Author Topic: Rhythm Thief  (Read 6360 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Rhythm Thief
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
Has anyone else played the demo yet?

When I first read about this game back in January (I think), I was quite interested in it and it's been the top 3rd party game I'd want to pick up for the 3DS this year.

Anyways, I've been keeping my optimism cautiously guarded on this title since there is a difference between what a game could be and what it actually is and it is Sega and they haven't had a lot of major success lately.

But after playing the demo, I'm letting my expectations go wild. Really, really, really liked it. Loved the music and style and I was smiling away playing it which is always a good sign.

To me, it felt like a blend of Sonic the Hedgehog and Feel the Magic in that the main character has that sort of Sonic attitude and there is a ranking score after each level while each mission felt a bit like the random whackiness of Feel the Magic and it's different mini-game sort of challenges. I'm not sure if that makes sense but it does in my head.

The one caveat I still have is that there is a potential for it to be repetative. It seems like there is clear breakdown of how the levels will be staged but I'm hoping that there is more variety. That said, there is a lot of potential just with the few tasks shown so far.

So, Rhythm Thief Demo, I recommend you download and try it out.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline LOZman

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Rhythm Thief
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:21:13 PM »
Until the demo I haven't really given this game much consideration. But I usually play any new demos on the eshop so I decided to give it a try. Let me just say I am glad that I did! After giving this demo more time than any other currently available on the 3DS, I can confidently say that this game game is going to be excellent. The thing that really struck me about the game is that it is very charming. The only fault I see is the repetitiveness that Khushrenada mentioned.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:51:21 PM »
I suck at rhythm games, so I won't be buying it even if I had any money. I did enjoy the demo, specially the statue and fighting minigames.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 03:17:49 AM »
It's been out in Europe for a while, so I've been dipping into it every so often and really sank my teeth into it at the weekend. I'm saving detailed impressions for another venue. The short version is, it's a tonne of fun, with a really catchy, diverse soundtrack, a good variety of different rhythm games and minor comparisons to Professor Layton (emphasis on the word 'minor'.)
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
I'm still waiting for my NA copy to arrive. "Backordered" at Toys R Us despite my preorder... GAH!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »
Good to hear that there is a variety of gameplay. As far as the soundtrack goes, I loved the music of the demo and if the game was that whole style, I'd be more than happy with that.

I thought the game came out later this month like the 10th or 17th.

And, off-topic, what is with the huge pre-order push these days? In flyers, stores are already advertising to pre-order The Avengers movie which doesn't come out until Sept. Amazon is giving free movie tickets if you pre-order Ted. What is the freaking point? It's not like they're only going to sell a limited amount. This isn't a new condo building where space is limited.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:59:32 PM »
It gives companies a better idea of what sales will be like, meaning they can order a more precise amount of inventory which cuts down on carrying costs.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 02:20:32 AM »
Funny, just finished playing the demo, and opened up the forums to start a thread titled "Rhythm Thief:  Really Really Really Great, or Just Really Great?"  Thanks for beating me to the punch Khushrenada.

I also thought it was the 10th.  Unless, Kairon is actually posting from the near future!  Quick, have you seen the Prime Minister?   How can we stop Evil Layton?

Anyways, I've been keeping my optimism cautiously guarded on this title since there is a difference between what a game could be and what it actually is and it is Sega and they haven't had a lot of major success lately.

To me, it felt like a blend of Sonic the Hedgehog and Feel the Magic in that the main character has that sort of Sonic attitude and there is a ranking score after each level while each mission felt a bit like the random whackiness of Feel the Magic and it's different mini-game sort of challenges. I'm not sure if that makes sense but it does in my head.

As a recovering fan of the Sega Dreamcast, the demo is reminding me a lot more of Jet Grind Radio, with some of its gameplay (dancing=spraypoint) and its art direction/character design (those bad guys look like and animate like the cops in JGR).   The music is also VERY JGR.   And more than anything, this demo (and probably the game in the future) will make me sad and make me pine for Sega during the Dreamcast era, when the games they made were just so creative and innovative and fun, before they Yakuza-ed up.  Oh Dreamcast.   
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 11:03:12 PM »
It gives companies a better idea of what sales will be like, meaning they can order a more precise amount of inventory which cuts down on carrying costs.

Additionally, retailers want to sell as many units as possible in the release window as it generally means max margin so they will hype up an upcoming release and maybe even throw in some cheap incentive. If they can get you in the store as well, all the better.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:43:05 PM »
I also thought it was the 10th.  Unless, Kairon is actually posting from the near future!  Quick, have you seen the Prime Minister?   How can we stop Evil Layton?

I...I was confused! T-T I'm getting Theatrythm from Toys R Us, and I'm getting Rhythm Thief from Amazon, which just shipped today!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 08:51:39 PM »
Methinks he doth protest too much.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »
I just ordered this today.  I'm not usually one to spring for rhythm games but it's been such a drought of 3DS games and this one looked like the most fun to me (never been a fan of Final Fantasy games, so Theatrhythm did not pique my interest).  The dancing part of the demo was...not fun at all, but the other two sections were great!  I especially liked the museum escape sequence, with the hiding behind statues.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 07:15:01 AM »
Pullin' for Sega here, hope they get a nice ROI on this project.
I do wish the game were 10 bucks cheaper and downloadable tho.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 08:33:57 AM »
I haven't played the demo yet, but I was intrigued enough by Greg's discussion of the game in an episode of RFN earlier this year.  I ordered it from Amazon earlier this week and am patiently awaiting it's arrival.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 10:13:37 AM »
Mines Sitting on my doorstep waiting for me at home.  It came less than an hour after I left for work.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »
Pullin' for Sega here, hope they get a nice ROI on this project.
I do wish the game were 10 bucks cheaper and downloadable tho.

Just wait about 3-4 months and Sega will slash the price on it like every other game they make. Seriously, it's probably part of the reason why I've bought as many Sonic games as I have. It's also probably why Sega is in finacial difficulty these days but it seems to me that if you wait a few months, their games always get discounted down to 20 dollars.

Mines Sitting on my doorstep waiting for me at home.  It came less than an hour after I left for work.

Hmmm. Or I could just beat Ceric home from work and get it for free. So many options.

Offline Disco Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 09:11:24 PM »
So my copy came in the mail today and I've played through the first two chapters of the game.  I kind of love it so far.  It's a little early for my feelings to be completely solidified, but it's really just a joy to play.  The artwork is beautiful, the story charming, the voicework well-done, and the gameplay (mostly) tons of fun!  I say mostly, because, like all rhythm games some of the rhythm sections just fall completely flat.  There's a little side-game where you have to be a cook in a restaurant next to Notre Dame and I found it to be absolutely horrible.  However, when this game is on, and it often is, it's simply a blast!

Offline Disco Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 09:06:55 AM »
Well, I've played this game a lot more (I'm up to Chapter 6), and my opinion has changed a little.  What was wonderful for the first 4-5 hours has soured a bit.  The game basically grinds to a halt whenever there's a rhythm game involving gyroscopic controls, because they are terrible.  Otherwise, I stand by my opinion that the story is great and the animation remains beautiful.

I wouldn't have that much of an issue with the worst of the rhythm sections if they were skippable, but since they are intrinsically tied in with the story this is not the case.  I've gotten to this absolutely terrible game involving hang-glider combat and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep playing the game I hate it so much.