Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia: Scores.  (Read 11342 times)

Offline Kasceis

• Larger than Life Living Legend
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Tales of Symphonia: Scores.
« on: July 06, 2004, 06:53:57 PM »
Gamespot: 8.8
IGN: 8.5

TOS got pretty good scores which is expected from all the good news we've been hearing.

Lets go July 13th!
~\_-I am the-_/~
~\_-UnderRated-_/~
 ~\_-All Forgotton-_/~
  ~\_-Kids who made it-_/~

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
RE:Tales of Symphonia: Scores.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 07:49:04 PM »
Almost there...I am a tremendous clownboat. (ahahaha sorry, but I've just always wanted to use that )
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Tales of Symphonia: Scores.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 09:24:12 PM »
Hm, what scores are other RPGs given? I have a feeling they're lowering the number on purpose because it's anime as opposed to realism and on the GC instead of the PS2... Or maybe they just upped the numbers for PS2 RPGs...

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 09:33:34 PM »
just use http://www.gamerankings.com for comparing scores.
or http://www.metacritic.com (less total, better interface also has Music and movies)
http://www.gametab.com also has the same function, but its pride and joy is the fact its a customizable news hub on the front page, and i'm pimping this site because its quite honestly the most useful site i've ever found when it comes to videogame news.

Overall, i've been seeing good scores for Tales, I'm curious what i'll be giving it....  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 09:43:37 PM »
Daisy's frothing demand for this game increases.  Good girl.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 01:20:38 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Hm, what scores are other RPGs given? I have a feeling they're lowering the number on purpose because it's anime as opposed to realism and on the GC instead of the PS2... Or maybe they just upped the numbers for PS2 RPGs...

Hit the nail on the head.

8.something = bomb

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 03:49:56 AM »
Tales on PS2 would get a 10...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 05:49:08 AM »
Is it just me, or has no Gamecube game gotten "Editor's Choice" ever since Mario Kart got such a low score back in November?

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 06:28:58 AM »
If I may say so, I think 8.5 is a very good score.  Of course, the problem is, IGN scores everything pretty high, so yeah, it does seem like they're giving Tales of Symphonia a hard time.  It will be interesting to see what scores  the PS2 version gets if it comes to the U.S.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 07:20:11 AM »
I think it's a frame of reference thing.  To us Tales of Symphonia seems like a really big deal because it's pretty much the first major exclusive Cube RPG.  If you own a Cube and you like RPGs you're buying this game.  So to us this a major game.  To a general gamer who also owns a PS2 it's not.  Realistically this title would be lost in the shuffle on the PS2.  So to us we're more likely to give it a higher score than someone who plays a new RPG every month.  It's like how to a Genesis owner Eternal Champions was a big deal because they didn't have Street Fighter II at the time.

I think this shows how smart Namco was in releasing this title for the Cube.  As one of only a few Cube RPGs it has received a lot of attention.  There's no better way to compete with Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior than to go to where they aren't.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 09:44:25 AM »
Erm, the game sold cubes, so there must be a demand for it even among the non-RPG-starved crowd...

From what I've read so far the game is pretty good even compared to other RPGs, especially since it has a combat system that's actually fun (Oy! Rarity!). I hope it doesn't turn out like Harvest Moon which I eagerly anticipated just to play it 2 hours and shelve it. I'm not sure how valid my oppinions on the game will be to others, I never played any traditional RPG more modern than Skies (there were a few MMORPGs and unconventional RPGs, though).

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 02:57:58 PM »
THE TWO COMMANDMENTS.

1.  Don't trust IGN.
2.  Refer to #1.

~~~~~

Daisy's frothing demand for this game increases x3.

EXP +10
DEF +5
STR +7
FROTH +52

I love it when she froths like that.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 04:42:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
THE TWO COMMANDMENTS.

1.  Don't trust IGN.
2.  Refer to #1.

Indeed.  This is IGN that gave FFX-2, a softcore pr0n game, a 9.5.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 07:10:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I think it's a frame of reference thing.  To us Tales of Symphonia seems like a really big deal because it's pretty much the first major exclusive Cube RPG.  If you own a Cube and you like RPGs you're buying this game.  So to us this a major game.  To a general gamer who also owns a PS2 it's not.  Realistically this title would be lost in the shuffle on the PS2.  So to us we're more likely to give it a higher score than someone who plays a new RPG every month.  It's like how to a Genesis owner Eternal Champions was a big deal because they didn't have Street Fighter II at the time.

I think this shows how smart Namco was in releasing this title for the Cube.  As one of only a few Cube RPGs it has received a lot of attention.  There's no better way to compete with Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior than to go to where they aren't.

I actually agree with you for once Ian.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 09:31:03 AM »
AiAi: Famitsu gave X-2 40 points, IIRC. Square must be throwing moneyhats left and right. Or the game WAS good.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2004, 12:00:08 PM »
I agree with Ian about this RPG being a bigger deal to us than to PS2 fans, but it seems like the game's scores were still a lot better in Japan.  Of course, Halo's scores were probably a lot better here than in Japan, so it's all personal taste, isn't it?  I read IGN's review and I think the score was pretty well defended.  I'm still buying the game though.  I need RPGs!

That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2004, 04:34:57 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
AiAi: Famitsu gave X-2 40 points, IIRC. Square must be throwing moneyhats left and right. Or the game WAS good.

I've played FFX-2. All I have to say is this. A great battle system in a terrible game. Kinda of like Grandia Xtreme. I like the battle system but the rest of the game is dissappointing. FFX-2 isn't really a bad game but its an embarrassment to its precursor. FFX was the first FF game I truly enjoyed since FF6. FFX-2 bastardized FFX just by being its sequel.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2004, 10:56:02 PM »
I must say I was hoping for slightly higher scores. At least a 9.0. Especially considering that Japanese gamers voted it the most satisfying game experience of 2003.

I think it's just a bunch of little things that are dragging down the score. Like the mediocre voice acting, the need to level up for bosses, etc...

I guess I was just expecting reviewers to be a little more lenient with these little flaws, considering that the game is actually supposed to be FUN. How often do you hear that descriptor for an RPG? Not often. Even for RPGs that get really high scores (FF8).

But I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. I just hope the game sells well. Then, Namco should port Tales of Eternia to the Cube in the U.S., just to stick it to Sony for not licensing the game for some insane reason.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2004, 02:14:48 AM »
July 13th? More like July 13th 2005. Oh wai-

"Sorry, not enough bump mapping on the title screen" - IGN

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2004, 02:02:19 PM »
I haven't played FFX2, is it really as bad as u say?  What makes it bad?  And why do u think it's a softcore pron game?

That fact that u said it though is hilarious!

Don't forget IGN gave Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball a 9.2 and yet they gave BG&E a 9.0 wtf?

So according to their review scores, they think DOA is better than BG&E, and DOA is only 0.4 points from being the equal of Wind Waker which got a 9.6.

I don't even want to compare DOA score to ToS score, lol, their xbox channel is so $@%!# up!

Their ratings jump up and down and are just way off.  Absolutely horrible review crew.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2004, 05:29:04 PM »
To top it off, they get paid for what they do.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2004, 10:42:51 PM »
Errrrrm, ShaolinKilla, in the upper regions of the scoring field point values increase exponentially. The difference betwen 9.1 and 9.2 is MUCH greater than the difference between 5.0 and 5.1. 9.2 is "great", 9.6 is "closing in on perfection" (may differ depending on the source, but that's usually how it works).

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2004, 12:41:20 AM »
Yeah that's nice and all im just saying how the hell do they justify DOA Volleyball score.  My friend has it and he hates playing it, but well u know why he plays it, lol.

I guess if the only thing i could give them a good rating for is the fact that the graphics are very well done and there are a lot of unlockables and stuff, but the gameplay and mechanics and the fact the only real reason to play the game is to unlock skimpy clothing is a cheap aspect of the game.

Seriously as a gamer does anyone here believe DOA volleyball should get a near perfect score?

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2004, 12:43:07 AM »

Originally posted by: ShaolinKilla
I haven't played FFX2, is it really as bad as u say?  What makes it bad?  And why do u think it's a softcore pron game?

That fact that u said it though is hilarious!

I referred FFX-2 to that b/c Yuna is ugly and Rikku are scantly clad.  I'm willing to bet Square used that as it's selling point.  Add the fact it's a cash-in sequel, and I bet if Nintendo did a similar thing, everyone would be bad-mouthing them left and right.  And what's with a pop singer being a class?  O_o

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2004, 01:51:43 AM »
I've seen DOA Volleyboob with the "birthday suit" hack.  It doesn't deserve such a high score.  It looks better without the hack.