Author Topic: Possible to use Gamecube controllers on PS2 at all?  (Read 11912 times)

Offline deanimate

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Possible to use Gamecube controllers on PS2 at all?
« on: July 16, 2004, 11:04:07 AM »
As title really.  Im mainly a fighting game guy and in all honesty the PS2 pad isn't feeling my love that much at the mo.  I got a PS2 simply due to REALLY wanting to get back into the fighting game scene as last time i played these games was on the SNES with simple old Street Fighter 2.

Most people said that a PS2 was best for fighting games so thats where i went.  My roots are with Nintendo though and i'd much prefer to stay with them if they had all the fighters.

My thinking is that we all know how much the SNES pad owned.  Absolute BEAST for pulling off dragon punches all day long.  Thus i would like to try out that new Hori Digital Pad on the PS2 to see if they've kept the Dpad as good as it was.

There are loads of PS2 to GC converters but does anyone know of a GC to PS2 converter?!
CvsSNK2 is sophisticated beer ^_^

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Possible to use Gamecube controllers on PS2 at all?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 11:10:36 AM »
I don't think so.  I've looked before but found only Ps2 to GC and Ps2 to Xbox.  If you want to go extreme you could get that "X-Arcade" controller, its a true home arcade pad from what ive heard.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
RE: Possible to use Gamecube controllers on PS2 at all?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 03:20:53 PM »
Actually, i came across a PS2 - GC converter somewhere a few months ago, no idea what brand it was, and it sorta creeped me out (Losing 2 buttons, at least) but they DO exist.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 04:48:31 PM »
I've seen a converter that lets you plug a GameCube controller into a USB port. And the PS2 has some sort of USB port thingies. But I don't think it would work like that.

Edit: Oh and, I'd avoid experimenting with your PS2 if I were you. I got a controller extension cable for my PSOne a few weeks ago, and using it seems to have completely fried my PSOne's ability to generate any rumble feedback (the controller's just fine, it's my PSOne that's gone FUBAR).
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 05:42:01 PM »
YAY go third party junk,  and you gotta love sony engineering (especially you dark requiem) . Anyways a Gamecube pad wouldn't work on PS2 since it lacks a select button a L2 placement button and the L3, R3 (control stick click buttons).  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 05:55:28 PM »

My thinking is that we all know how much the SNES pad owned. Absolute BEAST for pulling off dragon punches all day long. Thus i would like to try out that new Hori Digital Pad on the PS2 to see if they've kept the Dpad as good as it was.

Eh, the Playstaion controller is basically a SNES controller with handles and two extra shoulder buttons. I'm quite surprised you don't like it for fighting games, especially since that's the one genre its d-pad centric design is actually useful for.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline deanimate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 06:23:50 PM »
well the left analogue stick gets in the way a little bit but mainly the Dpad just aint upto scratch with the SNES one. its a hard thing to replicate but for me there's such a difference :-/
button placement btw is fine. no worries at all. just the darn Dpad.

there are those street fighter controllers coming out very soon and ill try one of them to see if they've nailed the Dpad. hope they have :-/

Hey and Syl if you find that link could you let me know please?  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 06:24:54 PM »
Ah well, I'm glad someone likes the Cube controller for fighters- no harm in that.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline deanimate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 06:43:23 PM »
well that new Hori controller id like to try for sure.  i love the shape of the standard cube controller but no idea what its like for playing fighters.  
But the hori pad harks back to SNES days and thats gotta be good!

Offline deanimate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 11:49:44 PM »
oh and Shaolin ive never really been into using an arcade stick.
never played in the arcades that much so pads have always been my preference.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 07:06:08 AM »
" Ah well, I'm glad someone likes the Cube controller for fighters- no harm in that."

Personally, for a fighter I'd use it because it manages to hit diagonals way better than a good portion of the controllers out there.  Especially for any continuous motion move like the spinning pile driver.  

Offline deanimate

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 08:55:20 AM »
if only someone would see sense and release a converter so us PS2 ppl can use these cube pads which in all honesty sound a damn sight better.....ARRGGGHHHHHHHHHH¬!!!!!!!
...and breath

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 05:55:10 PM »
I also enjoy fighters with cube controler and even my thumb covers the whole D-pad i have no problem with control and weirdly enough i can play THPS(or THUG if you insist) better on a cube controler than a PS2 controler.  So I think this world is full of too many naysayers or pansies that dont wana get used to the cube Dpad but thats me.

Offline deanimate

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2004, 06:12:26 AM »
just wish i could try it out :-/

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2004, 11:15:32 AM »
well it would be great but you cant sorry the closest thing for all console fighter pad is those X-arcade fighter pads or the soul calibur 2 arcade pad.

Offline OmniDistortion

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 08:37:53 PM »
Get used to the PSX controller because it's the best damn controller in the world. *stab*

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2004, 08:57:45 PM »
"best"
You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

In other words, the PS2 controller is a mess of legacy garbage that should get a complete revision next gen. There's a reason both MS and N use the primary-stick layout (the reason is that modern games are mostly 3d). Especially Sony, who reject 2d games, should not put a dpad as the main control.