Author Topic: New Zelda Info from Aonuma  (Read 9414 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: New Zelda Info from Aonuma
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2005, 08:45:36 AM »
One thing I really like about that Hylian voice acting with subtitles idea is that by going with a madeup language they don't need different voice actors for Japan and North America.  So no one can complain about poor voice acting as a result of translations and any mouth movements would fit regardless of the region.

For item switching I think Wind Waker's problem was that the sail was an item.  That didn't really make much sense.  Without the boat changing items shouldn't be so bad.  On the N64 for example you didn't have to constantly switch items just to move to different areas.  One thing I like about Zelda is you have to pause to switch items.  When I'm fighting some boss and need to switch items I want the game to pause the action.  I don't want to be fumbling through a menu while the boss kicks my ass.  Star Fox Adventures had real-time item selection.  It was an okay idea in theory but it sucked in execution because you HAD to select items in real-time.  So there were all these times where I would run away from an enemy so I could swap items without being killed.  The option of pausing to switch items has to remain.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:New Zelda Info from Aonuma
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2005, 09:04:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
For item switching I think Wind Waker's problem was that the sail was an item.  That didn't really make much sense.  Without the boat changing items shouldn't be so bad.  On the N64 for example you didn't have to constantly switch items just to move to different areas.  One thing I like about Zelda is you have to pause to switch items.  When I'm fighting some boss and need to switch items I want the game to pause the action.  I don't want to be fumbling through a menu while the boss kicks my ass.  Star Fox Adventures had real-time item selection.  It was an okay idea in theory but it sucked in execution because you HAD to select items in real-time.  So there were all these times where I would run away from an enemy so I could swap items without being killed.  The option of pausing to switch items has to remain.

Agreed...

In fact they probably could have incorporated the whole sail functions into the drift button ("R" I think).   Trigger click could even lock the sail so you wouldn't have to hold R the whole time.

Offline mukanjou

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2005, 04:28:27 PM »
The Hylian voice acting idea is cool, but in it's current incarnation Hylian is just a set of alternate characters for the Japanese language.  You can actually read all the signs in Wind Waker with a scan of the japanese instruction manual, a japanese dictionary, and a rudimentary knowledge of the language.
The Al Bheid language from Final Fantasy X comes to mind.  
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armor and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2005, 06:26:33 PM »
Just because a language can be translated into another doesn't mean that they sound the same...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2005, 09:10:38 PM »
Ah, I thought the Hylian was just a font swap for the text of your language version. Kinda like the intergalactic standard alphabet in the Commander Keen series.

Quite a few games use the "gibberish talk" option. Zanzarah was the last one I played, I think.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2005, 10:27:25 PM »
Animal Crossing has strangely accurate gibberish speak.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2005, 02:26:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Animal Crossing gibberish is actually every letter of the text that you're reading, spoken really quickly.

Like, "Hello there" is actually "age-ee-ell-ell-oh tee-age-ee-are-ee", blurted out in under a second.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2005, 11:51:50 PM »
Yeah, Animal Crossing worked better in Japanese because the characters represent sounds more directly.  English spellings are so jacked up, that it rarely sounds like they are saying the words you are looking at.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2005, 07:17:08 PM »
The new Nintendo power has some Zelda screens that show a d-pad with the word Item superimposed and small arrows above and below it pointing up and down respectively.  That's likely the improved inventory management.  Hit the D-pad, switch weapons (or maybe even weapon sets).  I'm sure it doesn't replace the pause to switch functionality, but rather complements it.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2005, 07:24:20 PM »
I just watched the Twilight Midna trailer again.... XD

There's TONS of lip movement shown, more than I recall ever seeing from the entire game of Wind Waker.  The little kid, the cat lady, Horse Girl, the ambiguously-gendered fellow... there's enough lip movement to reasonably match some sort of speech.

WHAT IS NINTENDO UP TO
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2005, 07:34:49 PM »
what trailer? the E3 trailer? why do I have the impression you are talking about a different one? O_o
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2005, 07:38:25 PM »
IT IS THE SAME TRAILER

WATCH AND BELIEVE
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline mukanjou

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2005, 04:57:32 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Ah, I thought the Hylian was just a font swap for the text of your language version.

At last I have achieved my lifelong dream of being mistaken for a Japanese person on the internet. :b
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armor and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."