Author Topic: The winds brought the same thing...Death. (Spoilers warning)  (Read 3476 times)

Offline Ninja X

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
One thing confused a couple people here, and it is the nonexistent state of the Gerudo, the tribe Ganondorf hails from, in The Wind Waker.  

In the end, before Ganondorf delivers three blows to Link and summons the Triforce, Ganondorf mentions how the winds destroyed his land while another wind seemed to bring a type of prosperity to Hyrule.  

I'm just wondering, but his land is the Gerudo land, correct?  Could that mean that the Gerudos have been killed off by these winds?

And are these winds the gods' doings?  The gods selected choice people and placed them on the top of mountaintops so they could survive the flood and create future generations that could one day awaken Hyrule in all its glory yet again.  All the major races seem to be there except the Gerudo who were "the bad guys" of the land.  It seemed that the gods commanded those winds to kill off the Gerudo while the gods brought a "prosperous wind" to Hyrule.  Perhaps I'm just overthinking on this matter and the winds that destroyed Ganondorf's land was natural.
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline 3_MaSteRPIeCE

• View Profile
The winds brought the same thing...Death. (Spoilers warning)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 07:02:53 PM »
I remember it being pretty windy in the gerudo desert in OoT.

maybe the winds did kill them off or it was just an extra line to let the fans speculate on for a long time. (i'm still hanging on the butler's son and that twisted tree in MM)

Money for war but not enough to feed the poor - TuPac

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 08:11:17 PM »
I don't think you should take the wind so literally.  It's just a metaphor for all the death and despair that the desert people received, while the Hylians were blessed with rain and good health.  Ganondorf envied that wind, and that's why he always wanted Hyrule.

As for the Gerudos, they could be dead, or off somewhere else on the vast ocean.  I don't think he was referring to them when he spoke of the wind, though.  He could probably care less about their fate.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Rymir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 08:38:52 PM »
I know its kind of silly to feel sorry for the guy who want's to kill you and everything, but it almost seemed as if he was a good person for a moment more concerned about the Gerudo's wealthfare then his own power.

Okay my moment of compasion is over... basically, the line "The winds brought the same thing...Death" was a metaphor like Hostile Creation said. It meant that desert life sucks compared to the lush life of the Hylia, and in OoT and WW that kind of hints that the Gerudo and Hylia had been enemies for a while, maybe that is why Gannondorf was trying to seize Hyrule in the first place.

Secondly, thing of the "Moblins", they didn't exist in OoT and MM, yet it WW, LttP, LoZ, AoL, (the games that take place AFTER OoT in the timeline, most likely), all have moblins. Yah I know OoT had something similar to moblins in a couple places but not the standard moblins, so just MAYBE the moblins are a contrivance of Gannondorf, since basically GANNON form is a big super moblin, and if we are to connect LttP and OoT at all, the Gerudo did help out Gannon therefore it might be possible that the Moblins, being an enhanced form (though kinda stupid), might be the Gerudo. It seems possible that the Moblins were created from the Gerudo since the Gerudo were Ganondorf's people and the moblinoids are GANNON's people.

just something more to think about...  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 05:00:22 AM »
I think there were Moblins in OoT, and things that were specifically called Moblins (you could Z-target with Navi and see the enemies' names).  When you were going to the Forest Temple, remember those big pig-esque dudes with spears that would run you over in the hedge maze?  Those were called Moblins.

Your theory could be right, but I just thought I should mention that memory.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Rymir

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 05:48:50 AM »
Yes I suppose that is true there was one kind of moblin in OoT, however, what I want to know was there any moblins BEFORE Gannondorf got the Triforce of Power, if not (I'm not 100% certain) then my theory might have some more proof from the game.

My guess is that since I believe moblins didn't show up in the game until after Gannondorf recieved the Triforce of Power, the moblins were just begining to exist and weren't that important yet. In WW, however, they are VERY massive in numbers, and it still stands to reason they might be the Gerudo.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 06:36:08 AM »
No, there were no Moblins before Ganondorf got the Triforce of Power.

However, that would imply that all the pig-men we've been fighting are actually pig-women.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 08:31:29 AM »
I believe the Gerudo died off because of one thing: little means of reproduction.  A man is born every hundred years in Gerudo lore.  Eventually all the women would die off, right?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 04:50:50 PM »
Unless they stole Hylian men to copulate new generations with...but that is doubtful.  With the flood, the races were spread far apart.  By no means of reproduction, the Gerudo slowly died out.

I like that explanation better than the one I brought up about the wind.  Thanks, Bill.  

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 04:53:03 PM »
Well, is it just me, or are the moblins male-ish?  And aren't the Gerudos almost all females?  Although that is very minor...I do like your theory, Rymir.  Good thinking right there.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2003, 05:28:02 PM »
Yeah.  There's no reason for me to believe that Moblins were once Gerudos.  It's a pretty good theory, just one that doesn't appeal to me much.

Offline Rymir

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2003, 02:12:58 PM »
I don't neccessarily think that the Gerudo are moblins, however, as far as moblins being male or female, they are more and less neither, they probably lost all properties of their former selfs, and either way the moblin WERE most likely created by Gannondorf after he got the Triforce of Power, whether or not he created them from stratch or from the Gerudo, however, is what we don't know.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2003, 05:24:15 AM »
What if Tetra is a Gerudo? She kind of looks like one of those gerudo guards from OOT and she's a pirate. Just my two cents...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2003, 02:28:12 PM »
No, she's probably not, since Zelda has to be descended by the Royal Family of Hyrule.  She's probably just dark from being on the open sea so much.  Why she's a pirate. . . perhaps her mother/protector (could be the pirates, since they're pictured as guards in the picture in the castle) gave her to the pirates to make her self sufficient and difficult to catch, if she needed to escape from Ganon (pirates are nomads on the ocean; they always move, so they're hard to find).

Offline Rymir

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2003, 07:33:31 PM »

I believe that Tetra's mother, who was most likely also named Zelda (it is the family tradition I guess...), probably hide among the pirates and when she died Tetra stayed with them, or maybe the Pirates are the desendants of the remaining Hylian Guard, who knows?

I don't know if the REAL Zelda is alive or not (who ever knows with Zelda series) but Tetra is not the OoT Zelda, of course, she just has the same real name, since most likely Tetra is not her true birthname. She is just a desendant whom is also connected to the Triforce of Wisdom, possibly she is like Link, who is Link Reborn, maybe she is Zelda Reborn? I don't really know, of course.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
RE: The winds brought the same thing...Death. (Spoilers warning)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2003, 05:30:01 AM »
I had goosebumps when I saw that painting in Hyrule Castle.

You know those spine-tingling moments in movies when a character finds something like a painting, marking, manuscript and finds out that his friend/love interest is from like hundreds of years in the past? I can't think of any examples (movies) here though. any one know of any?

Those are freaky moments.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline HolyPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2003, 05:22:48 AM »
I can say with almost complete and total certainty that there is no connection between Moblins and Gerudos.  As for the proposition that the references Ganon made to the winds that brought prosperity to the Hylians and death to the Gerudos was only metaphorical, I doubt it.  There is nothing to suggest that it was just a metaphore, and he did go into further detail about the physical hardships faced by the winds he spoke of.  That is like showing your neighbor scars on your arm from a war you were drafted to fight in and then that neighbor deciding that your referneces to the war were only metaphorical, that there was no such war.  Besides, with the game's emphasis on wind, it only makes sense for him to have spoke literally.  I think the whole conversation was there partially for story depth but mainly to make Ganon more of a real person.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

If whatever I just posted sounds rude/hateful/whatever then you probably read it wrong, but I will insert apology here, anyways, just in case.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2003, 02:39:47 PM »
It was a metaphor, to a degree.  The wind, of course, is harsh in the desert, whereas it brings water in grassy lands.  However, the wind was mostly a metaphor in the sense that Ganondorf was trying to clarify the differences between his lifestyle and that of Hylians and why he coveted the "Hylian wind" so much.  It's more complicated, but that's the jist (gist?) of it.  The part where he says "the wind. . . it's. . . blowing. . ." confirms this.  The wind sure as heck didn't kill him.  Link did

I beat the final boss ten times now