Author Topic: Metroid Series Continuation  (Read 25344 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Series Continuation
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2009, 11:56:14 PM »
It's always a party at NWR!

But seriously, it was hyperbole. Get over it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
Re: Metroid Series Continuation
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2009, 11:32:29 PM »
Necro Beam acquired!

So, I've played some Mirror's Edge and it's got me thinking about Metroid...

What if a new, first-person Metroid game implemented some of the same jumping (namely wall jumping) mechanics from Mirror's Edge? I know ME's reception has been mixed, but if the controls were smoothed out, I think it could make for a freer and more nimble way to traverse whatever planet(s) Samus finds herself on next.

Or, suppose we take Greg's excellent "Future of Metroid" feature idea for a new 2D Metroid game and apply it to a 3D Prime-style title. Among other things, his idea had to do with switching to and from Samus' zero suit form in specified, sometimes stealthy, areas of the game.

Now, ignoring the likely problems of stealth in first person, imagine being able to switch between a nimble, wall-jumping, more fragile (HUD-less?) zero suit Samus in some areas, and then use the less agile, more powerful regular suit Samus in others. As long as the controls worked and the pacing was solid, I think it could be pretty interesting. With both suits, you'd be exploring, fighting, and puzzle-solving. With Zero Suit, the game would be more platform-y (kinda like Mirror's Edge), and new MotionPlus-based combat options could be available (laser whip, perhaps?). The Power/Varia suit Samus would be more focused on gun-based combat and feel overall closer to the Metroid Prime games.

So, without turning this into a Mirror's Edge bashing- / praising-fest, how about this mixture of new and old for first-person Metroid?
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...