Author Topic: disapointed in 4 swords.  (Read 2516 times)

Offline seen33

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
disapointed in 4 swords.
« on: July 07, 2004, 10:11:35 AM »
I know im kinda late here... But I just played 4 swords.  After finally seeing how the game works, I have a question.  Why could this game not have been done 4-players with split screen instead of GBA?  This would of been Very possible and then you wouldent need a bunch of gameboys and cables to play it.   At first I thought the 4 GBAs were needed.. But now after playing the game, I see a 4-player split screen would still of been possible and leads me to belive that the 4 gbas is a pure money making sceme.

Playing this game also made me realize how Truly amazing a 2d Zelda game for the gamecube would be.  Im talking a regular 1 link 1-player zelda game along the sides of LTTP.  Just imagine a 20+ dungeon game with 3x the items and 3x the ammount of game time that LTTP had but all in the same style but with the updated 2d graphics seen in four swords.  I Think it would be illegal NOT to own such a game.  It would be also quite ez to make this type of game.  Its a shame I doubt Nintendo will ever do it tho.

Overall I rented 4 swords and am done with it.  Perhaps I could of played it more if I had some GBAs... But a 4-player split screen should of been in the game (no overall map.. just each player has a split screen which would be what they see on the GBA.)  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: disappointed in 4 swords.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 10:39:47 AM »
"Why could this game not have been done 4-players with split screen instead of GBA? This would of been Very possible and then you wouldent need a bunch of gameboys and cables to play it."

No it wouldn't...It'd be very, very stupid...If anything a LAN mode could have been applied, but even that's really a waste of time...

"Just imagine a 20+ dungeon game with 3x the items and 3x the ammount of game time that LTTP had but all in the same style but with the updated 2d graphics seen in four swords."

LOL, I doubt such a game will ever exist...You're talking RPG game length here...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline elementc

• WELCOME TO EARF!
    • View Profile
RE:disappointed in 4 swords.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 09:23:06 PM »
I for one would love a game of that length.
Insanity... goes well with a large glass of milk.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 09:29:42 PM »
my string is as long as an RPG.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 04:29:51 AM »
You may like a game of that length, but it'd be hell to make.  RPGs are capable of being made that long due to the nature of the game (and the fact that battles generally take longer due to the fighting style).  Having a Zelda game last that long. . . it'd be nice, perhaps, but essentially impossible.  Or not worth it.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 06:01:51 AM »
I won't even comment on how a split screen 4-Swords is the most incredibly stupid ide-

oh sh
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 09:07:03 AM »
First of all, split screens suck. Secondly, have you even played mulitplayer with this game? From your post, I take it you haven't which makes you pretty stupid for complaining about a feature you haven't even tried. The use of the GBA as a second screen is an extremely important part of the game play and it simply would not work with split screen.

Originally posted by: seen33
Playing this game also made me realize how Truly amazing a 2d Zelda game for the gamecube would be.  Im talking a regular 1 link 1-player zelda game along the sides of LTTP.

I do have to agree with this though. In a recent interview with Aonuma, he expressed that he really liked using 2.5D for Four Sword and would like to use it in more games, so there is some hope we may get a new single player Zelda on a console yet.

EDIT:  By the way, I love your new avatar elementc.
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline seen33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 10:21:19 AM »
I understand how the GBAs work and if you think it cant be done in 4 player split screen and no overhead map...

then it can be done by having the GBA sp box pop-up like it does in single player but instead 4 boxes pop-up in each corner  (1 for each player). and each player can turn his/her box off with Z just like in 1 player.  Its very possible.  Dont say it would be stupid to even think of an idia.  I bet if nintendo wanted to they could of made it that way.

Here is a mock-up I did.  The individual player screens are only 10% smaller then the one you get in single player.. And If nintendo did not include the Gameboy SP boarder,  It would give you an EVEN larger game playing area.  And keep in mind that not all 4 windows would be up all the time.. and even if they are they are then they would cover (without the boarders) even less then the window in 1-player since the center would not be covered.

Zelda 4 swords 4 player GCN mock-up
(anyway to direct link pics on this forum?)

And why knock split screens in general?  Thats what consoles are all about.  Go play PC for single screen or Xbox and PS2 which have online play, or only play games like SSBM.    

Offline elementc

• WELCOME TO EARF!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 10:23:43 AM »
Hehe... I'm pretty sure Stiker Obi is the one who made my new avatar.
Insanity... goes well with a large glass of milk.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 11:26:30 AM »

Originally posted by: seen33
Here is a mock-up I did.  The individual player screens are only 10% smaller then the one you get in single player.. And If nintendo did not include the Gameboy SP boarder,  It would give you an EVEN larger game playing area.  And keep in mind that not all 4 windows would be up all the time.. and even if they are they are then they would cover (without the boarders) even less then the window in 1-player since the center would not be covered.

Zelda 4 swords 4 player GCN mock-up
(anyway to direct link pics on this forum?)

The problem though is that it's going to block the view for any one in the over world. It would just become a huge annoyance. There's also a strategic advantage to the other gamers not being able to see what you are doing when in the GBA screen. Again, I have to ask if you've even played the multiplayer mode?

Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline seen33

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 08:06:12 AM »
"There's also a strategic advantage to the other gamers not being able to see what you are doing when in the GBA screen."

Im aware of this and this is no different then the advantage you get while playing a 4 player FPS on a console with split screen rather then playing 4 players in a FPS on the pc and each man having his own screen.  No1 complained in goldeneye that we could see each others screen.  There was no need to create some setup so we could not see each other.

As for blocking the view.  If you view is blocked...  They could have it so you push Z and It will show YOU even if your outside or inside.  Thuse letting you still walk around freely.  I have not played the multiplayer but I have seen it being played and MY Idea would work 100% except for the fact like you stated with the disadvantage for seeing other people screen.  The point im trying to get across tho Is that this game could of been possible without the GBAs.  Maybe it would not of been as "good" but at least it would of been playable,  And nintendo could of at least included this option if they really wanted too.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 02:45:27 PM »
Apparently they didn't really want to.

I just finished this, and I am thoroughly impressed.  Quite an awesome game, and I haven't even tried the multiplayer yet.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 04:28:01 PM »
You obviously don't understand how much being covering up a portion of the screen would effect multiplayer, or how much being able to see someone elses screen would matter.

The multiplayer game is INSANELY competetive, and sometimes being able to attack that lone cucko then getting into a house while the other 3 players are outside.. pure evil, completely awesome.

the biggest isseue what what your saying is the most obvious one YOUR TAKING UP SOME OF THE SCREEN.  Someone else will most likely need to see whats BEHIND that screen.  It just won't work.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2004, 06:52:58 AM »
I really recommend EVERYONE try this game multiplayer.  There are GBAs out there for 30 dollars used and go buy a couple and booyeah...multiplayer 4 swords.  Me and my roommate played it and OY....that was the most competitive game I have EVER played, especially when I took 3 Links and he just had one....BOOWHAHAH!!
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]