Author Topic: Oklahoma is so hot that street lamps are melting  (Read 16560 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Oklahoma is so hot that street lamps are melting
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »
It's in the 50s right now around SF. And that is pretty typical.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 04:23:09 PM »
Oklahoma has gotten cooler in the last 18 years.

The Official hottest temperature ever recorded was in Tipton Oklahoma on 27 June 1994 at 120 degrees F.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 05:27:41 PM »
A much more humane alternative would be to force the Canadians onto reservations. Its not like they need all that land anyway, right? Their country is geographically almost as large as ours, but they have only like 1/10th the population.

Chozo Ghost
  • I make horribly offensive analogies
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2012, 06:13:07 PM »
I was just joking... geez.

Oklahoma has gotten cooler in the last 18 years.

The Official hottest temperature ever recorded was in Tipton Oklahoma on 27 June 1994 at 120 degrees F.

To be fair August has only just begun. It can still get that hot (or hotter)... hopefully it won't though.
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2012, 07:48:22 PM »
you could always settle in the uninhabited parts of Canada if you hate us Canadians. Only problem is that it's uninhabited because it's too cold even for us XD Either that or you could clear out a bunch of forest in the warm areas and piss off a bunch of environmentalist yuppies

but if you can stand to tolerate us you'll find that in summer the temperature is usually around the low 80s and high 70s in the summer at least where i live (I even did the conversion for you!) although you'll probably go crazy due to the clean streets and low crime.

Typical rude Canadian response. This is exactly what I'm talking about.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »
I don't know where Lithium lives, but here in Toronto the summer started earlier than usual and the temperature has reached the 100s (with or without humidity).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2012, 08:51:37 PM »
Great, now you're on my list too, Caliban.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2012, 08:53:22 PM »
I was nice LOL.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »
Lithium was very nice too, in fact he was nice enough to convert the crazy Celsius/Centigrade temperature to Fahrenheit for me (since as an American, I'm too stupid to do the ~[(9/5)+32] conversion). You see, I actually don't hold anything against Canada or Canadians at all (other than their floppy heads and beady eyes), and this is all just for fun.

Having said that, if your Mii wasn't on my Wii, you'd be dead to me too.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »
Hahahahahahaha

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 05:46:28 AM »
If only they could get rid of all the Canadians it would be a nice place.

A much more humane alternative would be to force the Canadians onto reservations. Its not like they need all that land anyway, right? Their country is geographically almost as large as ours, but they have only like 1/10th the population.
Wouldn't that just be declare everywhere a Canadian lives as a reservation, annex the rest, and call it a day?

Seriously enough its been hot here in Tennessee and its always humid.  Which Ironically I don't mind.  Dry air is hard for me to breath in.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 12:26:54 AM »
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 12:32:52 AM »
You win... for now.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 05:48:13 AM »
18°C/64°F here. Quite okay, though it could be a little warmer.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 02:33:30 PM »
If you guys took the Canadians out of a Canada all you would get would be more America.

This weekend was the hottest of the year thus far but nothing that would melt streetlights and mountains.  I've noticed that around here "climate change" has become the buzzword over "global warming".  That's because over the last five years or so it's been COLDER around here.  More snow in the winter, more rain in the summer.  Last year it wasn't until August before things started to look like summer.  I think we got like two weeks of shorts weather.  This year has been nicer but it still took a few weeks into July to get things going.

I think all the controversy of global warming would have been avoided if it didn't involve rich celebrities telling us "common folk" that we need to start taking public transit while they fly around in private jets.  Don't make hypocrites your mouthpiece if you want to win public support.  If Hollywood types latch onto something I have an immediate kneejerk reaction to go with the opposite.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 02:43:03 PM »
They switched to calling it "climate change" because it more accurately describes the local effects. "Global warming" is accurate in the sense that the average temperature of the planet is increasing, but the climate is a very complex thing and the shifting air and water currents that come from the warming cause different effects in different places, sometimes actually resulting in colder temperatures.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 03:56:08 PM »
Whats funny is that climate change deniers would point to snow in winter as "evidence" that climate change was fake.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 04:31:54 PM »
And that's dumb, but so's the original post in this thread arguing that this heat wave is proof that it is happening. Climate change is about the big picture; what the weather's like for a couple months doesn't prove anything.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2012, 05:34:49 PM »
This isn't just any heat wave. This summer has seen thousands of all time heat records being broken, and these records stretch back to at least the 1890s. So this summer has been the hottest for at least 120 years, and perhaps even far longer than that.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 05:54:50 PM »
This isn't just any heat wave. This summer has seen thousands of all time heat records being broken, and these records stretch back to at least the 1890s. So this summer has been the hottest for at least 120 years, and perhaps even far longer than that.

And for the past few years, we'vet seen record cold temperatures in Winter. So what?  The Earth has been going through cycles of extreme heat and cold since the planet was formed.  It just seems presumptuous to me to blame everything on MAN (yes, MAN!) when we've only been a presence on this planet for a comparably infinitessimal amount of time, and poluting the environment in significant amounts for even less than that. Sure, I have no doubt we've made SOME impact, but I think this is more likely just the current cycle asserting itself.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 06:49:26 PM »
Brood, if you compare the rate at which the global temperature has been increasing with the rate that CO2 in the atmosphere has been increasing the two charts will match up identically. How could that be a coincidence?

And the CO2 that is going into the atmosphere is almost entirely due to human activity. Some of it can be caused by Volcanic activity, but the overwhelming majority is from the burning of fossil fuels. If you look at coal or oil this is Carbon that has been taken out of the natural cycle and buried deep inside the Earth for literally millions of years, but in the space of just a few hundred years mankind has taken this millions upon millions of years worth of fossilized Carbon, ripped out of the Earth, and then burned it and sent it all into the atmosphere. So we are seeing carbon levels in the atmosphere now that the Earth has not seen since the time of the dinosaurs. You know that gas that you pumped in your car today? 100 million years ago that could have been a T-Rex, and it got buried under the ground and was out of the carbon cycle for all that time, but then when you burn it its put back into the carbon cycle.

If it weren't for man these sequestered carbon in the form of fossil fuels would stay in the ground for millions if not billions of more years. How would it ever get back out of the ground? If it weren't for mankind it would stay buried. We're the reason this genie is being let back out of the bottle. There is no denying that.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2012, 07:16:31 PM »

And for the past few years, we'vet seen record cold temperatures in Winter. So what?  The Earth has been going through cycles of extreme heat and cold since the planet was formed.  It just seems presumptuous to me to blame everything on MAN (yes, MAN!) when we've only been a presence on this planet for a comparably infinitessimal amount of time, and poluting the environment in significant amounts for even less than that. Sure, I have no doubt we've made SOME impact, but I think this is more likely just the current cycle asserting itself.

I should point out that here in western New York, last winter was the warmest winter on record (our average snowfall is 99.3 inches, this past winter we got only 59.9 inches). Scientists have already proven that the Earth is heating up much faster than usual and is getting worse, and that humans are responsible for it. So it's not "some" impact, it's the majority impact. It doesn't take a genius to look and see that the levels of CO2 and warming of the Earth has skyrocketed since the industrial era.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 09:45:41 PM »
Hey AnGer! I've got a question. Does it bother you that everybody calls your country Germany, when you guys call it Deutschland? I've always wondered...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2012, 09:46:21 PM »
The climate is changing every time it rains. Try again hippies!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2012, 09:49:22 PM »
You want climate change? Try Krakatoa.