Author Topic: Has PGC considered Bittorrent for media downloads?  (Read 5531 times)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Has PGC considered Bittorrent for media downloads?
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2004, 03:19:41 AM »

Mouse: You're loading the wrong files. Depending on the file I can get 50kb/s constant, which is more than I get off most http/ftp servers.

Man, I've downloaded a LOT of stuff using bit torrent, and it's a magical day when I get a decent download at all. I have never gotten above 15 KB/s, and my bit torrent download rate has never been faster than my normal download rate.

My upload rates are always really fast, though, heh.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2004, 09:21:37 AM »
BT tought me patience.  I downloaded half of Scrapped Princess in batch torrents with like 5 files each (i think 'twas 5) with speeds of .5-3 kb/s.  ZIt took goddamn months.   But I was content.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
RE:Has PGC considered Bittorrent for media downloads?
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2004, 10:15:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill
Ah, your problem mousie is one KN and I always used to complain about...You need to open ports 6881-6889 through your router's config to fix your speed problem... ^_^

I knew it could be something about the ports but I didn't know which ones. Mouse_Clicker, I hope you have your problem solved.

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
Dude, we wouldn't need a middleman or site like suprnova, we could just seed it from our own machines and throw the torrent file up on the site.

Just like he said, as long as you know how to set up the tracker then everything will work fine.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:Has PGC considered Bittorrent for media downloads?
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2004, 06:55:32 PM »
Although I appreciate the suggestion, there are a few negative arguments that immediately spring to my mind:

1. Our current method of media distribution actually works quite well.
2. Offloading media distribution would not speed up the web server or really help the site in any way.
3. BitTorrent is a very high-level distribution method which often requires significant system tweaking before becoming effective.  If we endorsed this program, we'd have to provide some level of support for it, which would be a nightmare.
4. If we seeded torrents from our media server, people would be legitimately downloading our media, through our bandwidth, without viewing our ads.  I don't think our servers host or our advertisers would be very happy with that.

Once you have downloaded something from PGC, I don't really care if or how you share it around with friends or strangers, as long as the file is unaltered (e.g. you don't try to splice off our logo).  So you can seed any PGC torrents you want to, or share them over Kazaa, or dump them all over IRC, and it's fine with me...but I don't think we'll be actively involving ourselves in any of those schemes.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2004, 06:35:19 PM »
Let's start with the basics:  have high-quality media worth sharing.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.