Author Topic: Dragonquest-MIA?  (Read 3168 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Dragonquest-MIA?
« on: May 02, 2003, 08:31:07 AM »
  I found it a little unusual that when Square-Enix unveiled their lineup for E3, DQ was absent.   Not only that, but the Xbox was the only platform that they had no games for .  I know DQ was previously announced for the PS2, but could M$ have pulled a power move and secured the rights?  It just seems weird not to mention the biggest game, or second biggest, in your lineup for the biggest show of the year.  Or perhaps i'm just looking too hard...
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Dragonquest-MIA?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 08:40:19 AM »
they probably not showin it cuase the game could still be in the early developement stages (which I doubt since there were already some nice lookin screenshots floatin around but you never know given how enix takes yrs to get their dq games done) or they'r still undecided on weather or not they are goin to release it outside of japan.  There's no point in them showin dragonquest at E3 if us Americans will never have it.  They'll prob showcase it at a japanese convention somewhere down the line.

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
Dragonquest-MIA?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 11:05:57 AM »
Manny makes good points.  About your Microsoft thing...I do not see it happening.  Enix makes Dragon Quest for the most successful system in Japan, which is the PS2.  The Xbox is one of the worst-selling systems in the country.  I think the Enix of Square-Enix would stay away from the Xbox.  Who knows, though?  Microsoft could put a big money hat right in front of Square-Enix's door anyday.  It's up to Sqaure-Enix to accept.    
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Dragonquest-MIA?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 12:40:19 PM »
  The reason I brought up M$, is because I saw an interveiw with Square/Enix where they said they were 'contemplating' XBOX support.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Dragonquest-MIA?
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 12:42:27 PM »
I think it would be really fun to see what would happen if Microsoft did give Squenix a zillion dollars for Dragon Quest.  It would raise some serious hell in Japan but I don't think it will happen.  There's very little evidence of Square Enix doing anything for the Xbox so far, and MS would have to fight for totally exclusive rights, which they don't usually do (e.g. Splinter Cell, Wreckless and Dead to Rights)  If MS didn't have total exclusivity over the game, the Japanese would just wait for the PS2 version.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 12:47:51 PM »
It'd piss me off so much if Enix released a game for the XBox before the Cube. I really don't think that'll happen, though.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
Dragonquest-MIA?
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 03:00:28 PM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I think it would be really fun to see what would happen if Microsoft did give Squenix a zillion dollars for Dragon Quest.  It would raise some serious hell in Japan but I don't think it will happen.  There's very little evidence of Square Enix doing anything for the Xbox so far, and MS would have to fight for totally exclusive rights, which they don't usually do (e.g. Splinter Cell, Wreckless and Dead to Rights)  If MS didn't have total exclusivity over the game, the Japanese would just wait for the PS2 version.

Hahaha Squenix, funny.

Offline Zelda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 03:25:14 PM »
Square Enix wouldn't be dumb enough to release Dragon Quest on Xbox.
The reason DQ isn't going to be at the show is because it's not ready and because it hasn't even been unveiled in japan yet. Japanese RPGs are usually unveiled in Japan first.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Dragonquest-MIA?
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 03:46:10 PM »
Zelda: ACtually, it was unveiled in Japan, kind of. There were shots of DQVIII all over the internet- Enix has finally scrapped the old graphical style and gone with a cel-shading type.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2003, 03:55:48 PM »
Dragon Quest is ONLY made for the console with the biggest userbase.  It's always been like that, and it will likely remain as such.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Modulus-X

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2003, 05:49:12 PM »
there's news about this at gamers.com  
-=[Modulus-X]=-

Currently Playing: Zelda: The Wind Waker, WarCraft 3 Expansion Beta, Star Wars Galaxies Beta

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Dragonquest-MIA?
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2003, 08:32:34 PM »
i would like to see how dragonquest is comming on but i guess we wont
it will definately release for ps2- it has the biggest user base
the next system would have to be gc- its more popular in japan than the xbox
but i guess we will see at e3
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
Dragonquest-MIA?
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2003, 11:06:18 AM »

Originally posted by: Zelda
Square Enix wouldn't be dumb enough to release Dragon Quest on Xbox.
The reason DQ isn't going to be at the show is because it's not ready and because it hasn't even been unveiled in japan yet. Japanese RPGs are usually unveiled in Japan first.

What if they do what Square is doing with Final Fantasy on Gamecube, though, releasing a spinoff title? (Crystal Chronicles.) Nintendo is semi-banking on Square RPG fans warming up to the Cube more via this game, but could that work just as well on the Xbox for a Dragon Quest spinoff? Or will it not work for either?

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Dragonquest-MIA?
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2003, 11:47:51 AM »
Even if Microsoft would pay slightly more than the game one the PS2 would have earned, then Square-Enix pride would still stop them from having crappy sales for one of the best selling games to date.
LZ 2005

Offline Zelda

• View Profile
Dragonquest-MIA?
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2003, 01:16:28 PM »

What if they do what Square is doing with Final Fantasy on Gamecube, though, releasing a spinoff title? (Crystal Chronicles.) Nintendo is semi-banking on Square RPG fans warming up to the Cube more via this game, but could that work just as well on the Xbox for a Dragon Quest spinoff? Or will it not work for either?

1. GameCube is different than Xbox.
2. FF:CC isn't a "real" Final Fantasy game

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
Dragonquest-MIA?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2003, 03:00:33 PM »
1. Wow, what a revelation.
2. Yes, that's why I mentioned it being a "spinoff". A warm-up to test the waters.