Author Topic: Memorex Universal Game Selector  (Read 4009 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Memorex Universal Game Selector
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:08:28 AM »
Nintendo once teased me... and I've never gotten over it.

Some time ago, when some revision of the DS (I think the DSi)  was being discussed, someone with Nintendo mentioned in some interview that they had designed a system with two card slots, but removed one to save space.

Ever since this, I've dreamed about the possibility of multiple card slots in my DS.  Usually, I have a case that carries a few titles - 1) Whatever flavor of the month I'm currently playing (Previously Mass Attack, Skylanders - Now, Mario 3D Land, Professor Layton).  2) I like to carry a puzzle game with me.  Pictocross, Tetris, etc.  Depending if I have three titles in the first category, I may not have one of these.  3) New Super Mario Bros.  Always.  Mario vs. Luigi mode is a *staple* of my DS time and I'll challenge any one of you and even put money down on my victory.  I wish Nintendo would just release a downloadable version of this.  Throw in some new levels and I'd pay $30 for a digital download, Nintendo.  Please, take my money.

Anyway, so I was in Best Buy tonight and I spotted something that seemed like the answer to my dreams - the Memorex Universal Game Selector.

Yes, apparently Memorex makes gaming accessories now.

Perhaps they shouldn't.

I was going to wait until I broke this in some more to comment on it, but I messed around with it a bit more tonight and it's pretty cut and dry.  The actual concept works great - plug it in to any DS system (it advertises DS Lite, DSi, DSiXL and 3DS - but it does work with the original DS as well).  Put in up to three cartridges, plug it into the system and you're good to go.  A small sliding switch allows you to swap between the three cartridges you've got loaded in the selector.

Again, it works great on all DS systems - although on the original DS and DS Lite, you do have to completely power down the DS before flipping the switch.  On the other DS systems, you can just swap it willy-nilly (although, of course, not while one of the games are actually loaded).

The adapter is pretty streamlined and for those of us with bigger hands, it actually helps give some grip to the system - although I'm sure some won't like the extra heft, it doesn't really add that much bulk to it.  It does not use any extra batteries or any other power source, so that's a plus - I can't imagine it puts any kind of a drain on the battery either.  The adapter was designed so that all ports, plugs and styli slots are accessible.  However - if you plan to use it with other accessories (one of the battery grips, the Circle Pad Pro, etc.) you're out of luck  it just wouldn't work.

Now, while it does sound pretty awesome - I must declare this not at all worth a purchase.  The adapter is just too loose - putting it in and taking it out of my carrying case pulls the adapter out - this is a huge no-no, as I often throw my 3DS in the case with a game on Standby/sleep mode.  Yanking the cartridge out is, of course, not acceptable.  Because the adapter was designed for all DS units, it doesn't really "hug" the system well - it merely slides in the cartridge slot and this is all that holds it.  Because of the hump at the top where it bends around to the back, and because of the ejection mechanism for DS cartridges, a simple bump will cause the entire thing to pop out of the system.  I could even see some vigorous motion gaming knocking the adapter out if you moved your hands just right.  Seriously, this is a huge flaw and I don't even see how this product made it out of testing.  Oddly enough, the adapter is actually a pretty tight fit in the original DS - the one that it doesn't really advertise it works with.

So, there you have it.  I wasted $20 so you don't have to.

Now, if you're a GBA SP fan, related, you might check out this:
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Boy-Advance-SP-Changer/dp/B00009IM2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321250766&sr=8-1

A similar attachment for the GBASP.  Aside from the fact that it makes the system frickin' huge, this actually works quite well.  Sadly, I got mine in 2008 for super-cheap from Amazon during a sale they were having.  2008 being long after I carried my GBA (let alone multiple GBA games) around with me.  It's a great item though.  It *is* limited to working on the GBASP and won't work on the original GBA, DS or DS Lite.

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Memorex Universal Game Selector
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:11:49 AM »
At E3, I talked to the guy who designed this, and mentioned how I couldn't use it since I have an extended battery pack, and asked if they would make something that did both, and he said that's something they were looking into for the next product iteration.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 01:15:10 AM »
At E3, I talked to the guy who designed this, and mentioned how I couldn't use it since I have an extended battery pack, and asked if they would make something that did both, and he said that's something they were looking into for the next product iteration.

...of course, before the Circle Pad Pro was announced. :D

Actually, that might be a great idea - simply because it'd likely be designed *for* the 3DS and they could actually make it *fit* the system.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 01:21:50 AM »
Keep in mind, this is the company that designed a Wii Wheel with pass-through slot for MotionPlus because they "had it on good authority" that Nintendo would be putting out games needing it.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 06:01:33 AM »
Oh man...I would have actually purchased this.  Thanks for the advance warning.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 04:34:41 PM »
I'm posting a review of this like, right now. I didn't like it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 04:42:14 PM »
I'm posting a review of this like, right now. I didn't like it.
Yeah, it really isn't a good product.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 06:26:57 PM »
Well, I would be posting the review right now but our software changed awhile back and now I don't know how to do a hardware review. Once I figure it out, you can read how disappointed I am in the thing.

Great concept, bad execution.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.