Author Topic: Recommended games for an Android user?  (Read 7246 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Recommended games for an Android user?
« on: December 10, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »
Hey all. I'm not knowledgeable on mobile gaming, and I was looking for suggestions. I'm a fan of meaty experiences, but I also don't mind pick-up-and-play games either. I like RPGs, platformers, Zelda-likes, puzzle games, word games and racers primarily. My only dislike is games that have huge amounts of microtransactions in order to do well.

I have Crazy Taxi, most of the Sonic games like Sonic Jump, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, and Sonic 2; Rayman: Jungle Run, various word games that I really enjoy like word searches, Jumble, and Wordament; Virtua Tennis, Chu Chu Rocket, High School Story (which I'm surprisingly liking), and some other games.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended games for an Android user?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »
What Android device(s) do you have? Makes a difference.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »
What Android device(s) do you have? Makes a difference.

I have a Le Pan TC802A. It can't play stuff like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas or that Sonic running game due to being incompatible.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »
If your device can play it, get Hundreds. It's a simple but really cool puzzle game that can get very challenging. It's the only game on my phone that I've played for more than 5 minutes.

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:07:55 PM »
Not sure why those would be incompatible. I bet if you find the APK's for them they will work just fine. Anyway, Riptide GP (1 and 2) are both great. Never played Max Payne on Android but it's probably the last PC game I've played through.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 10:36:12 PM »
Bad Piggies is an amusing little trinket of sorts to have.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 11:46:54 PM »
Have you heard of Angry Birds?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 12:29:56 AM »
The best mobile game is and will always forever be Twitter.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 01:00:46 AM »
Not sure why those would be incompatible. I bet if you find the APK's for them they will work just fine. Anyway, Riptide GP (1 and 2) are both great. Never played Max Payne on Android but it's probably the last PC game I've played through.

I'm unfamiliar with an APK. I just know that on the Google Play shop, it says something along the lines of my device isn't compatible with this game. Maybe it's too weak for such intensive games?

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »
Amazon has a few games for free along with a few apps today.

Maybe something there will strike your fancy.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 11:57:20 PM »
Wolfram Alpha is highly recommended if you're taking any kind of math class. Damn, just noticed ElectroDroid Pro is free too - highly recommended if you're taking Physics or just like tinkering with electronics.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 12:38:59 PM »
Terra Battle by Mist Walker is a great game. (It a mixture of shogi and RPG elements)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 02:21:38 PM »
Dead Trigger is pretty good, you do need a device at most 3 years old with a tegra. I got it for ouya, but it wasn't the ouya version, it was the genral android version. I dont think there is an ouya version yet as far as i know.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:23:11 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 05:25:03 PM »
One game that I wish was on Android (and the devs have not expressed any interest to make an Android port) is Oceanhorn. It's that Zelda-like game with music by Nobuo Uematsu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlY9NMA2Lhc

Thanks for the recommendations so far, all!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 09:54:43 PM »
Ingress is a blast if you like AR games and geo-location based gameplay. I don't know if it is still invite only but I am willing to re-install it to send you an invite if it interests you.

Mahjong Artifacts is a really clever and fun take on solitaire Mahjong. Best I have ever played. I will eventually buy the sequel as well.

The Sea Empire games by Blue Plop are all great strategy games. The first two are free with minimal ads. Third is more resource intensive.

Star Colonies is also by Blue Plop and plays a lot like those classic 4X Strategy games. Only the demo is free but still a nice game.

Empire Defense 2 is a very neat tower defense game. It is entirely free though you can pay to get some things faster (but if you learn how to play right it isn't too hard to earn crystals). It also has a fun online competitive raiding/ranking system.

Alchemy is more of a time waster but fun for what it is: combine elements to make new elements and unlock all of the different combos you can.

The traditional board and card games by AI Factory are very well put together and can include local multiplayer.

250+ Solitaire Collection by Alexei is hands down the best solitaire collection game. Though the most recent update includes some form of micro transactions (I think you can buy new backgrounds and card designs) so I have not updated that yet.

Carcassonne is a digital version of the board game. It is how I learned of the game and is very fun. Has local multiplayer.

Castle Doombad is a fun and entertaining tower defense game. It is similar to the WiiWare Final Fantasy: My Life as a Dark Lord where you play the villain in his keep keeping out heroes.

All of the Cut The Rope games are fun, cute, and charming puzzle games.

The Cut the Rope team made another fun puzzler called Pudding Monsters. This one is more of a sliding puzzle to get all of the monsters combined without losing one. I prefer Cut the Rope but it is different enough to mention (not as difficult).

Where is My Water? Is also a fun puzzle game.

World of Goo is on phones now and if you have not played it, you simply must. Best Game On WiiWare. Period. (Was my GOTY when it released).

Heroes: A Grail Quest is a delightful Strategy RPG that feels similar to Ogre Battle.

I just got Star Traders RGP and it plays like those old DOS games where you travel space and explore, trade, and fight aliens. It is also a call-back to Sid Meyer's Pirates (but in SPACE!).

The Airport Mania games are a blast. They have you managing the incoming and outgoing planes in an airport. You can upgrade the terminals and supply pumps with money made from successful plane deployment.

Gem Miner is a poor-man's Steam World Dig. Intriguing but did not play long.

Greedy Spiders is another charming puzzle game where you try to save bugs from an approaching spider by cutting strands of the web.

Rebuild is a surprisingly engaging turn-based strategy game where you become the leader of a group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse. You send different team members out to explore and gather resources, handle surprise attacks, equip and level up team members, deal with moral survival dilemmas, and work on reclaiming territory in the city. There are a lot of ways to win including finding a cure, purging the city, running away to be a hermit, etc. Like I said, surprisingly engrossing. I would think of it as a sort of "Sim-Zombie-Apocalypse".

Starlink is a very fun, simple strategy game. You have constantly spawning units which you send to take other planets, boosting your production rate. You race against other players to take the most systems and steal theirs by force. Clever deployment of your armies with assistance from special powers helps you win.

Plants Vs Zombies 1 is a must play tower defense game. The sequel is fun and for the most part playable, but you can see how EA has tainted the series. I played the free version until an update ruined my save. Now I am holding out for a 3DS or console version that is a "complete package" instead of including micro transactions.

ANYWAYS

I have played others but these are the ones most worth checking out. Ask me about any of these and I would be happy to expand my thoughts. Not all of these are free. Be sure to get the Amazon App Store as they give you a free app of the day (sometimes garbage, read the reviews before you download them). It is how I got all of my paid apps (never paid a dime for a phone game/app). The ones I listed are ones I would pay for now that I have played them, though your tastes may vary.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:58:16 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast