Author Topic: Metroid vs Dark Sector  (Read 1404 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Metroid vs Dark Sector
« on: July 19, 2004, 06:18:21 PM »
If youv seen any sci fi futuristic game for next gen consoles then you have seen Dark Sector. Now Dark Sector runs
on an engine that is designed for what next gen systems should pull off and is actually running on a pc. Anyways I was jusdt drawing some comparisons to it and what you would see in the metroid series....

anyways What would you like to see in a next gen metroid?

first i would like to see

more of samus
metroids
some corridors with crazy lighting.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid vs Dark Sector
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 12:03:04 AM »
I'd like to see harmless insects/butterflies/flyingthings fly into samus' helmet and then samus hand wipe the mess off, and fish swimming into the helmet underwater. The underwater parts should look awesome. I'd like to see more snow parts too.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 12:19:15 AM »
Dark Sector? Wasn't that this generic FPS that got publicity by relying on next-gen graphics? And in the end still looks ugly?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 06:32:37 AM »
Mario, when was the last time fish bumped into your face when you've gone for a swim?

It's hard to think about where the Metroid franchise can/will go really. I mean Prime 2 is basically the same with a different adventure and multiplayer and Hunters is just more multiplayer. I think this is where we will really start to see the Metroid franchise at a breaking point, how fresh can they make it without ruining Metroid? They can't suddenly throw in spaceship based missions but the can't keep churning out Prime with different locations every few years either. What's even scarier is that so far we've only thought of asethetic changes, how long will these keep us interested?
I think the Metroid games need to delve into Samus as a character more, she's up there with Link in the bland character stakes. Fusion had a few brief moments where she would think aloud to us gamers, I liked that and I think they should do more characterisation in Metroid.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 07:18:17 AM »
I'd like to see a new 2D Metroid game but not on a portable.  After playing Four Swords Adventure I'm in the mood for more console 2D games that use all sorts of cool effects made possible by the more advanced hardware.  MP2 is introducing the concept of parallel worlds to the franchise and I would love to see that in one of the 2D games.

Something I would like to see that most fans probably wouldn't like is no more respawning enemies in the 3D games.  The enemies in Metroid Prime were just too f*cking hard to kill to have them respawn.  Fighting Chozo Ghosts is hard enough.  Fighting them again and again everytime you enter this one room sucks.  If they made the enemies easier to kill then it would be okay to have them respawn but when it takes a couple minutes to clear out a room of Space Pirates it's not very fun to have to do it over and over again.  In the 2D Metroid games it took seconds to kill the respawning enemies.  I guess the ideal setup would be the ability to turn respawning enemies on or off in the options so people can play it as they want.

I also would like the option to target Zelda style where you press the button once to lock on and again to lock off.  My finger was getting really sore from targeting the bosses the whole time.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 12:37:15 PM »

I'd like to see a new 2D Metroid game but not on a portable. After playing Four Swords Adventure I'm in the mood for more console 2D games that use all sorts of cool effects made possible by the more advanced hardware. MP2 is introducing the concept of parallel worlds to the franchise and I would love to see that in one of the 2D games.

Mmmmm, 2d hoem console goodness... I second this.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."