Author Topic: Nintendo going Retro  (Read 2033 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Nintendo going Retro
« on: July 16, 2004, 11:01:14 PM »
Ok i beleive a few of you justl ike me think Nintendo should really take advantage of its retroness.
So to do this it would have to really tailor its launch lineup for this.

Imagine this

Super Mario Revolution
Metal Gear Solid(TTS re-release for only 9.99)
Ninja Gaiden Revolution(xbox version with updates)
Mega Man Revolution
Castelvania Revolution
Final Fantasy XII

basically if Nintendo really wanted to they could get devlopers all nastalgic and have em make
sequals to hit nes classics
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo going Retro
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 03:10:58 AM »
I'm one of the people who think nostalgia is a plus for Nintendo.  I just hope Nintendo realizes it works, and not just for the GBA.  The cube could use some too.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 07:20:19 AM »
You know I think it's funny how teenagers are all "Retro is so cool, I love the old school Nintendo stuff."  Yet when it comes to games now, they're like "Nintendo sucks, their games are SO kiddy and boring."  Damn hypocrites!!  The only retro shirt that I got was from pre-ordering Four Swords from GameStop and getting the "Sword Play" shirt.  It's nice.  
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo going Retro
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 09:14:32 AM »
My ideal retro launch lineup contains original titles from Nintendo combined with re-releases of rare titles and compilations from third parties.  The idea is the ports and comps will be easy for third parties to make thus getting them some initial strong Rev game sales (launch games often sell pretty well) to get them to provide support.  The reason I'm choosing rare titles and comps is because those are titles that people actually want to buy.  Naturally brand new games are welcome as well but I obviously can't predict those.

Nintendo - New Mario title, one or two other original titles one of which should be a brand new property, Fire Emblem compilation collecting the NES and SNES titles for the American market.  The Rev pack-in game is Nintendo Classics Vol. 1 which would contain Super Metroid and Star Fox the idea being that those are two popular classic games that have not been ported to the GBA.  In the future Nintendo would release more of these volumes to fill holes in the release schedule.

Sega - Shinging Force III Complete which contains all three Scenarios all translated in English.  Re-release or remake of NiGHTS.  Sonic Mega Collection 2 which includes Sonic CD, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic R, and the ultra rare Sonic Arcade game.

Capcom - Some sort of arcade beat-em-up collection containing titles like Final Fight, King of Dragons, and Knights of the Round.  The idea is to finally get all those classic Capcom beat-em-ups on home consoles arcade perfect.  The only problem is licenced titles like the D&D games might not be included.

Konami - Castelvania collection which includes the never released in North America Dracula XX: Rondo of Blood.  A Gradius comp would be cool too.

Treasure - Treasure compilation including Radiant Silvergun, Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, etc.  These games sell huge on Ebay and hardcore nuts would buy a Rev just for this title.

Square Enix -  The big one.  Dragon Warrior Legends (or some other generic title) that re-releases the trilogy of DWIV, V, and VI.  IV is rare as hell and the other two have never been released in North America.  Hell this would sell huge in Japan too.  Sure SE only supports the market leader but these aren't new games and Nintendo could offer to publish them.  Again this would sell some systems since the SNES Dragon Warrior titles are like brand new games over here and RPG nuts would go batsh!t over this.  A domestic release of Final Fantasy III would also be huge.

Of course new titles should compliment this lineup.  Ideally Nintendo should have Retro, NST, Intelligent Systems, Camelot, Hudson, and HAL all working on one launch title each.  The retro releases are too pad the release schedule so prevent a drought.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 10:15:12 AM »
oh yeah and of course...a retro metroid from retro

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 11:01:36 AM »

Originally posted by: SgtShiversBen
You know I think it's funny how teenagers are all "Retro is so cool, I love the old school Nintendo stuff."  Yet when it comes to games now, they're like "Nintendo sucks, their games are SO kiddy and boring."  Damn hypocrites!!  The only retro shirt that I got was from pre-ordering Four Swords from GameStop and getting the "Sword Play" shirt.  It's nice.

I don't think it is the fact that it is Retro.  I personally believe that Nintendo's games were better in the 16-Bit era.  I would gladly take ALttP over TWW, or take Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island over Super Mario Sunshine.  I'd take Super Metroid over Metroid Prime.

A lot of people don't like the way that Nintendo does their games now, or rather the 3D incarnations - but ask if they want to play Super Mario World on GBA and they'll talk for 15 minutes about how much they loved it when they were a kid.  I don't think they are being hypocritical, I think that they liked Nintendo's older games better.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 11:41:18 AM »
"Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island over Super Mario Sunshine."

How about Super Mario 64 over Super Mario World?  Ehhhhh?  I bet more would choose 64...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 07:53:43 PM »
I know I would.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 07:57:19 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill
"Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island over Super Mario Sunshine."

How about Super Mario 64 over Super Mario World?  Ehhhhh?  I bet more would choose 64...

And I would pick Super Mario World over either one.  And if you didn't notice, I was trying to use Gamecube games for the examples.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 08:32:27 PM »
I would pick SMW too, but that doesn't hide the fact that more people would choose SM64 over SMW...YOu used a poor example
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 09:49:13 PM »
I would pick LttP over OoT too....  God I miss my snes... =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Cube_King

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 10:26:40 PM »

Originally posted by: SgtShiversBen
You know I think it's funny how teenagers are all "Retro is so cool, I love the old school Nintendo stuff."

WTF?! Since when did teenagers started saying that?

"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2004, 01:00:35 PM »
hmmm i would take mario 64 over smw...but i would take smw over sunshine.  I would take OOt over the tww. alttp is good but i wasnt really a gamer when it came out so oot owns the magic for me.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2004, 03:56:24 PM »
Everywhere around here that's all the style.  I don't live in a very trendy place either.  I mean everywhere I go I see those little kiosks with a mock up of the N64 controller that are playing Contra and whatnot, and then at Hot Topic I see that too.  All the people I know are all like "Man, I wish they brought back the old school Metroid and Zelda's."  It just makes no sense I tell you.  I hate it how people wear their shirts and everything, but when it comes to the games (or ways to get those old school games) they're so ignorant about it and say that "NINTENDO IS DOOMED!!"  It may not be where you are, but here, that's how it is.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 06:20:35 AM »
Well people liking Nintendo then and not now actually never played the new Nintendo games.  They just say "Nintendo sucks"  They are more from true gamers turned into the media newbies.  They're older so they see GTA as the game to play and just simply not play a game like Pikmin.  These are the people that are like "Hey dude I just caught by the cops!  HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU"  "I found my old man's liquour bottle and I got wasted!"  I know I'm like that too a lot but not to the point where I'm some newbie rebel in life and just go against the world for no reason.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.