Author Topic: Gottlieb Pinball Classics (I dedicate this song to Kairon)  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Gottlieb Pinball Classics (I dedicate this song to Kairon)
« on: June 05, 2007, 09:13:06 PM »
Gottlieb Pinball Classics was one of two PAL launch titles for the Wii by System 3. The other being Super Fruit Fall, an $80 port of a flash game, programmed by one guy! Gottlieb had a bit more effort put into it. Although it's essentially a port of the same game found on PS2 and PSP. Also released in America under the title 'Pinball Hall of Fame' for PS2, Xbox, PSP AND GC. But that's okay, the developers, Farsight, spat on the Wii game to polish it up a lot. Farsight enjoy spitting! The graphics have been cleaned up (saliva does that), the loading times reduced to basically nothing and the best part, the ball physics improved. The PS2 version had some preeeetty dodgy balls, danglin' arou-wait. The pinball was kinda floaty, like jumping in the first Virtua Fighter game. It'd sometimes get stuck on the edge of things in a weird way. Not anymore!

Farsight absolutely nailed the controls, too. You use both the Wii controller and the Nunchuck, the Z button on each controls either the left or right flipper. It might sound a bit odd, but holding them like that really does bring it closer to feeling like a proper pinball machine. Also if you shake them left or right it'll nudge the table in that direction. Much more fun than just tapping the L or R buttons on a PS2 controller. TOP HAT GOLD. There's also a whopping eleven tables! You're lucky to get even three tables in the majority of what little pinball games come out these days, eleven is good value for money. Like nutmeg. They're all digital versions of real Gottlieb tables, going back to the early 1960's to the early 1990's. My favorite table is Victory, from 1987. You know why? Because VICTORY. Also it makes car noises.

Oh yeah and there's no craptastic music aside from the title screen, just the sounds of the tables and background noise to kinda make you feel like you're in an arcade. Each table has a number of goals to complete in order to earn credits. You need credits to play the tables in order to beat the goals. What what. Yeah, it works out though, and you feel all special in the pants when you unlock a new table. There are also a few other novelty things to check out, such as a Love Testers and the almighty Xolten, a fortune teller! Farsight have a new Wii pinball game in the works, featuring PINBOT! And this time it'll get an American release too. It's one of my favorite Wii games because VICTO-uh, PINBALL!  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Gottlieb Pinball Classics (I dedicate this song to Kairon)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 09:35:08 PM »
OH DARN! I forgot that you can't play UK releases on an American Wii! OH THE WASTE! THE TORTURE! THE IRONY!

... you're saying they're gonna make a NEW pinball game that WILL get an American release though? THEY HAD BETTER!!! (I really wanted Xolten... the fortune teller... maybe they'll put something like him in THQ's Carnival Games?)
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 10:42:14 PM »
Oh yeah, there probably will be! =o Also Farsight's new pinball game is called William's Pinball Hall of Fame and yep, American release confirmed!

Offline BlueStorm

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 01:01:02 AM »

I have the U.S. Version of the Gamecube Gottlieb's Pinball.  Are you saying that there is a European Wii version? I didn't even know that the Gamecube version came out until I saw it really cheap online one day.  I'm planning on picking up the Williams' version.  There are a lot of tables I wish were recreated.

<BR>

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 08:15:28 AM »
I am interested in this balls of pinning game.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.