Author Topic: Physical Games vs. Digital Games: The Face-Off  (Read 21334 times)

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
Re: Physical Games vs. Digital Games: The Face-Off
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »
It's not that hard to find a working NES, and those things were notoriously flimsy. I don't see why everyone's assuming current hardware won't work in 30 years if cared for properly. I'm not sure about Bluray, but I know there's a good chance DVDs will have degraded significantly in that time span as well.

Most DVD manufacturers claim a life for DVD-Roms at 100 years.  The DVDs that are purchased for systems are all pressed and then a plastic layer is added to protect the data.  It is very unlikely that normal use will result in scratches that will will reach the data layer.  If the data layer is exposed to the environment, then yes, data loss can occur.

I think the think with the NES is it was such a simple piece of hardware and it's very easy to fix the issues surrounding it.  With all the parts in the Wii U, it seems like there are alot more failure points and it will probably be difficult to replace. 

Plus, my thinking is that if I have a physical copy of a disc, I will probably be able to find a working Wii U in the future and be able to utilize the disc on that.  If I have a download, it is unlikely that Wii U's will be able to connect to the eshop, meaning I can't experience that game on a Wii U in the future.  Nintendo may get their act together and use the account system to access the games on future systems, and that will be good enough for most people.  But to use the gamepad and controllers that you originally experienced the original game with will not be possible.   

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
If you keep your Wii U with all your games downloaded to it it won't matter if you can't connect to the eShop, they'll all still be there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2014, 06:54:19 PM »
If you keep your Wii U with all your games downloaded to it it won't matter if you can't connect to the eShop, they'll all still be there.

Yes, but even if you take good care of consoles, they could still fail.  I've had a gamecube and a wii fail, yet my SNES works like a champ.  Modern consoles have a fail rate (though small) that is unrelated to care of the console.  Those two consoles are viewed as "gold standard" for modern consoles and they still failed.  With physical I just find a new console.  With download, you're pretty much screwed.  Maybe it's a small chance and I'm paranoid, but I still don't like it. 

Offline gamehiker

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2014, 10:00:28 AM »
One thing that almost never gets brought up in these discussions?

Bandwidth bandwidth bandwidth.

In at least the States, like it or not, we live with crippling internet limitations. My previous ISP limited downloads to a point we had to set Netflix to lower quality to prevent from getting charged for going over. Downloading a 4GB game or bigger on top of that? Forget about it. Nevermind how long it takes to download. For most, that's going to be leaving your console downloading overnight while crippling everyone else's internet speed. Why should I do that when I can stroll down to the store and in thirty minutes have the game I want?

Digital gaming is touted as convenient, but it's really not. Our internet infrastructure hasn't caught up to digital media and major ISPs not only like it that way, but are intent on making it worse. So I'll take my physical media where I can, thank you. It's not because of Nintendo's draconian digital policies that I shy away from buying games digitally, but because my ISP has a noose around my neck just waiting to pull.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2014, 10:51:14 AM »
That kind of stuff varies wildly depending on where you are. Some places necessitate physical media like you're saying, but my internet is uncapped and fast enough to allow downloading games as well as other things.

J.P. Corbran

Offline gamehiker

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »
When I lived in town, I had to deal with data caps. Out in the country, it's a bit slower, but I can download as much as I like. It's a little backwards, but it still spells a significant problem on a widespread basis. Not everyone is affected by it, but it's just one of those little things that might keep physical media around a little longer than we all expect it to.

Offline nilcam

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2014, 11:45:19 AM »
I see the benefits of both sides of the argument. I tend to go digital if it's a game I'm sure I'll want permanently or cannot find a physical copy. I tend to go physical if it's a cartridge. As a Dreamcast owner, I've learned to fear disc rot.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2014, 12:22:10 PM »
It's official, not only can you get 10% back when buying digital on Wii U (deluxe digital promotion if you have the black Wii U), but this week EVERYONE can get 20% off all digital games one 3DS and Wii U via the Best Buy eShop card sale. Get a $50 card for $40 (can anyone say Donkey Kong Country). Get a $35 for $28 and get a $20 for $16

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&fs=saas&saas=saas&keys=keys&st=eShop

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2014, 09:42:18 PM »
But you can buy Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze at Toys R Us and get up to 40% off on up to three games. Including preordering Watch Dogs for $36.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=022314wiigame&origkw=022314wiigame&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2014, 02:39:23 AM »
I love collecting, so it's physical for me, especially on Nintendo systems unless there is no alternative.
Nothing like having a shelf full of games, being able to ogle the artwork, boxes, and manuals.  ;D
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2014, 04:59:24 AM »
Having a shelf full of games is nice to look at, but it's a massive pain in the ass if you ever want to move them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2014, 08:59:35 AM »
Having a bunch of digital games is nice to play, but it's a massive disappointment if you ever want to roll around naked in a giant pile of them.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »
Having a shelf full of games is nice to look at, but it's a massive pain in the ass if you ever want to move them.

Oh, definitely! I'm not looking forward to doing that in the future!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2014, 08:20:05 PM »
Having a bunch of digital games is nice to play, but it's a massive disappointment if you ever want to roll around naked in a giant pile of them.

Please never sell your games.  Maybe I should stop buying used.  I'm off to disinfect all of my games now. 

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »

/thread
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »

Please never sell your games.

It makes them worth more.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2014, 11:43:24 PM »
God dang it now I have to rearrange my signature.