Author Topic: Splatoon: Over A Million Splatted  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Splatoon: Over A Million Splatted
« on: June 24, 2015, 02:57:22 AM »

The Wii U shooter hits a major milestone in its opening month.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/40601/splatoon-over-a-million-splatted

Splatoon has cleared a million units sold worldwide in its opening month.

Nintendo of Japan tweeted out the announcement last night, thanking the players for their support of the game. A follow-up press release from Nintendo of America broke the sales down as follows:

• North America: More than 476k (136k in the first two days in the United States according to NPD)
  • Japan: More than 368k (approximately 310k on disc per Media Create figures through June 21)
  • Europe: More than 230k
  • Australia: 20k

The 1.086m units makes Splatoon the 10th Wii U game known to cross a million copies sold worldwide.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Splatoon: Over A Million Splatted
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:32:36 AM »
Well this guarantees a sequel in the future and perhaps a new franchise is formed.

If I was Nintendo I would launch Nintendo NX with this game being one of the launch or early releases. 

Offline hhgjf

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 10:46:29 AM »
Great news. Good for both Nintendo and the Splatoon online community. Hope they can maintain an active online player base as long as they can.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:22:18 AM »
Hopefully this leads to more New IP in the future, something I'd much rather have than the usual endless parade of Mario games.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »
Step yo game up, Australia.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 03:24:09 PM »
Hopefully this leads to more New IP in the future, something I'd much rather have than the usual endless parade of Mario games.

This could so easily have been a Mario game, too, with the Mario Sunshine similarities and the squids resembling Bloopers.  Maybe they realized that Mario is a little overexposed.

I didn't see the sales potential in the game.  Way to prove me wrong, Nintendo.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 12:04:04 AM »
now if only NPD could determine how many of those players play with the Aerospray RG...

Offline Taffypool

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 11:18:19 AM »

This could so easily have been a Mario game, too, with the Mario Sunshine similarities and the squids resembling Bloopers.  Maybe they realized that Mario is a little overexposed.

I didn't see the sales potential in the game.  Way to prove me wrong, Nintendo.

Not to toot my horn, but I basically called that in my pre-E3 prediction last year (scroll through comments), under the title Mario Paint(ball). Everything that Splatoon is, is pretty dead-on accurate to what I predicted, minus the Mario theme (and that damnable lack of Voice Chat!), complete with the avoidance of red paint.

I'll just assume my other predictions -- Kid Icarus 3D Platformer (by Retro?!), Startropics and Pokemon MMO -- are being held for a massive NX reveal.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »
I was unsure of how well this game would do, so it's nice to see it's selling well, and Nintendo have done a decent job promoting it. I hope to see a sequel as there's still more to be done with the idea.