Author Topic: Odama - No Bongo Support?  (Read 11101 times)

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Odama!
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2006, 02:09:30 PM »
Looks like a sweet one.  NP gave it a 8.5.  

Offline 1day

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 06:44:38 AM »
new MOVIES, http://cube.ign.com/articles/700/700358p1.html and preview too

Just 4 more days to go until release...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 07:05:06 AM »
Yay!  I cannot wait.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 07:39:02 AM »
saw vids, ill pass.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2006, 06:37:59 PM »
Blasphmey!  Get outta my thread!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2006, 04:30:12 AM »
Just saw it in stores. Anyone willing to give impressions?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2006, 04:33:45 AM »
It's out?!?  Gimme!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2006, 04:58:45 AM »
It's been out in Europe since last month... yet it's not getting an Aus release

I want this game pretty badly, i'll get it somehow, some day.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2006, 05:08:52 AM »
Mario, I'd gladly ship you a copy if you paid for it plus shipping.  I'm all for getting every single sale possible on such a qwirky sounding game in hopes that NoA brings us more.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2006, 05:50:41 AM »
Heh, thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't be able to play an NTSC game on my Cube, and I don't feel like buying a freeloader just for one game. I'm hoping a store around here who does imports will get some PAL ones in from Europe, plus I just checked the Nintendo Australia release list and it's actually there, though it's release date is "TBA"...

I took the plunge with Jungle Beat, I had no idea how it would play, and that was one of the most worthwhile game purchases of my life. I'm hoping for the same with Odama, I don't understand it but it sounds and looks awesome.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2006, 06:00:39 AM »
Ah.  I figured you'd already have a freeloader...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2006, 07:56:25 AM »
I don't feel like buying a freeloader just for one game.

The Freeloader is cheap, costs about as much as a memcard. Ever bought a memcard for a single game? Even if not, the FL might inspire you to look around and grab more games you would otherwise have missed (Kururin Squash!).

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2006, 08:48:49 AM »
It's not out yet in the US right?  

I'm picking this one up on Tuesday.  It looks like it be quite entertaining.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2006, 01:02:25 PM »
Damn. That reminds me, I have Kururin Squash and I still haven't played it.

Oh, I'm excited and on-topic for Odama.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
RE:Odama!
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2006, 09:50:49 AM »
I just got my copy of Odama and I must say that I am HOOKED!!  The concept sounds a little complicated, but once you wrap your head around it you are barking orders, completing tasks, and dealing with the careening Odama with ease!  I must have played it for like 5 hours straight yesterday.  The voice recognition can be a little hokey, so you have to concentrate on saying the commands the way the game wants you to, cause it's really easy to get caught up in the moment and start putting some emotion and urgency behind you commands and have your soldiers do absolutely nothing.

The things the soldiers say in their little text balloons are hilarious!  My only gripe is the time limit....this game really shouldn't have one....it should be all about when you run out of Odamas, then your game is over.  The time limit is a needless worry that should have been x'd out.  However, the time extender items are usually plentiful enough, so it's tolerable.

Overall, this is the reason why I play videogames....innovation.

Bring on Brain Age!!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2006, 06:40:54 AM »
So... Now that Odama has been out for awhile and (hopefully) everyone has played it through a few times, anyone have thoughts on it?

Before I get to my thoughts, I'd like to point out that I don't recall seeing this particular screenshot anywhere in the game...
http://www.planetgamecube.com/media.cfm?artid=1233&MedTID=1&medtndx=20739

Anywhoo, I must say I *love* this game.  It's so crazy, you get spread between trying to control your ball with the flippers and tilting the board in order to collect power ups and kill/capture enemy soliders while trying to avoid smashing your own army.  Meanwhile, you have to command your army to do various tasks in order to, eventually, get your total army to the other end of the board.  Without being smashed by your big balls.  Stephen Colbert would love this game.

Oh, and the crazy guy screaming at you in Japanese is awesome.  If only you could turn the captions off.

Anywhoo, there are a few complaints that I have.  The time limit was a major hurdle when I started... I didn't see at all how one was supposed to manage to do everything in such a limited amount of time... but, eventually, it just all clicked together and works.  Overall, I think I like the timelimit (adding another level of challange to the game) but the first few levels should have been a bit more relaxed on it.

Some levels (Well, two actually - Spider Temple and Karasuma Keep) seem to take forever... there's a lot of hitting and switching and hitting...  While the majority of the levels are well designed, I dread playing these two levels.

Speaking of levels, 11 1/2 levels, while it does seem like a lot (for a Pinball game) doesn't make for a long game.  Granted, there's tons of replay value, but I'd give my left testicle for more levels... Sadly, we'll likley never see Odama 2.

Finally, and not so much a "complaint", per say... but there's no Multi-Ball (or Tri-Ball, if you perfer).  While playing the game, I can't help but think how interesting it would be if you had three (or more?) Odamas out on the field causing mass carnage and destruction.  It'd make the game a bit harder, that's for sure.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2006, 01:03:30 PM »
Is Spider Temple the three-faced mountain level?  I got stuck at that one for awhile and that was my breaking point.   I sold the game a day or two after.  The  other levels before that were mostly frustrating, but I finished 'em.  It was great fun for a couple nights and then was tiresome.  But overall I'm really glad I gave the game a try.  I may pick it up again if it ever see it for less than $20.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2006, 01:14:47 PM »
Yeah, that would be the Spider Temple.  Karasuma Keep had four sides, but was less irritating.  While I really enjoyed the other levels, those two were tiedious.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2006, 03:04:46 PM »
Yeah what are you supposed to on the Spider Temple?  I thought after gettting the two 'relics' or whatever they were that brought up the two walls that I was supposed to bring the bell to the top.  But man I could never do that.  Igot close, but my morale was always low and then my guys wouldn't listen to me.  Then it was a hassle to get more morale.  Maybe there was a trick, but I gave up after that.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2006, 03:15:13 PM »

Once you get the two relics up, they become bumper walls that you can control with your flippers (hold down a flipper and a wall will pop up).  Eventually, you have to use these walls to make your Odama circle around the temple to "purify" it.  However, apparently purifing the temple means releasing a Giant Spider Monster that you then need to defeat (well, actually, you can just "push forward", but it'd be easier to defeat him first.)

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2006, 06:48:05 PM »
OH damn.  Had no idea about holding down that flipper.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2006, 12:20:49 PM »
You know I kind of gave up on this game because there are so many so-so reviews for it, but Nintendo Power seems to absolutely love it...seems like maybe it's a game for certain tastes.  I might have to give it a try sometime...
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2006, 12:55:47 PM »
I am all over this game when the price drops to $20.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2006, 07:27:04 PM »
It really is a great game - but, yeah, there's tons of people who just won't get it/won't like it.