Author Topic: "If" Star Fox U is coming before Zelda, isn't about time for a trailer?  (Read 16784 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Or something? I would think that Zelda is Nov and I don't expect Star Fox to be released before summer but isn't kinda rare for a game of this "magnitude" to be kept so under raps. Am I missing something?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: "If" Star Fox U is coming before Zelda, isn't about time for a trailer?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 08:08:10 PM »
Star Fox isn't going to be a game or any magnitude. It will be like Captain Toad, Kirby, and Mario Maker- a cheaper game to pad out the lack of titles on Wii U.

We should be seeing a trailer in a month or two- or maybe they'll save it for E3.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 08:28:33 PM »
It's only January.  Nintendo has had no problems waiting until a few months before even revealing games.  Hell 2 years ago Mario & Luigi Dream Team was announced during an April Nintendo Direct and then released 3 months later in Japan and Europe and that game was a sequel to a game that sold over 5 million copies.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 09:50:27 PM »
Am I missing something?

The part where both games are delayed to 2016.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »

When was the last time a Top franchise debuted and released within 6months?

Star Fox is a cornerstone franchise that should never be treated like a budget title. LOVE HER AS IF ITS YOUR OWN BABY!!

TRAILER in the next direct, it better be.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 11:04:31 PM »
Lol, what year are you living?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 01:16:07 AM »

Star Fox is a cornerstone franchise that should never be treated like a budget title. LOVE HER AS IF ITS YOUR OWN BABY!!

I hear Star Fox U is the spiritual sequel to Wii Music with the depth of Urban Champion. GET HYPE!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 05:48:13 AM »

Star Fox is not a corner stone franchise. I wish it were, but I don't think it ever was, and certainly isn't now that they've gone nearly a decade without making one. At this point I think we should just be happy they're actually making one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 07:34:11 AM »

I hear Star Fox U is the spiritual sequel to Wii Music with the depth of Urban Champion. GET HYPE!

THAT IS IT! YOU CAN"T PLAY IT WHEN IT RELEASES I 2017.

I think it is a top tier franchise even if it didn't release on Wii. Fzero skipped the Wii and we are...er, um..never mind. Metroid skipped the N64 but was still considered a pillar. There have  been times that a franchise takes some time off to get its stuff together and Star Fox Assault wasn't all that awesome so it may have soured them to try again too soon. ANYWAY, now that there is a direct 2moro I expect STAR FOX to be shown in some major capacity.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
I'm not sure Metroid is really a cornerstone franchise either, though I think it has a lot more street cred than Star Fox. This has nothing to do with quality, as those are maybe two of my three favorite Nintendo series, but they're not things you can build a release schedule around. They're secondary franchise with a lot of niche appeal, specifically to the niche that is us.

J.P. Corbran

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 09:28:29 AM »
I'm not sure Metroid is really a cornerstone franchise either, though I think it has a lot more street cred than Star Fox. This has nothing to do with quality, as those are maybe two of my three favorite Nintendo series, but they're not things you can build a release schedule around. They're secondary franchise with a lot of niche appeal, specifically to the niche that is us.

Fair enough.
Top Tier:
Mario, Zelda, Smash, POKEMON, Fire Emblem and Kart (Kirby?)
2nd Tier:
Everything else?

It shames my gaming soul to think that Metroid, F-Zero and Star Fox are considered lower tier. I guess I'm showing my age. Star Fox was once "King of the Hill"

...I dreamed a dream, and now that dream is gone from me!

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 09:38:20 AM »
Animal Crossing is more top tier than Fire Emblem and Kirby. Those two are second tier and only because the last FE game sold well, otherwise it would have been niche city way behind Star Fox and Metroid.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:41:53 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »
The only things I'd call top tier in this regard without hesitation are Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, and Smash. Maybe Mario Kart. Fire Emblem might be in there in Japan, but not worldwide.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 10:55:13 AM »
I have to imagine we'll see a trailer of how awful the latest Star Fox is sometime during Wednesday's Direct. We already know it won't be playable till E3 (Nintendo's said as much), so a teaser trailer at the beginning or end of the latest Direct would make sense.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 12:14:22 PM »
It's way too early to be calling this Star Fox awful. We know next to nothing regarding how it's going to play, and, much more importantly, what studio's developing it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:16:00 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »
Facts have never stood in Broodwars way before and they're not going to now!

Keep being you, Broodwars. Because no one else wants to be.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 12:51:19 PM »
It's way too early to be calling this Star Fox awful. We know next to nothing regarding how it's going to play, and, much more importantly, what studio's developing it.

No, when Miyamoto's already talking about forced Gamepad motion control, combined with the series' history of terrible releases post-Star Fox 64, the safe money's on it being a bad game. I'm prepared for Nintendo to shatter those low expectations they've gone to such pains to set for themselves, but it's not looking hopeful so far.

As for Khushrenada, he's fortunate the forums have rules against me saying exactly what I'd like to say to him right now.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 01:01:18 PM »
Be creative. I was.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »
Be creative. I was.

Nah. You're not worth the effort.

I'm ready for a good Star Fox as much as anyone, and an episodic format is a good direction for a series whose traditional value proposition doesn't make sense in 2015 at $50. But I've seen Nintendo do this "No, really! We've learned how to make a good Star Fox!" song & dance twice before and got burned both times (Armada, Command). I'll believe Nintendo's figured it out this time when they actually prove it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 01:45:32 PM »
Wait, I've just come up with a brilliant idea for this game: Star Fox X Disaster: Day of Crisis.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 01:49:58 PM »
If Star Fox and F-Zero were top tier would Nintendo have just passed them off to third parties on the Gamecube?  While it worked out great for F-Zero the whole thing just reeked of "oh, the fans want those, too?  Eh, just find someone else to do them."

I'm sceptical of a new Star Fox for the same reason why I stopped paying attention to Sonic games.  Every Star Fox since 64 has been ass on a stick and that's even with Nintendo themselves making one.  This is one I would wait for the reviews on.  And with once great series you're always going to have a bunch of diehard fanboys that will praise it no matter how crappy it is (ie: EVERY new Sonic is a "return to form" in the eyes of the guys who still buy Sonic games) so you're not even sure whose opinion to trust.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 02:05:04 PM »
Be creative. I was.

Nah. You're not worth the effort.

To be honest, your posts haven't really bugged me that much of late like in the past. For whatever reason, the snap judgement on Star Fox irked me and felt like a return to the dismissive and negative attitude you seemed to post with more frequency before. Rather than just get into a "why so negative" conversation, I thought I'd do a quick burn on you instead although maybe it ended up closer to a scorched Earth.

Anyways, Star Fox. To be honest, I've still enjoyed all the Star Fox games. As much as Star Fox 64 always gets cited as the best and the model to copy, I've never been averse to trying to open up the series more. Finding the alternate routes through Lylat to get a better high score or be able to actually play a couple levels that you missed instead of the default route isn't that compelling to me. I'd rather play them all then skip a few every time I play through the game.

Star Fox Command suffered from repetition. I had a great time with it at first. However, intercepting a missile and flying through its jet stream to shoot it down for the 40th time is not as fun or entertaining like the first 5 times you did it. The more you played it, the more repetitious the enemies and levels and missions were. It needed more variety.

I appreciate Star Fox: Assault's desire to mix things up with free-roaming and fixed scrolling levels while giving different objectives on foot, land and air. Sure, the controls could have been better but they never detracted from my experience too much. In the case of ST:A, there are no alternate routes. You just progress along to different planets in accord with the story. However, the missions are longer than in ST64 or ST:C in order to beef up the adventure for a console. That said, it still doesn't take too long to beat the game and unless you really want to get gold medals on everything, there's little to keep coming back to the game.

Personally, my favorite air combat game is still Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 1 and 2 and I'd love if Star Fox were to follow in that direction. Alternate routes aren't a big draw for me so I don't mind a linear progression. Just make the levels fun with varied objectives. An episodic formula might be a good solution in that it is like taking alternate routes but they are all laid out in linear fashion. You just pick your episode and that's the route you'd take. I hope I'm making that thought clear.

Still, Star Fox is a series in which I've never been that bothered by the faults in it. At the same time, aside from Star Fox Adventures, I've never been compelled to spend a whole lot of time with the games in it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:58:28 PM by Khushrenada »

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 02:44:32 PM »
I never got the appeal to Star Fox honestly, I mean it was dated before it was released. The only one I liked was Adventures and everyone else hates that one for no good reason so don't trust my opinion on a new true to form whatever. I am only even looking at it because there is just not much else and at this point I might as well go all in because if it does bomb then it becomes a rare gem down the road.

On topic though, I don't see why this won't be mentioned in the next direct. It will be out this year there is no way it gets delayed unless Nintendo has officially given up on Wii U and so far that doesn't look to be the case anymore.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
I agree with everything Khush said.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
I agree with everything Khush said.

And why wouldn't you? The man is a genius, I tell you. An absolute genius.