Author Topic: Awkward Super Mario 3D World video from Comic Con  (Read 2943 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Awkward Super Mario 3D World video from Comic Con
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:47:40 AM »
This is one of the least enthusiastic videos to promote a game I've ever seen - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/18/nintendo-made-me-feel-warm-and-fuzzy-at-comic-con-2013

I imagine the game will be fun, but I also imagine it would be a lot more fun if they ditched the multiplayer and changed it to an actual 3D platformer like Super Mario 64.

Edit - Super Mario 64, not Super Mario World.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:06:43 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Awkward Super Mario 3D World video from Comic Con
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
super mario world was a 3D platformer?
im playing it on the wii u and it looks pretty not 3d to me

but changing the focus to multiplayer means more wide open level design... which means more nooks and crannys to stash 1-ups

if they would only abolish the time limit.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »
Sorry, I meant Super Mario 64.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 03:07:51 PM »
I just thought it was an incredibly awkward video though. Super Mario 3D Land was called that because it was in 3D, I don't understand calling this Super Mario 3D World, unless it supports Stereoscopic 3D.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 03:20:49 PM »
As anyone who actually played them can tell, multiplayer mode didn't compromise level design in NSMB games.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 05:21:59 PM »
I just thought it was an incredibly awkward video though. Super Mario 3D Land was called that because it was in 3D, I don't understand calling this Super Mario 3D World, unless it supports Stereoscopic 3D.

It's because 3D Land was a huge success on the 3DS and this game is a sequel to that game on the Wii U.  Hence why it's called 3D World so it'll appeal to all the people that liked 3D Land which is currently over 8 million and counting.  It's very basic marketing stuff, nothing complicated about it.  The same reason Nintendo continues to call the New Super Mario Bros series, NEW Super Mario Bros, despite the fact it's been around for over 6 years now and isn't exactly new to people anymore.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:02:14 PM »
As anyone who actually played them can tell, multiplayer mode didn't compromise level design in NSMB games.

I'm not saying multiplayer compromises level design, I'm just saying that it would have to go if they made it a real 3D platformer like 64.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »
i fail to see how 3d world isn't a 3d platformer... theres 3d and there are platforms :D

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »
3D as in the camera can move around you, rather than the tilting with the Wii U Gamepad like in Nintendoland. 3D as in it's not a (mostly) fixed angle like Animal Crossing.

Basically they should have made a new Mario Galaxy game instead. This looks like a handheld game on the big screen, to me at least.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 04:46:07 PM »
Basically they should have made a new Mario Galaxy game instead. This looks like a handheld game on the big screen, to me at least.

Well yeah considering the gameplay is a sequel to a handheld game on the Wii U.  Of course even then, the levels in 3D World already look much bigger then the levels from 3D Land and they seem to have more exploration then the levels in 3D Land did.  So they are changing things to take advantage of the fact it's a home console game now.

Hence why the name is 3D World instead of 3D Land 2, because it's a bigger game then 3D Land was.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 05:41:19 PM »
And using Mario Galaxy wasn't the best example to use after speaking about A controllable camera. A lot of those levels were in a fixed perspective too.

I know what you mean and I know what you want. Perhaps it's still coming and this was quicker to release in order to get more games on the shelf. I'll likely buy it because I never played 3D Land.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »
a fixed camera doesn't mean the game can't have some focus on exploration, tbh i think you are over reacting