Author Topic: Rate The Last Game You Played  (Read 189020 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate The Last Game You Played
« Reply #450 on: January 22, 2012, 07:53:04 PM »
Tomb Raider: Underworld - I'm really not a big fan of this series, but I did play Tomb Raider Legend on the GameCube and thought it was generally pretty decent (especially given Ms. Croft's bad reputation).  I've had this game sitting on my HDD for several months now since Sony gave it away as a PS+ bonus, so I thought it was about time that I finally cleared it off before FF XIII-2 arrived and dominated my game time.

It's been so many years since I played Legend that I don't remember much what occurred in that game, which is unfortunate since Underworld is a direct sequel to Legend as well as the "Anniversary" remake of the original Tomb Raider.  The game has a compilation video to bring the player up on the events of the last two games, but you can't watch it within game and the game itself makes no attempt to keep the player up-to-speed on previous events.  The end result is that I spent most of the 4-5 hours it takes to beat this game feeling a bit lost and disconnected from the story.  What's here narrative-wise is...ok, I guess, but the story feels shallow and poorly-told, and neither I nor the characters themselves seemed to feel any emotion whatsoever from the various narrative twists.

Despite some mediocre sections of the game centered around swimming (the bane of nearly all 3D adventure games), I thought the overall flow of the game was pretty decent.  The puzzles weren't difficult, and I enjoyed solving them and navigating the environments.  The sense of scale in some puzzles is truly impressive, the most notable of which being a particular section you have to navigate by climbing on and around pillars of stone and climbing and jumping from giant swinging hammers to cross the room.  The Uncharted series does what this game does better, but this game at least doesn't devolve into 15-minute long cover-based shooting sections like that series does.  In fact, there's a surprising and welcome lack of gunplay in this game, despite it apparently being a core element of the franchise.

Overall, this game didn't blow me away, but I enjoyed it better than I thought I would and thought the experience flowed very well.  It's short and to the point, and given how bloated some of the games I've played recently have been that's a welcome change.  It has an identity, which is what elevated it for me over games like Red Faction Armageddon.  If it weren't for how badly the levels flow together and the mediocrity of the storytelling, I would probably have enjoyed it more.

I also had some run-ins with some really poor glitches and bad design decisions, such as magic water you're supposed to be able to either stand on or jump out of, but that the game frequently treats like normal water (the result being that if you fall into it, you can't get out of it, leading you having to reload an old save).  Some levels also could have done with more player guidance, as I occasionally got stuck in some puzzles because I couldn't see how I could transition to another section of the puzzle.  Speaking of the save issue, this game has auto-saves but they're unreliable and the player can't manually load them.  That forced me to actually restart this game twice because of various issues I ran into, where my manual save was either after a glitch occurred that locked me out of a puzzle, or was several hours prior.  At least it was a relatively painless Platinum (#49).   ;)

That'll probably be my last attempt at a Platinum until FF XIII-2 releases.  I'd like my 50th to be an especially notable game, and XIII-2 fits that bill nicely.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:56:19 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 22, 2012, 08:15:18 PM »
Well, I WAS playing Final Fantasy III. I had just gotten to the Opera House boss fight, when the game glitches out on me. I reset the system... And my save file has been deleted.
First, it sounds like your game or system could be dirty, unless you bumped your SNES to make it mess up like that. Things like that usually don't happen unless the contacts are dirty, so if you haven't already, you should clean your cartridges and system with a cotton swab dipped in electronics cleaner or surgical spirit (it should be damp, not dripping wet with it). Make sure to wipe it away thoroughly and allow to dry completely before using it again. Also, you should save your game into all three saves slots, as sometimes one can go bad before the others do.

That said, I also agree that the second half of the game had some of the best moments, though I actually didn't like the Opera House scene. It was so random and uninteresting. Later in the game is when the gameplay really comes together, after you can customize your party and mix and match characters, plus there is some late-game equipment that should be seen to be believed. It'll make the game feel a little broken from being easy, but it's still fun to witness. So if it wouldn't be a pain to play through the first half again, then I say it's definitely worth it.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 23, 2012, 05:38:03 PM »
Finally finished Radiant Historia (DS) and here's my quick review:

The grid based combat adds a new twist to the tried ole turnbased combat.  You'll come up with some killer strategies to taking care of the enemies by pushing them into groups and tossing them onto an landmine for example.  While I loved dissing out the damage I felt the AI was a bit weak--they didn't have grid attacks like you do nor can they change commands input (meaning they can't combo their attacks like you can). 

The story is pretty interesting due to the fact it has "spilt" timelines so you'll get to see events from different views.  While it's the "save the world" all over again, at least it had some interesting villains who are so corrupted you'll feel like killing them twice.

As for the level design, this is the breaking point.   The levels are pretty plain looking and you have to backtrack through them multiple times so you'll get sick of the handful of levels rather quickly.  It's one area of the game that needs to be improved.

Overall it's an solid RPG, an 8/10.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #453 on: January 23, 2012, 10:35:37 PM »
Tomb Raider Underworld

I've always like Crystal Dynamics' TR games. In my opinion, Anniversary was the high point--and that was pretty obvious when I replayed all the games on the HD collection. Underworld is good, but I always encountered wierd geometry glitches--Lara loved getting stuck in corners. Part of this is because the game's scope is so huge, but I also feel like part of it is because her animations are all over the place. I was itching to get the XBLA episodes that weren't (for some reason) on the HD Collection, so I actually bought a copy of the 360 version of Underworld (super cheap) and paid for the DLC. The extra episodes are good--the second one in particular wraps up the storyline MUCH better than the core game does.

My biggest gripe with TR: Underworld is that it was pretty clear, by the end, that Crystal Dynamics didn't know where to go with Lara from a character design perspective. Her face looks completely different from how she looks in Legend and especially Anniversary. Those two games made her look a bit like British model Kelly Brook. But she's looks really wierd by comparison in Underworld. They also REALLY toned down the fanservice, which annoyed me because I'm me, but also because that's part of what makes Tomb Raider fun. It'll be interesting to see Crystal Dynamics take the series in a new direction with TR9.

Also, BTW, I actually think these recent TR games do environmental puzzle-solving and platforming BETTER than Uncharted, because those moments in all the Uncharted games are pretty short and separated from the rest of the game. And like you said, the damn gunplay. I would argue that Uncharted is a cover-based shooter FIRST, environmental puzzle/platformer second.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 24, 2012, 01:39:00 AM »
Also, BTW, I actually think these recent TR games do environmental puzzle-solving and platforming BETTER than Uncharted, because those moments in all the Uncharted games are pretty short and separated from the rest of the game. And like you said, the damn gunplay. I would argue that Uncharted is a cover-based shooter FIRST, environmental puzzle/platformer second.

The reason I would give the Uncharted series the nod on the environmental platforming is that Naughty Dog are masters at ensuring that the player always knows what's expected of them and what they need to do next.  And they do this through largely subtle environmental clues like giving interactive objects an attractive color; maybe occasionally giving an audio clue from an NPC; angling the camera in a particular manner to show off an interactive object; or shining a noticeable light on the next link in the puzzle chain.  It's a lot harder to get lost in an Uncharted game than I've found it is in Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld.

By contrast, those games just throw the player into areas that often required substantial exploration (the two big swimming puzzles come to mind), without the aid of environmental clues and with the hinderance of a particularly obstinate camera.  There is a clue system in the game, but you have to pull up a menu to get it and I often found the clues either blatantly too clear or frustratingly vague.  It's just very clunky to me.  But I will give Tomb Raider this, though: it is really cool to jump off a ledge and engage that grappling hook to cross a chasm or rappel up/down a wall.

I just finished another PSN title, and it's...well...

Zack Zero - Do not buy this game.  I can't be any more clear on this point.  This game is lazy, generic, bug-filled; and it sports some of the worst voice-acted cutscenes with the worst storytelling I've ever seen in a game.  The studio reportedly set out to make a game reminiscent of the golden age of SNES 2D platformers, and they succeeded in replicating the incredibly lame and generic copycat platformers that were common back then. I realize this is the studio's first game, but there's no excuse for the sheer lack of effort obviously on display here.

You want examples of how the game is lazy?

- The game crashes when you trigger too many particle effects on-screen (like I frequently did using my Ice power to freeze and shatter enemies).
- There are a whopping 3 (admittedly decent) songs on the soundtrack.
- There's a trophy for beating the game on "any difficulty", but there's only one difficulty level.
- Every time you die by falling into a bottomless pit it plays the same unskippable 3-5 second animation with only slightly different backgrounds.
- When a boss kills you, the game usually respawns the player right in the middle of the same attack already dealing them new damage.
- I killed the (really cheap) final boss, and after the cutscene I spawned trapped underneath the boss' body, forcing me to restart the entire fight.
- The cutscenes.  God God, those are phoned-in and terrible.  Seriously, watch that link, and see for yourself.

The music is kind of decent; the visuals are not unappealing; and there's some decent opportunity for exploration/discovery of secrets, but this game is so lazy and uninspired that I can't recommend that anyone play it.  The fact that a downloadable game this bland can not only exist in this age of downloadable excellence but also have a $13 price tag is just unbelievable.  That it doesn't even have a real ending, but just a setup for another Zack Zero game is just icing on the cake.

I haven't seen a game this half-assed in years.  Do not buy this game and reward developer Crocodile's utter laziness.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:08:38 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 25, 2012, 03:51:07 AM »

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

Finished it with Isa on Normal mode. The story in this game is batshit insane. EVERYTHING in this game is batshit insane and I wouldn't have it any other way. Chances are those interested in this game have already bought this game and/or sin & punishment 1 on the virtual console, if you have no idea what the gameplay entails just imagine starfox on crack, latter bosses aproach bullet hell levels of insanity. This game is short but honestly it's as long as it needs to be as the gameplay while well executed is pretty shallow once you look at the big picture.

7/10

It's fun, it's fleeting but i got it for $10 new so that's perfectly ok with me.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:54:06 AM by Lithium »

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 31, 2012, 09:54:04 PM »
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX -

This was my first Zelda game, and one that I played at least a dozen times through. It had also been a high point in my mind of the series as a whole. This is my first go round with the DX version. Despite having most of it memorized, I still think this game does a lot of things well. To me, there doesn't seem to be much filler in this game and manages to avoid becoming a chain of dungeons like Ocarina and LttP can do occasionally. The trading quest might be filler, but I like how that encourages you to talk to everyone. Also it would suck if you find the monkey wanting the bananas and you hadn't even started trading and then you had to do all the trading before progressing. I'm sure that happened to people. But I really like how the game balances between stuff to do in the overworld and dungeons throughout. It keeps things moving along quite nicely. The dungeons aren't the best in the series. They're very segmented which is a limit of the Game Boy technology. Also disappointing is the Color dungeon which was new for the DX version. It's more like a mini dungeon that uses enemies not seen in the rest of the game. It's extremely straightforward. Link's Awakening does a great job of showing you things you can't get past long before you acquire the item necessary to pass them. It's kind of frustrating at first but it leads to many "Ah ha!" moments that are always satisfying.

Overall this game hasn't held up quite as well as my memory had led me to believe, but it's still quite good. Way better than the DS iterations, if that's saying anything. Hopefully Nintendo resumes putting stuff out on the 3DS Virtual Console (they took January off) and someday gets around to dropping the Oracle games. I think I played those both once. I'd love to take another swing at em.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 04, 2012, 07:57:06 PM »

Legend of zelda: Oracle of ages

This is a fresh aproach to the traditional zelda forumla, with ideas and items that haven't been used since, the in between dungeon parts are filler-ish towards the beginning but thankfully the later game is more inspired.

the game is good for what it sets out to be: a zelda game. However it's a formula who's spell is wearing out, somthing i noticed after i finished skyward sword. I played this game to see if it was just a fluke but i gotta be honest with myself here, I just don't like zelda as much as i used to. 

7.5/10

-----------------------------------------
edit Feb 8th 2012

Rhythm heaven

Completed it in 9 hours. I sware to god at least an hour of that is dedicated to the last remix, and another hour to goddamn lockstep 1 and 2. I have no rhythm but it's still pure, unadulterated fun. I recomend it to everyone if you can find it really cheap like I did ($5!)
8/10
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:57:38 PM by Lithium »

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 09, 2012, 01:06:32 AM »
playing through Muramasa: the demon blade. I'm liking the fact that they only localized the text since this game is already overwhelmingly japanese anyways. I was worried when i first heard momohime's voice but thankfully it changes to a much deeper and badass voice within seconds.

As for the gameplay im only an hour in and already see blatant padding/kill rooms, in fact the game's combat takes place exclusively in kill rooms. The first boss isnt hard at all it just has a **** ton of health.

[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=YehIaMRoCDs#t=3m40s[/youtube]

using tags in this forum is extremely frustrating...

edit: feb 10th 2012

normally i dont mind having to save at saverooms, but at least space them less than an hours worth of gameplay apart

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:57:16 AM by Lithium »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 10, 2012, 12:28:07 PM »

Rhythm heaven

Completed it in 9 hours. I sware to god at least an hour of that is dedicated to the last remix, and another hour to goddamn lockstep 1 and 2. I have no rhythm but it's still pure, unadulterated fun. I recomend it to everyone if you can find it really cheap like I did ($5!)
8/10

Hmm... Local store has a couple new copies available for $7. I've been thinking about picking this up, but haven't been able to quite bite the bullet yet because have no sense of rhythm and that worries me.  But it's really fun even for people completely devoid of rhythm? Maybe I need to take a chance on this game.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 10, 2012, 10:39:19 PM »
yeah it's still great fun, and if you ever get stuck on a song it lets you skip it no strings attached. the gameplay is really simple, its all done through either tapping/holding the stylus on the touchscreen or flicking its just about the timing, In fact i'd recomend this as a gift to any casual gamers who have a DS. It's easy to understand but has enough depth in the music to keep hardcore gamers happy.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:41:22 PM by Lithium »

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 14, 2012, 05:07:50 AM »

Muramasa: the demon blade

This game starts out on the wrong foot, like i said a few posts above it has some blatant padding at the beginning (and thankfully only at the beginning) where you're basically running back and fourth, but after that the game opens up and becomes more like a castlevania game (order of eccelisia specifically, only without separate stages).

unfortunately however the game's combat takes place exclusively in kill rooms. you get smoke bombs to get out of non-boss battles but not very often. The combat isnt very deep at all, even in Shura mode (hard mode) you really can just get by with button mashing and the bosses wont really challenege your skills, they really amount to attacking them until they die and unfortunately the game just gives them a ton of health to basically make them a battle of attrition. The combat while lacking in depth is at least very cool to look at and makes you feel like a badass chopping down enemy ninjas and monsters.

There's also a blade forging system with many branching paths that may look intimidating but is actually balanced so that you can only go down one tree at a time for the level your character is at, because of this the level system feels inconsequential, it would probably be better to streamline it so the game just upgraded your sword as you leveled up and cut out the forging.

I only completed Momohime's/Jinkuro's story*, pandemonium of the demon blade (final time was about 10 hours) but there's also Kisuke's story to complete but i'll save it if i ever feel like re-playing it. The main difference between the two characters as far as i know is the story, which doesnt really make sense without knowing at least the basics about shinto-bhudism and japanese folklore, like I said in my post about this game above this game is overwhelmingly Japanese.

If I wasn't such a whore for great art design I would be rating this a 7 but holy shitcakes this game is so pretty it looks like you're playing a feudal Japanese painting. Muramasa is  fully voice acted (which the localisation fittingly left the dialogue in Japanese with subtitles) and good music to boot.

8/10
the flip side of the coin to a graphics whore is an art direction whore, if you're like me and are looking for a game with excellent presentation in a way you're probably not used to anymore you'll want to give this game a shot, but based on what i said about the gameplay above your mileage may vary.

---------------------

*edit: February 17th 2012
finished Kisuke's story line (7h 20m)
total time: 17h 21m
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:07:59 PM by Lithium »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 14, 2012, 09:06:24 AM »
Haven't posted anything talking about what I've been playing lately, so a quick synopsis follows:
  • Bionic Commando (3DS VC) - I played this game a long time ago, and enjoyed it then. Glad to find that it has aged like fine wine, and still holds up as an excellent action/platformer today. The worst that can be said about this game is that it doesn't really introduce anything new or daring to the series. Having played Elite Forces on the GBC recently, I strongly prefer this version because the sprites are smaller (although not as well animated) so that the screen doesn't feel as crowded.  8/10
  • Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (3DS VC) - This game took a lot of criticism due to dropping multiplayer modes. That's a fair complaint, but Amazing Mirror is still a very solid single-player game! Most Kirby games are so easy that playing takes no effort at all. In this game, you'll have to constantly plan where to go and what power-up to have with you. Navigating the maze of levels is challenging but fun, and the difficulty level is just right. Quite surprised by how much fun I had playing this one. 7/10
  • Undead Storm: GO Series (DSiWare) - Make no bones about it: this game is designed with multi-player in mind, and if you can't find a few local friends to join your gaming session then it does reduce the enjoyment. But that doesn't mean you should avoid taking on the game solo. Undead Storm still offers great bang for your buck with: a handful of different weapons and enemies; 3 different stages to explore, each have 3 levels of difficulty; 80 different records (ie. achievements) to unlock; responsive and tight, if unusual, controls; all for a measly $2 asking price. 7/10... but add at least one full point if you can access the multiplayer mode.
  • VVVVVV (3DS eShop) - People have been raving about this game, and it's easy to see why. Great soundtrack, simple controls but challenging levels, a surprising amount of content once you include the extra levels, and great retro style.  VVVVVV is a solid eShop title without doubt... but I had a couple of minor complaints. First, character momentum never felt quite natural, no matter how many levels I played through. Second, the game screams "indie". That's not necessarily a bad thing, but left me feeling like it should have been a buck or two cheaper (especially since it can be had for less on other platforms).  In the end it's clearly worth playing but not the out-of-the-park home run that I expected. 8/10
  • Zen Pinball (3DS eShop) - If you don't like playing pinball, I'm not sure that any game can change that opinion. But Zen Pinball certainly tries!  Four tables, each with different difficulty levels and challenges presented. Little details make the game friendly for people who aren't big pinball players, like the automatic "ball save" that each table starts with to ensure a bit of bad luck doesn't get you off on the wrong foot. Plenty of skill shots, missions and challenges, secret bonuses to uncover, all with top-notch ball physics making you feel like you are at a real table. If you like pinball at all, then Zen Pinball is a game worth playing.  The limited viewing area isn't ideal, but carrying pinball in your pocket requires some compromise. Online high score tables that allow you to sort according to various criteria (all-time, weekly, my country, my friends) provides great incentive to keep playing, although reports suggest that a few bugs might be allowing invalid scores to be entered in some cases. Focus on competing against friends unless you are a real pinball wizard.  The only thing that could make this game better would be downloadable tables... oh right, that's already in the works.  10/10

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 14, 2012, 09:35:53 AM »
This weekend I finally busted out my copy of Punch Out! for the Wii from Christmas.  Mostly due to getting new battery packs for my Wiimotes.  I at first tried the Nunchuck controls.  Pressing up on the analog was to flakey for me so, being a veteran of the NES game, I switched to the NES control scheme.  Things went smoother from there.  I haven't made the space to try the Balance Board.

A lot of the characters are like there NES versions.  There are more sound queues and the flash red when you need to do something as well.  I like the practice mode though I wish your trainer would help you train.  I do miss the little info blurbs between rounds rather then them just talking.  I think its neat that they use the boxers language.  Though I'm concerned about the length of this game.  I didn't spend to much time on it this weekend and I'm up to Bald  Bull already.

Overall I'm enjoying it.  Its Punch-out.

I also snuck in some Final Fantasy: XIII.  Yes I haven't beaten it.  I got the game on December 6 and just haven't had time to go back.  Mostly getting the TV from the family.  I'm getting the Paradigm system much better then I did last time.  I'm having an OK time with the game but it's mostly amounted to walking.  What I played through last weekend I didn't hit any bosses even though I did finish about 2 character sections and started on a third.  I figure I hit at least one boss.  I did run into a harder then normal mob.

I haven't upgraded any of my weapons.  I keep going I will and then I go Why Should I?  I'm not sure if I like the leveling system mostly because it seems to contain abitrary locking.  I have 2 characters that have almost entirely fillled out there's and haven't had the next tier unlock so they are stuck at level 1 for all there Paradigm.

This game is fairly linear and disjointed.  I keep getting taken to sets of characters that aren't near each other.  To the Past.  Just here there and everywhere.  I'm not a huge fan of overworld's, but the world just seems relatively lifeless so its not that fun to look around.  Its to the point that I almost wish this game was just Cutscenes and Battles.  Much like Punch Out! is.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 14, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »
Aquaria

Because I like this game so much, I am not going to give out a long review on its behalf. I don't want to spoil the sense of surprise, so you can enjoy it like I did. I will just tell you plain and simple that it is the best indie game I've ever played.

If you like Beautiful 2D graphics, Zelda, Metroid and Music, then give this game a chance. It should be right up your alley. It certainly was for me.

To leave you with something tangible from the game, here's one of the songs from its stellar soundtrack.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQWJBaWqIVA[/youtube]

It took me about 10 hours to complete.

:confused; :D ;D :cool;

EDIT: Changed the youtube vid cuz I found the actual one I wanted to show you.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:16:41 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 15, 2012, 12:16:06 PM »
Rhythm Heaven (DS)

Wow. The game looks cute and has a fun soundtrack. It comes highly recommended - both higher up the thread and elsewhere. Yet I have never played a less enjoyable game. (Yes, I'm the same guy who stood up and made the claim that "E.T. on Atari wasn't really that bad...")

It's easy to understand how some people will really enjoy this game. Especially if you have a sharp sense of rhythm and timing, it might be a blast. I don't have that, and the only "blast" seen during my time with the game was a vein in my head popping when it told me that I failed yet again and would have to repeat the level.

A poor sense of rhythm doomed me from the start, and frustration grew quickly when I realized that practice doesn't make perfect in a game like this. Even if it did, playing the same lame flicking/tapping games a dozen times to progress is hardly enjoyable and any sense of humor or cuteness is quickly lost. After enduring just over an hour of punishment with this game I'm ready to trade or sell and never, ever look back.

So how do I rate a game that is obviously made with quality in mind but becomes a terrible personal experience?  It still gets a 1/10 from me, with the caveat that you might (in fact, probably will) enjoy the game more than I did.  Definitely not recommended to anyone unless you can try before you buy.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 15, 2012, 03:49:45 PM »
Shame you didn't like it, guess it really isn't for everyone after all. Went on a limb to recomend it to you because I'm also devoid of rhythm and really enjoyed it. There's no point in telling you to stick with it (so I wont) since it seems like you don't agree with it on a conceptual level after reading your posts on the rhythm heaven fever review as well.

oh well, different strokes.

Quote from: my muramasa post
Only completed Momohime's/Jinkuro's story, pandemonium of the demon blade (final time was about 10 hours) but there's also Kisuke's story to complete but i'll save it if i ever feel like re-playing it.

lol, i felt like re-playing it XD

so far it actually seems like a different game, story and bosses are completely different for the two characters however there are no new areas  (so far at least), but you travel through the world in a different order.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:04:27 PM by Lithium »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 15, 2012, 04:07:06 PM »
Shame you didn't like it, guess it really isn't for everyone after all. Went on a limb to recomend it to you because I'm also devoid of rhythm and really enjoyed it. There's no point in telling you to stick with it (so I wont) since it seems like you don't agree with it on a conceptual level.

I suspect that normal people would enjoy the game... in fact my wife thought it was fun and cute, despite not being her "type" of game. Saying that I have absolutely no rhythm would be an understatement, and obviously had a huge effect on my ability to enjoy this particular game.

Seriously. An hour in and I can't get past that robot level. There must be something wrong with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 15, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »
At the end of the day, a review is an opinion piece, a summary of your personal experience with a game. It's important to be honest with that, and changing what you say based on how you think other people will feel is a bad road to head down. Just be clear with the reasoning that got you there and you're good. You said something that went against the grain, but you explained it, and sometimes that's the best kind of review.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 15, 2012, 10:41:26 PM »
Actually, I feel that the controls in Rhythm Haven are a little off. It just seems like the response from touching the screen is delayed, and even if it's only a split second, it's very noticeable in a game that essentially requires precision. I'm usually good with rhythm and timing stuff, and I know a little about music and can play a piano decently enough, so I'm certainly not devoid of rhythm.

You would probably still not like the game even if it were more responsive, but I do think that it wasn't just your personal issue and Rhythm Haven has some control response issues.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 16, 2012, 02:59:09 AM »
I feel rather proud of myself tonight, Internet. Because I just crossed one of the big ones off my bucket list. Super Mario Bros 3. TAKE THAT LINDEMANN SYNDROME!! By the way, I beat this on an actual NES cartridge, which means having my Retron 3 left on for the past few weeks. I had been stuck on Pipe World for the longest time, but knocked that out last night, and then barrelled my way through World 8 just now. Bowser was rather easy, in my opinion, but that doesn't detract from the fact this is a fucking amazing game. But I'm now officially burnt out on Mario for the time being.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 16, 2012, 03:17:00 AM »
nice, that reminds me I need to play that game as well (never got it as a kid)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:21:17 AM by Lithium »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 16, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »
I feel rather proud of myself tonight, Internet. Because I just crossed one of the big ones off my bucket list. Super Mario Bros 3. TAKE THAT LINDEMANN SYNDROME!! By the way, I beat this on an actual NES cartridge, which means having my Retron 3 left on for the past few weeks. I had been stuck on Pipe World for the longest time, but knocked that out last night, and then barrelled my way through World 8 just now. Bowser was rather easy, in my opinion, but that doesn't detract from the fact this is a fucking amazing game. But I'm now officially burnt out on Mario for the time being.

*Standing Ovation*

Congrats on beating the game, and doubly so for completing it without skipping levels.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 16, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »
In the purchase thread you can see I made a lot of purchases... all for $27.  My Wife got me for Valentines day Mario Kart Wii  I would have preferred 7 but she got me Wii so we could play together.

Its not as good as Double Dash or DS.  Just feels lifeless. Moving on.

I had gotten Bionic Commando.  Been interested in this game.  Here's a few things from what I played so far.

The Bionic Commando himself has a good kit of moves.  Plenty to play around with.  The gunplay is good.  The health system is hard to judge.  Swinging could be better.  It be great except if you release after the indicator you just drop down like you have no momentum.

The reason I split the Commando from the rest of the game is... Level design.  Its not super good.  A city has been bombed to smithereens.  So its irradiated and flooding.  The Commando Kit is so good that they had to make him sink in water and quickly die in radiation to confine the players.  Radiation is not indicated well and water is a rather slow death of you flailing to find a grapple point.  I would have much preferred that Water be an insta-death if there was no grapple options to get you out.  There are some places that are truly great. 

The city is pretty and bright for something bombed back to 1942.   Enemies talk and have average intelligence.  If you pick off someones buddy they don't stand there looking dumb.  I had a case where an enemy I would have not aggroed myself saw that his buddy was in danger across the way and went to help.  There is gating where you have to defeat all the enemies before being able to do x.  This is mostly hacking something.  You have to kill all the enemies before you can hack into something.  Which sort of bugs me but they should kill you when you are standing there hacking anyways.  What annoys me most about those kill everything one is I ran into an area where with some clever grappling I could get past all the enemies but then I'm confronted with a must clear all the enemy gate.  Back to non-clever level design.

My next biggest problem with this game is Load times.  It takes a while to load anything and this games loads often.  When your really get into the grappling groove you can go from load point to load point in minutes.  Which effective makes 50% of you time loading in those areas.

There is good in this game.  I don't want people to think I haven't enjoyed my play through.  I'm still waiting to have my full kit unlocked to me and for a boss.  I also think this game was done a generation to early.  On the Wii U I would expect this game to have half the loads.  Which would greatly enhance this game. Did I mention it was pretty?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 17, 2012, 04:00:11 PM »
finished Kisuke's story on Muramasa (7 hours 20 minutes) anyways if you're only going to play one storyline play Momohime's.  Kisuke's storyline has a lot of backtracking while in momohime's storyline you're almost always traveling to new areas of the world.

personally if somone were interested in getting this game i would play one storyline and then save the other story for when/if you ever feel like "replaying" the game even  though pretty much everything is different except for the world (since both storys take place in the same region of japan that makes sense), i think there's 1 or two areas from each story that you don't go to in the other. Reason i say save the alternate story for a "replay" is because the gameplay is exactly the same.

It's very unusual for me to want to double dip on a game right after i finished it but i guess that goes to show how much i enjoyed playing this game, even with all the gameplay flaws i mentioned in my other post above.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:01:53 PM by Lithium »