Author Topic: Cave Story WiiWare  (Read 25495 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Cave Story WiiWare
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »
Heh. First one I found was in the dark room. :-)
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2010, 09:55:03 AM »
I actually had the hardest time trying to figure out how to get to the puppy in the dark house.  Stupid, stupid sand croc.

I love that you can use the machine gun to propel yourself upward.

I've found that Cave Story works against my normal RPG-ish tendency to check every corner and collect everything;  sometimes you are rewarded for not immediately grabbing an item or immediately upgrading an existing one.  I sort of like that, since it's going to add to the replay value... especially since I think I may have already screwed up my potential for getting the best ending.   
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:11:21 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2010, 11:49:50 AM »
Since we all kind of crapped the bed on making a thread for this game for Game Club. I think we're just going to use this.

So, for the next episode of Newscast Game Club (to be recorded on April 7), we'll be talking about this game, and we'll use your forum comments (we swear).
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 01:33:53 PM »
I beat the game last night--at least I did if you count getting the horribly sad ending.  Gonna go back and get a better one now.  :)

I also managed to completely freeze the game, which forced me to turn off my Wii by holding the power button down for several seconds--haven't had to do that in a while. 

I actually had the hardest time trying to figure out how to get to the puppy in the dark house.  Stupid, stupid sand croc.

I had the same problem--it took me forever to figure out how to get to it.  I kept looking for a hidden path.  I didn't realize you could use your machine gun to get to propel yourself upwards.  Brilliant!

sometimes you are rewarded for not immediately grabbing an item or immediately upgrading an existing one.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  Please explain!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »
I beat the game last night--at least I did if you count getting the horribly sad ending.

Do you mean the one where you take the dragon off the island and settle down while the professor sends his mutants to ravage the world?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2010, 03:39:58 PM »
That's the one!  Why--is there a sadder one?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2010, 05:22:41 PM »

sometimes you are rewarded for not immediately grabbing an item or immediately upgrading an existing one.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  Please explain!

Read at your own risk...
For instance, if you pass trading in your Polar Star for Curly Brace's Machine Gun, it can be traded for a different weapons later on in the game that otherwise can not be obtained. 

Also, if you pass on talking to Professor Booster in the Labyrinth and grabbing the Booster v. 8, you can obtain a better version of the booster (v. 2.0) later on.    Booster v. 2.0 is needed to access to certain optional areas later in the game.  Also, passing on the early version of the Booster allows access to another item, the Tow Cable, that is needed to rescue Curly Brace from the flooded Core room.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:26:44 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2010, 05:25:48 PM »
HOLY FUDGE

I guess I'm playing the game again once I finish this play through.  ;D

Although, I have no idea why I'd want to give up my precious machine gun--it's flipping awesome.

EDIT:  After thinking about it for a while, I'm stumped--how is one supposed to get to the dog in the dark room without the machine gun?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:26:20 PM by vudu »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2010, 08:29:02 PM »
There are platforms you can jump to. It's like a dark Mega Man room.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2010, 11:02:35 PM »
I picked up this game last Monday alongside OB64.  With all the other stuff I'm playing right now, though (FF XIII, God of War III, Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean 4), I'm not sure when I'm going to find time to really get into the game.  I threw it on tonight just before tonight's Jazz game, and played a few minutes of it...and promptly died on the first piece of coral/spikes because this game has some weird, floaty physics.  Just running down the hill at the start of the game was apparently enough to make him bounce off the floor and fall into it.  Huh.  Nice music, though.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:04:12 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2010, 02:25:39 AM »
I died on those first spikes a couple of times, and promptly turned the game off.   I tried it a nights later, and decided to give it at least an hour;  once I worked on powering up a weapon and beat a few bosses, I was hooked.   Once you get a feel for how the physics work, it's a lot more fun.  Also, once you collect a few life powerups, those little patches of spikes don't instantly kill you!   

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2010, 03:00:10 AM »
Call me cheap but I am enjoying the freeware version and nothing so far has made me wish that I had the game on the Wii.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2010, 09:29:38 PM »
The boss rush as what I assume to be the end of the game can piss off.

Anyone have any tips on how to get through it?

I can beat Misery without too many problems, but she uses up the majority of my missiles if I want to beat her without losing too much health.  Then I use a combination of the machine gun and King's sword on the doctor's first form.  By the time the third one rolls around I'm drained of both energy and weapons and he murders me pretty quickly.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »
Well I got the game yesterday and I played for a while.
It is a good game.

Has anybody tried out the original settings as far as the music and graphics go? I find that I like the original music better than the new music.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »
Well I got the game yesterday and I played for a while.
It is a good game.

Has anybody tried out the original settings as far as the music and graphics go? I find that I like the original music better than the new music.

I can't compare, but I love it on the PC.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2010, 08:01:23 PM »
Hey there's a reason the sound is screwed up.

http://www.giantbomb.com/cave-story/61-20124/cave-story-wii-having-sound-issues/35-395808/
There is no percussion in the wiiware version at all. They will hopefully patch it back in. :/

Also, I just beat the game with the easy ending. Sweet ****.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2010, 05:58:41 PM »

I can beat Misery without too many problems, but she uses up the majority of my missiles if I want to beat her without losing too much health.  Then I use a combination of the machine gun and King's sword on the doctor's first form.  By the time the third one rolls around I'm drained of both energy and weapons and he murders me pretty quickly.
For Misery I would recommend saving your missiles, you can avoid taking almost any damage by getting directly under her with the machine gun, but when you see her charge up to summon a block or some dark magic, move quickly to the side. Also, if you lose some health use her bats to build back up.

I can beat Misery almost without being hit at this point, but I still can't manage to beat the final boss. I've been able to fight off Sue and Misery, but at that point, between those two and the two doctor forms, I'm too weak to actually fight the core. Any tips?

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »
Definitely better playing this on CC than a keyboard.

BTW, I'm a wuss and I played on easy-I can't figure out what changed, though. Do the enemies take less damage? Do I take less damage? Do my weapons charge up faster? Graphics are great-kind of like Shake It.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2010, 08:23:54 PM »

Lots of spoiler text coming up here.  Sorry about that, but it's best not to reveal things that people might not want to read by accident.

Last boss discussion:
I agree - don't use missiles on Misery.  It's much more effective to get right under her and fire away with either the Machine Gun or Polar Star or the Snake or whatever equivalent weapon you might have.  Save the missiles for later bosses - I like to use them for the Doctor's second form so I that don't have to get close, although sometimes use the Sword there too.

Another tip: you don't need to fight off Sue and Misery when fighting the Possessed Island Core.  Just ignore them (but keep moving so you don't become a target) and focus on jumping between platforms and nailing the main boss with missiles whenever his mouth is open.  Keeping Misery alive can actually be beneficial because she will sometime summon a bunch of easy enemies when you are on the ground - kill those enemies for missile and life refills as necessary.

Although the final boss rush *is* hard, it's not impossible by any means.  With a little bit of practice you'll be fine.  By the way, you found the stash of power-ups at the top of the screen before entering the room with Misery, right?  So you are heading in at full power?

Possible weapon spoiler:
If you want to make the final battles easier, try saving Mr Little (if it's not already too late).  Where Kazuma is waiting with the dragon, you can fall underneath the platform and find a hidden door with a small family.  The wife is looking for her husband, who is in the Graveyard where you found Arthur's Key at the start of the game.  Bring him back and you'll get an awesome weapon - or at least it is awesome as long as you don't power it up.  Great choice for boss battles since getting hit won't make it less powerful.[/spoilers]

One thing I really like about this game is that choices do affect things, but don't ruin the experience at all.  Some weapons and items can only be had if you make the "right" choices... but doing things differently still lead to a satisfying path.  For example, if you don't trade for the Machine Gun there are some real benefits later - but I'm using the Machine Gun on my current playthrough and absolutely loving it.  Having a "good" and "best" ending works the same way - although I have no idea how to get the best ending yet... I just know there are places I haven't been yet and people I need to find a way to save.

Another thing I really like is how playing through the game a second (or third) time feels really good. A lot of games don't have any reason to bring you back for more, but Cave Story seems like it's got a lot of secrets and small details worth looking for.  The game also feels really good when you play though a second time.  Tasks that took a lot of exploration the first time are much quicker.  Boss battles with challenging patterns already unraveled are easier.  It gives the player a real sense of mastery over the game to breeze through subsequent plays.

Anyway, glad to hear others are enjoying the game too.  Cave Story sucked up a lot of my gaming time recently and was definitely worthwhile.  Now if only I can figure out how to open the clock door when climbing the wall!  Maybe this time. 
:)
NNID: ejamer

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2010, 09:09:50 PM »
Wow, I completely forgot about The Littles!  I found their house but didn't know what to do so I skipped over it.  Guess I can go back the help them--that should help.

Also, I just remembered about the hidden room about halfway up the Outer Wall.  There's a locked chest in there and I couldn't figure out how to open it.  Any help?  ;D

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 07:43:42 AM »
Also, I just remembered about the hidden room about halfway up the Outer Wall.  There's a locked chest in there and I couldn't figure out how to open it.  Any help?  ;D

I'm trying to figure that one out too...  But am going for the "best" ending this time by fixing as many of my little mistakes as possible, so hopefully that will help.

Another (possible) weapon spoiler:
Remember the first room where you got the Polar Star gun at the start of the game?  You can visit that room again later - I used the Machine gun to get up there - and the old man talks about someone stealing his gun before it's finished.  Since you can trade in that gun two other places for upgrades, I'm betting he'll give you something too if you keep it.

A funny note: I just found the map.  Played through the entire game without it earlier, and have to say it didn't seem necessary at all.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2010, 12:08:03 PM »
ejamer: from what I read from other sources you get the most powerful weapon in the game if you actually hand him the polar star.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »
ejamer: from what I read from other sources you get the most powerful weapon in the game if you actually hand him the polar star.

Dang.  Don't know if I can do that this game... since I've already traded my Polar Star to Curly for her cool machine gun.  I don't regret the choice though, because it's awesome how the powered-up machine gun can use recoil to make you fly.  Might have to try doing things differently next time I start over.

Which brings me back to the fact that this game is very enjoyable because of the way it encourages multiple play-throughs to see everything.
:)

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
I think I'm screwed.  Is it possible to get back to to the farm after you've saved in the upper portion (after rocketing past the instant death traps)?  As far as I can tell, it's not, which means I can't go back to get the more powerful weapon.  :(

I beat the doctor's second form but I have so little health I can barely scratch the final (?) boss.

Out of curiosity, how much HP should I have at this point?  Mine's 45.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »
I think I'm screwed.  Is it possible to get back to to the farm after you've saved in the upper portion (after rocketing past the instant death traps)?  As far as I can tell, it's not, which means I can't go back to get the more powerful weapon.  :(

I beat the doctor's second form but I have so little health I can barely scratch the final (?) boss.

Out of curiosity, how much HP should I have at this point?  Mine's 45.

Ooh... never tried going back down, but there are other parts in the game where it doesn't let you backtrack freely so I wouldn't be surprised.  45 health sounds just about right though - it's definitely possible to win with that amount of health.

Do you have the machine gun, or something else for a weapon?  I'll try playing the final bosses again tomorrow and see if I can offer better comments about possible strategy.