Author Topic: Publishers going to pass on DS because its DS  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Pikkcuber

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Publishers going to pass on DS because its DS
« on: June 27, 2004, 04:28:49 PM »
What ive been reading in magizines and on the net and from what i hear publishers might pass on the DS for a bad reason.  They cant think of a good use for the second screen. There going to pass on marketing good titles to the DS because of that.  Nintendo cant think of good uses for it but they still are releasing games on that platform and are putting maps and stuff that arent really of much use.  What ninty should do is make an on/off switch for one of both of the screens to say that if you dont want two screens and its not a necisity in the game you dont have to have two screens.  That should said a good message to the developers.  Of course the developers could be saying that because they dont really want to support the DS and they want an excuse.
PikkCuber

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
RE: Publishers going to pass on DS because its DS
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 05:10:49 PM »
I don't think you've read much then. I don't think I've read ANYTHING that even parellels any of the points you're trying to make.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 05:35:51 PM »
So who is saying this?

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 12:28:10 PM »
that is a good idea though, to turn off one of the screens when you dont need it, that would save a lot of battery power.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Head Shot

• View Profile
RE:Publishers going to pass on DS because its DS
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 07:32:47 AM »
I don't think its a good idea, tell you the truth, the second touch-screen is all i've been waiting for, it's what puts the DS above the PSP There's so much they can do with it, if you saw at E3 they had a game with the blobs in pac-man and you were sopposed to draw pac-man to eat them, that was inginuity if you ask me, i think Nintendo will do great and wonderful things with the DS

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 07:52:59 AM »
yeah head shot I definately agree with you, but you probably know that some games only use the second screen for maps and stuff like that, if the screens had an on/off switch then you could turn off a screen if you do not need it, and save battery power.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 09:51:17 AM »
Or have the game do that. Games that only use the touch screen, for example, could conserve battery power that way.

Offline Head Shot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 08:55:27 AM »
Yay good point, i guess

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 10:27:08 AM »
Or have the game just not use one of the screens.  Can't it automatically just not use the second screen if it plans to use one screen?  Those are the games they will only want money for.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 12:04:33 PM »
That will probably happen with the GBA games.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 09:41:48 PM »
If the second screen isn't used but powered you could still save power by turning it off.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 05:41:27 AM »
I think Nintendo will think beyond that.  If it doesn't use the second screen it just has to automatically not use it at all.  The on/off would be great if it was optional.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline CasualGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 09:42:50 AM »
So has Nintnedo actually shown us anything revolutionary about having a second screen?

NO.

Has any game devs. come foward and shown us what they plan to do with the second screen  other than maps etc?

NO

I knew it was bullsh*t from the start and would just end up as another one of Nintendo's failed gimmicks, right up there with connectivity. LOL

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 09:44:51 AM »
Anything revolutionary about the PSP?

NO

It's unfair to judge one thing and not the other, don't you think?  Oh wait, I forgot I'm dealing with a fanboy...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline CasualGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 11:06:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill

NO

It's unfair to judge one thing and not the other, don't you think?  Oh wait, I forgot I'm dealing with a fanboy...

Have Sony said it will change gaming? Nope, they said it will play games, music and movies. And guess what? IT DOES!

Nintendo on the other hand are making out that trhe dual screen is going to change the way we live our lives when all it does is show a map

The only fanboy here is you for not admiting that the DS is shite. Shite graphics, babyish games, 'oh look at me stroke a pokemon with my stick' sad. Looks ugly, like a fuckin' brick that a child sprayed with silver paint.

Touch screen? ha,ha,ha,ha. Thats totally crap.  

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2004, 11:09:24 AM »
^  this guy's good
I'll shut up now...

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2004, 11:11:44 AM »

Originally posted by: CasualGamer
The only fanboy here is you for not admiting that the DS is shite. Shite graphics, babyish games, 'oh look at me stroke a pokemon with my stick' sad. Looks ugly, like a fuckin' brick that a child sprayed with silver paint.

so I guess Metroid Hunters is "Babyish."  Well if the Ds is babyish like you say it is, then you are in the perfect demographic for it.

Also I am 17, am I a baby because I am gonna buy the DS?

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2004, 11:58:16 AM »

Originally posted by: CasualGamer

NO

Have Sony said it will change gaming? Nope, they said it will play games, music and movies. And guess what? IT DOES!

Yes it plays PS2 games, plays music that you can play with an iPod, CD or any other sound system and plays movies like a DVD or VHS player.

So why spend so much on it if it doesn't do anything you can't alraedy do.

Offline soulfate

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2004, 02:49:02 PM »
I'm pretty disappointed that one whole screen in Metroid Prime: Hunters is dedicated to just a map. It could've been used in a much better way...
The hardware is a great idea and everything's in place for revolutionary games, but it's still the developers way they use it that'll make or break the DS. I'll be getting one either way.  

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2004, 05:20:42 PM »

NO

Well wouldn't you be a Zelda fanboy?  Kidding .

And no the PSP is not revolutionary.  But it doesn't claim to be.  Nintendo claimed that the DS would actually change things, and not just in a small way; actually being revolutionary.  The DS still has to prove how the second screen will be utilized to be truly revolutionary and not just a gimmick.  Not saying it can't happen, but they've yet to show anything that would convince me.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2004, 10:03:53 PM »
Firstly, CasualGamer, I find your name perfect for the kind of market the PlayStation caters to.
Not that theres anything wrong with that, just thought that was amusing is all.

I want to point out tho bro, the DS hasn't been released yet. You havent played any of its games. Neither have I. Why cant we both just reserve the name-calling and ridicule of inanimate objects till after release? It might very well turn out to have very good games...it remains to be seen. Smarter heads than yours or mine are working on making games for it afterall.

Secondly, we must all realize....its unrealistic to expect every game in the DS lineup to use two screens. Yes, the Dual Screens are the systems most noticeable attribute....but what it comes down to is that Dual Screens are a feature of the hardware for developers to take advantage of if they so choose. Same goes for touch screen, voice recognition, wiFi, multiboot, etc.  This is why DS stands for Developer's System.

-Blackknight131

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2004, 02:07:54 AM »
Blatantly stolen from a Slashdot post:

"Hey, I have this fantastic new technology! Think of all the possibilities!"
"No! The fact that you cannot immediately enumerate all of the possibilities of this technology clearly means it's crap!"
"But..."
"NO!"

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2004, 10:20:29 AM »
First i heard metroid Hunters no longers supports the touch screen shooting system.  The only thing im concerened with is that although the draw the pacman game loooks pretty cool could this become a game that anyone will shell out bucks for?
PikkCuber

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2004, 10:44:50 AM »
MH still supports the stylus, they just added another control scheme involving only the buttons and dpad. You can chose which one to take.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2004, 01:21:05 PM »
They should make a bundle that includes:

Pictochat
Pac Man draving game
The Balloon Game

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2004, 05:21:21 PM »
I am not sure Pikkcuber, but the draw pac-man game may have only been an E3 demo. (somebody correct me if I am wrong)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2004, 07:05:41 PM »
I'm sure it'll be a minigame of some sort for a larger game...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2004, 11:39:52 PM »
That's why I think they should bundle all the demos together onto one thing.