Author Topic: Nintendo Switch headset chat is typical Nintendo LOL-Failâ„¢  (Read 8118 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Because Nintendo.

Nintendo Switch headset chat looks like a mess

At least the headset looks cool.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:21:03 AM by Adrock »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch headset chat is typical Nintendo LOL-Failâ„¢
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 11:29:43 AM »
Nintendo's failure to put a voice chat solution inside the console itself means we get this stupidity, which is why I'm finding it harder and harder to justify giving them money to play online games.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 12:03:19 PM »
What makes this even more pathetic is the fact that the generic phone Hori used in the picture is clearly an iPhone (given the circle Home button) yet iPhones don't even have a headphone jack anymore.

Video game consumers: Switch is such an elegant solution to Nintendo's biggest problem of having both a handheld and console. Remember the Sega Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X? We've come a long way since the days of having a mess of cables, adapters, and add-ons.
Sony: Hold my beer. *launches PlayStation VR*
Nintendo: LEEROY JENKINS!!!!!11112
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:06:29 PM by Adrock »

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
I appreciate that Nintendo likes to pretend that no other companies have solved problems before and come up with their own solutions.  It leads to a lot of great things.  Anything related to their online infrastructure, though, tends to be comically painful and outdated.  This is one category that I wouldn't mind them just copying from competitors or even partnering with Steam on.  I can't see myself ever using this convoluted solution.  It could just be a passive aggressive attempt to destroy voice chat in its infancy on the Switch.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:16:01 PM »
Nintendo is such a strange company.  They'll come up with something brilliant that makes shovel loads of cash one day and the next day just completely **** up the most routine thing that I think that literally no one else in the entire world with any basic familiarity with videogames would get wrong.  This is basic stuff that their competitors were doing correctly over ten years ago.  This concept is worse than the voice chat they had on PRIOR Nintendo consoles so where does Nintendo get these ridiculous ideas from?

Take the phone and that weird arrow looking thing out of that diagram.  Headset connects to Switch.  That's what every consumer expects.  This setup is dumb for a traditional console and is stupid as **** for something that's also portable.  How do you play online on the go juggling three devices?

The Switch is benefitting from being the first to the market but with idiotic nonsense like this it's just a matter of time before Sony or MS releases their own hybrid and eat into Nintendo's market by simply doing routine things in a way that isn't insane.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »
This is the summer of online multiplayer for Nintendo and Switch!!

-needs an adapter for wired online-

-needs an adapter (and a cell phone with a headphone jack) for voice chat-

We're going paid online this fall, trust us with your money!

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »
I find pretty much nothing lamer than these headsets in the first place, though that's basically an extension of my dislike for online multiplayer. But while I'll never use it and this doesn't affect me, it's definitely a bad enough case where I'm cringing vicariously.

Is it possible this is just for the portable mode? How would this even work while docked?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 12:37:27 PM »
One thing to note is that setup seems to be required if you want in-game audio and voice chat audio going into the same headset.  Not that it's much comfort.  But that was something we were wondering when the whole app thing was announced.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »
This method ostensibly solves two problems for Nintendo:

1. It offers better protection from a legal standpoint. Since chat is handled through a dedicated communication device, you're either using your own, or you willingly gave one to your child. It's more difficult to hold Nintendo liable if you don't like what your child is doing online.

2. It allows Nintendo to offset any processing for voice chat to a separate device which allows Switch with its comparatively weaker hardware to use all of its processing and memory for actual gameplay.

Bonus: if this is the just the My Nintendo app, Nintendo is basically marketing to you wherever you take your phone.

Ultimately, if this was all handled wirelessly, it'd make a lot more sense. It wouldn't be as user friendly as an integrated setup, but there would be fewer roadblocks. Currently, you're literally tethered to two devices. I don't even know how I'd do that at home with the way my TV and couch are positioned.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:20:25 PM by Adrock »

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 02:10:58 PM »
I guess the idea is to use Bluetooth headphones at home and hear the muffled sound from the TV through it.

My thinking is that #2 is more relevant, since what we've seen so far is a very minimal OS.  They might have just given almost zero resources to it.  Since the technology of the NVidia chips is quickly progressing, a smaller NSi could have plenty of overhead to run Switch games and still have a proper modern OS in the future.  Not that exciting now, of course.

In terms of legal issues, hopefully Nintendo just uses the clear precedent set by other companies.  There are also parental controls to monitor or disable online functionality for kids.  But, Nintendo does worry about things like this more than seems logical at times.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 03:18:45 PM »
The wires are like leashes on well-trained dogs. It lets other people know that things are safe.

Mom: Oh, I don't understand this video gaming thing. Its so confusing!

Dad: Look! We can follow the cords to see what is going on with Billy's game. This cord goes to his $1000 gold plated Galaxy 10 S Edge + that we bought him. This must mean he is talking with other people!

Mom: Oh noes! But what about creepy strangers?

Dad: Its alright, my brother works at Nintendo and he told me that only people you are friends with can talk to you, so that should save Billy from too much harsh language.

Billy: What the hell is this ****?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 04:02:33 PM »
So, can you use your phone as a speaker phone for voice chat?  Like a Wii Speak?

I'm trying to think of alternatives.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 07:03:48 PM »
This is idiotic. In fact, it's beyond idiotic. Incredible disappointment. They've basically killed voice chat already. The Nvidia Shield TV (same hardware as the Switch) already supports voice chat with Android games and has for two years now...there is no excuse for this.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 01:21:25 AM »
I keep telling myself that maybe this is the "free" option and we will get a premium chat service once the paid online interface launches. I am also drifting close to the definition of clinically insane.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 03:10:43 AM »
Is this confirmed to be anything but some sort of bizarre 3rd party accessory, like do you need it to do voice chat at all.

So, can you use your phone as a speaker phone for voice chat?  Like a Wii Speak?

My Bluetooth headset has pretty good noise canceling for shutting out external sounds so I'll probably use that with my TV speakers and skip the rest of this mess.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 03:40:49 AM »
Dear Nintendo

There is a USB-C Jack on the bottom of the Switch that is perfect for multipurpose I/O. This jack can be used for things like a headset.

-ThePerm

Dear Nintendo
 The Switch has built in blutooth support for things like the Joycons. These Blutooth functions could also be used for things like a headset.

-ThePerm

Dear Nintendo
 Android and iPhone devices should be considered competitors to your system. Advertising these devices, which host emulators that allow users to pirate your games is in direct competition with your online stores. They also host a number of games that you will not get licensing money for. They should be treated as hostile to the Switches revenue stream.

-ThePerm

Dear Nintendo
The switch has an advanced modern mobile processor. This processor is more powerful than most(or all?) phones on the market. Anything that could be done on a phone could be done on a Switch in software.
-ThePerm

Dear Nintendo
Please re-introduce a microphone and camera onto the next model of the Switch. Switches could be a disruptive device in the mobile phone market. If you offer a free phone chat service then there will be no need for cell phones.
-ThePerm

Dear Nintendo
You should have released a phone app cart for Nintendo DS when you had the chance. You guys beat the iPhone to the market with a device that had smart touchscreen interface by 2 years. You sold 100 million DS units. If you had put a damn phone cart out **** would be way different.
-ThePerm

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:15:13 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 03:55:20 AM »
Dear ThePerm,

Please understand.

-Nintendo
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 04:07:18 AM »
Dear ThePerm,

I highly doubt the Nintendo DS's wireless capabilities were strong enough to connect to a cellular network.
-pokepal148

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 04:26:57 AM »
Dear ThePerm,

I highly doubt the Nintendo DS's wireless capabilities were strong enough to connect to a cellular network.
-pokepal148

Who needs a cellular network when wifi is common? I didn't say it would have been the ending of cellular phones, but it could have been disruptive. I had thought to myself while playing metroid prime hunters(Why don't they put a phone on this? Or at least create an application for this) A missed opportunity. All they needed was a messaging ID service like aim and nobody would have a reason to use a regular phone. Also, a big note: People didn't regularly password protect their wifi in 2006. I routinely used the free wifi offered by my neighbors to play Mario Kart. The first device I ever had that was wifi compatible was a DS.
It was significantly more portable than my girlfriends laptop, with a much better battery life.

Also, wasn't Microphone Chat for Starfox Command only available in local wifi mode?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:33:06 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 08:53:44 AM »
The picture and dongle shown are worth the scorn the internet has given them.  That said, this is their "solution" for someone who wants voice chat AND game audio in their headsets at once, right?  Hori is basically trying to fix what's broken in Nintendo's online chat solution.

I don't know, ladies & gentlemen, I can't say I'm surprised it's come to this when everything ABOUT the Switch is in effort to make compromises.  I do wonder if Nintendo worried that voice chat internally on the Switch would add extra burden for a console that would already seem underpowered at launch compared to its competitors.  Limiting the system features on-board is one way I suspect they're able to ensure as much of the processing power is available for themselves and Devs to devote entirely to how the game runs.

That said, as an example, when I play overwatch on PC, I actually have the sound route through the desk speakers and have one hear on my headset.  This works pretty well and helps me better hear teammates.  I also have an old iphone I haven't tried to sell yet exactly for this purpose, so it's not going to take up my phone availability anyway.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »
Is this confirmed to be anything but some sort of bizarre 3rd party accessory, like do you need it to do voice chat at all.

Nintendo has given it official license status so they expect you to use it if you want to voice chat.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 11:14:37 AM »
Nintendo has officially licensed Hori to make all kinds of niche stuff that wasn't at all the main way to do things. I wouldn't assume that this is the only way to do voice chat.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »

My Bluetooth headset has pretty good noise canceling for shutting out external sounds so I'll probably use that with my TV speakers and skip the rest of this mess.

Wouldn't all the noise canceling in your headset keep you from hearing the videogame sounds coming from your TV?

Nintendo has given it official license status so they expect you to use it if you want to voice chat.

I think we've known that the app was needed for voice chat for a while.  This device seems only designed to solve the issue of wanting voice chat and game audio going into the same headset.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 11:59:35 AM »
Yeah, I recall the app being mentioned in passing a few months ago, and everyone groaned. My issue is still with all the additional wires because I can at least see how using an app on an independent device benefits Nintendo and by extension, Switch owners. If you weigh them against each other, I still don't see how this was the better choice.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »
Well, I guess people on other consoles can forgo voice chat to avoid offensive language, and Switch owners and forgo it to avoid becoming entangled in all the cords.