Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 410574 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1
« Reply #1451 on: November 18, 2014, 12:14:25 PM »
Who said the PS4 was selling bad, except in Japan?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: November 18, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »
People. Don't look for evidence, just assume it's true.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: November 18, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »
The IGN article mentions analysts predicting the end of the console.  Like we have tablets and phones now so what do you need videogame consoles for?  That's such a non-gamer perspective.  The reality is that non-gaming machines aside from PCs are only suitable for casual fare.  The videogame market existed for decades before the blue ocean crowd came in so why can it not sustain itself on that pre-existing audience that was already buying games before Wii Sports and Angry Birds came around?  Try to play a GOOD game on a tablet and then try to argue we don't need consoles.

I think that's a big part of the PS4's success.  Consoles are for dedicated gamers.  Nintendo tried to recreate the Wii's mainstream success while MS is backpedaling off of a previously mandatory Kinect purchase, an accessory that only impressed casuals.  The casuals are gone.  They have their phones.  Sony saw that, the other guys didn't.  The PS4 really hasn't impressed me yet.  It doesn't turn me off either though.  It reminds me a lot of the PS1 era where Sony succeeded by simply being competent during a time the other guys were screwing up.

Here's something that's quite impressive: Sony has now bounced back from a screw up and could claim to be the only videogame company to truly do that.  They beat the old guard with the PS1, stayed on top with the PS2, slipped big time with the PS3 but managed to slowly rebuild their credibility by the end of the generation and appear to have made a complete comeback with the PS4.  Nintendo thinks they came back with the Wii but really just temporarily found a new audience while further destroying the flimsy standing they had with the traditional audience.  Sony has regained their old target audience after losing a fair chunk of them to Microsoft.  They actually learned from their mistakes, a concept that sounds simple and obvious in theory but is rarely executed correctly.  Of course the overall company of Sony is run by idiots but maybe that makes the PlayStation division's continued success all the more impressive.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: November 18, 2014, 02:27:54 PM »
I'm still surprised by the strong selling of the PS4.  I've owned one from launch and now that they broke the perfectly functional Share Play I'm back to not really being able to recommend the PS4 over a PS3.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: November 27, 2014, 01:19:14 AM »
The IGN article mentions analysts predicting the end of the console.  Like we have tablets and phones now so what do you need videogame consoles for?  That's such a non-gamer perspective.  The reality is that non-gaming machines aside from PCs are only suitable for casual fare.  The videogame market existed for decades before the blue ocean crowd came in so why can it not sustain itself on that pre-existing audience that was already buying games before Wii Sports and Angry Birds came around?  Try to play a GOOD game on a tablet and then try to argue we don't need consoles.

I think that's a big part of the PS4's success.  Consoles are for dedicated gamers.  Nintendo tried to recreate the Wii's mainstream success while MS is backpedaling off of a previously mandatory Kinect purchase, an accessory that only impressed casuals.  The casuals are gone.  They have their phones.  Sony saw that, the other guys didn't.  The PS4 really hasn't impressed me yet.  It doesn't turn me off either though.  It reminds me a lot of the PS1 era where Sony succeeded by simply being competent during a time the other guys were screwing up.

Here's something that's quite impressive: Sony has now bounced back from a screw up and could claim to be the only videogame company to truly do that.  They beat the old guard with the PS1, stayed on top with the PS2, slipped big time with the PS3 but managed to slowly rebuild their credibility by the end of the generation and appear to have made a complete comeback with the PS4.  Nintendo thinks they came back with the Wii but really just temporarily found a new audience while further destroying the flimsy standing they had with the traditional audience.  Sony has regained their old target audience after losing a fair chunk of them to Microsoft.  They actually learned from their mistakes, a concept that sounds simple and obvious in theory but is rarely executed correctly.  Of course the overall company of Sony is run by idiots but maybe that makes the PlayStation division's continued success all the more impressive.

The question is will Sony still be around for the next gen.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: November 27, 2014, 01:54:44 AM »
The question is will Sony still be around for the next gen.

ok sir

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: November 27, 2014, 06:26:40 AM »
Isn't Sony doing poorly in every division except video games? Barring an epic and historic collapse, Sony will most certainly be around next generation, but it better hope Nintendo and Microsoft don't suddenly figure out working strategies which doesn't seem terribly likely based on the way things stand currently, but I suppose you never know.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: November 27, 2014, 10:47:28 AM »
Within the context of Ian's post it's a fair question. He said Nintendo came back with the Wii only to fall off again with the Wii U, while assuming Sony came back fully based on pretty much just a year. We don't know where Sony's going to be at this point next time around. A lot can happen in that span of time.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline RedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: November 27, 2014, 10:50:10 AM »
Yes, all the profit from the video game division was wiped out. They already sold their pc business and they announced they are making less TVs and less phones to try to loose less money.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:05:49 AM by RedBlue »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: November 27, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »
Next month's PS+ free games are pretty awesome. Actually every month it's pretty awesome. But anyway...

PS4:
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
Secret Ponchos
Titan Attacks!

PS3:
Hitman HD Trilogy
Deadly Promotion: Director's Cut
Titan Attacks!

Vita:
Final Horizon
Titan Attacks!

Next month PS4 gets Infamous: First Light and The Swapper for free.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1461 on: November 28, 2014, 12:26:18 AM »
Gheeze, why bother buying PS4 games at all?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: November 28, 2014, 12:54:07 AM »

I know I don't! *Smile and JAZZ HANDS*
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline RedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: November 28, 2014, 01:04:00 AM »
I wonder how much money the publisher gets for the "free"  games

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: November 28, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »
Destiny and Skylander Swap Force are the only PS4 games I actually own.  The rest are PS+ and I have a pretty sizeable collection.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1465 on: November 28, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »
Probably should've just waited a year for Destiny.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: November 28, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
Probably should've just waited a year for Destiny.
Probably.  I bought into the hype and then couldn't cancel my Pre-Order.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: November 30, 2014, 04:44:29 AM »
I finally got around to installing the 2 TB drive I had sitting here for a while in my PS4. I'd already gone through the process once earlier this year, when I swapped out the stock 500 GB one for my old 1.5 TB. It's a relatively simple process, but it feels like it could be more streamlined. Backing up/restoring save files is definitely way more trouble than it needs to be.

This is as big as these drives come (at least right now), and once the long, long process of redownloading everything finishes it's going to be close to half full, just a year into the system's life. Sony's going to have to come up with something to extend it, ideally just letting me do what I do on Wii U and plug in an external drive.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: November 30, 2014, 03:01:30 PM »
I'm curious to see what your budget spent on digital media across all gaming systems since the Wii is.

It's gotta be someone yearly salary worth of downloadables at this point...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: November 30, 2014, 03:37:17 PM »
I don't think I want to know that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: November 30, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »
I don't think I want to know that.

you'd probably quit gaming if you saw the $$$ laid out like that in front of you.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1471 on: November 30, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »
I did quit gaming for that reason.  $400-500 a year...on a non console launch year, and that is just the bare minimum.  I know I have spent way more than that some years. 

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: November 30, 2014, 09:37:53 PM »
A long time ago I sat down, and I'm sure you can find me talking about this one the forums before, and I compared gaming to other hobbies.  What I found was with how I game it was very competitive and most of the time cheaper than most other hobbies.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1473 on: November 30, 2014, 10:50:47 PM »
I remember that conversation. 

It may be true for many people.  I have found that it isn't true for me.  But another cost to gaming you have to calculate is if the hobby enriches your life.  I wish I had realized that gaming does very little to better your life...I should have been more committed to a sport or reading, or theater, or programming, or language study...or basically anything.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: December 02, 2014, 12:30:46 AM »
It's part of the reason I stopped collecting comics all those years ago....
and then I quit smoking.... and then I quit drinking... and then I quit gaming...
and then I quit buying fucking lotto tickets...

all that hobby money just keeps getting funneled into something else.
I wonder what's next? gambling? hookers? gambling on hookers?