarm 2-3 waves of Nevi and move on to the next checkpoint or story beat after everything's killed.

Now, however, we do get to the reason I still say this game is worth playing: the sheer rush (pun not intended) of using the gravity mechanic to effortlessly fling Kat around the game world.  At any time after the opening few minutes, you can simply push the right shoulder button to make Kat hover, aim in any given direction, and then press the right shoulder button again to shoot Kat off in that direction.  I'm not sure it was the greatest idea to essentially give the player the mechanic that breaks the game right at the start, but it does a great job of enticing the player to explore the game world and find the level-boosting gems hidden in every nook and cranny.  And while at the beginning of the game your flight time is extremely limited, by the end with fully-leveled gravity shifting you're rocketing around the game world at mach speed and it just feels great.  That feeling of open exploration and exhilarating speed alone is just sheer joy to perform, and it makes me wonder if the developers were inspired by the Crackdown series considering all the emphasis placed on "gem" collecting.

In terms of production values, Gravity Rush is a refreshingly unique-looking game, with a cel shaded art style based on French animation.  Story sequences are conveyed in really cool stylized comic book-esque "panels", and in a neat touch you can tilt the Vita to shift the layers within the panels to give a cool illusion of depth.  The music is well-composed, but it feels like there's only 3-4 tracks in the entire game so it gets repetitive quickly as you explore the cities.

Gravity Rush just feels like a great idea the developers came up with without actually having any idea what they were going to do with it.  Using gravity to fling yourself around the cities is a blast, but the game world is just completely devoid of things worth doing aside from collecting gems to power-up your abilities (there are "side quests", but they're merely miscellaneous trophy-bait like timed races and score attack battles).  The main character is a cliche, the side characters aren't compelling, the story is at best confusing (and at worst nonexistent), and the combat needed a wider variety of combat scenarios to keep the experience interesting.  It's a good game, but not a great one.  Well, at least the developers had the dignity to not cave in to Japan's increasingly tiresome obsession with catering to fetishes...

Gravity Rush DLC:

GOD DAMNIT, JAPAN!  ::) Yes, all the Gravity Rush DLC is centered around Kat getting all Kawaii in various costumes for paper-thin missions.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:35:47 AM by broodwars »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 19, 2012, 01:25:15 AM »
To be fair, if I had amnesia and then figured out I could fly, I'd be much more interested in doing that than figuring out my previous identity.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 19, 2012, 01:40:01 AM »
To be fair, if I had amnesia and then figured out I could fly, I'd be much more interested in doing that than figuring out my previous identity.

Characters having amnesia is just a major pet peeve of mine.  It is such a lazy shortcut obviously there to introduce the player to the game world, and the Japanese have so thoroughly abused it in their RPGs that it's getting to the point where I feel it needs to be banned from fiction under penalty of death.  :@ (no, not really, but it is annoying and lazy)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: June 19, 2012, 02:09:13 AM »
There should be a JRPG where every character has amnesia, and then the world-shattering twist two-thirds of the way through the game is that none of them ever had amnesia.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 19, 2012, 10:22:26 AM »
There should be a JRPG where every character has amnesia, and then the world-shattering twist two-thirds of the way through the game is that none of them ever had amnesia.

that is fucking brilliant

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 19, 2012, 10:28:24 AM »
So they have alzheimer's instead?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 19, 2012, 02:12:40 PM »
Or it's a planet ruled by politics where everyone conspires against each other. Even the newborns.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 19, 2012, 09:07:59 PM »
They could have all been faking it. Combine the amnesia angle with some kind of conspiracy theory.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #590 on: June 19, 2012, 09:13:13 PM »
Sounds like y'all need to play Glory of Heracles. This is starting to hit that territory.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 19, 2012, 11:26:31 PM »
Or it's a planet ruled by politics where everyone conspires against each other. Even the newborns.
And no one can talk about it?

I'm fairly sure there games that take the other angle where you play someone who remembers and no on else does.  Then there is Bastion.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 20, 2012, 12:19:08 AM »
It's a planet of lies, Ceric. The truf is unknown.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #593 on: June 20, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »
Will any of that sweet DLC be available on NA PSN?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 20, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »
Will any of that sweet DLC be available on NA PSN?

What, the Gravity Rush DLC?  Yeah, they've already announced that all 3 will be on the store within a month.  The Military Costume DLC, actually, is already available if you pre-ordered the game or buy the PSN version of the game.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #595 on: June 22, 2012, 09:57:17 PM »
Dammit, should'a gone Shiny Digital Future.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 26, 2012, 12:16:32 PM »
Mutant Mudds - 8/10

Having played the game from beginning to completion in two 4 hour sittings I can confirm that Mutant Mudds is indeed a fantastic platformer. As good and addictive as it is though, I had a few niggling issues. Too often did I find myself being hit by off-screen enemies I could not see, and I also personally thought that failing a level because I did not complete it within a given time was a little cheap. Other than that though, Mutant Mudds was thoroughly enjoyable.
Gouge away.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 30, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »

Knock another one off my WII list, Muramasa The Demon Blade and really had to force myself just to finish it.

In the past I loved Odin Sphere (PS2) so I fiqured Vanillaware will make this game more or less than same action/RPG that I loved but that isn't the case with Muramasa.  The game is broken into two characters, each with their own storyline but what's the point with dual stories when combined can't don't even make one good one?  Some say it was "lost" during the translation but the game's story make little to no sense other than some Japanese folklore.

Up next is the gameplay.  For stats you character levels up automatically so you're only able to change a few things like which weapons you have equiped and your one accessory slot.  You have 3 weapon slots and by the end of the game you'll recieve something like 90+ blades each with it's special attack but I found like 50 of them to be utter worthless.  Some blades are just to overpowered like the one with an "wind" special attack which leaves you as an immortal-spinning-killing machine getting something like 300+ hits. For the most part you'll be smashing one button down while taking down hordes of enemies. 

The game has to few enemy types so you'll end up grinding away the same group of baddies for an 20+ hour adventure.  And of course you get some major ass slow downs during combat?  Odin Sphere was the same but I expected that issue to be resolved on the WII.

On the good side, the game has Vanillaware's flare for art so there's plenty to gawk at. 

Instead of an action/rpg Vanillaware should have just cut out all the backtracking/grinding and made an 10hour action game.  Instead this game feels bloated for all the wrong reasons.  An 5 out of 10

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Next up is Boy and His Blob (WII) and I'm also playing Warhammer 40K Spacemarine (it's was free for PSN+).

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:15:06 PM by ymeegod »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 30, 2012, 06:43:02 PM »
@ymeegod

Is it weird that I don't disagree with anything you just said, yet I played through this game as both characters and loved every minute of it? I think I just enjoyed the art so much and I didn't find the gameplay to be offensively bad so I was willing to ignore some of the glaring faults.
Gouge away.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #599 on: June 30, 2012, 08:27:18 PM »
Oh, yeah. I even completed all six endings, too. Loved every second of Muramasa. So good.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!