Author Topic: ps3/xbox to get crush by GC2?  (Read 17862 times)

Offline boggy b

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
ps3/xbox to get crush by GC2?
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2003, 07:39:40 AM »
PS2 has a dual-processor, and look how it ended up!

Oh wait, it's #1 in sales worldwide...
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2003, 09:25:56 AM »
well all i know is that nintendo is not going to name their system gamecube 2
the reason- look at all of their other systems (excluding gameboy)
they all have diffent names although they have nintendo in them (which is a given)
now as for nintendo becoming #1 again- its hard to say
but why argue over fan bases
nintendo does make the most money off of their consols because they make them to play GAMES ONLY
although a lot of people see this as a downfall, i think it is what the game companies should do
and there is no denying that nintendo is the best game maker in the world as they have the best game designer in the world (Miyamoto)
can they get back on track- i think yes
they are doing good things now such as better advertising, game developement time, deals on their system
all i hope is that they just stay in the game industry to make those games
i know nintendo will never go 3rd party- they make too much $$ to do that now
hopefully nintendo with their new actions will pave the way to a good future
i call the big one bitey.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2003, 10:25:16 AM »
The title just sounds like wishful thinking to me...

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2003, 11:01:19 AM »
I don't think Myamoto is the best games designer in the world. I think Hideo Kojima's games are better, personally.

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2003, 12:26:45 PM »
Nintendo Cubed   seems to fit it very well.

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2003, 02:14:14 AM »
I think they'll probably design it and then give it a name, like before we found out that GCN was vaguely cubed shaped it was referred to as its codename, Dolphin.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2003, 08:03:06 AM »
Kojima-san said he looks up to Miyamoto-san however...which puts your opinion in a stranglehold.
Metal Gear solid is probably  the game with the best integration of storyline into the game...its gameplay however is very derivative. Still their both great game designers.

my top game designers
Shigeru Miyamoto
Hideo Kojima
Eiji Aonoma
Yu Suzaki
Yuji Naka
Dennis Dyack
Hironabu Sakaguchi
John Carmack
Ed Boon
John Tobias
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline JoeFalco

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2003, 05:40:51 AM »
That's a good list of game designers. 8)  Miyamoto is still at the top of my list.

Anyway, I can't predict the future of the three companies because I can't.  I can only hope Nintendo will continue to make the best games out there with some competition out there.  Competition is very good and healthy for all of us gamers out there who want these companies to have a little incentive to grab our attention (and our wallets as well) with what they have to offer.

And I hope Square will support more games for Nintendo in the near future like Final Fantasy Chronicles.
The sun never sets...on those who ride into it.  We just gotta keep going!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2003, 12:39:50 PM »
Shigeru Miyamoto is amazing.  He and the other folk at Nintendo are geniuses.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2003, 03:50:18 PM »

I don't think Myamoto is the best games designer in the world. I think Hideo Kojima's games are better, personally.

Kojima has one game I like, MGS. Butchering MGS2 didn't really help my opinion either. Your PS2-bias is showing

Oh yeah, and ZOE is pretty cool.

Top Designers...
Shigeru Miyamoto
Roberta Williams
Lori, and Cori Cole.

Those aren't in any particular order.

I can't, seem to think of anymore, I know there are few more, though.

Kojima is one of my "Worth noting". I won't list all these, there aren't alot, but I am lazy.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2003, 08:43:10 AM »
Jumping back on track, from the last Sony statements I read concerning their next console, they're going to make two versions. One will be an all-in-one entertainment system. They can afford to do this and charge quite a bit for it (helping to ensure quality and curtail losses on hardware) because the other version of the next system is a gaming-only machine that will be a budget version specifically for gaming. This is a great idea in my opinion. They get the "Cool" rating with their high dollar machine that a lot of people will give their left leg for, and then everyone else that just wants a games machine can save on the cost of the hardware and buy a game or two more.

I don't know if this is true anymore, but I bet it is. The best thing I'm hearing about the PS3 (which may also be false) is the internal design and how it's supposed to carry portions of programming on board internally. That's supposed to F up developers when it comes to porting games to other consoles, but I'm crossing my fingers it totally backfires and causes programmers to shun the PS3. Companies looking to be multi-platform may have problems with the way programming works on the PS3. If Nintendo and/or Microsoft can jump on Sony early and give them a hard fight, it won't be so hard for programmers to part with Sony, but once that userbase starts to swell for Sony kiss it goodbye if no one has nailed them before the first year.

Someone was mentioning that Sony had to F up in the N64-cartridge proportions. Right there it is if they do go on to do this. That's the screw up you and I are watching for.    

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2003, 01:17:54 PM »
hey does nintendo really need to put a DVD player in their next system to make it appeal to a wider audience. many people who have game systems also have DVD players. i do and i certainly dont want to pay an extra $50-100 for something i dont need.

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2003, 01:42:43 PM »
One thing that Xbox did well in this generation was to offer games with high-definition display and dolby digital-encoded audio. But, neither was a standard feature. In the upcoming generation, many more televisions will be high definition, optical media will be able to hold much more data, and surround sound sets keep on supporting more and more audio channels. I think that one surefire way that Nintendo can kick butt in the next generation is to make their next system have support for insanely high resolutions, and to premiere with full 8.1 surround sound capability (maybe using Dolby Pro-Logic "III" or something to that effect, since Xbox 2 is likely to go with Dolby Surround EX).

Until we know how to make immersive holographic environments or Matrix-esque mind-gaming, videogames will still be limited to audio and televised video. So why not make this current format as kick-ass as possible?

edit: and Rich, Nintendo may do something similar, but it wouldn't be dvd support that's for sure.
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2003, 12:13:35 AM »

Originally posted by: )Dark-LInk(
i think the NEXUS name rumour is a good name for the "gc2"but other wil be like

Nintendo GAMECUBE ADVANCE  

Nintendo 96(lame but it sounds kool)

Nintendo GameStation

im thinking of more but out of al these the NEXUS wil fit the most....

Gamestation... ewwwww...too ps2 sounding
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Jainmb925

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2003, 05:48:27 AM »
   Anyone that doesn't agree with this person, can't see the forest for the trees!  He/or she has a point and I'm overjoyed that someone finally said something about it

The main picture that everyone seems to be forgeting is that Nintendo unlike Sony/ Microsoft, is a "gaming company".  Not an electronic company with a b* console on the side.  These guys started the whole gaming industry while Microsoft had Apple, and Sony had VCR's.  

The point is that gaming cosoles are made for games, not all that other crap that they try to beef up their sales with.  You by a cosole for the usage of games only, and if your smart you buy nintendo consoles, because they are the best.  Unlike the rest who have to have extra goodies to get buyers.

Bottom line, nintendo rules over anyother and you my friend can take that to the bank.

Or shall I say Nintendo...........!!!!

P*S* -  If you don't agree here's some evidence for you,  Mario and The Legand of Zelda.  I rest my case
~Unfathomable is the true quantity of my repertoire owed to my cognizance, puissance, and dexterousness~

Offline Samwise Gamgee

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2003, 12:19:57 PM »
i dont feel likre reading this whole post but...

no matter what, people will buy the ps3 no matter what! no matter what, it will most likely sell the best even if it is more expensive! and people will look at those extra features and will think its more advanced b/c of it!!! people will not flock to nintendo b/c it doesnt have all the rest of those features! believe it or not, i kno alot of ppl who have chosen the ps2 over gc cuz of the DVD, its a selling point!

developers will not flock to nintendo b/c the other systems have all these extras that have nothing to do with the games! they will probibly even use these extras for their advantage!

and also! if more ppl buy the PS3, more developers will makes games for the system no matter what! hell, if GC, xbox, and ps2 were all equal right now, and the developers could just pick and choose which system to make their game for, do u think they would choose ps2 as their #1 choice? hell no, its the hardest system to develop for and the results are much less then what can be done on the others!

but since PS2 had a comanding lead, there is no choice but to make the game on the ps2, cuz even though they may may have it easier making the game for something else, the PS2 is where the money is!
"I made a promise! A promis; Don't you leave him Samewise Gamgee, and i don't mean to, i don't mean to!"

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2003, 12:52:19 PM »
That sounds familiar... hmmm... isn't that what people said during the N64's livespan?  

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2003, 07:34:38 PM »
Kennyb27 pointed out to me that Nintendo intends to launch their console in 2005...only 2 years away. I just finished reading Jonny's editorial on a possible Gamecube upgrade, but it seems that with only 2 years left, releasing an upgrade of the current console would be a little late in coming. Nintendo should put as much focus as possible into making their next system the ultimate console by including advanced hardware and excellent developer support.

The Gamecube, to me, seems very much like a prototype. Nintendo knows that in the near future, in order to stay competitive, their game development costs will skyrocket as the big third-party publishers start raising the graphics bar to stratospheric heights. So Nintendo's first priority when designing the next system is to make it be as developer-friendly as possible. They managed to pull it off with the Gamecube, but it lacked the hardware to really exploit the creativity of developers. With the next system, Nintendo should not put all of its resources into integrating a whole bunch of multimedia-esque features. Instead, they should stick with their current hardware philosophy, while making sure the next system is capable of outperforming the competition.

The Gamecube released long enough after the PS2 to give Nintendo time to create a system more powerful than Sony's, but this time around they intend to launch around the same time as the other two. Nintendo won't have time to develop a really solid hardware-setup if they expect to launch their next system in 2005. So Nintendo may end up using a lot of the Gamecube's hardware, or at least enhanced iterations of the technology.

"GC2" will crush the PS3 and Xbox2 only if they release on time with a relatively inexpensive but totally powerhouse system.

Offline corwin

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2003, 06:47:59 AM »
actually the next step in graphics will be quite a big one.
the improvement will be in the post-process rendering and rendering effects, not the poly-count.

real-time bumb-mapping (doom3), displacement maps, programmable shaders
(as someone mentioned, real-time raytracing is NOT going to happen in like...10 years at least)

be aware that bumb-mapping GREATLY improves the visual effect.
untill now, a brick floor looked FLAT.  nice for a top-down view, but when looked at it with an angle, it looks like
a flat floor with a "brick-print" on it.  there are many more materials that are candidates for bumb-mapping.

...that and post-rendering effects. there is a lot more you can do besides "lensflares and glows".
Think Maya, think paint FX anyone? (any 3d modelers here?..hehe)

can't wait!
pioneer will be doom3.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: ps3/xbox to get crush by GC2?
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2003, 12:03:24 PM »
real time bump mapping, now there is something to get your mouth watering over. I agree whole heartedly corwin. I have been trying to say what you just said in other posts and failed pretty bad. Excellent way to put it into perspective.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2003, 04:02:24 AM »
We already got bump-mapping that can do bricks, look back to Luigis mansion in the basement or the sand in RL. Devs are just not using it right now. If your talking about self shadowing bump maps.... but that is just one effect, you will need alot more than that to make a true leap. Sure the next console would be a "leap" but ending up looking like a hop.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2003, 11:01:41 PM »
Well, there definitely will be major improvements in what the next-gen systems can do graphics-wise, but I think in GC2's case, one of the highest priorities should be making the operating system extremely efficient. You can only go so far with the graphics until you encounter a bottleneck. If the next Nintendo system has a really streamlined built-in engine, or some way to help developers make really efficient code, then the system will be able to render better and with far less load time.

Do dev kits for consoles usually have a built-in development engine, or does the developer usually make one up from scratch or use a third party's engine?

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2003, 12:46:46 PM »
A good dev kit will include efficient code for the developer to build engines.  If we aren't seeing much bumpmapping in GC games, it's likely because Nintendo has either made bump-mapping convoluted in the devkits (and is therefore difficult to implement, so devs don't do it), or developers have felt that including bump-mapping would hurt other aspects of teh graphics.  many of these decisions are made before doing the bulk of the code, as it's easier to play it safe instead of push the system and run into problems down the road.

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2003, 05:44:08 PM »
with regards to the next-generation of consoles, which would be easier to render: a bump-mapped brick wall or a brick wall consisting only of flat textures and polygons (yet with enough polygons to imitate a bump-mapped appearance)?

or do I have the whole bump-mapping thing confused?

anyways, I'd like to see character-user interactivity improve, before the graphics do. so far, most games use scripted conversations to try and simulate interaction, but it'd be nice if a game just had a database of versatile response phrases, voice-recognition, etc.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2003, 01:46:13 AM »
You see with current bumpmaps it is a 2d texture that looks like it is 3d. With realtime bumpmapping like in an ATI tech demo some time ago, the bumps on the bumpmap actually interacts with the enviroment eg, water light, but obviously takes up an astronomical amunt of power to do.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?