Author Topic: Help with IE  (Read 3939 times)

Offline BoB007

• Secret undercover Bob or something
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Help with IE
« on: December 27, 2003, 02:51:57 PM »
I dont know how to expain this problem but ill give it my best shot.   For the past couple days, everytime I load a site ( mostly PGC ) and the site finishes loading, it begins loading another site and leads me to a " The Page Cannot be Displayed " screen.  The web address is just listed as Http://.  It happens every single time i view PGC but seldom happens when i view other sites.  Any help please?  And please dont reply with " Get rid of IE " because this isnt technically my computer.  

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Help with IE
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 03:40:38 PM »
So, does this blank site start trying to load in the same window as the PGC one, or does it pop open a new window? It may just be an advert that's going spaz?

Offline BoB007

• View Profile
RE:Help with IE
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 03:59:07 PM »
Infernal, It loads in the same window, preventing me from viewing certain sites.  

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 05:54:29 PM »
Ahhh, i had this exact same problem.
I think
Whenever I would go to google (my problem was mainly with search engines), it would completely not load and just display a pic of the greek flag, or go to some site that says the site can't be loaded cause it don't exist.

The first thing I would do is to get SpyBot - Search and Destory. This is a nifty little program that not only rids spyware, but can also search the net finding all sites that display ads that have spyware.

If SpyBot don't fix it, then perhaps you have a corrupt 'hosts' file.
Search for it, and try delete it. It's a txt file.

Then again, ask Mario. He told me how to do it
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 08:36:34 PM »
*almost points to "Get Rid of IE" thread*

Yeah, sounds like spyware. Ad-aware is also something good to try, you can never be too certain.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 05:19:28 AM »
Well i just ran Spybot Search & Destroy and I can't believe how many things it picked up.  But all the stuff  in the red lettering has to do with BackWeb  lite or something.  I don't know what this is or if I should go ahead and try to fix it or what.  Do you think it will do any harm?
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline BoB007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 06:24:09 AM »
I ran the Spybot and picked up about 150 things.  I fixed them all but it's doing the same thing.  It's not a pop up.  It's everytime i load PGC and the site finishes loading.  It will automatically start loading again and bring me to  a " The page cannot be displayed " and the address says http://.  Wheres Grey Ninja .

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2003, 10:19:00 AM »
I have this exact same problem. I switched to Mozilla Firebird, and I get the same thing, however it does not redirect me to http://. like it does in IE. When I first had the problem, some "SearchITNow" ad would take over the ads on sites, yet now it only shows the "Page cannot be displayed screen on the add". The problem started to occur when my sister was on AIM and she clicked on a link in someones profile(it seems that this link could be found in everyones profile) that downloaded this Adult Links spyware that even after deleted, would spawn back every time the computer was turned on. I did find that I had the MS.Cache (not to sure if thats the full name) virus on my computer, which got rid of the Adult Links problem, however the problem with the http://. still occurs.  What is odd is that I only have the problem on PGC and the forums. I used to get by by right-clicking when the page loads and waiting until all of the ads on the site had finished loading.  My only suggestion is to switch to the Mozilla Firebird browser, like I did, as neither Ad-aware or Spybot has worked for me.
I pitty da fool who bought da Xbox. ~ Mr. T

Offline BoB007

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003, 10:27:34 AM »
Swimguy thats exactly what happend ... i clicked on someones link in their profile and this adult thing downloaded into IE. I thought i removed and deleted it.  Ever since then i have been having this problem.  What is Mozilla Firebird ? I dont want to replace IE because like i said this isnt my computer.  

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2003, 10:30:51 AM »
You can read all about Mozilla Firebird in this topic http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=18&threadid=6337
Other than that, I really don't know what else to do. I'm sorry

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2003, 12:45:01 PM »
In SpyBot, go to the 'tools' tab, and click on the 'Hosts file' from the menu that you see popped up.
Click on 'Add SpyBot S&D hosts list' and Spybot will load a list of sites that are known for causing bad behaviour (like installing spyware). It's a pretty big list.
Just try that and see if that helps.
If it doesn't, then you will have to get rid of your hosts.txt file. Just search for it in My COmputer, and if there are more than one hosts.txt files, delete them one by one, and then if that doesn't work, delete them all at once. See if that works.
I suggest doing the Spybot hosts thing first.

Offline TOY

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2003, 04:11:31 PM »
BoBOO7, another thing you can do is go to Norton.com, Click on the Check for security risks button half way down the page. Another page will open, click the go button and another page will open with the option to scan your computer for Viruses or Security leaks(Trojan Horses). They wont fix it for you but they will tell you if you have a problem. Also, with Spybot S&D make sure you go to the internet tab and update it first.

TOY  

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2003, 04:49:05 PM »
Erm....a bit off topic, but I'm looking for a good P2P program.  I heard kazaa lite was pretty safe, where can I get it?
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline BoB007

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2003, 05:54:50 PM »
I just did a scan on my computer.  41417 files were scanned and 10 files are infected with atleast one known virus.  Hopefully this is the problem and it can be fixed.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2003, 06:18:21 PM »
eeek!
fix it! FIX IT!

Offline BoB007

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2003, 06:20:06 AM »
I wanna thank everyone for helping me out with this.  It seems that when i clicked on a link in someones profile, it brought me to a site that auto downloaded something for IE, which i am guessing contained these viruses.  I have a Ms. cache virus and a trojan virus ( i think im not too sure).  I looked up one of them and its description said that the virus messes with IE.  It auto loades pages and when running IE, you receive numerous pop-ups even if you have a pop-up killer.  So i just want to warn everyone not to click on people's subprofiles that you dont know and if your IE seems to have these symptoms, i suggest running a virus check.

BTW Swimguy, i suggest running a virus check because (im not exactly the smartest person with computers) but i dont thing that using mozilla gets rid of the problem unless you get rid of it yourself.  Did you completely get rid of IE or are you just ignoring it?  

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2003, 10:07:27 AM »
Well I did delete the MS.Cache virus (its a crappy process, you can't just delete it as it will just spawn back. Read about it here), which solved the whole problem with the Adult Links and pop-ups taking over my screen, however, I still have the problem with ads not loading on the PGC home page or the forums. I didn't get rid of IE because my family still uses it, but I have found that Mozilla Firebird suits me better, so that is why I use it. I guess my IE just got corrupted, seeing how I no longer have any spyware or viruses on my computer.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2003, 10:38:00 AM »
KN: Kazaa Lite was bombed by the owners of the Kazaa network. I'd suggest using the eDonkey (or derivatives thereof like eMule, mldonkey, etc) instead. However, most P2P software comes with spyware in its backpack so be sure to scan after installing.

Offline BoB007

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2004, 01:14:23 PM »
KDR .... My hard-drive had to get erased and im now trying to get everything back .... What happend to Kazaa-Lite ?  

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2004, 01:20:39 PM »
K++, or more commonly known as KaZaA Lite was an illegal product.  The owners and makers of the KaZaA p2p network, Sharman Networks, decided to crack down on KaZaA Lite.  They threatened to file charges at the maker of K++, and he decided to shut it down.  It was removed from most websites.  Since K++ must have a new version made each time a new version of KaZaA is released, Sharman Networks can essentially "outdate" K++ to death.  There are still K++ servers running, but they are less frequent, and Sharman is shutting more and more down every day.  I have personally noticed that files are getting harder and harder for me (a K++ user) to download.

You can always get the (supposedly) spyware and adware free KaZaA+ from Sharman, but obviously, it's going to cost money.