Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 422642 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #600 on: March 30, 2010, 07:12:36 PM »
Yeah, that was a great video!  It looks way better in motion than it does in screens.  Why is Nintendo so shitty at taking screenshots?

I will need to play this for myself, but the video, while it looks good, didn't look very challenging if all it is is button mashing while holding forward.

Part of the challenge of Metroid is figuring out where to go and what to do.  Even if the combat is not that challenging IF they're sticking true to Metroid the exploration element will still make for a challenging game.  I personally could live with easy enemies provided I still have to hunt around to find secret passages to get where I need to go.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #601 on: March 30, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »
Well in Super Metroid most of the enemys were easy. There was a handful of normal enemies that were difficult. I would like a mix of easy to hard ratio to be 70 easy/30 hard as far as normal enemys go.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 30, 2010, 07:37:38 PM »
but didn't you have to aim in Super Metroid?

It's not that the enemies are easy to defeat, it's that I don't even have to asim at them to hit them, I just have to face them and press 1111111 and it's done.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 30, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »

It's not that the enemies are easy to defeat, it's that I don't even have to asim at them to hit them, I just have to face them and press 1111111 and it's done.

Isn't that what you do in Super Metroid? Face enemies and shoot? This just seems to be a 3D game meant to be played more on a 2D plane.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 30, 2010, 07:50:36 PM »
I barely remember Super Metroid as I never owned nor beat the game, but didn't you aim up, down, forward and backwards to hit enemies, not just face the direction and push a button.

I don't remember Super Metroid having auto aim. I could be wrong, but I really don't remember the game having it.

Other M might end up playing great and being really really fun, but just watching the video, I'm a little less than impressed if the game does all the aiming for you out side of the FPT(FirstPersonTurret) mode.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #605 on: March 30, 2010, 07:52:08 PM »
DUDE IT'S ON THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GO BUY IT RIGHT NOW!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 30, 2010, 07:58:08 PM »
So battling normal enemies is a little bit simpler than it was in Super Metroid, but it was so inconsequential in Super Metroid that being a little easier doesn't really seem like it matters. We've already seen that the boss battles involve a lot more strategy, more so than in Super Metroid.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 30, 2010, 08:05:12 PM »
Wow didn't know Pro has played the whole game yet!

Seriously go back to Super Metroid, enemies are not that hard on average, it is exploring and the boss battles that were the most challenging aspect of the game. Enemies in the game, for the most part, were minor obstacles most of the time, unlike the Metroid Prime games. This game is going back to its roots, and peon enemies were never what made the original series so good.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:09:11 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #608 on: March 30, 2010, 08:15:02 PM »
That would be your immobile turret 1st person arcade shooting gallery mode.

Not exactly, there really was a 3rd person charge beam moment tidbit of a clip in the trailer.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #609 on: March 30, 2010, 08:17:04 PM »
Wow didn't know Pro has played the whole game yet!

Seriously go back to Super Metroid, enemies are not that hard on average, it is exploring and the boss battles that were the most challenging aspect of the game. Enemies in the game, for the most part, were minor obstacles most of the time, unlike the Metroid Prime games. This game is going back to its roots, and peon enemies were never what made the original series so good.

I just came back from E3 2010.  My review will be in next month's Game Informer.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #610 on: March 30, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »

The difference is that enemies can now surround you from all sides (and top and bottom) en masse.  Having to target them would make it significantly harder.  I suppose games like PS360 Grinder do that, but in that case, you have spread weapons.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #611 on: March 30, 2010, 08:19:45 PM »
I just came back from E3 2010.  My review will be in next month's Game Informer.
I take it that you've been playing the Nintendo 4DS.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #612 on: March 30, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
Super Metroid enemies weren't hard on average, but there was still an art to deftly defeating and maneuvering around them to make quick travel.  In these old shooty platformers, the very act of pausing your footwork in front of an enemy means they were a threat worth addressing.  If I may steal so, holding Right and going "1111111111111" doesn't fit this mold.

If exploration is the important part of this new game, it'd better not go overboard with painfully obvious beacons and switches for "hidden" gates.  There's a noticeable difference in the way the Prime games setup their puzzly gates as systems to be dismantled (that fit the aesthetic of the environments), versus "shoot the BIG EYE" in 3D Zelda.  One of the valuable parts of Super Metroid is many passages were hidden/masked in such a way that you didn't think they could be passages, opening up the world as a surprise.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 30, 2010, 09:26:39 PM »
So battling normal enemies is a little bit simpler than it was in Super Metroid, but it was so inconsequential in Super Metroid that being a little easier doesn't really seem like it matters. We've already seen that the boss battles involve a lot more strategy, more so than in Super Metroid.

Exactly.  Not to mention since Team Ninja is working on the game, you know the bosses are going to be very challenging as well in the hard difficulty.

Anyone that's b!tching about the auto lock on right now, better take a picture of themselves when the game comes out with a 15% completion on the hardest difficulty setting in less then 2 hours or else you have no right to complain about the game being too easy.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 30, 2010, 09:45:13 PM »
it doesn't make sense to exclude nunchuck and pointers, when the game moves in a 3D environment and you use the pointer during FPT mode. But as I already said, I'm sure the controls will work fine, the game will be fun to play and I will own it anyway.
I'm not making any judgements against the game itself until I play it, just pointing out design decisions that show cause for concern until we know more about it.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 30, 2010, 11:04:48 PM »
Sakamoto has this big stubbornness about simplicity, so he would not have the nunchuck anywhere, they way the game seems to be designed looks like it won't need it, so I see no problem with this.

I'm also not worried at all about a reduction in difficulty, I expect difficulty levels and maybe even some sort of super guide thing though.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 30, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »
I'm not worried about the controls, one of the things that you can usually count on in main Nintendo franchises is solid controls.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 30, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »
Was there a bunch of auto-aim going on?
I don't understand how the player was able to run and gun while aiming up and down unless you are running on a 2D plane or have auto aim take care of that for you.

Your discerning eyes don't rest; most people aren't going to see past the shiny graphics at first.

The auto-aim was mentioned a while back.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 30, 2010, 11:43:35 PM »
I was only looking at pics and videos, but staying away from storyline or gameplay detail/impressions since I already knew something about it was gonna not make the most sense.
I'm on a Metroid Other M non-info pact with myself. I already know I'm gonna buy it and probably enjoy it, so I will just continue to stay out of this thread till E3 and a proper reveal.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 31, 2010, 12:53:02 AM »
I'm not worried about the controls, one of the things that you can usually count on in main Nintendo franchises is solid controls.

Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast
Kirby's Air Ride
WiiSports Boxing

HAR HAR HAR
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 31, 2010, 01:05:11 AM »

Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast
Kirby's Air Ride
WiiSports Boxing

HAR HAR HAR

I said main Nintendo franchises, as in core games. Not spin offs or one game in a compilation pack.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 31, 2010, 01:17:28 AM »
Solid controls in execution, but not always in layout. There should always be control options since everyone has their preference. Personally, I find the Wiimote held sideways to be uncomfortable no matter the game; this is one reason why I don't much care for Super Paper Mario.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 31, 2010, 01:34:56 AM »
Samus moves like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 31, 2010, 03:20:07 AM »
Samus is lightning fast.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 31, 2010, 03:24:13 AM »
I think this game after watching the trailer has skyrocketed to my most anticipated game of the year.