Author Topic: Official DS Sales Thread  (Read 699549 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Official DS Sales Thread
« Reply #1050 on: January 04, 2006, 01:26:37 PM »
"Honestly, I don't buy it. GBAs are so prevailent its not that hard to find another friend or three with a gba that would like to play or will let you borrow. And, honestly, new and used GBAs are dirt cheap on eBay if you or your family needs them."

GBAs are easy to find but the cords aren't.  GBA owning friends typically didn't own them nor did they really want to buy them for one and later two games.  If Nintendo had the foresight to include the link cable with every GBA then connectivity would have done better.

I personally just found Crystal Chronicles to be a really crummy game, hardware requirements or not.  Nintendo totally got the raw deal on that one.  GBA support for a crappy game that's FF in name only.  I think the multiplayer nature of the game hurt it's appeal too.  Sure I have friends with GBAs and even cables but how often are they all at my house?  I only managed to play a four player game ONCE.  We all have different schedules and neither of us live within walking distance of each other.  It took careful planning to play that game and in the end we didn't find it all that great.  I've had other times with four GBA owners at my house but they don't bring their GBAs and especially not their cables unless I think to specifically tell them too.  It's a multiplayer focused game with no pick-and-play flexiblily.  What a stupid idea.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 04, 2006, 01:35:03 PM »
What RPG do you know that has any pick-and-play flexibility?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 04, 2006, 01:42:40 PM »
"What RPG do you know that has any pick-and-play flexibility?"

None but FF: CC isn't really an RPG.  It's more of a hack 'n' slash with some RPG elements.

The point is that a multiplayer game should be designed for pick up and play.  Most people don't have four gamers living in the same house.  The design of good multiplayer mode is that when people are over you can just load the game up on a whim and have some fun.  The link cable requirement killed that for FF: CC.  If friends are over for whatever reason and someone sees SSB or Mario Kart on the shelves and says "hey let's play" we can play right away.  With FF: CC in order to have that spontaneous play session at least three of the people visiting had to have the foresight to bring both a GBA AND link cables.  That's not going to happen too often.

I think Crystal Chronicles' design better fits online play.

• View Profile
RE:Official DS Sales Thread
« Reply #1053 on: January 04, 2006, 02:03:31 PM »
You're right about the online part, which is why I can't wait for the online-confirmed DS version.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 04, 2006, 03:33:55 PM »
Let's not get into the supposed high-price requirement for FF:CC.

Let's look at this:
FF:CC Game (new) $50.
4xGBA $240 (at $60 each).
4XCable $60 (at $25 each).
1 GCN $100
TV $150
$600 Total.

4xMario Kart DS $140 ($35 each)
4xDS $520 (at $130 each)
4xWireless Router $120 (at $30 each)
4xDSL for one year $720 (at $15/month)
$1,500 Total.

4xPerfect Dark Zero $200 (at $50 each)
4xXBox 360 $1,600 (at $400 each)
4xRouter $80 (at $20 each)
4xTV $600 (at $150 each)
$3,200 Total.

Man, multi-player gaming is expensive.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 04, 2006, 04:02:01 PM »
Well...yeah, you got me.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 04, 2006, 04:13:10 PM »
Need we pull out the penny arcade strip on the subject again?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 04, 2006, 06:14:57 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
Let's not get into the supposed high-price requirement for FF:CC.

Let's look at this:
FF:CC Game (new) $50.
4xGBA $240 (at $60 each).
4XCable $60 (at $25 each).
1 GCN $100
TV $150
$600 Total.

GBA cable for $25? where did you buy yours? mine cost $10
and this example is the only one that could cost 1 person all of that money.

4xMario Kart DS $140 ($35 each)
4xDS $520 (at $130 each)
4xWireless Router $120 (at $30 each)
$1,500 Total.

4xPerfect Dark Zero $200 (at $50 each)
4xXBox 360 $1,600 (at $400 each)
4xRouter $80 (at $20 each)
4xTV $600 (at $150 each)
$3,200 Total.

Man, multi-player gaming is expensive.

both of these you need to divide by 4 when it comes to cost, cause that four completely unrelated people at four very different locations(the benefit of the internet)

MK = $375 per person
PD0 = $800 per person

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 04, 2006, 06:17:57 PM »
Whoops, that GBA cable was figured at $15 (and the price really reflects that...)

If we're going to cut MKDS and PD0 into four, we should cut FF:CC into four ($150 each).
Sure, one person isn't going to buy all the stuff for MKDS or PD0, but one person doesn't have to buy all the stuff for FF:CC either.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 04, 2006, 06:32:58 PM »
they do if they want thier non-gaming(read: not hardcore) friends to come over and play.

Just like when you want someone to come over and play SSBM, do you expect them to buy their own controllers and bring them over(assuming they don't own a GC)?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 04, 2006, 06:57:11 PM »
You also have to take into account the Xbox Live prescription fee..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 04, 2006, 08:01:33 PM »
MKDS and PD0 can be played with less time investment because you don't need to invite people over, set things up, etc, you just choose connect and play with other people on the net.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 05, 2006, 01:08:52 AM »

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 05, 2006, 02:25:19 AM »
GOOD

I was really scared that only a million were sold in Europe last year .

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 05, 2006, 02:27:59 AM »
Nintendo DS in Japan = COMPLETELY SOLD OUT

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/owabi/index.html

Nintendo has issued a public apology regarding the issue on their website, and the next major shipment wont be in til the end of January. Could we see DS sales of 0 next week? PSP comeback??? XBOX 360's CHANCE TO SHINE?

Offline OptimusPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: January 05, 2006, 03:24:19 AM »
It's Nintendo owns fault... they launch Mario Kart and Animal Crossing ready for the same holiday period and have all those mass-market games like Nintendogs and Brain Training popping up the top-ten...again! Offcourse there's going to be demand for the hardware that plays the bloody thing...

And isn't this a record also? Selling out even if you're a year out? I mean... I can see why Nintendo is wanted by stockholders...jeezs, they're sitting on the golden eggs each holding a duck that can lay golden eggs! Sony can learn a thing or two...
"SOMETHING"

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 05, 2006, 04:32:43 AM »

they do if they want thier non-gaming(read: not hardcore) friends to come over and play.

Just like when you want someone to come over and play SSBM, do you expect them to buy their own controllers and bring them over(assuming they don't own a GC)?

But see, FF:CC wasn't *designed* for that.  I don't think *anyone* (Nintendo, Squre/Enix) really expects one person to go out and buy four GBAs and four Link Cables just to play the game multi-player.  The game was simply designed for people who have friends who have GBAs.  You don't?  Well, then the game isn't for you.  Just like Madden 06 isn't for me.  See how simple it is?

BTW, I work with a guy who wanted to go over to this other guy's house and play against him on his new XBox 360.  The guy who owns it told the guy who wanted to play that he'd have to buy a second controller.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 05, 2006, 05:26:33 AM »
Every person I knew at teh time had a GBA and me and all my friends wanted to play FFCC, I had  a Cube but only 1 other friend did, and I bought the game but we had a ahrd time finding link cables, so we only had 1 and we couldnt use it for 4 people. The game was a neat idea but very crappy exectution. And back in 2003 when the game came out GBAs werent as cheap as they are now nietehr were the SPs so the cost is higher than what was figured up a couple posts back.

It would have worked liek Ian said if the link cables were either included with the game or the system, cuz they sold out pretty fast due to limited supply. Also teh fact that so few games used te connectivity properly it was a bad investment. I truely tried to get the mostout of it I wanted to play ffcc and four swords with my freidns as did they but too many factors prevented that, yet we get together once a week to play mario party and smash bros duye to ease of play, since finding 4 gc controlers is so much easier than gba and link cables and such.

back to Ds slaughtering the PSP, this is nes actualy doesnt surprise me one bit I was telling people all along psp didnt have a a chance and now I see the proof. I just wisgh i could get my sony fanboy friends to give it a chance and get theorown so we can play each other online.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 05, 2006, 05:36:21 AM »
I do believe original GBAs were about $60 when FF:CC came out.
As far as link cables go, store.nintendo.com has *always* had 'em in stock.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 05, 2006, 06:13:20 AM »
yeah, they were $60... I remember buying a GBA-eReader bundle on sale for $75 like a week before CC came out.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 05, 2006, 06:40:26 AM »
I'm anti-social, so I played FF:CC by myself.  The game could have been better if there had been computer controlled allies the way Secret of Mana was.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 05, 2006, 09:07:07 AM »
The game was simply designed for people who have friends who have GBAs. You don't? Well, then the game isn't for you. Just like Madden 06 isn't for me. See how simple it is?

Well, see, there's a big difference there.. You don't like Madden, but the fact that you don't like it is because of the genre or the type of game it is. Someone may love FFCC and its gameplay, but they don't have GBA-owning friends, so they wouldn't be able to get the most out of it. There should never be such a tight restriction on a game..

Back to the DS sales - it SOLD OUT in Japan? Geez, Nintendo can never do anything right!  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 05, 2006, 09:43:05 AM »
13 million in little over a year is awesome, especially considering all the bad publicity the DS had at launch, I really expect this number to accelerate in the next few years.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 05, 2006, 10:19:35 AM »
Guys, enough all ready with the FF:CC talk. It was simply an interesting idea that was implemented quite awkwardly because of technological limitations.

I like to think of it as equivalent to the situation back in the 80's where they made a modem for the NES.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 05, 2006, 10:53:59 AM »
Haha, 13 million. Probably closing in on total 'Cube sales for the past five years, except that this one did it in one. Pretty ridiculous.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540