Author Topic: REV's mainstream media coverage  (Read 11634 times)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
REV's mainstream media coverage
« on: May 16, 2005, 01:08:53 PM »
If this is being discussed elswhere, I apologize.

The best coverage seems to be on the BBC. Here's their report on e3, currently their top story in the technology section. It actually isn't biased in favor of sony or microsoft.

CNN. TV coverage has been terrible. Today they had a report where they said Nintedo "announced" that they would be "late" in the upcomming console race, missing the "crucial 2005 Holiday season" where XBOX 360 would be launching. They mentioned Nintendo's negative tiku tiku tiku!  image, then said that, with Sony's apparent unveling on Monday (not sure if they meant today), it was looking like a "two horse race" this year (implying that the ps3 would launch this year).
But they actually have a fairly decent article on line here (though it does use the 360 as it's picture). It's currently the top story in it's technology section.

Microsoft-NBC. I haven't seen any TV coverage. The web coverage is pretty bad. Their E3 article  mainly focuses on the XBOX 360, PS3 and (to a lesser extent) the new Zelda. It has a funny quote:  'nintendo will show off the next "Legend of Zelda." And with no single game dominating the E3 expo floor as in years past, it's a total guess as to which title or titles are worthy of praise.'
After Nintendo released some more information about the revolution, MSNBC released this article, which takes that information and puts it at the very end of the article. The headline is "Nintendo's Revolution will have to wait", and the article mangages to get a whole paragraph about the xbox 360 in before talking about the known details of the Revolution.

Haven't seen anything on fox.

So, yeah, mainstream media coverage sucks for the most part. Not that we didn't already know that.
Thoughts? Anyone catch more mainstream reporting on revolution?    
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:REV's mainstream media coverage
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 01:46:41 PM »
nintendo really should make this system "cool"...they should be assertive with the mainstream media, because they are getting respect otherwise. they should send myimato (spelling) to do some interviews or something.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline LuWoo75

• View Profile
RE: REV's mainstream media coverage
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 01:58:14 PM »
I'd agree, most of the boards i've been on NO ONE is talking about the Revolution.  Even some family and friends dont' even mention it.  Nintendo is going to havta come up with something 'cool' in order to even be competitive.  It's like everyone thinks its a 2 system race.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 01:59:33 PM »
Expecting the mainstream media to understand video games, let alone have something insightful to say about them, is like expecting them to understand literature, music, politics, or well... anything that matters.

As an investor in Nintendo the last thing I want to see is for them to try to "mainstream" their products. Microsoft has spent a mint trying to do that, and despite what the press may think, has failed mightily.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 02:06:14 PM »
i agree, they dont need volumes of advertising....they need smart advertising. if they send some of their big boys out for a rare interview or two, it could do a lot to boost the way people percieve nintendo. i guess it really depends on whether or not the news outlets are interested...
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 03:38:22 PM »
its funny how the media puts a negative spin on how nintendo is launching later then xbox 360........MICROSOFT IS JUMPING THE GUN!!!! They are launching earlier then what the industry wants.  
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline LuWoo75

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 03:43:05 PM »
Well it's official now the ps3 is now unveild and the specs are shown over IGN.com.  It looks alot like the ps2 IMHO just more streamlined.  Nintendo looks to be last at unveiling it's new console.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 04:51:07 PM »
After Microsoft and Sony both baring all, there is NO WAY Nintendo can afford to not show off a whole lot. It'll destroy them, figuritively at least.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 04:51:40 PM »
agreed, the perm.
Actually, the cnn article did have a good quote on the matter: "While [the early launch] may tip the balance in Microsoft's favor, analysts said being first has often hurt game manufacturers in the past." I haven't seen anyone else say it, though.
What really kills me is that they completley miss the fact that while they chide Nintendo for being 'late' they completle fail to notice that beloved sony is doing the exact same thing. Furthermore, the media doesn't mention quotes where Nintendo said they would match Sony's launch date. And, when analyzing the upcomming launch, the media doesn't think to look back at other launches and draw comparisons. In fact, the media doesn't really seem to think much at all. Bleh.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 08:04:27 PM »
This just in. A CNN news bulletin from E3.--"Nintendo is TEH SUX and is gai and fer babies who r gai" says Wolf Blitzer.

Offline OptimusPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 06:23:37 AM »
Really, you're veins are filled with coffee right about now aren't they...
"SOMETHING"

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 07:00:53 AM »
damn that wolf blitzer

Thomas Paine

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 11:38:37 AM »
Well, the mainstream reaction is comming in....
and it's not half bad. I was expecting Nintendo to be completley trashed by everybody, but it doesn't really look like that's happening. The media seems to be eating the new gameboy up (http://www.cnn.com/TECH/). Same for the Revolution's extended backwards compatability...although the PS3 clearly still has the most hype.

Look at the offical playstation E3 board. (http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board?board.id=e3) Alot of people are going nuts over the 20-year year backwards compatability... and a good deal are ambivelant about the PS3. Look further at this piece on the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/4555721.stm, where the reaction to the PS3 seems decidly mixed. Look at other message boards, where many seem surprised that Nintendo showed so much.

The press and reaction have been kind of bleh, because the presentation was kind of bleh. But the important thing is that Nintendo isn't getting bad press out of this, at least not yet. And, people aren't really writing off Nintendo's console either. Was Nintendo right after all? I think they might've shown just the right amount to stay on the mainstream radar...while saving themselves for Revolution's true unveiling that will send out massive shockwaves to be felt all over the world by gamers and non-gamers alike.

Or am I missing the boat here? Has the reaction actually been terrible?  

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
RE: REV: mainstream reaction and press coverage
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 11:53:54 AM »
It's been terrible around here. As always the most loyal Nintendo die hards are ALWAYS the hardest on Nintendo.

Offline OptimusPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 12:03:22 PM »
Well, why do you think crap-games don't sell on the GameCube (well mostly don'y)?? N-fans are probably the most critical gamers out there. The new Game Boy Micro looks like a very sleek gadgety thing...and mainstream likes very sleek looking gadgets and quite some people are indeed allready saying that they would buy a Rev just for the enormous backwards compatibility. I mean... think about it: Sin of Punishment, DragonQuest I-somehugeromannumber for download...gah!
If Nintendo is smart they should trow in "The Wind Waker: Lost Scenes" and stuff like that. Heck, i demand the 64DD-version of F-Zero X!! online play + creat-a-track editor woohoo!
"SOMETHING"

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 12:03:34 PM »
If you think about it isn't that surprising that the mainstream media is more impressed with the E3 conference than us.  They're ignorant and that prevents them from seeing what was so crappy about it.

The mainstream media doesn't know games, they know gadgets.  The new Gameboy is a nifty gadget so they love it.  Any gamer knows that the GBA is on it's last legs and will for all intents and purposes be completely obsolete by the time this new GBA arrives.  But the mainstream press doesn't know that so they're blown away.

Same with the Rev.  Gamers care about games and controllers.  The mainstream media just sees a nifty gadget so they're impressed.   It's small and high tech looking and that's all that matters to them.

Offline NRevolutionR

• View Profile
RE:REV: mainstream reaction and press coverage
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 12:11:26 PM »
Ya'll should really lighten up.

There is plenty of postive coverage to go around.    

Bleed Nintendo

I think that my, I mean , this site is really going to become popular and will take an active part in leading the Nintendo Revolution.
Quote<BR>    op·ti·mist<BR>    n.<BR>    1. One who usually expects a favorable outcome<BR>    2. Bill Aurion<BR><BR>    Quote<BR>    pes'si·mist<BR>    n.<BR>    1. A person who expects the worst<BR>    2. Ian Sane

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 12:39:36 PM »
Geez Ian, you sound like you WANT the media to crap on Nintendo just to proove some point. Now I know that isn't what you really want so stand back on look at this situation.

The media thinks Nintendo did great at E3. How does that do anything but help Nintendo?

Offline OptimusPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 12:39:40 PM »
You want some advice? Drop the red color...it hurts my eyes, badly...

I do agree with Rancid Planet, what Nintendo is doing now is create a "under the skin" kind of feeling. A complete backwards compatibility of the last 20 years is every real gamers wet bed dream. What Nintendo knows need to do is start clearing up al those filosophical junk they have been spitting around, explain what they mean by "making it easy for making a game that only has a big idea" (which i call now the Big N "if those multi-million thrid parties won't help us then we'll make our own new third parties" masterplan), release some specs, maybe leak some screenshots, allow for some developers to start talking in some detail.

I'm betting they'll release some specs and explain some Rev-concepts in the coming days/weeks.
"SOMETHING"

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 12:57:24 PM »
"The media thinks Nintendo did great at E3. How does that do anything but help Nintendo?"

Well obviously it helps Nintendo and that's good.  I'm just pointing out why they would be impressed when we're not.

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 01:03:08 PM »

I'm betting they'll release some specs and explain some Rev-concepts in the coming days/weeks.

Well, if they were planning on releasing specs why would they do it any other time than at their big conference?

More mainstream coverage:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4557443.stm
Top story in the BBC's technology section (hooray)
"Nintendo reveals its revolution - Nintendo shows off its new home console, the Revolution, but technical details are scarce."

MSNBC, on the other hand, is much less kind.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032118/?ta=y
"BRING IT ON! -Sony, Microsoft unveil plans for world, er, gaming domination -Nintendo unveils new Game Boy"  

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 01:13:04 PM »
The GBA is obsolete... so what?

Its still got a huge library of titles with a big presence in a lot of retail outlets and the largest installed user base of any current system on the planet. When a desirable title like Pokemon Emerald comes out, does its graphical inferiority keep it from moving to the top of the sales charts?

So long as the hardware is still on the market and the software is still selling, there's no reason for a developer to not keep making GBA games. And assuming the new GB Micro is sensibly priced (I'd like to see $50-$60), if you didn't already own a GBA, there's no reason not to get one.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2005, 02:42:41 PM »
Things like the new GB are cool because they mean nothing but profit for Nintendo and continued software development on the GB simply by redesigning the hardware it makes it infinitely more interesting, to people who have owned one before and people have never played one.  But because it will be sheer profit Nintendo should be using that money to make some real games, rather than shorting us so they can work on that.  

Look at the Cube, there are no games; they better have twice as many awesome titles as Sony at launch cause I know for a fact my Cube is covered in dust.  

This kills me as a Nintendo fan because I have lost count of the years it has been since Mario 64, since the last Mario game.  Unless you count the last Mario game to be Mario World.  It has been a long time and since then we have gotten nothing but filler on the Cube from them.  A vacum game, a water gun game, and twenty party and sports games.  Where are the Mario Bros?  Where is the game that made 2 player a fu**ing standard in this industry.  The series that lifted the entire industry off the ground, dead weight and all, and then proceeded to lift it above its shoulders with arms out stretched and a hundred million units worth of muscle in its arms.  Where has Nintendo gone.  

Where are the original games?

Where are the real games?  Nintendogs?  oh god.

They were really going for safety with the numb dumbness of the press with what they showed for the REV.  Obviously they didn't want to show graphics after the PS3 was shown, but what about a controller?  At least a decoy version missing the revolutionary aspect.  They could have even pointed out that the revolutionary aspect was not shown on the present model of the controller, but they showed nothing.  The media can't see through the fog of games that we Nintendo fans already own that are offered through the universal backwards compatibility (didn't I suggest something like that in my original thread about "the crash of 05").  I like the backwards compatibility, but I wanted some meat.  The casing is less important to me right now than what I play it with and what I play in it.  The purpose of demos is to not only show off the innards of the casing, but the games.  The games Nintendo, the games!  

And one more thing.  Why on god's green earth are they planning on releasing another FFCC?  Why not something that carries positive baggage with it like a fully realised cel shaded FFTactics game?
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2005, 02:52:47 PM »
"Why on god's green earth are they planning on releasing another FFCC?"

Because we all went out and bought it to try to encourage Square Enix support.  I will take full responsibility for contributing to the sales figures for that piece of crap.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2005, 02:55:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Why on god's green earth are they planning on releasing another FFCC?"

Because we all went out and bought it to try to encourage Square Enix support.  I will take full responsibility for contributing to the sales figures for that piece of crap.

lol, glad I wasn't the only one. Still, the music was good, I will say that.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk