Author Topic: NDS: a big confusing mistake?  (Read 11628 times)

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: NDS: a big confusing mistake?
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2004, 04:20:02 PM »
"Nintendofan, I recall Miyamoto-san saying that the gameplay was the most important in those days, when the picture and sound was not so evolved. So with all that focus on super powered consoles on the competition side, I think that is very wrong. They spend mega-fortunes on pumping up the graphics and animations to such a level, and yet most of those games fall short on the gameplay side. Except a few, like Halo for instance. Do they think that Nintendo can´t make games like Halo? Just look at Metroid! Or Geist! Nintendo can make what they like, and the ones they don´t make, they don´t want to make. Like Grand Theft Auto, which they consider to be a dead end street (too violent):"

Your right, I can understand why Nintendo would want to show graphics now, but let's not underestimate the power of gameplay. But for now, lets us just agree that Nintendo has yet to show either of those in most of there commericals?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2004, 03:52:21 PM »
I think the SP will continue to sell very well even after the DS is out, it's still one hell of a handheld, and a lot cheaper (presumably) than DS.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2004, 06:27:00 PM »
Fatmitsu was thinking that the DS would be pretty close in price to the SP.  Of course nothing is confirmed, but that would be a dream and would definitely cut into the SPs sales.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
RE:NDS: a big confusing mistake?
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2004, 09:59:39 AM »
The Nintendo DS is supposed to launch at $199,00, while the PSP is said to be around $300,00.

I found one interesting article over at IGN, putting the Nintendo DS head-to-head with the Sony PSP.

The article shows why the Nintendo DS has more than a fighting chance against the Sony PSP and is defintely worth reading (look on page 2, middle, for what I see as the most interesting comparison between the two handhelds)

DS Vs. PSP  
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2004, 11:19:42 AM »

Originally posted by: odifiend
Fatmitsu was thinking that the DS would be pretty close in price to the SP.  Of course nothing is confirmed, but that would be a dream and would definitely cut into the SPs sales.

Well there *is* a rumor that the SP's price will be cut when the DS hits stores...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2004, 05:24:04 PM »
The main reason I don't believe the official line about it not being a replacement is the fact that it plays GBA games.  Why get a GBA when you can get a DS?  It really does seem like a replacement, regardless of what Nintendo says about it.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2004, 10:01:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Mumei
The main reason I don't believe the official line about it not being a replacement is the fact that it plays GBA games.  Why get a GBA when you can get a DS?  It really does seem like a replacement, regardless of what Nintendo says about it.

My theory is that Nintendo is indeed working on a "True Successor" to the GBA, but only as a plan B. If the DS tanks and the PSP succeeds, that will show to Nintendo that all gamers really care about is pretty graphics and FMV and stuff.

Then, they would release the "true" iteration to the Gameboy dynasty. It would exceed the graphical quality of the PSP, and would use some sort of mini-disc of its own. It wouldn't have any of the really innovative stuff the DS has like touch-screen, since gamers didn't care about those features. Remember, I'm talking hypothetical here.

So basically, Nintendo calling the DS the "third pillar" is just to save face should anything go awry. I'm sure that if the DS does succeed, you can start calling it the second pillar, and that it would really be the successor to the GBA.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2004, 02:09:38 AM »
The DS doesn't do everything the GBA SP does, for one thing it does't fit into a pocket as easily.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2004, 07:33:51 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
The DS doesn't do everything the GBA SP does, for one thing it does't fit into a pocket as easily.

That's a rather weak example of how it can't do things that the SP can.  That does not really matter.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2004, 07:13:28 PM »
Oh, it DOES matter. Many people don't want to wear a bag or something tjust to carry around a DS or PSP. Some may think the DS' features are pointless, they can stay with the GBA (after all, who wats a PSP if it NGages?).

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2004, 10:20:49 PM »
Thats a very good point, it is very likely that many people will elect to stay with the GBA SP if they arent compelled by Nintendo's software offerings....the SP itself really isnt that old afterall and its a great lil piece of hardware.

-Blackknight131

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2004, 07:16:42 AM »
Yes, Nintendo is really going to have to show us compelling software to make us drop the GBA SP. One other thing they should do, is to launch the NDS with carrying bag ´which can be strapped onto ones belt making for easy carrying around. It is notably bigger than the GBA SP, mind.

Back to software, if there is no analogue joystick, how will they convince people to buy it when there is only 3D games available to play? I really love Nintendo, but sometimes they seem a little out of place. Why didn´t they just put an analogue joystick on the NDS from the start? You simply can´t play, say, Metroid, on that machine if you have to both hold the thing and use the lower touch-screen. Nobody could stand holding it in public and manipulating the touchscreen as well as using other controlls in a multiplayer gameevent! It would both feel and look stupid. I hope they hear the wake-up call and show us they have learned to listen to the people they want to play their games!

There has been several issues in the past where Nintendo was not listening to the Third-party developers and it made them hurt in the sales of the GameCube, and now that I hear that Nintendo has denied the developement of soundfiles for games by thirdparty developers/co-developers I start to worry if they really have learned anything or if they consider their own business-politics more important than the developer needs! This could hurt the sales of the NDS!

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2004, 07:42:46 AM »
"Why didn´t they just put an analogue joystick on the NDS from the start?"

Does noone listen?  I've said this a bunch of times already...Joysticks get loose...Then what will you do?  It's not like a controller that you can replace...

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2004, 11:55:09 AM »
I've had my Nintendo 64 for a long time now, and the control stick is no where near loose.  And I played it a lot.  

Having no control stick will make playing games in the vein of OoT or SM64 very, very difficult.  Those games benefitted greatly from the increased control given by the control stick.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2004, 12:29:09 PM »
Uh, it's not like you don't have full 3-dimensional movement and that you can only walk in 4 directions...

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2004, 01:14:37 PM »
Perhaps they could make an unscrewable stick, so the unit can still fold-up when not in use. Nintendo could make a killing on replacement sticks @ $9.99 each
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2004, 01:39:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill
Uh, it's not like you don't have full 3-dimensional movement and that you can only walk in 4 directions...

Give me a break.  I know that the games will still be in 3D.  But a control stick is superior for 3D games, and not having one makes control more difficult.  You cannot use the ability to tilt slightly to walk slowly or hold it all the way over to run.  

So I don't know how you think you are countering what I said.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2004, 01:55:10 PM »
Before going commando on me I think you should wait and see how the D-pad of the DS will handle 3d games hands-on...

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2004, 02:25:25 PM »

I've had my Nintendo 64 for a long time now, and the control stick is no where near loose.  And I played it a lot.  

if you ever get a new controller or a friend of yours does, compare the joy sticks, you might be surprised.  
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2004, 07:32:47 PM »
Many of the accounts of the DS prototype at E3 mentioned that the D-pad and face buttons were rather lackluster...and small. Hopefully this turns out to be simply because the hardware was unfinished.
I look forward to the final hardware unveiling and I hope the controls are improved...those small face buttons in particular dont look pleasantly tactile at all...

-Blackknight131

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2004, 08:56:34 PM »

Give me a break.  I know that the games will still be in 3D.  But a control stick is superior for 3D games, and not having one makes control more difficult.  You cannot use the ability to tilt slightly to walk slowly or hold it all the way over to run.  

So I don't know how you think you are countering what I said.

Perhaps they can do it like how they did it in the older Mario games, ie. hold a button to run.  I know that I won't mind doing that.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2004, 10:27:52 AM »
The PC has lots of games that are played with digital control, so what?

Offline reverend_tod

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2004, 04:45:04 PM »
Nintendo is not Sony and would not make a product that is more than likely to break.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2004, 07:14:40 AM »
Using the arrows on the keyboard is not the same as using a + control pad.  Do you play many PC games?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2004, 07:52:06 AM »
Yes yes, I know that keys are superior to dpads (try playing Cho Ren Sha or TUMIKI Fighters with a dpad...), but I had no problems playing the few pad-controllable games with a gamepad.