Author Topic: I wanted to see Switch Infrastructure at E3  (Read 6880 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
I wanted to see Switch Infrastructure at E3
« on: June 17, 2017, 05:50:13 PM »
and didn't get it!  :@

I wanted the Online service revealed
I wanted the eShop to be updated
I wanted cloud saves!
I wanted Youtube and Netflix and a browser
I wanted to be able to move data from the SD card to Switch and back
I wanted the word on virtual console.
I wanted Switch rewards in My.Nintendo.com!

Actually, I have a theory about Virtual Console: no more virtual console. Game will be released in the normal eShop for various prices, like Neo Geo has been.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: I wanted to see Switch Infrastructure at E3
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »
I'm assuming we'll get more info towards the Splatoon launch.  Whether we'll get Netflix and a web browser is up in the air.  But since Splatoon has that whole headset thing coming out, Nintendo will have to put the app out by then.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 10:37:13 PM »
and didn't get it!  :@

I wanted the Online service revealed
I wanted the eShop to be updated
I wanted cloud saves!
I wanted Youtube and Netflix and a browser
I wanted to be able to move data from the SD card to Switch and back
I wanted the word on virtual console.
I wanted Switch rewards in My.Nintendo.com!

Actually, I have a theory about Virtual Console: no more virtual console. Game will be released in the normal eShop for various prices, like Neo Geo has been.

And instead, you got a bunch of awesome announcements plus, inevitably, all this stuff you listed. Expect a Direct in the near future to reveal the online service. I'm also expecting something regarding cloud saves and streaming apps sooner than later.

I also think you're right about Virtual Console. Nintendo is responding to VC questions and referring to those games as "legacy titles."

Basically, if Nintendo had spent any time sharing about their online service, it wouldn't have been the best presentation. It would have been "So what?" All the stuff you listed is common. Expected. It'll be there soon enough.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 11:11:22 PM »
At this point I could probably get a microwave with Netflix support. Having it on the Switch isn't that important to me.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 11:29:12 PM »
You can't carry your microwave everywhere. Not everyone has a 3ds. Switch should do most everything 3ds does. Should have at launch. The fact that they don't have it by e3 well expectedly suggests internal turmoil inside Nintendo.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 11:59:22 PM »
I don't understand this "Switch doesn't need Netflix/YouTube because I can access those things in a million other devices" mentality. The fact that almost all electric devices have some version of Netflix or YouTube on them puts Switch at a disadvantage.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 01:34:25 AM »
I'm not saying it shouldn't be there. I'm saying that it's not worth spending time at e3 talking about it. Come to think of it that entire list he offered makes more sense for a direct then anything like Agent-X said.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 03:38:35 AM »
Well, it's just I can't buy the line "we'll let you know in the future" anymore.

I said it in an earlier thread. As a company they are totally disorganized. They have a really smart hardware department, but they can't keep schedules for games, they don't do routine things. Having Netflix on Switch shouldn't be too hard. Netflix is on the Shield, it has the same hardware.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »
Perhaps a frowny face is overstating things a bit.

I do miss having a more robust system on my console though, compared to Wii U and even 3DS.

Maybe I'm just lashing out because I miss Miiverse. :( Splatoon won't be the same.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 04:33:44 PM »
Nintendo should reveal this stuff simply because the Switch is selling quickly enough that there are those that aren't willing to pop by the mall every morning to see if Switchs came in and are fine with just waiting until the Switch is readily available in stores.  So being wishy-washy about this stuff is not going to build confidence in potential customers for which this stuff matters and that are waiting for the Switch sales frenzy to die down.

Of course that also means Nintendo has to get this stuff right.  I'm glad the Switch is selling well but it hasn't yet met the initial demand.  Once it does, if Nintendo's online stuff is complete trash then that may kill the momentum right there.  I don't want Nintendo think that because the Switch has started off on the right foot that that things will just sail along from here.  The Wii was one of the most successful videogame systems ever and yet its successor was a complete flop that you figure could have gotten something out of its predecessor's momentum.  Except there was no momentum.  Nintendo rested on their laurels and the Wii went from the biggest thing in the world to an after-thought in its last years.  Super Mario 64 was a killer app but as the N64's problems became obvious to consumers the momentum was stalled.  I knew tons of kids at the time that traded their N64 in after the first year or to for a Playstation.

Things change.  Right now the Switch is the Breath of the Wild machine and its got lots of good games due for it.  But once everyone finishes Zelda if the online infrastructure is the shits and/or there's a game drought in 2018 from Nintendo trying to get everything in the first year and not really attracting enough third party support to offset that then that momentum may disappear.  Nintendo has to continue to do a good job.  I really don't see why they have to so often bugger up really routine things.  There must be some outrageous stubborness at the top of Nintendo for that nonsense to have lasted this long.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 11:19:49 PM »
Infrastructure Improved!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=52240.0

I love how Nintendo can't get the Pro Controller to properly function in a wired setting without breaking it even further. Busted D-Pad? No NFC while wired? Impeccable piece of $70 dollar tech right here.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 09:57:48 AM »
Why doesn't the NFC work? That seems silly.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 03:01:17 PM »
I can't even get upset over that because NFC is probably the most expendable feature on the Pro Controller. It's just like, what?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 05:44:04 PM »
I didn't even know the Pro Controller had the NFC.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 09:18:23 PM »
So was the wired controller support mainly for the Pokken controller or is there some other benefit? I could see years down the road when your Pro controller battery has went kaput.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:19 PM »
But the Switch controller already had USB wired Pro support according to r/NintendoSwitch. Did it not work for everyone?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 10:44:15 AM »
Was it actually wired or still wirelessly connected while plugged into the dock and charging?

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »
Was it actually wired or still wirelessly connected while plugged into the dock and charging?

The latter.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 01:43:53 PM »
Actually former according to user tests from 3 weeks ago. Someone used a Bluetooth sniffer to verify there is no wireless traffic from the controller when plugged in, so it was acting as a wired controller.

Though this is just from people reporting on the internet. Also it could have been part of an earlier updated and undocumented until now because it wasn't stable until this update.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 11:12:29 AM »
The announcement of the delay of the paid service would have been a sign that they wouldn't have anything to show at E3 in terms of network infrastructure. Plus if they refuse to show their mobile games at E3 I seriously doubt they will show anything about the network at the show and leave that for a Nintendo direct/press release type of thing.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 07:47:11 PM »
Rumors that guest accounts and save data transfer is coming to the Switch

http://gonintendo.com/stories/284030-rumor-save-data-transfers-guest-login-online-option-coming-to

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »
The save thing is a godsend if true. I HATE losing saves and not having an alternate method of storing them makes me highly paranoid and anxious.

Right now, I'd love to see a better designed eShop, a way to organize games on the main menu, folders, more avatar types, and other small QoL stuff.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 05:49:49 PM »
More options in the menu would be great. I have enough games that the current setup has gotten a bit unwieldy. The ability to have more than one row, like the 3DS menu, as well as folders, would be really nice to have.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »
Agreed! Oh, and since I'm a real sucker for the in-depth of the 3DS Activity Log, better tracking and more games at once available to track on Switch profiles for games. I want to know exactly how long I've played my games instead of more nebulous things like "for a little while" or "played for 30 hours"!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 06:18:14 PM »
Yeah, save data transfers is something I'd like to see as well.

It's funny how the Activity Log has gotten worse since its inception on 3DS. The Wii U one was more basic and had less stats, and now the Switch has something even more vague.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 02:20:40 PM »
It looks like Nico Nico (Youtube-ish) is coming to Japan today.  I wonder if this is a sign of imminent Youtube, Netflix, web browser, etc.  I'd like a proper media player as well, but not holding my bananas.

Offline SNESliferate

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • tempocams
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »
I think out of everyone, Nintendo had the best showing at E3. It was pretty bad this year imo.