Author Topic: Tales of Monkey Island Interview with Mike Stemmle  (Read 2711 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Tales of Monkey Island Interview with Mike Stemmle
« on: October 06, 2009, 02:41:10 PM »
NWR sits down with Telltale to talk about Tales of Monkey Island and more.

The Monkey Island series has a rich history and fan base, with the first adventure game appearing on PCs in 1990. Telltale has recently revived the series in the form of downloadable episodic adventures on WiiWare. We sat down with Mike Stemmle, who has been heavily involved with LucasArts adventure games and is the designer for Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 3: Lair of the Leviathan.

Read more...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 02:46:40 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Monkey Island Interview with Mike Stemmle
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 02:52:37 PM »
Awesome interview Aaron!
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 02:56:22 PM »
Thanks for the questions.  We wouldn't have these great interviews without great questions coming in from the staff.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 03:58:17 PM »
Huh. Well, with any luck their revised comments about the hardware means they've figured out how to make the games run smoothly when making the transition to the Wii. When they get around to releasing Sam & Max: Season Two on Wii, I'd be happy to get it then if it was technically sound.

One question I would have asked is why their company mantra is to produce point-and-click adventures, nothing else. I realise it is their speciality, they have some talented writers and all that, but I wonder what they could come up with if they fought outside the usual Telltale Games box.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:03:25 PM »
One question I would have asked is why their company mantra is to produce point-and-click adventures, nothing else. I realise it is their speciality, they have some talented writers and all that, but I wonder what they could come up with if they fought outside the usual Telltale Games box.

Just the feeling I got-- they would need to expand significantly to be able to do that.  Their staff is pretty small, and they're pretty stretched getting the games out that they do (notice he said even the basic Strong Bad Fun Machine games nearly killed them).  To do other games would require a lot of development in both design of games and design of tools.  So instead they're trying to evolve the genre that they do work on.
Aaron Kaluszka