Author Topic: Rate The Last Game You Played  (Read 189020 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Rate The Last Game You Played
« Reply #400 on: November 19, 2011, 03:07:20 AM »
Are there any "new" dinosaurs?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 19, 2011, 09:42:32 AM »
Are there any "new" dinosaurs?

Yeah, there's a Mosasaur for an underwater section and a small dinosaur with a paralyzing bite called a Troodon, but apparently those were both real dinosaurs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 09:54:59 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #402 on: November 19, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »
Mosasaurs are certainly real, yeah. They ranged the oceans of the world, from small critters to Plioplatecarpus to huge monsters like Tylosaurus. But they're not dinosaurs--they're basically marine monitor lizards.*

Troodon is also real, one of the most "well known"** members of its family (Troodontidae) in North America. The paralyzing bite is an interesting addition. I wonder if that's a holdover from the compys in the Jurassic Park novel.

*Seriously, mosasaurs are marine monitor lizards. There's an excellent series of transitional animals between monitors and mosasaurs. The middle ground animals are called agilisaurs, and they gave birth to live young, which allowed the group to invade the oceans in the first place. They also had overlapping, keeled scales and caudal flukes, so they were effing awesome.

**Troodontids are a sister group to Dromaeosauridae, and those two together (Deinonychosaurs) are a sister group to Aves (birds). Troodontids are more poorly-known. They weren't as robust and tended to be smaller, so fossilization was rarer. They're far more common in Asia. The North American fossils have basically all been sunk into "Troodon," but most remains are so fragmentary that's it's entirely unclear what the true troodontid diversity in NA is.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 21, 2011, 07:58:30 AM »
Ghost Trick (DS)

This is a tough game to rate.

The story was well-written and always compelling due to interesting characters and unexpected twists. Each stage introduces new environments that contain a series of short puzzles to solve. The graphics and animation in this game were very impressive; still screenshots don't do it justice. Unfortunately, because the game is highly story-driven and relies almost entirely on unique environmental puzzles to progress, after you've completed it once you've seen virtually all of the content available and have little reason to play again.

So who will like Ghost Trick? Fans of the Phoenix Wright series, point-and-click adventures, or games with strong stories. Who should stay away? Anyone who prefers action over cut-scenes or judges games based on how long they get played instead of how enjoyable they are while playing.

Ghost Trick is definitely worth playing. Just think carefully about how much you are willing to pay for a one-shot playthrough of 10 to 12 hours; personally, I feel that a sub-$20 price point is perfect for this game.

Verdict: 8.5/10
NNID: ejamer

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 21, 2011, 09:54:22 AM »

damn digital roots.
I'm pretty damn sure that zero was/is  a disgruntled math teacher

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 21, 2011, 10:16:43 AM »
Mosasaurs are certainly real, yeah. They ranged the oceans of the world, from small critters to Plioplatecarpus to huge monsters like Tylosaurus. But they're not dinosaurs--they're basically marine monitor lizards.*

Troodon is also real, one of the most "well known"** members of its family (Troodontidae) in North America. The paralyzing bite is an interesting addition. I wonder if that's a holdover from the compys in the Jurassic Park novel.

*Seriously, mosasaurs are marine monitor lizards. There's an excellent series of transitional animals between monitors and mosasaurs. The middle ground animals are called agilisaurs, and they gave birth to live young, which allowed the group to invade the oceans in the first place. They also had overlapping, keeled scales and caudal flukes, so they were effing awesome.

**Troodontids are a sister group to Dromaeosauridae, and those two together (Deinonychosaurs) are a sister group to Aves (birds). Troodontids are more poorly-known. They weren't as robust and tended to be smaller, so fossilization was rarer. They're far more common in Asia. The North American fossils have basically all been sunk into "Troodon," but most remains are so fragmentary that's it's entirely unclear what the true troodontid diversity in NA is.
Pics or those pieces of Dinosaur Era's life didn't happen. :P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 21, 2011, 07:01:42 PM »

An engrossing story that takes some cues from the puzzles of professor layton and story elements of the pheonix wright games (near the end) while tossing in some mystery and gore...Minus gameplay. 999 is a visual novel folks, expect minimal gameplay and treat it as if you're reading a choose your own adventure novel with pictures. If you go in expecting a "game" you will be sorely dissapointed. It isnt perfect, some of the dialogue is a little cringeworthy but thankfully, are isolated moments and... (major spoiler dont highlight if you haven't finished)snake getting shot 6 freaking times by a revolver close range and somehow doesnt die from that...and we're talking about a scrawny guy here not Solid snake, that moment really took me out of the story but the story still manages to grab a hold of you and takes you for a ride.

The ending however dissapointed me with its intentional inconclusivness in an attempt to make me re-read the story with another ending. The rollercoaster ride there was worth it but I'd rather just look up the different endings online.

8/10
Its already out of print. its worth the regular retail price of $30 but i wouldn't go spending anything more than that.

btw this is rated M for a reason, don't buy it for your kidsunless you want to scar them for life.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:01:50 PM by Lithium »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 21, 2011, 10:52:10 PM »

8/10
Its already out of print. its worth the regular retail price of $30 but i wouldn't go spending anything more than that.

Timely review.  I've been thinking about this game for a while but needed a shove to go ahead and purchase. Doubt that it'll be in print for long... so this review gave me the incentive necessary to order.

FYI: Amazon has the game available and on sale for $15.99. Anyone else looking for a copy should pick it up while they are still available... and while ordering, why not toss in a copy of Ghost Trick for an additional $14.50? Great way to qualify for free shipping!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:54:02 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 22, 2011, 04:31:22 AM »
Nice price for 999. 

Just finished a couple of titles and here's my take:
Fear 3 or F3AR (PS3) is going end up disappointing many of the orginal fans of this FPS-horror series.  It just doesn't have that scare factor so all you'll left with is a ho-hum single player mode.  Saddly I would think your character would be developing more "powers" as the series continues but the game never gives the player the ablity to use anything other than slowtime.  Tried the MP mode but couldn't connect because there's 0 players online.
An 5/10, not broken but there's plenty of other FPS worth playing.

Also wrapped up Call of Duty Black Ops (PS3) Single player mode.  Man is this single player mode brutal.  It's been awhile since I had to play an FPS in normal mode because of the challenge.  It's not really because of the AI but because there's no cover system and you'll only surive a couple of rounds in you.  Some of the set pieces where amazing and they picked songs that just fit the mood. 

An 8/10, decent singleplayer mode for an CoD game. 

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 22, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »
FYI: Amazon has the game available and on sale for $15.99. Anyone else looking for a copy should pick it up while they are still available... and while ordering, why not toss in a copy of Ghost Trick for an additional $14.50? Great way to qualify for free shipping!

Whoever hasn't played either of these should jump on that, both are great games.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #410 on: November 22, 2011, 10:26:51 PM »

Pics or those pieces of Dinosaur Era's life didn't happen. :P

The mosasaurs?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 23, 2011, 10:39:25 AM »
Yes.  Also the other ones to.  I'm sure you've got something more interesting then I could find.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #412 on: November 23, 2011, 05:40:28 PM »
Hmmm...I don't really know how to post images, but Google search for agilisaurs (if there are even images of them) and tylosaurus or plotosaurus. Plioplatecarpus is a good one, too.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #413 on: November 23, 2011, 06:50:31 PM »
[ img ] (link to image) [ / img ]

Take out the spaces.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 24, 2011, 10:01:48 PM »
Finished up the lastest Professor Layton & The Last Specter (DS) and here's my review:

This is the forth game in the series and it's flaws are beginning to show IMO.  To many puzzles are simply broken (either you can get multiple correct answers or the question is lost in translation).  My biggest gripe has always been with those crappy images puzzles mostly because of how grainy the low-res pic is and the lack of zoom--one simple function and all my issues would go away. 

The story is actually a prequel so you don't need to play the others to figure out who's who but I kinda missed the ole villain Don Paolo.  The new one barely makes an appearance and nothing is given about him other than an name.  So expect an nice cliff ending where the villain just walks away at the end.

An 7/10, the series needs fresh ideas and more functions added in order to grow.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 10:03:35 PM by Ymeegod »

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 26, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »
Radiant Historia

this is odd...I have skyward sword with me (still in the shrink wrap), can download skyrim off of steam have bf3 installed (but to be honest i didn't like it nearly as much as i thought i would) and could buy MW3 (bleh) if i liked that.

yet I'd rather play this obscure DS RPG instead.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 30, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »
I scored both Batman Arkham games from Walmart for $30 on Black Friday. I'm probably only about a third of the way through Asylum. At first I was pretty enamored with it, as it is HEAVILY inspired by Metroid Prime, a game that I love to say the least. But I must say the luster has worn off as it's gone on a bit. Maybe it's just the section I'm in, but it's kind of repetitive. Four times now, I've basically had to follow breadcrumbs and it wasn't very fun the first time. Combat is a mixed bag. I love running into the middle of a group of bad guys and taking em on. Fighting in these situations is based on timing and when you do it right, it's very satisfying. The stealth combat, on the other hand, is boring as hell. The whole, "swoop in, take a guy out, hide on the gargoyles, repeat" formula has already grown stale. You unlock more combos and stuff as you progress so hopefully it'll spice itself up at some point.

I just feel like I need more variety or I need more interesting environments to explore. They're not giving me either at the moment. Still, the voice acting, especially Mark Hammil's Joker, is superb and Rocksteady has really nailed the Batman feel in this game. I'll keep at it, hopefully it gets better.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #417 on: December 01, 2011, 12:34:46 AM »
I loved Asylum, but you're right in that the combat opportunities never really got fleshed out (at least with armed thugs). They REALLY spruce it up in Arkham City.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 13, 2011, 09:47:20 AM »

Radiant Historia
Chrono trigger meets string theory

To me a good RPG is a good story, which is why i tend to dislike JRPGs since they tend to force feed you through 20 minutes of text/cut scenes whether the story/dialogue etc... is good or not.  Thankfully this is one of the few JRPGS with a story line that I actually gave 2 shits about.  It's not perfect, there are some plot holes and the like but I still enjoyed it.

The fighting system is enjoyable as well, Radiant Historia uses a grid battle system which allows the player to push enemies into each other so that another party member can damage multiple enemies with one attack and a combo system that ups the damage and experience points the longer your party can land successive hits on an enemy in one turn. Because of this fighting battles aren't the typical menu simulators you might be used to and brings an element of strategy to them.

The music is excellent in this game as well however my one complaint is that there isn't enough of it so you'll be hearing the same tracks very often.  I guess hiring Yoko Shimomura for the job got a little too pricey for Atlus. Speaking of which since this is an Atlus game you probably wont be able to find it. I was lucky in that I found a random copy sitting on the DS shelf in a best buy. If you ever find yourself as lucky as i was buy it immediately. Even if you don't want to play it you can easily sell it for a profit.

9/10

If you had to choose 1 of the many jrpgs on the DS this is the one. (assuming you've played Chrono Trigger in one form or another)

final time: 41hr 27min
170/236 nodes, party ~lv50
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:44:16 PM by Lithium »

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 14, 2011, 01:53:36 AM »
Just finished up the Catherine (Xbox 360) and it's one hell of a feat. 
The gameplay is pretty damn brutal unless you realize that the "undo" button works for more than one block.  Meaning you get to rewind time if you make mistakes (something I didn't even use until 6c), otherwise you'll end up dying or getting stuck more often than not.  For a game based on building blocks it's actually quite fun once you get a hang of the controls which isn't perfect.  The game does a poor job with 3D camera angles so you'll end up missing glues or just hanging on the backside of some block without a clue as what lies next to you but if you stay in front (2D) than it's fine. 

Overall the story isn't all that bad and the anime is actual quite charming with some witty dialog so I enjoyed watching "Vincent" worm his way out of cheating.  I ended up getting the crappy ending but youtube had all the endings for you do enjoy regardless of your answers.

An 8/10 A challenging-charming puzzler hinder by camera controls.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:00:31 AM by Ymeegod »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 14, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »
With the PS3 version of Skyrim pissing me off with its crashes and bugs and Skyward Sword pissing me off from its sheer mediocrity (and Xenoblade on hiatus while I tried to get those two out of the way), it looks like hell has indeed frozen over: I have 2 PSP games to talk about.  And great...they're both very flawed games that necessitate quite a few words.  I think I'll split these up into 2 posts for easier reading.   :-\

Corpse Party - Alright, I'm a big fan of the When They Cry (Higurashi) anime, a story about a group of teenage friends who find themselves constantly repeating 1 particular summer week that always ends with all or nearly all of them dead in particularly nasty ways (often with one of the friends the killer).  This game is kind of like When They Cry crossed with the Japanese horror film The Grudge, except not nearly that cool or interesting.

In this game, you play as members of a group of friends who incorrectly perform an occult ritual (because apparently all the cool kids these days are into that), sending them into a multi-dimensional Hell in the form of a derelict elementary school haunted by the ghosts of other occultists and serial killer victims.  Over the course of 5 chapters, they have to find a way to find each other across dimensions and escape the school before the local Happy Haunts cause them to kill each other or themselves.  Yeah, it's a happy story with some particularly grisly and painful deaths.

I know, it sounds pretty cool so far, right?  Well, here's where the other shoe drops: it's a 16 bit-style visual novel game full of so-called "Bad Ends" typically triggered by the most seemingly-inconsequential and asinine of actions.  And when you screw up, it's Game Over (sometimes 2 hours later) and up to 3 hours of play time lost if you didn't have a backup save early enough to change course.  And of course you can't skip dialogue.  Why would you possibly want to skip such classic exchanges as two characters talking about sharing ass cream (no, as a matter of fact I'm not making that up), "buttering [their] pooper", as it were?  This is a game designed to be played with a FAQ in hand, because you will not discover many of the obscure "Right End" triggers on your own.  Throw in instant-kill ghosts that can really ruin your playthrough, and you have a game that can be pretty tedious to get through.  And what little bonus content there is is pretty lame.

Visually, the game is pretty unimpressive.  This was originally made with that old classic PC program RPG Maker, and it looks every bit of it (note that there is no battling of any kind in this game).  The music fares much better with some pretty cool tunes, though in the early going it's pretty inappropriate for a horror game.  The Japanese voice acting is excellent, though, and the localization is pretty well-done.  Finally, I really don't care for how the ending plays out, but that has more to do with my dislike for the traditions of Asian Horror movies (where everyone is inevitably screwed no matter what they do).  The game did get a sequel, though, that presumably tied up this incredibly convoluted and plot hole-ridden story.

Overall, Corpse Party was pretty average.  I liked the story and atmosphere, but hated the trial & error gameplay and the way you pretty much have to follow a guide to get through the game with what is deemed the only good ending.  I would probably play the sequel if it was ever localized, though, just to see how the story ends.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:38:31 PM by broodwars »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 14, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »
Fate/Extra - Similarly, I'm also a big fan of the Fate/Stay Night anime, a very Highlander-esque series where Magi from around the world gather in one city to battle each other with mythological and historical avatars called "Servants" to win the wish-granting Holy Grail.  Sadly, this game is significantly lamer than that.

Like the other Fate properties, this game takes place in its own universe with appearances by some familiar characters, only now apparently the Holy Grail War is one big 128-Magi Battle Royale inside...the Matrix (it might as well be).  After suffering through one of the worst 2-hour prologues this side of Kingdom Hearts 2, you can finally pick from 1 of 3 cool Servants and battle your way to the top...very, very, very slowly.  I hope you like reading reams of poorly-translated text (where it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between an internal monologue and verbal dialogue, and questions read like statements) and hours upon hours of dungeon crawling, because that's all you do in this game.  I also hope you like your 14 dungeons to have almost no visual variety beyond the one Tron-meets-The-Little-Mermaid aesthetic, because that's all the variety you get.

To be fair to the game, there are some good ideas at play in this game.  The Servants and story-important NPCs are engaging, and the rock-paper-scissors-based battle system (where the more you know about your enemy, the more of your opponents moves you foresee before they make them) is an interesting Fighting Game-esque spin on your standard RPG battle system.  At times, the game almost plays like Persona 3.  Unfortunately, all that is wasted on a game that has very little gameplay variety and a great deal of formulaic repetition, leading to an experience that just grated on me over the course of the 50 hours I put into it.  And like Corpse Party, you can't skip any dialogue and there are Bad Ends, though at least you can save whenever you want and you know pretty immediately if you made a Bad End choice.

Fate/Extra is a game I really wanted to love since it's based on a franchise I really enjoy and it has some fun gameplay ideas, but it wears its low-budget status on its sleeve and thus also wears out its welcome fairly early on.  If you can withstand the tedium of constant level-grinding, there's a decent story in here and it's a decent introduction to the concepts of the Fate universe.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:47:43 PM by broodwars »

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 24, 2011, 04:27:13 PM »
Just finished up Deus Ex Human Revolution (360) and here's my review:

It really does remind me of the original Deus Ex, a great game that had some major issues to overcome.  In the beginning you were very underpowered and you felt alot weaker than an standard human begin.  Your stamina bar is one bar and it depletes with a simple knockdown move meaning you'll spend a great deal waiting for it to recharge, two even when you get more bars with upgrades you'll find that once a bar is depleted it doesn't recharge (no skill for it neither).  So you'll get an great set of skills that you really can't use or abuse like you want to (there's items you can consume but they are very few in the beginning of the game).

Also the best augment in the game is "kill only 360 blast" so players trying to get the no kill achievement are out of luck (couldn't they have one that did 360 stun). 

And lastly, the MAP sucks.  The towns areas have hidden passages or blocks that the map simply didn't show even after you discovered them.  Also the pathfinder (mission quest indicator) sometimes messed up pointing you in the WRONG direction. 

It's not a perfect game but i still enjoyed most of this action/RPG game, an 8/10.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:29:54 PM by Ymeegod »

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #423 on: December 27, 2011, 05:26:44 PM »
Super Mario 3D Land. I know, late to the party. It was a Christmas present.

Holy SH*T where has this game been all my life? This may be...this may be the best Mario game ever. That includes the 2D and 3D series. I'm just now delving into the excellent special world, and I can't stop playing.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 29, 2011, 03:27:26 AM »

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
copy/pasted from the Skyward Sword thread since I'm a little compulsive about posting in this thread haha

I feel as if this game should have been around 25 hours long, and I would have been quite satisfied if that were the case. However in the end it seems like Nintendo took some queues from Rare, and collecting musical notes is a little too close for comfort if you ask me. However zelda always had filler, the main difference here and the reason why I think we've seen many people (including myself) complain about filler is the fact that Skyward Sword takes very little effort to disguise it, doesn't  make the player feel purpose in going through it and becomes a grind because of it.

Due to the filler, this game becomes boring with spikes of brilliance. The Dungeons are very well designed and might be my favourite of the 3-d Zeldas, the motion controls are very responsive and might be the only game aside from Zack and wiki where the use of the motion controlls genuinely enhances the gameplay. The boss fights are as exhilarating as they've ever been because of both the use of wii motion plus and treating the boss fights as straight up fights instead of showpieces for your newest item. The puzzles are also a refreshing departure from what we're used to, the use of the timeshift stones especially so.

While the motion controls were excellent as a zelda game I was left dissapointed. It didn't live up to the level of quality gameplay I expect from zelda, However when compared to regular games it was still quite good.

7/10
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:00:42 PM by Lithium »