Author Topic: I can't believe that Rogue Squadron series could join the Dark Side  (Read 10129 times)

Offline CaseyRyback

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Any of yall read that Factor 5 is bringing all the Rogue Squadron series to the Xbox. I mean its only a rumor but even so it will still probably affect sales of Rebel Strike. Also if Rogue Leader goes multi-platform where does this put Pilot-Wings in the development side of things since Factor 5 is making this game

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
RE: I can't believe that Rogue Squadron series could join the Dark Side
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 08:19:24 PM »
Could possibly provide a link for this? I call bull sh!t on this anway.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE:I can't believe that Rogue Squadron series could join the Dark Side
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 08:20:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Gibdo Master
Could possibly provide a link for this? I call bull sh!t on this anway.

Agreed.  This isn't even a believable rumor.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 08:25:25 PM »
its on ign's site, its the main headline. I call BS on it too because it says that the Star Wars DVD's are coming out next year when Lucas has always maintained the position that they may not even be released on DVD and that they would only come to DVD after episodes 1-3 are done.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 08:32:59 PM »
Well does it surprise me to find out this crap is being spewed from xbox.ign.com? HELL NO. Click here to read this garbage.

I remember back before Rogue Leader was released and Factor 5 was asked if they were going to port it to any other systems. Factor 5 responded by saying that it would be extremely difficult since the game was made solely with the GameCube's hardware in mind. I'm sure that's the case with Rebel Strike too so it ain't gonna happen. Besides Factor 5 are practically GameCube fan boys. They helped build the damn thing after all.  

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2003, 08:38:29 PM »
thats what my impressions were but it just sounded plausiable in a way, but even so I think this will backfire in IGN's face because you do not talk about porting something to another console when its just about to be released

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2003, 08:41:39 PM »
I liked the part were it said their source are never wrong....
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 08:50:12 PM »
i actually have heard that rumour before, but i dont remember where i heard it from. either way, its pretty funny how the article spells this out as a disaster for gamecube despite the fact that the games still wouldnt be released for a year. many games that were once xbox exclusive ended up on the other consoles, but thats irrelevant i guess.

i think the only thing that will affect sales of rebel strike will be mario kart, not this rumour.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 08:50:41 PM »
Xbox.ign.com is pretty infamous for making up slanderous rumors like this about the GameCube.  

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2003, 08:56:20 PM »
I like how they mention some rumor but do not say anything about how SEGA decided not to make Outrun 2 and Virtua Cop 3 for the Xbox.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2003, 10:19:37 PM »
I just read the article on IGN and I quickly went to PGC assuming that someone had started a thread on it.  The whole Rebel X part of the article just reaks of a blatant Nintendo bash.

"Does this spell the end of Star Wars game development on the GameCube? Not necessarily, but with support for Nintendo's console steadily declining we'd be surprised to hear of any new LucasArts games coming out for the system. Of course, this has little relevance to the next generation of consoles, but for the GameCube, Rebel Strike may be it."

It's the standard "Nintendo is doomed" routine that just doesn't hold any water anymore after the recent increase in sales.  Plus as far as I know Rogue Leader was a big hit so unless Rebel Strike completely bombs I don't see any reason for Lucasarts to ditch the Cube.  The games may be ported to the Xbox but I highly doubt the series would leave Nintendo outright.

And what's Lucas' beef with Star Wars on DVD?  I mean talk about an instant money maker.  Everyone already has Star Wars on VHS by now anyway so it's not like it will doom VHS sales.  I imagine Star Wars VHS sales are virtually dead by now anyway since most people have moved to DVD.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2003, 10:39:23 PM »
What I'm about to tell you about the Star Wars DVDs may frighten you so read with caution.

First of all George wants to do another Special Edition with the original trilogy. Because he is busy with the prequels though he won't  be able to do anything with them until sometime after he is done with Episode III. I suppose in an attempt to not screw fans over too much he's decided not to release them on DVDs until he's done with this second special edition. That way we won't have like 2 or 3 copies of the trilogy on DVD. Anyway most signs point to it being released by 2006 since that will be a year after Episode III will be released in theaters. Personally though I feel they won't be released till 2007 since that would be the 30th anniversary of A New Hope.

The real scary thing though is that George has sworn that he will never release the original non-special edition version of the Trilogy (or the Rough Cuts as he now likes to call them) in any form again. Now I'm actually a fan of the Special Editions but the idea of never seeing the original versions of the movies released again is like a crime against the entire universe or something. This is were the whole thing about the DVDs coming out next year comes in. There was a rumor like a couple weeks back on theforce.net that because of the success of the Indiana Jones DVDs Fox had pressured Lucas in releasing the OT on DVD early. The thing about it though is that the rumor wasn't clear about which version would be released. It kind of made it sound like the non-special edition versions would be released in 2004. If the rumors true I think it would be the best thing to do since George could then release the Ultimate Special Edition (or whatever they will be called) in 2006 or 2007.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2003, 11:10:10 PM »
Factor 5 like lowlevel coding, it'd be extremely difficult to port any of their games.

Offline Yuji Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2003, 11:21:14 PM »
true or not, by the time fall 2004 rolls around, these titles will be old news...

RS3 will probably be $20 by then as well.  will anyone even care about the x-box versions?
I'm not a doctor but I play one on t.v.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2003, 05:23:17 AM »
It wouldn't bother me, as long as they get an extremely sh!tty port, like GC users get every time.  And at least the GC will be the 1st to receive these games, instead of 3rd like normal.

By the way, xbox ign is complete garbage.  Remember the rating they gave DOA:XVB.  Plus, reading a story from when the waveboird came out, all the xbox editors said it sucked and were making fun of....the name!  Fanboy children they are.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2003, 05:29:05 AM »
Well it might explain why Microsoft are bundling Clone Wars with the Xbox for their christmas bundle. And after KOTORs success i think Microsoft would have lots of Star Wars fans on their userbase just waiting to eat up Rogue Squadron. I dont see how its technically possible though, and according to IGN Xbox Super Mario should be coming out on Xbox in 2004 remember.

*buys an Xbox for Rogue Squadron and Mario*

It's most likely all crap, extra hype for Xbox, as if it really needs it.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2003, 05:31:34 AM »
in the face of gcn $99 and a possible price drop of ps2, yeah it will need it

im still waiting for my 5 rare games in 2 years

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2003, 05:34:48 AM »
haha! if you read my journal, there's a kid in my class that called me an idiot becuase I said you could't get a Mario game on the xbox.  hehe!
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2003, 11:35:15 AM »
I find it interesting that many game sites were refusing to confirm (or even entertain the rumor) that splinter sell was going to be ported but rumors of GC games (that are not even out) being ported is all over these same game sites, for example Viewtiful Joe and RS3: Rebel Strike.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2003, 12:27:06 PM »

I find it interesting that many game sites were refusing to confirm (or even entertain the rumor) that splinter sell was going to be ported

Such sites are complete idiots.  Splinter Cell was announced for GameCube and PS2 from the beginning.  There was a short announcement that said that it was being delayed 6 months and there was a media blackout, but it was never cancelled, and nobody ever said that it wasn't coming out for GCN and PS2.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2003, 01:52:32 PM »
IGN is not the first site to report the original Star Wars trilogy as coming to DVD in 2004. The rumor has been circulatimg for over a month now and it is based on a catalog from a UK Columbia House-type of company owned by Universal which is advertising the Star Wars DVDs as being available in the Fall of 2004 - which would be the perfect way to get poeple hyped-up for the release of Episode 3 in May 2005. Several sites report that this rumor is more than likely true.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2003, 01:56:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Gibdo Master
What I'm about to tell you about the Star Wars DVDs may frighten you so read with caution.

First of all George wants to do another Special Edition with the original trilogy. Because he is busy with the prequels though he won't  be able to do anything with them until sometime after he is done with Episode III. I suppose in an attempt to not screw fans over too much he's decided not to release them on DVDs until he's done with this second special edition. That way we won't have like 2 or 3 copies of the trilogy on DVD. Anyway most signs point to it being released by 2006 since that will be a year after Episode III will be released in theaters. Personally though I feel they won't be released till 2007 since that would be the 30th anniversary of A New Hope.

The real scary thing though is that George has sworn that he will never release the original non-special edition version of the Trilogy (or the Rough Cuts as he now likes to call them) in any form again. Now I'm actually a fan of the Special Editions but the idea of never seeing the original versions of the movies released again is like a crime against the entire universe or something. This is were the whole thing about the DVDs coming out next year comes in. There was a rumor like a couple weeks back on theforce.net that because of the success of the Indiana Jones DVDs Fox had pressured Lucas in releasing the OT on DVD early. The thing about it though is that the rumor wasn't clear about which version would be released. It kind of made it sound like the non-special edition versions would be released in 2004. If the rumors true I think it would be the best thing to do since George could then release the Ultimate Special Edition (or whatever they will be called) in 2006 or 2007.

The "Ulimate Editions" are supposedly already completed - which is why they are now preparing the films for a possible Fall 2004 release. I think you might find  THIS SITE intersting. It is an on-line petition, which is being closely monitored by the folks at LucasFilm - to include the ORIGINAL theatrical versions of the films on the DVDs in addition to the new versions...
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2003, 09:27:14 PM »
"I think you might find THIS SITE intersting. It is an on-line petition, which is being closely monitored by the folks at LucasFilm - to include the ORIGINAL theatrical versions of the films on the DVDs in addition to the new versions..."

I've always been worried about the DVDs only having the special editions.  Personally I think that the special editions SUCK.  Hey let's show the Wampa!  Dramatic tension?  What's that?  Hey let's change all of Return of the Jedi's music so it sounds like crap!  What a STUPENDOUS idea!!  Let's have Greedo shoot first and complete ruin one of the most bad ass Han Solo moments ever!!

Having both versions available is something that I think every fan, even if they prefer the special editions, wants to have.  I wouldn't even care if they sold the original and special editions seperately.  You don't need a petition to see that fans want that.

Offline highenergyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2003, 03:54:42 AM »
What you guys are saying seems to be in concurrment with what I heard; we definitely won't be seeing the original trilogy on DVD until after the release of Episode III.

Regarding the possibility of Factor 5 porting the Rogue Squadron series to the X-box, this would be next to impossible considering Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike were both built solely from the ground up for the Gamecube hardware to exploit its many strengths (these aren't what you would call port friendly). Plus I don't see how the graphics could be improved upon seeing as how the Gamecube versions are already running with practically every effect imaginable enabled such as bumpmapping, realtime lighting, volumetric fog and (in the case of Rebel Strike) a new light scattering technology that makes for some awe-inspiring sunsets. X-box fans wouldn't gain any bragging rights here. All that these ports would prove is that the console is at the very least capable of running the game, but that would be like a step down if you ask me once Factor 5 reveals their next project which, as hard as it may be to believe is no doubt going to top Rebel Strike in the visual department.

This brings up another point. Factor 5 seems much too preoccupied with other projects to devote precious resources to begin developing for other consoles. In addition to a possible Pilot Wings sequel, they have already alluded to having other projects in the works for the Gamecube. You also have to remember they do more then just make games. They're specialty also seems to rest in hardware; they designed the Gamecube's sound chip (how much you want to bet they will be just as involved in Nintendo's next console?), adapted Pro Logic II for use in Gamecube games, and just recently, solved the issue of high quality video by implementing Divx compression technology.

Lastly, there is absolutely nothing keeping Factor 5 exclusive to Nintendo. For some unknown reason they choose to develop for them only, and have frequently expressed their unwavering satisfaction with the relations they currently enjoy with the Big N. If Factor 5 really wanted to go multiplatform they would have done so long ago.

Such strong contradictions cause me to question the validity of this latest rumor.    

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2003, 05:08:53 AM »
Only a rumour and the port job will probably suck.
www.warppipe.com
GameCube games - Playable online!