Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia: Scores.  (Read 11343 times)

Offline Mumei

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Tales of Symphonia: Scores.
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2004, 06:03:39 AM »
I need to get it then... I've played through Skies of Arcadia already, and I have everything, so it is rather pointless to replay it for now.  Maybe in a few years.

And this is totally of topic, but Dizzy's name makes me think of the Yoshi's Island level named "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy."  I loved that level ^_^.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2004, 06:04:22 AM »
Eh, sorry to burst your bubble, but it ships today- it won't be in stores until tomorrow.

I hate how they advertise ship dates, always getting our hopes up.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Tales of Symphonia: Scores.
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2004, 06:08:03 AM »
"lets make a bet, 10 posts say I beat it before all you guys."

I'm a 100% whore, so I guess you're probably right... ^_~
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2004, 06:14:09 AM »

lets make a bet, 10 posts say I beat it before all you guys.

Let's have a race, see who can drain all the fun out of the game the fastest!

Offline Dizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2004, 06:17:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario

hehehe your on mario!
TALES OF SYMPHONIA ROCKS!!! Why? cause DIZZY said so! wOOt!  

Offline Dizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2004, 06:18:26 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Eh, sorry to burst your bubble, but it ships today- it won't be in stores until tomorrow.

I hate how they advertise ship dates, always getting our hopes up.

Hmmm, everytime I go to a store when it comes out it is always there, oh well we will just have to wait and see.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2004, 06:23:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Dizzy

Originally posted by: Mario

hehehe your on mario!

That was a joke...I hope you didn't take that seriously... <_<

Offline Dizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2004, 06:29:40 AM »
drat, oh well I'll still beat the game before all of you, my main record for rpg games is 5 days, my record for any other game is 3. I think I'm off topic now...oh well

Offline Dizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2004, 07:21:27 AM »
well it looks like you were right, oh well until then.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2004, 08:01:48 AM »
Having to clean outdungeons is better than random encounters, after all you can at least clean out the dungeon. Also, dungeons seem more alive with monsters running around instead of empty halls with random encounters coming out of nowhere...

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2004, 08:29:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Urkel
Random battles are an archaic way of handling enemy encounters. I can tolerate them if the frequency of the battles is low, but honestly, in this day and age it should be done away with. I find that random battles tend to deter exploration. I mean, you might see a treasure chest across the room, but is it really worth 5 minutes of fighting just to get some crappy potion? Usually not.

Also, random battles really piss me off when I get lost. Sometimes, after a long battle, I might forget which way I was headed. Once I realize I'm going in the wrong direction and turn around, I have to fight another battle.

Random battles also just don't make any sense. It's completely illogical why you can keep getting in fights simply by running around in circles in an empty room.

Anyway, I see random battles as being the lazy way out. If they actually had to place enemies in a level, then that would require some actual thought and level design. They would actually have to spend some time deciding where to place enemies, which enemies to put where, etc...

I couldn't believe IGN's review of TOS actually complained about being able to avoid random encounters. "Oh noes! Making the game less tedious is the terribles!"

Thats actually why I love random battles, if i want to get an item, then I have to work for it.  I absolutely HATE having to run into enemies for them to fight me, makes training take FAR too long, espicially in games where you have to leave the map and come back for more enemies.  

Sure, random battles are annoying at times, but theyre supposed to be, Its not like you *have* to fight them, every game i know of with random battles has a "repellent" of some sorts.  

*shrugs* suppose i'm just lazy

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2004, 08:56:57 AM »
"Sure, random battles are annoying at times, but theyre supposed to be"

A good game is never "annoying".  They can be difficult or challenging but you should never be irritated by a game.  If you can see the damn enemies you get a choice: fight everything in sight or don't.  With random battles you don't get that option.  So I suppose if you always want to fight everything in sight you like random battles but it's pretty selfish to want developers to cater just to you and not give the rest of us the option.

Ideally though if I made an RPG you would be able to see all the enemies but I would include the option to make the battles random just to satisfy everyone and make insane purists shut up.  How odd that by including a non-user friendly mode I would be making a more user-friendly game.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2004, 09:06:38 AM »
Have you played any of the Mega Man games?  Or Ikaruga?  Or Viewtiful Joe?  Those games can all be frustrating, regardless of how incredible they are.  Or are you only referring to RPGs and the "random battles" aspect of it.  And they are annoying.  If I want to get into a battle to gain experience, I can run around for 5 minutes without getting into a battle.  If I don't want a battle, I can hardly go three steps without getting into a battle.  I have absolutely terrible luck >_<.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2004, 09:13:39 AM »
What you are facing in the games you mentioned is challenge and a necessity...Random battles, on the otherhand, are pointless and are needlessly added to add gametime...

And don't get me started on the horrendous luck I have in games, because I would rather not get into it... ;__;

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2004, 10:26:59 AM »
"Have you played any of the Mega Man games? Or Ikaruga? Or Viewtiful Joe? Those games can all be frustrating, regardless of how incredible they are."

I never find playing those games irritating though even if they are hard.  It's mostly because I have a lot more control I guess.  It's not random luck that determines how hard something is.  I know I have to dodge this or jump this.  I don't have random occurances that determine the difficulty.  If I die it's because I screwed up not because I got attacked by too many invisible enemies before I reached the save point.  In Ikuraga I get farther in the game every time I play.  In RPGs with random battles most of the time I get stuck in a situation where I don't have enough health to get back to the inn without getting killed by random enemies.  If I'm stuck in that situation no amount of skill can save me.  That situation should NEVER happen in any game.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2004, 10:32:28 AM »
I know it is because I screwed up .  I just get frustrated at myself for being stupid and the games can then become infuriating... Yet I come back for more .

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2004, 10:51:38 AM »

n RPGs with random battles most of the time I get stuck in a situation where I don't have enough health to get back to the inn without getting killed by random enemies. If I'm stuck in that situation no amount of skill can save me. That situation should NEVER happen in any game.

Oddly enough, that has *NEVER* happened to me in any RPG i've played.  You are aware that you *CAN* run from random battles, right?  Or perhaps buy healing items beforehand?   Maybe think ahead because its generally obvious WHEN your going to get into a random battle, and if you aren't strong enough for the area.. then TRAIN.

I don't think i have ever lost to random battles in an RPG unless I was playing incredibly poorly, and i know for a fact that wasn't because "the battles were random" it was because of poor planning and basicly being stupid.  

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2004, 10:54:06 AM »
It has happened to me once... I was playing LLG in FFIX and it is almost impossible to run away in that game without using flee >_<.  I didn't have Zidane with me... It took forever to get to my destination; walk 2 steps, save, walk 2 steps, save, repeat >_<.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2004, 11:06:33 AM »
"You are aware that you *CAN* run from random battles, right?"

No you can't.  Any game I've been stuck in has a like 0.01% chance of a successful run.  And if you run away you just get killed by the first battle you encounter that it won't let you run away from.  I'm talking about situations where you've ran out of healing items and magic.  I should be able to get out of that using my own skill.  I CAN'T in an RPG with random battles which is why random battles suck.  I shouldn't have to restart a 50+ hour game because I made a mistake and forgot to check how many healing items I have.  If it's possible for that to happen the game is worthless sh!t.

Anyone who supports random battles has no arguement.  You are all just stuck in this little formula that you like that you don't want RPGs to move out of.  The best arguement for random battles I've ever heard is "I like it and don't want it to change so there."

RPG is the only genre where fans support archaeic design.  You never hear platformer fans talking about how much they miss blind leaps of faith or FPS fans talking about how they miss the days where you couldn't aim up or down.

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2004, 11:10:02 AM »

In RPGs with random battles most of the time I get stuck in a situation where I don't have enough health to get back to the inn without getting killed by random enemies. If I'm stuck in that situation no amount of skill can save me. That situation should NEVER happen in any game.

LOL. This is apparently because you suck at RPG's.

Half the difficulty in RPGs was that you didn't have total control, so you had to be prepared for random occurances. It made them challenging. Sure you might be able to make it to a particular chest in a dungeon, but you also had to have the stregth to get out then too. It required you to spend a lot of time building up your team, and hence, you got attached to them without the need for these crappy love stories and horrible dramas that seem to plague RPG's anymore.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2004, 12:25:19 PM »
"Half the difficulty in RPGs was that you didn't have total control"

And because you aren't in total control I feel that the point in the adventure is pretty moot...You should be able to choose not only where you go, but what and how often you fight...

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2004, 12:34:31 PM »
Which is why Tales of Symphonia and games like Morrowind are good: because you can see and avoid enemies but fi you aren't good enough they will ge you anyway.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2004, 12:38:39 PM »

RPG is the only genre where fans support archaeic design. You never hear platformer fans talking about how much they miss blind leaps of faith or FPS fans talking about how they miss the days where you couldn't aim up or down.

I dunno, being able to aim up and down made the games more complex- I preferred just going around shooting in Doom I/II and Wolfenstein 3D. Still the best FPS's ever.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2004, 12:40:33 PM »
"I dunno, being able to aim up and down made the games more complex- I preferred just going around shooting in Doom I/II and Wolfenstein 3D."

Quiet.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2004, 02:29:21 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill
"Half the difficulty in RPGs was that you didn't have total control"

And because you aren't in total control I feel that the point in the adventure is pretty moot...You should be able to choose not only where you go, but what and how often you fight...

Choosing when and how often you fight ruins the RPG experience for me.

But, i suppose views can differ, I just prefer plain ol' random battles to anything else.  Simple, Easy, not nearly as aggrivating in the long run.   I actually find it faster as well, as I can worry about WHERE I need to get to, instead of where i can go so i can get into another fight.   I hate having to go out of my way to fight an enemy, I prefer just getting through a dungeon, random battling and getting all the chests, then right before the end sitting and training till i see no reason too anymore.  Then i take on the boss and move on.