Author Topic: Cave Story WiiWare  (Read 25496 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Story WiiWare
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
It depends on the weapon how many hits you can take before losing a level, e.g. the MG's level 3 is always lost if you take any damage (but in turn the recoil from it lets you use it like a jetpack at that level which is why I wasn't sad that I traded my starting weapon for the MG even when I saw the offer to have it upgraded later on because I just got so damn much use out of the MG's recoil that it was worth it).

I palyed the PC version until what I believe is the final boss sequence, the Professor fights and then the island core with the two mutants (Sue and Misery?).

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 02:28:48 PM »
I am LOVING this game!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 02:46:12 PM »
It appears that you and I are the only ones.  :(
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »
Still waiting on my prize...

In other news this game was Number 1 this week on the Wii Shop Channel.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »
Can someone give me a 2-line description on this game?  Bill likes this, but I never trust him right away.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 03:33:11 PM »
Charming, refined retro sidescroller with upgradable weapons, Metroid-style gadgetry, and a strangely engrossing storyline.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 03:35:02 PM »
Cave Story is the best NES/SNES game that you've never played.  It's compared to Super Metroid quite often (rightfully so), but it's the pacing is a lot quicker and not as exploration-heavy.  It's challenging without being super difficult/frustrating.  My only criticism of the game is that the boss fights are over so quickly that they don't feel very satisfying. *

I think that'll fit on two lines, provided you have a wide screen monitor and your resolution is the same as mine.  Otherwise, I cheated a bit.  ;)

Seriously, it's a good game.  BUY IT.

* Note:  These comments are based on the first 2 hours of game play.  Things could change later in the game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 03:37:15 PM »
Are the weapon shots focused in appearance like Metroid's, or do they cover the screen like crazy like shoot'em-ups?

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 03:41:40 PM »
I've only found three weapons so far, and none of them go all Gradius on you, even with upgrades. Each weapon upgrades three times (horrible memories of Blaster Master Overdrive), but getting hit doesn't severely downgrade them. You just lose some weapon XP. If you JUST hit level 3, you'll get knocked back to level 2, but not to the BEGINNING of level 2, if that makes sense. Since enemies drop weapon XP like candy, it's very easy to bring your level back up.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »
In other words, SIMON BELMONT would kick ass here.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »
Depends on the weapon type and the current weapon level.

Some weapons are "normal" shots and others are quite crazy.  I've got 4 weapons so far (all have unlimited ammo except as noted).  The first is your basic gun but the range is only about half a screen.  The second is a powerful rocket launcher but it has limited ammo.  The third shoots out fireballs that bounce across the bottom of the screen; you can only have two fire balls on screen at once.  The fourth shoots rapid-fire bubbles--this gun is neat because when it's powered up the bubbles will start to hover around you before they shoot out; you can either keep holding the fire button and it will eventually start shooting them out rapid fire or you can let it go and a barrage of bubbles will fill about 20% of the horizontal playing field.  It's quite satisfying.

Regarding the weapon level that I mentioned before, each weapon starts out at level 0 and can be powered up to level 3 with enemy drops.  Every time you get hit your weapon level will decrease by a bit.  It's kind of like Gradius or Blaster Master, but it's not frustrating to get hit because you're constanting picking up energy to raise your weapon level.  Most enemies will drop enough weapon powerups to raise your weapon level by around 20% of a level.  It's kind of like a game of tug-o-rope and you'll run into a group of enemies with guns blazing and then they'll start to hit you a few times and your weapon level will drop so you'll have to back off and play a bit more conservatively until you power up again.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2010, 03:13:09 AM »
The weapons are fairly confined, there's no crazy super spread stuff here. They get maybe a bit bigger than Super Metroid weapons.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2010, 03:52:00 AM »
Each weapon upgrades three times (horrible memories of Blaster Master   Overdrive), but getting hit doesn't severely downgrade them.

So it is a fantastic addition? Alright I'm sold on Cave Story now that it is compared to the FANTASTIC sequel to Blaster Master.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2010, 05:09:15 AM »
Anyone know where the "Charcoal" is?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 10:19:15 AM »
Anyone know where the "Charcoal" is?

This took me a long time to find, too.  Go all the way back to the beginning of the level and visit the very first hut before the transporter back to the main hub.  Be sure you have the item needed to extinguish fires first.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 03:23:29 PM »
Bah--the one thing I DON'T try. Thanks, vudu.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2010, 01:29:37 AM »
Finally got the chance to play this over the weekend.  I LOVE it so far. 

I just had to abandon Curly Brace to the watery depths following the fight with the Core.  I hope that's not the last time she shows up, but I've been surprised by the number of NPC deaths in the game, already!  It's amazing that given the game's limited dialog, it's kind of tugging at my heartstrings a little. 

Edit:  Just found out that I didn't have the item I needed to save Curly Brace!   :-[   Maybe next playthrough...

I really like the fully-powered Sword weapon. :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:50:48 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2010, 01:44:32 PM »
Now I can't find the last puppy. And yes, I already found the one in the treasure chest. The errand-running gets a little old in this game.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2010, 01:57:49 PM »
Now I can't find the last puppy. And yes, I already found the one in the treasure chest. The errand-running gets a little old in this game.

Did you get the one hidden in the dark room?  You get there through a hidden hole (marked by a dog paw) in the ceiling in the long corridor leading towards to the warehouse (towards the beginning of the area).

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »
Got that one, too. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in Curly Brace's house, since, like the Charcoal, it's the one place I haven't looked. I wish enemies didn't respawn when you go in and out of a door!!!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2010, 02:47:39 PM »
Did you get the one that runs across the main section of the floor?

I seem to remember one being by the warehouse door all the way on the right side--he's either right in front of the door or he might be hidden in the upper section on the left side of the room (run past the door and then use the two floating platforms to get to the second floor--there are a couple blocks up above that you can break).

Oh hey, when you said you found the one in the treasure chest, I assume you meant the one in the chest that's hidden in a section of wall before you get to the old woman's house.  There's another hidden path on the right side of the vertical shaft leading down to the woman's house.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:49:30 PM by vudu »

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2010, 03:03:27 PM »
Yeah, there's a Heart Container in the other one, right? Got that.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's all of them.  You got the first one in Curly's house, right?

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »
No. I guess that's where I'm headed tonight!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 03:25:32 PM »
Doh!  I didn't know you could miss that one.  I thought you had to bring it before the old woman would even talk to you.