Author Topic: Mario Tennis!!!!  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Pikkcuber

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mario Tennis!!!!
« on: July 15, 2004, 10:10:25 AM »
Hey whats going on with the new Mario Tennis title.  I loved playing this title for the 64 it is one of the more timeless titles the 64 had to offer.  Is there gonna be a story mode of something to justify a 50 bucks purchase.  Does anybody know which characters will be playable and if there will be unlockables like there were in Mario Kart.  I thought tennis was coming out in 2005 but i heard in another thread that it is coming in December. Can anyone abck that up? Thanks
PikkCuber

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Mario Tennis!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 10:13:20 AM »
According to Electronics Boutique it ships December 6th.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 10:37:47 AM »
Thanks the screen shots i found there look crazy.
PikkCuber

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 01:47:19 PM »
I heard this one has no LAN but o well my Mario tennis 64 is still sitting in my N64.  But I will be also picking this one up considering how much I loved the 64 version.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Tennis!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 11:59:25 PM »
I don't expect Mario Tennis to be out this year.

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 12:14:34 AM »
the movie for mario tennis that i saw at gametrailers.com surprised me. It looks like everybody has new special moves that are unique to them now. That koopa troopa one rules!!
Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 12:46:13 AM »
Goddammit, it better be out this year- Camelot's been working on it forever!
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 01:15:01 AM »
I hope they intend to put some effort into the graphics. Blurry Mario Sunshine textures and shockingly low polygon characters are noooo gooood. Oh but hey, if Donkey Kong spews forth new hilarious sound effects, all will be good.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 01:16:37 AM »
BBBBBBBBB OHKAY BBBBBBBBBBBBBB OH BBBBBBB OHK BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
are you scccchhhhhweeeeeaaating? dooon't wiiiiff.

I think Camelot is using Amiga 500s to program it or something <_<
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 07:13:13 AM »
"I hope they intend to put some effort into the graphics. Blurry Mario Sunshine textures and shockingly low polygon characters are noooo gooood."

Nintendo seems to have decided that the average-at-best Mario Sunshine models are to be the standard Mario models that appear in every Cube game.  I guess the SSBM model looked too good and it might encourage sales or something.  I think reusing models is great because it cuts down dev time and maintains a consistent look across all the games.  I just wish they didn't pick one that looked so asstastic.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 11:49:47 AM »
I think the models look similar to Mario Sunshine's, but they're noticeably more detailed in polygon-count, lighting, and texture-wise; a much better effort that Double Dash.  It's not at the level of SSBM's characters, but I think they look good.  However, in the E3 pics it's missing some of the self-shadowing and shiny lighting that was present in the earliest screenshots.  I can't tell if the tennis ball is still furry anymore.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 11:51:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I guess the SSBM model looked too good and it might encourage sales or something.

LMAO =D.

I really think that the SSBM models should be used for all of the Mario-related games .

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 12:39:23 PM »
"However, in the E3 pics it's missing some of the self-shadowing and shiny lighting that was present in the earliest screenshots."

Those were FMV shots...

I couldn't care less about the character design at this point(considering I dislike more realism...it's MARIO, for pete's sake)...I just wish to play all the minigames that will be present...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 12:45:47 PM »
"Those were FMV shots..."

Why does Nintendo even bother to make FMV for Mario games?  The FMV in Mario Sunshine looked WORSE than the real graphics somehow.  The whole point of using FMV is to create a cutscene that has more detail than the in-game graphics.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 01:30:55 PM »
Biru-kun [Bill] baka!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2004, 01:49:32 PM »
Kun? ;____;
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2004, 05:59:27 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks the SSBM Mario model looks a bit.. stupid and out of proportion? I actually laughed at it the first time I played SSBM.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2004, 06:09:55 PM »
Says the man with the Paper Mario avatar.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2004, 06:27:07 PM »
I like the Paper Mario model .  Although I do prefer SSBM's .

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2004, 06:34:19 PM »
The Paper Mario model looks good for Paper Mario but it really wouldn't fit anywhere else.

Personally I think Super Mario RPG is the best graphic representation of Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom yet.  That was exactly what I thought the Mario franchise would look like in 3D.  Well technically it's pre-rendered but it looks 3D.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2004, 05:19:30 PM »

Nintendo seems to have decided that the average-at-best Mario Sunshine models are to be the standard Mario models that appear in every Cube game. I guess the SSBM model looked too good and it might encourage sales or something. I think reusing models is great because it cuts down dev time and maintains a consistent look across all the games. I just wish they didn't pick one that looked so asstastic.

What is so bad about the models?  I don't know about you, but I never was zoomed in enough in Mario Sunshine to think of Mario as anything but the pudgy, cartoony character he is.  Unless we're seeing close-ups of faces (in cut-scenes and such) I don't see any reason to change the models.  What Nintendo really needs to focus on is textures.  Some of the textures - particularly in SMS.

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2004, 01:56:58 PM »
I dont care about the graphics too much as long as the game play is good and tehy have a story mode I'll be very happy
PikkCuber

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2004, 01:38:11 AM »
I just hope they don't go OVERBOARD with minigames and special moves that it takes away from the tennis itself i mean i like mario tennis 64 not only because it was mario because it was a good tennis game. If they went overboard i may just end up like a mario party type game with no realty.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2004, 05:36:40 AM »

Personally I think Super Mario RPG is the best graphic representation of Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom yet.
Your kidding right, you only have to look at Yoshi to see that that game looked a joke, Mario was wide too. Landscape wise it's probably the best though. Mario Sunshine did do plenty of cool effects though, especially the water, and the boss battle looked stunning but yeah, good graphics really do help sales and Nintendo just don't seem to try.

Mario Tennis should be terrific, and hopefully better than Top Spin on Xbox, which is really good.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2004, 03:13:49 PM »
I dont think Mario Tennis should be compared to Top Spin. Its like comparing NBA live to NBA Street.  There both good basketball games but there target audience is different.  Mario Tennis should provide a good whimsical fun arcady tennis experience, while Top Spin is more like real life (except they have Anna.K playing Tennis). I cant say it enough times though there has to be some kind of story mode or they should sell it at 40 bucks.
PikkCuber