Author Topic: PN03, am I the only one?  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Taramoor

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
PN03, am I the only one?
« on: September 15, 2003, 07:42:17 PM »
I love this game.  The mechanics of it, the pure endless style that oozes from it.

From the sound of things people went in expecting a standard cookie-cutter 3rd person shooter title and came out with something closer to Ikaruga or Gunvalkyrie.  It's all about memorization, learn the enemy's pattern and capitalize on its weaknesses.  Dodge and counter attack.  The randomly generated trial missions also get cooler as you progress through the various missions since they include rooms you've encountered throughout the game.

I've currently logged about ten hours, trying to unlock everything and power my Aegis suits up all the way.

So, now to the crux of the topic.  Am I the only one out there who loves this game?
Bah.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: PN03, am I the only one?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 08:30:07 PM »
Well, i want to love it, except i dont quite have the cash for it at the moment. This game interests me, it sounds like a game i would like. There's just too many other games that i have to buy.

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:PN03, am I the only one?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 10:03:42 PM »
I want to play this game too, but i'm saving up for Mario Kart and some other games and P.N. 03 ends up getting the shaft.

Offline ghostVi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 11:59:49 PM »
I'm getting this one, it's the next title to put in my games lib... I'll let you know how I like it once i get it (have to wait for a shipment from US...).

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 03:42:00 AM »
Taramoor--You're not the only one. I lost about half my weekend to PN03.

Having finally played it myself for a substantial amount of time, I can see how the old school game comparisons become valid. I think many had the impression that this would be a standard third person shooter ala Tomb Raider or Devil May Cry. This game can't be further from that.

The restraints put on you from the Resident Evil controls is both the bane and treasure of this game. Gamers have despised the RE controls for years, which has factored into some of the really bad reviews of this game. On the other hand, the control structures the gameplay into something that there really does seem old school. You must memorize enemy movements to dodge attacks and also rack up combos (where the big points are). And since you have to buy your continues and power ups with those points, the game further forces you to refine your play. You need to master the gameplay so you can use those points on power ups rather than continues.

The game obviously has an unpolished look and can become monotonous, but I can't fault the developers for that. I remember hearing that the games in the Capcom 5 (except RE 4) were to be produced with low budgets in mind so that the developers have a little more room to experiment. There are still some things that could have been fleshed out, but overall I find the experince satisfying.

I hope that we do get a sequel that is more polished and features more variations in locale and more moves for Vanessa. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening soon if not ever. Reviewers have slammed the game really bad in the US (reviews in Europe and Japan seem to support more of my view). Again, I think reviewers were expecting something bigger in scope with ultra polish and Zelda-Tomb Raider-DMC kind of adventure. In reality the game is a small scale project with an emphasis on conceptual gameplay (much like the new shooters coming out of Japan today such as Ikaruga or the shooters that Crave make).

I didn't think the game would do well as something to attract the casual gamers, but I do have high hopes from the more dedicated GameCube users. However, scores of 5s are going to scare people away. However, don't be afraid guys--rent it at least.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 07:11:23 AM »
Well, shoot'em'ups rarely have much playtime and are pretty popular in Japan (look at some freeware shmup site, 90% of the games are japanese!). P.N.03 fits into the cathegory of a shoot'em'up. I think if they ever make a sequel it should have multiplayer, this game just seems predestined for that!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 11:35:38 AM »
Taramoor:  I'm with ya all the way.  I've had the game since the 8th (I love how Capcom ships direct preorders before shipping to retailers) and I love it.

The game could use more work in various areas, but the "old-school" core of it is well enough, when you really understand how the game is intended to be played.

Hot scifi A$$.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 11:50:09 AM »
Poo to all of ye.  EGM convinced me not to get the game (since it was on the edge anyway), but now it's back on my "buy if I have enough money" list.  Which is becoming more likely, since I have a job now.  POOP.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 12:17:16 PM »
There's only one Taramoor I know that likes P.N.03... What the hell are you doing here? Get your ass back to PA forums!

In all seriousness, I like this game. I don't love it, though. Just like it.  

Offline Taramoor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 06:36:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Matrix
There's only one Taramoor I know that likes P.N.03... What the hell are you doing here? Get your ass back to PA forums!

In all seriousness, I like this game. I don't love it, though. Just like it.

I haunt many forums, this is merely one of them.  Besides, I need to spread the word about this game and tell people they at least need to rent it before they listen to EGM or IGN and dismiss the game.
Bah.

Offline Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 07:12:33 PM »
The Gamespy Review is probably the one to spread around, then. It's fair to the game.

http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/september03/pn03gcn/

I'm going to have to agree with them. This game is far to easily confused as a 3D action title, rather then a shooter.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 02:11:47 PM »
Yes, I'm sorry for bumping the topic, but I must say, after owning the game for a day, I love it. The combo system, the action, its a solid package. Its too bad I live in a small-over populated- town with people who absolutley suck at video games.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 03:30:41 PM »
DAISY LOVES THIS GAME.

The dodging system is great, no?  I use the 2nd control scheme.  I think pressing Y and X to function as sidesteps is much faster than L and R.  Narrowly dodging incoming fire while trying to keep your combos chained is exciting, and it's a second-to-second occurrance.

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 04:47:51 PM »
From what I've seen, PN03 seems like a like-it or hate-it game, as you will either love or hate the mechanics and gameplay style.
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 06:25:02 AM »
Thats pretty much it =/
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2004, 06:26:19 AM »
I've been thinking about getting this game for sometime.  I've seen it at Wal-Mart for like twenty dollars, but always hesitated about whether or not to buy it.  Could one of y'all give me some insight.  I mean, I think it looks good, but the level design and whatnot seems kinda....iffy.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2004, 08:45:01 AM »
PN.03 is a great game (though not perfect), it's not too hard and not too easy.  It's not hard to get into either.  For twenty dollars you can't really lose, but if you are really hesitant, you can try renting (lol can you even rent GCN games) or you can try and get it used, which will probably set you backa round fifteen dollars.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2004, 08:37:36 PM »
The game is rather short (4 hours excluding replays) but unless you play on easy you're going to replay quite a lot. Playing on easy is too easy, tryormal. The annoying thing about normal is that the first level is the longest level in the game and it took me some tries to get through it on normal (in fact after a few tries I settled for easy, don't do that!) as you have no way to upgrade beforehand or get used to the gameplay. Later on the trial missions help with upgrading.

Offline Oni

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2004, 12:41:20 PM »
You're NOT the only one. I just got this game and love it to death. I've lost all my time to beating it. I'm on easy, but it's still taking me forever, but im working on it. I've been wondering how long it's been out, and thinking about requesting a sequal from Capcom. If you wanna help me with this let me know, and just respond to this post.
Chase

Offline notic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2004, 02:52:28 PM »
I don't have the game. Why is it called P.N. 03?
Check one two~Who got more style than son do

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 03:40:51 PM »
It was originally called "Product Number 03" before the official name change.  You'll understand who/what "P.N.03" is if you finish the game.  Not a lot of story to be told in the game, but it's got nice little twist(s) typical of Shinji Mikami (yes, Resident Evil dude made this game).